Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kisforkyla

Help finding complimentary lighting in kitchen and breakfast.

kisforkyla
11 years ago

We are about to start building our next home. I have chosen this light:

to go above the island. It's going to be a huge island, so I will have three of the chandeliers (thoughts on that too?). My problem is that I'm not sure what to use above the breakfast table. The kitchen, breakfast, and living room will all basically be one large room, so the lights definitely need to compliment each other. I'm not completely against having a little sparkle in the breakfast light, but I don't want to overdo the bling since there's so much of it in the island chandeliers.

I'm thinking something like this?

Except in a bronze or antique copper finish.

Also, will three lights above the island be too busy? Just for frame of reference, the lights are about the same size as my current island lights, and the new island will be larger than my current island. Here's a pic of my current island lights:

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (11)

• bsmith1
    11 years ago

I would try to pick up a bit more of the sparkle in the breakfast room light. Even a similar chandelier, but with just a handful of crystals dangling would "speak" to the island lights more, I think. Beautiful choices, though! And your current kitchen is gorgeous!

• kisforkyla
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the feedback! I think I agree that I do need a teeny bit of glam in the breakfast chandelier. I really want this Niermann Weeks light

but apparently multiple thousands of dollars for a chandelier isn't in our budget. I unfortunately have wine taste on a beer budget (and by beer, I mean like Keystone Light).

• polly929
    11 years ago

kisforkyla, Ethan Allen has the knock off of that Nierman Weeks. I've had it in my dining room for 3 years now. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the one you posted, but it wasn't in my budget either.

Here ya go:

Here is a link that might be useful: Ethan Allen light

• kisforkyla
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you thank you thank you!

• kisforkyla
    Original Author
    11 years ago

New question: These are the lights I have in my current kitchen and dining (without the shades on the black chandelier):

My original plan was to just buy the same lights because I love them so much. But then I started looking at lights and found the chandeliers. Now I can't decide which direction I want to go.

The houses will be similar in style. The walls will be super light gray, wood floors, white baseboards/crown. The kitchen cabinetry will be a darker gray with the island being a little lighter and having a butcher block top. Kind of a clean, crisp look with rustic accents (cedar beams, the handscraped wood floors, stone to the ceiling fireplace).

My current lights will kind of be safe with the rustic accents. The chandeliers will add just a bit of glam in the mix. I think I like both options equally. What do you all think?

• polly929
    11 years ago

I like the crystal pendants. We have similar tastes. I have a Hundi lantern in my staircase, and crystal pendants from pottery barn over my island. Maybe you can use the lantern in a hall way or entryway?

• kisforkyla
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My entryway is very open and will be visible from the living/kitchen/breakfast. Will the Hundi in the entry look okay with the crystal pendants and the Ethan Allen chandelier? The styles seem too different to me, but I'm not great at this stuff. That's why I'm here. :)

• lascatx
    11 years ago

I love all the fixtures you are looking at, but I would consider putting the crystal fixture in another location before I would use three of them together. I love one over the tub, but it a diminishing return with two over the table. I think I'd like it less with three over the island. When you go for something that has a Wow factor, you don't want to lose the Wow by overdoing it. Just my thoughts.

• polly929
    11 years ago

Here is what my two crystal pendants look like. Only pic I have available of them, pardon my kitchen, it's a little messy when I snapped this pic.

I saw a similar pic of virtually identical lights in a magazine a few years ago with 2 over an island. I don't think I would have gone for something so blingy if I hadn't seen that pic. But I see what lascatx is saying, I suppose it depends on your style and the look you are trying to achieve for your new home.

• kisforkyla
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again for all your responses! Polly, those pendants are beautiful! I'm kinda wishing PB still carried them.

K, another question. My husband has approved two of the Ethan Allen lights, one for the breakfast and one for the entry. Would that be too matchy matchy?

• bvan1968
    8 years ago

Kisforkyla -- do you recall the information for your old chandelier? I am obsessed with the Hundi lantern and am going to put them over my island. I like your former chandelier to coordinate with them. Thanks!