Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coffee Table help

Posted by oakleyok (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 6, 14 at 10:42

I've decided to get rid of my beloved coffee table because it makes the area look too heavy.

Farm style is what I want but I can't decide on what shape. I don't think round would work.

Since I want to open up the area, I don't know if I should get a table with a bottom shelf. Would that work or should I stick to a table with just the one piece of wood on top?

I do prefer wood unless you can come up with another idea.

Absolutely no glass.

Here's the room. Sorry for the mess on the left, I was sorting out journals and forgot they were there!

The seating on either side of the sofa will be gone soon, along with the white drawers in the far back of the room.

photo IMG_5248_zpsc4ed6dc3.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coffee Table help

I love big, rustic coffee tables with a lot of surface area to spread stuff out w/o it falling off. I like the size of the table you've got there.

My coffee table has two drawers, about 1/2 the size of the drawers in your table, and I love having them to hold pens and other loose items. It also has a removable thin bottom shelf, on which I keep a basket to hold other items. The basket can simply be removed if you want a cleaner look, are having company, etc.

I am a believe that furniture should be practical and useful in addition to being good looking.

I also think you can never, ever go wrong with reclaimed wood for a coffee table.

o
Coffee Table help

That's similar to what I'm looking for but with more rounded corners.

My coffee table has a big drawer facing the sofa full of everything you mentioned and then some. Only thing is, I've used that table so much I've worn off an area of the stain! I have a desk in the LR, so I'm going to have to start using it. lol

Okay, the bottom shelf on the one above, would that still open up the area?

o

A narrower top than yours now with a bottom shelf would open it up a bit, but the bottom shelf does cover that area of rug, which would close it up a bit. The thing I don't like about having a bottom shelf on my coffee table is that it makes vacuuming hard, esp. because the table is heavy to move. Also, the dogs scoot their toys and chew things under there and go nuts and I have to move the table to find them again. It is also just another surface on which dust is collected!

I don't know. Maybe i don't like having a bottom shelf!

o

I like the style Tibbrix posted. Even though it has a bottom shelf I think the space will still appear more open because of the shape. The one you have now appears larger and more square.

I like your lamp on the right and your pillows look nice!

o

My coffee table has a bottom shelf and I don't like it....getting too old to get down on my hands and knees to dust....I usually go over the bottom shelf when I am dusting the hardwood floors which is easier, but I would never have a bottom shelf again, although I do like that it is on hidden casters...we scoot it around a little when we eat in there, etc..we've gotten used to a cofee table that moves around easily.

o

Have you simply tried to tone down the finish on your existing table? The light painted side attracts the eye and causes the table to stand out.

Seems like the table is the right size to compete with the size of your seating, so why change one table for another when you could just change the finish?

o

I hated my coffee table - it was too large and had a glass top that was always streaky. It seemed more like a barrier in front of my sofa than an enhancement. For a long time I had admired these coffee table cubes from Pottery Barn but never ordered them.

Then one day I happened to be looking at window treatments on the Penney's web site and noticed they also sold the same cubes for a lot less money. They were on sale and offered free shipping. I've had them for 5 years and I love them.

Here is a link that might be useful: P.B. cubes

o

I wouldn't get one with a bottom shelf but that's because I love your rug and I think it adds a lot to the room. Don't hide it.

o

Beverly, I seriously considered darkening the table but it will still make the are heavy looking. I want the rug to be seen under the table to make the space more open. Believe me, it was a hard decision to decide on replacing the table because it's perfection as far as size, drawers and durability.

If you look closely you can see where my late Gracie chewed 3 corners when she was a pup, and there are scratches my my 2 granddogs who would jump up there when they visited. It has lots of good memories!

I think I'll try to find one without the bottom shelf, and hopefully have dimensions close to the one I have now.

I've looked around at a few places, do you all know where a good online source is?

o

oakleyok, contact this guy at lonepinelodgepole.com

He is the sweetest guy and makes beautiful reclaimed barn furniture at amazing prices. When I first bought my house, I ordered a bed frame, and bench, and a coffee table from him. Unfortunately, he was just starting out and didn't pack it correctly and apparently it was damaged pretty badly in shipping. I never saw it. He was so sweet about it. It's just him, so it's a ver personal business. You can work with him on any design you want and he'll build it for you.

