Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diginthedirt17

Suggestions for freshening up my brown family room!

diginthedirt17
14 years ago

So, here is my brown family room. I was accenting in red over the winter but I'd like to lighten it up for spring a bit. I was thinking of adding a grayish-blue to the mix. We painted the trim white and added more substantial baseboard, but it still needs help!

The roman blinds are red, tan and white stripe, they will most likeley stay. I added the blue floral pillows yesterday, and bought the crackled glass lamp from Target but not sure.

What I'd really like is for the wall with the photos on it to be symmetrical, so I either need another end table and put lamps on both tables, or maybe wall sconces next to the ledges? And lose the fake tree? More art on the walls?

I'd love any suggestions to freshen it up a bit. We don't have a coffee table b/c it's such a small room and the kids are always rolling around on the floor, so we just use side tables. Oh, and I know the lazy boy chair is hideous! I'm hoping to replace that this spring with something similar but cuter!

thank you! :)

Comments (5)

• leafy02
    14 years ago

Adorable dog!

I like the idea of symmetrical end tables. Or putting a table in the corner between the couch and loveseat, and then end tables on the other ends.

I'm not a fan of fake trees, so my answer would always be to let it go, but that's me.

Hard to judge the lamp without a shade, but I think the fact that it's glass adds less color to the room than a solid lamp would.

To add color, you might want to put more strongly colored pillows on the couch instead of the paler floral, add a solid-color throw, or switch out the pot the tree is in for a colored one if you are keeping the tree, or put a big houseplant in it if you're ditching the tree.

Like you, I have tan walls and brown furniture, so I have to get my color in in these details.

• jimoba
    14 years ago

I like leafy02's suggestions about the bolder pillows (Pier 1 has lots with brown and red), throw and big houseplant instead of the tree. May I suggest changing the furniture layout too? The position of the windows in my living room is very similar, so I've attached some b&a shots of how my sofa and loveseat are arranged; I think it could work in your room too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Living Room Pics

• diginthedirt17
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you both! I moved the fake tree to the basement for a while and picked up an indoor palm today at HD. It's huge, but at least it's real, right? :)

I'll check out Pier 1, I haven't been there in ages. I'd love any more suggestions you might have!

• deeinohio
    14 years ago

Very pretty wall color! I also really like your shades, but agree with the others to add some bolder color with pillows. It's hard to tell, but that size lamp looks more like an accent lamp to me than a table lamp, and I don't think the cracked glass adds anything. Lamps are a real opportunity to add either personality or some more color to your room. Love your puppy; is she guarding the baby? How sweet.
    Dee

• sis2two
    14 years ago

Have you considered using a table with lamp on one side of your sofa and a floor lamp on the other side rather than having both sides the same? Also an area rug over the carpet to anchor the seating area would add color and warmth. You have a good neutral wall color which allows you to use most colors. I agree with getting a different lamp to give some color and weight to the room. You may want to consider a picture for the area too instead of the mirror or on another wall.