Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Reupholstering Club Chairs - Help Choosing Fabric

Posted by baseballmom94 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 24, 12 at 11:01

I'm planning to have 2 Thomasville (made in 2003) club chairs reupholstered for my family room. Currently, they have a red chenille diamond (tone on tone)fabric which I've enjoyed for 9 years. I want to go with a neutral beige/sand color fabric. The other upholstered furniture in the room is a cognac leater color traditional leather sofa and chair in same leather.

I've noticed that linen look fabrics are a big trend in all the furniture showrooms and I lovethis look as my taste leans toward rustic European/French, however, I want something that will wear well for the next 8 - 10 years. I also want something that is $30 or less per yard. I have 2 teens but no pets. I'm considering a diamond tone on tone chenille (similar to what I have) in a sand color. Is chenille becoming dated? Any suggestions for well-wearing fabric that will coordinate with the European/French rustic look and cognac leather that I have going on? Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Reupholstering Club Chairs - Help Choosing Fabric

Can you post some pics?

o

Since club chairs are large and take a lot of fabric linen is usually not the best option for wear and tear. But, I would go nuetral on the light side for versitilty later. you can add throw pillows with pattern for color so they will longer and go with anything.

Custom slip covers are also an option to consider in a white denim or white/off white canvas fabric that can be washed.

Performance Velvet - one that is durable in a lighter tone or a faux suede.

A large stripe is fun also in tan and off white.

Not sure what the look is you are going for so pics would help of the room.

Pottery Barn has lots of nuetral club type chairs for inspiration looks.

o

I just used a Duralee faux-velvet type fabric to reupholster two large club chairs. Durability was a huge concern for us given that they were going to get a lot of use - the fabric is rated 200,000 (yes, two hundred thousand) double rubs, crush & stain resistent. It was a little more than your desired price point, but not too much, as I recall. It was from book D2707 - pattern # 14225 in case you want to check it out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here