I'd be so happy to send some business his way because he was just the nicest guy and I felt so badly about what happened. I ended up not getting any furniture from him for financial reasons and went with a CR coffee table and a plan metal frame for the bed no headboard or footboard.

but you can get the coffee table you want, and he'll make it by hand. I had him carve his initials into the furniture. Very unique and personal.

I wish I could remember his name. If you do contact him, please tell him the woman who, three years ago ordered the bed frame, bench, and coffee table from him which broke up in transport suggested you speak to him.

Here is a link that might be useful: lonepinelodgepole.com

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Thu, Mar 6, 14 at 19:27

o

I agree with you that your current coffee table looks bulky and massive. I love the idea of one that has no bottom shelf, because it'll just be a dust and junk collector. Been there (LOL)! I don't have time to search now, but there are some nice rustic-but-refined stone topped tables you might want to consider. I like Maire Cate's idea of using 2 smaller tables or cubes, too. With grandbabies, I imagine that you're looking for something safe with no sharp edges, as well. I'll try to do a search for you on line after dinner.
Lynn

o

Tib, he does good work! I'll definitely keep him in mind.

I like the cubes but I have a vision of one solid piece of wood slightly rounded at the corners. Even if I didn't have grandbabies, I'd still want the corners rounded. I'm scarred from my old coffee table. :)

o

I think the reclaimed wood one is a tad too rustic for the rest of the room. If you want to shop on line maybe try Ballard? Or Layla Grace? I would also consider Stenella, as I think your room could work with their more formal stuff. Better value for the quality, too.

Of course, to me all coffee tables should be traded in for ottomans with trays, but it depends on how you use the space...

o

Ahem…reclaimed wood furniture ALWAYS works anywhere with any style. One of its benefits!

o

I think the piece you have could be painted or you could get a table similar to a glass top but with a wood top. I have one in storage that looks like it should be a glass top table but it is beadboard wood that is stained and finished nicely and probably about the same color as your other wood. I would either paint that one or get a more open one.

IMHO the reclaimed, rustic look will not blend well with your furnishings.

o

Remember this thread?

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg0211414716917.html

And the resulting thread?

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg021557559900.html?19

She too was going to replace her gorgeous reclaimed wood coffee table, thinking it didn't go with her new sofa. Look at the gorgeous outcome.

o

Yeah,i hear you, but I stand by what I said Tib ... "tad too rustic" for the space. And I'm a big fan of rustic, patina, authentic distressed etc. If I did take the room that way, I might add one other element that is comparably rustic so the table didn't look like an afterthought. For example, rustic lamps.
Still not sure I'd do that though.

But it raises an interesting point that should probably be another thread. Which is, more and more i notice that professionally designed rooms always mix it up. I rarely see a shelter mag spread where all the pieces are from the same era, for example. So that would be a nod in favor of shaking things up with something unepxectedly rustic...

o

Something like this? There are others more rectangular in shape also.

Here is a link that might be useful: coffee table idea

o

I see nothing wrong with reclaimed wood either. If I go in that direction I want a semi-gloss on the satin which would take away from the rustic look, and still look country.

Mtn., we definitely use the space so an ottoman wouldn't be as versatile as wood. I do have several trays in the room though! lol

o
Coffee Table help

Speaking of rustic, I have a large stone FP in the room that is definitely rustic.

The difference to me between a rustic and nonrustic table is the finish. A rugged finish is rustic to me. A smooth surface with some shine isn't. Tjere is definitely a fine line between the two.

o

Wayfair.com has many coffee tables available on their site. It won't allow me to copy the pics, but here's a link to one that has no lower shelf, carved wood legs, and an inlaid stone and fossil top. This is just one. There are over 2000 more to check out if you like.
"Black Fossil Stone Inlaid Coffee Table"

o

There are some spaces that just will not work with a "reclaimed" piece unless there is a mix of textures of woods and one piece does not do it. In this case, I don't think with more than one piece it would work. I think adding one piece of "unclaimed" wood would give the appearance of Cinderella attending the ball before being appropriately dressed.

I think this is a room in which one could insert a piece of verdigris and glass as a mix but I can hardly see a piece of rustic with this room or a room of finely finished and satin upholstered, tufted French provincial either.

I think there are times when furniture mismatches are exactly that and at other times, it gives them an interesting element for conversation. This is not the time, JMHO. I agree it would look like an afterthought and I almost typed that before MTN stated so in her post.

This post was edited by patricia43 on Fri, Mar 7, 14 at 10:44

o

Lynn, I didn't realize Wayfair had so many tables!

