Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carriem25

Yet another bar stool question

carriem25
16 years ago

I dragged my dh (with the d not so much meaning "dear"....) to the furniture store to show him the stools I had picked out. They met his specifications exactly - no back, swivel seat, sturdy construction. All seemed good.

Then he fell in love.

Now, mostly my dh is not really interested in anything decor related, but occasionally he has a strong opinion on something. I usually indulge him, since our tastes are not dissimilar and his choices are generally in line what I was originally looking at.

Here is our kitchen, with the bar area is question:

It is a great room style, open to the dining area:

Here is the stool that dh picked out:

{{!gwi}}

With this qualifier: there are about 20 "die cut" backs to choose from (I could only find a picture of the lighthouse, but the coffee cup one is also very common), and dh would like three different ones : hockey, football, and fishing.

Did I mention that dh is sports fan(atic)?

He was fine with the colour and upholstery I picked (a medium brown frame with dark brown vinyl seats almost identical to what is on the dining chairs), but he really wants these die-cut backed stools. Funny, since he was the one who was adamantly against the backs in the first place, LOL.

The stools are well made and comfortable. We can order them with a "memory swivel" that will always return them facing front. They are pricey but have a ten year warranty and will get daily use from our two kids (13 and nearly 10) as well as frequent guests.

Am I crazy for even *considering* this? Will they look absolutley horrible? While the sports "theme" would not be my first choice, I don't *hate* them.

Thoughts?

Carrie

Comments (5)

• cind11
    16 years ago

I don't think you're crazy, I think it's nice you seem to want to make your DH happy. However, I just can't picture bar stools with a sports theme in a kitchen. It seems like it might look odd. Do you have any other room the bar stools could go in, like a finished basement? Then you could have non-sports themed stools in your kitchen.

• carriem25
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I decided on a compromise. I went into the store today and ordered one stool - if I absolutely can't live with it, it can live down in the (fully finished and sports themed!) basement. If I think I can live with it, I can order the others after.

I'll post a pic when it comes in two weeks!

Carrie

• mimi_2006
    16 years ago

I have no advice but I gotta say that's funny. Don't you just love it when you ask their opinion and then they FINALLY give you one on something that leaves you speechless? LOL

Good compromise, you left yourself a way out if it's too bad :-)

• magothyrivergirl
    16 years ago

carriem25 - I have been shopping/ browsing online for barstools this week - I saw the same exact barstools at a few different places - I had the similar Martini one bookmarked - $189.00 free shipping @ Target - of all places! like 900 difference barstools - who knew?. I loved them. I think they are definitely a love or hate stool. Shop around is my point. I'm jealous! just kidding! I couldn't justify the expense right now - I opted for black, wood, Nappa stools 2/$159.00- free shipping, I need 6 - can live with 4. I got them the next day, and can be returned to a Target store if there is a problem. I sell commercial furniture (lots of chairs) and I couldn't beat the price or quality- for the basement bar soon to be completed. I am excited that you ordered the stool - it will be fun! Hope it is everything we think it is!

• annie1971
    16 years ago

OH MY Goodness!!
    They have no opinion, and they have no opinion, and they don't care, then -- BAMM -- they have an opinion! Where did that come from!?
    That's happened to me and caught me off guard, with a slap across the face more than once! What's the deal with DH's that suddenly come awake during an important decision?
    I really want to help you and know what you want to do to involve DH in your home projects; but do not let him influence you on an important decision that you know is WRONG! Been there, you will regret it! I have desperately wanted my husband to participate in our decisions, but he simply does not care and doesn't get involved too often. On the rare occasions when he did have an opinion, I wanted to give him his opportunity for input; but it was way too late in the process and very limited in scope, and I have regretted it. Take charge and let your DH make a decision where it doesn't compromise your long range decorating decisions unless you're both in it together. If he wants input, make sure he's in the decision process from the beginning. Good Luck
    Annie