Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kswl2

Not 100% Sure About This Rug.....

kswl2
10 years ago

It goes with all the fabrics better than I could have hoped. The size is perfect. It is over budget but in the realm of what one would pay for something perfect. I have it on approval from an Atlanta rug merchant. I keep wanting to take it up to my library.... Thoughts?

Sofa in cork (tan) herringbone, pillows in green linen and tartan:

Green for swivel chairs:

Four of these fit together to form a cloverleaf table. The top of each section will be upholstered with the red, tan and brown corded fabric. We were planning to refinish the table, it is dark green. We may not have to now (although I am still leaning towards a distressed barn red):

I almost feel it is too formal for this space. But, most of it will be hidden by furniture. If I keep it we probably will use a sisal colored wool sisal in the front room, unless I can find a really pale red and gold rug I like.

This post was edited by kswl on Sun, Mar 9, 14 at 11:09

Comments (40)

• ellendi
    10 years ago

I agree about how formal it looks. Also, on my monitor, it doesn't compliment the color of the brick. But, this could be different in real life.

• Sugar Plum
    10 years ago

Unfortunately, I agree with ellendi. That is a gorgeous rug, but the colors are at odds with the beautiful brick on my monitor, and the look seems too formal.

If most of the rug will be under furniture (and it is over budget) I don't think I would invest in this rug for your space.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Me three...all work together well except for the brick which reads a tad pink to me.

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The rug looks very gold in the pictures. IRL it is not that gold-ish. Grout will be oyster gray, which is a medium taupe. In situ, it looks very good but something is bugging me. Walls will be a putty color, woodwork will be darker shade of walls.

ID said to me when we started this process, "there are a million rugs out there, we will pick that last." I was not shopping for a rug, but saw the pattern thru the back of this one (it was folded) and asked to look. Sent him photos and he likes it for this space, but he can "see" the finished product in his mind's eye, with furniture, wall color, etc. It is a very tightly woven, very fine rug. I am conflicted!

• Arapaho-Rd
    10 years ago

Beautiful rug, but I agree with the others. Will the floor be sealed which may change/darken the color?

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I love the rug, it goes perfectly color wise with the other elements of your room but agree that it doesn't look good with the brick. I love it though so if you can use it in your library you should.

• jjam
    10 years ago

In agreement with the others here. I would wait until your brick is sealed and finished before choosing the rug. If you could keep it and use it elsewhere I absolutely would; it's gorgeous.

• massagerocks
    10 years ago

The rug looks great with your fabrics, but on my monitor it doesnt look as great with your brick. I think you should wait until your brick is grouted. It seems jarring against the brick (too fine/formal?), but maybe not if covered up mostly by furniture. I picture a more neutral style rug such as a Dash and Albert?

• luckygal
    10 years ago

Since colors on monitors can vary and not be true my opinion may not count for much and the brick color looks completely different in pic 2.

I do agree with others that the brick looks pink-ish in pic 1 so IMO the rug is not the best choice. If the brick does lean toward pink it would be best not to use green too near it as they are opposite on the color wheel and will intensify each other. Also IMO gold with pink may not be the best choice.

I think your scheme needs something darker. Would a rug that is predominately rust work for you?

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I am one who thinks that Persian rugs can go anywhere, but I'm in agreement with the others, that this particular one clashes with the brick.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I don't think the rug works. Of note, the fabrics work with the rug. So, by extension, are you sure the fabrics work with the brick?

• kitschykitch
    10 years ago

I'd vote "no".

The bricks are almost forcing a southwestern palette, if your concentrate on the color. They are the most unique and lovely element in the room, and your fabric and rug choices seem to ignore them rather then enhance them, to me.

• nutsaboutplants
    10 years ago

Pretty rug, but not on that floor. The floor is pretty too, but is clamoring for some cooler colors with grey or blue tones, IMHO.

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The fabrics are wonderful with the brick.

Madder:

Cork, green, tartan:

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gosh, kitchsy, if I thought the bricks were forcing a southwestern palette I would rip them all out with my own teeth, ouch!

This post was edited by kswl on Sun, Mar 9, 14 at 13:04

• kitschykitch
    10 years ago

Oops, sorry, but like the poster after me, I'd like to see some grey or blue. Southwestern has been tacky-fied but it doesn't have to be!

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lol, nothing wrong with it per se and no offense meant, but that color scheme is not part of my overall vision for this area or the house.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Try a Persian rug in brown, earthy tones. It'll go with both your furniture fabrics and the brick.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Or maybe this?

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tibbrix, there is no orange in any of the fabrics or the brick. The lighter green color for swivel chairs is also a factor.

I think we're going to have to paint one area of the wall.

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

I love the rug, but I don't like it with the brick. Perhaps it is because the brick has yet to be grouted, but it presents a very busy pattern in the picture that does not enhance the rug in any way. I suspect you will be happier with a rug that has very little pattern or a small all-over pattern so as not to fight with the brick.

This post was edited by Fun2BHere on Sun, Mar 9, 14 at 14:11

• MarinaGal
    10 years ago

As someone who is in love with your brick floors, I think that the rug is too formal (as you considered earlier in this thread). I also think that it competes with and therefore detracts from the beauty of the brick. The brick is a strong element. I would look at something much more neutral - probably limited texture and no pattern. That way the brick and your beautiful fabrics can stand out.

• dabunch
    10 years ago

Your brick floor has a lot of texture and color. THAT is a statement itself. I would go with some sort of cream, beige, sagey, or natural rug; something warm but not too texture-like.

You have enough color and pattern in your fabrics, so the floor (Brick) with a plain rug will look good. Have you considered a large stripe(cotton) type rug?

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We have to have a thick rug with a very thick fiber pad where heavy furniture sits on the floor. The brick is uneven and we need the layers of rug and pad to help distribute the weight even a bit, and to protect the bricks against breaking. A cotton rug would not work for that reason, and stylistically it would not be right either. This room will be casual, but not rustic except for the brick floor.

I am going to try my library rug down there. Would love to keep this one for library but not if I cannot switch them.

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have taken a photo that represents more accurately the way the rug looks against the brick irl. It's a close up because when I step back with the iPhone camera the bricks look bluish next to the rug, which they absolutely do not in person. The rug also looks gold in the pictures when it is mostly green and darker tan. Still planning to swap the rugs to see how they look but does this change any minds?

This also shows the little bit of mortar / grout we tried, it has lightened considerably.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I'm sorry, ummm ... what did you say? I get mesmerized by that brick every time.

I trust you that it works, but I don't think it shows off the brick, either.

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I know, I actually wish we could do without rugs completely, but we just cannot. I am painting one wall this week to see what happens. I have this rug in our library upstairs, but it is smaller, about 8 x 11. It will also be more difficult to find one for the front room that works with this.

This is a closeup of one of the ends; the detail of this rug is phenomenal, with more knots per square inch and many more colors, although concentrated at both ends of the rug.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

How about something like this, maybe in a chocolate brownâ¦see link?

Here is a link that might be useful: Rugs

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I like those sisal rugs, tib, but no flat weave will be hefty enough to use under the furniture. We need a very dense rug with a thick fiber pad where furniture will be on the floor.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Yes, I saw that, but you could put a thick pad underneath the rug. I think the natural fiver of the sisal would look great on the natural stone of the brick and they'd complement each other nicely, while adding to the casual warmth of your room.

• theclose
    10 years ago

I like the rug from the library better, but it is hard to make a decision without seeing it on top of the brick. Any way you could photoshop the rug onto the brick floor?

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Actually I am going to try to get it down there Thursday if they've replaced the hazy bricks by that time. I'd love to have the green rug in our library below:

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I love the library rug, and it's really different.

Fun of that too, is you have two rooms that feel new, then!

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

You are so close, something very close to what you picked but with a tic of the brick color here and there. But I know you know this : )

• amykath
    10 years ago

What I am seeing is that the various colors of the rug compete with the brick. I think the brick needs to be the busier of the two (not that it's busy) and I would go with a solid color rug and then use pattern elsewhere. Probably sparingly. Just my two cents.

Love your space and of course the brick!!!

• amykath
    10 years ago

I also like the second rug tibbrix showed.

• teeda
    10 years ago

I agree with the suggestions of a solid rug in your space. But I do think the new rug would be gorgeous in your library!

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

I think you need more of the brick color in the rug and your red-ish tones need to be tweaked to accommodate your brick. However, not seeing your brick in person I probably did not nail the red-ish tone tweaking in my mock up. But you get the idea.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Mon, Mar 10, 14 at 10:26

• chispa
    10 years ago

On my monitor the bricks look pink and the rug looks mustard, so they don't look good with each other at all. One of your photos shows a daylight shot, which really changes the colors of the brick and fabric swatch. Might be one of those cases where the colors just won't photograph well enough in this space for us to be of any real help. My dining room chairs are like this, perfect IRL, but do not photograph well.

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, that is what I am afraid of also, Chispa. The rug isn't the least bit mustardy, but it looks so in most of the pictures. I am going to keep it until they grout. Had long talk with ID today and he is 100% confident that when walls are painted, furniture is in, all is installed, it will look just as it does in the pic of it i like. He's never given me bad advice, so I'm going with it. We may be redoing my son's two room suite for my mother next year, and she loves the rug, so it could always move upstairs :-)

Scouring the factory for more fabric for swivel chairs, we are 2 yds shy of the amount required by Lee for COM. They haven't come back with the up charge on the banded hem yet, that should be interesting. Have def decided on black iron sconces and antique brass swing arm lamps, not gilded iron for either.