I'm only on page one but I really like this one. The corners aren't too sharp.

Here is a link that might be useful: Coffee table

o

Your stated goal was to change the heavy look. The reclaimed wood tables are still heavy, just in a different shape. The cream paint does add the one spot of lightness in the room, so I can't see how a dark piece of wood to replace it lightens the room. What are you replacing the chairs with?

o

I agree with Mayflowers - it looks almost as heavy as your old one. What about something like this Amish made one? has a drawer that you like but a softer leg...

Here is a link that might be useful: Amish tables

o

If you're concerned about sharp corners have you considered an oval table?

Here is a link that might be useful: oval

o

I'm not talking about lightening the room, I just want that specific area in front of the sofa to be a bit more airy. Being able to see the floor under a table will make a big difference I think.

The chairs will be upholstered arm chairs. Right now we have a loveseat and chair and a half flanking the sofa because DS and his sweet family are living here while their house is being built. Once I get chairs on legs it will definitely open up the whole space.

Oly, the table I linked is somewhat similar to the one you showed, but it's 2" longer which I like. But I like the legs on yours better.

Maire, I considered an oval table but I'm just not sure. I haven't seen too many yet but I'll start searching for them.

o

Massagerocks table appears to be one that will work. The others with this room make my hair hurt.

o

I see something simple, maybe with bronze.  photo image_zps839c2314.jpg photo image_zps1eb776fa.jpg

o

I like those a lot Jerri!!

o

Oakley, I feel your pain. I happen to love a glass table but DH hated it. When I bought a new sofa and chairs for the living room I bought a coffee table that is not at all my taste but is perfect for the way DH would use it. IMO, it is too heavy for the room but on the plus side he can raise the side closest to the sofa and it works beautifully for when he uses his laptop. Under the half that can be raised is all storage that is perfect for throws, extra pillows etc. On the side opposite the sofa is two drawers that gives even more storage. With two grandchildren and another on the way the rounded corners work. Probably way too heavy looking for your room and it would hide a lot of your beautiful rug. This table is perfect for function but not at all perfect as far as form.

o

Jt, I love the 2nd table a lot! Where is it at so I can take a better look at it?

Holly, I really like your table. Honestly, both of our current tables are great at function and look nice too, but like you said, it makes the space too heavy.

o

I want the second table that Jterri posted! I love it! DH used to sit on the floor with his back against the sofa front as a back rest and I wanted him to be more comfortable but dang Jterri's second table would look so much better!

o

I really like Jt's second table too.

o

Oak, I love that one too. Sorry I just can’t seem to find it. I did two searches on google images, one was with the title Bronze Coffee Table and the other Bronze Cocktail Table and neither search is showing that particular table this time. I don’t get it! So sorry I didn’t record the source, I’m multitasking with my own remodel. I’ll keep looking.

o

Here's a link to the 2nd table:

Here is a link that might be useful: coffee table

This post was edited by olychick on Sun, Mar 9, 14 at 0:29

o

Egads, $3500 for a coffee table???

o

Holy Mackerel, and to think I’m fretting over spending under 5k for a sectional. Still, if I were you I would sooo buy that beauty!
Olychick always comes to the rescue :)

o

Yikes! At 3,500 I would have heart failure if DH put his feet up on it!

o

I would have to enclose the whole thing in glass so no one would touch it, especially my grandson's trucks! lol

o

The black and gold table really elevates the space, and it is a conversation piece, if you will. I would go for that one, or just keep what you have.

I find the reclaimed piece very discordant, unless we are missing a true sense of the room. It seems funny to me that the OP has liked two totally opposite pieces. Hard to imagine, to me, that the same room can support both.

Is this the formal living room, or is it used as a family room?

o

I think I found the table, but I want your opinion first.

It's from Wayfair.com so I have to give the link. I sure hope you can see it. Check out the huge size of it. Perfect!!

I know it's on the rustic side but remember the room has a rustic FP in it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Coffee Table

o

Oh, I hate to say this, but I think the legs on that table are very weird, Oakley, and unappealing.

However, if you love it, it should be your table.

o

Yeah, they are a bit different, aren't they? I think $700 plus is a bit too much because the wood isn't that thick. I'd love to have a 2" thick piece of wood.

My husband has a ton of wood in his playhouse...I mean "shop," lol, a lot of cherry too. I need to go out there and see if he has a large solid piece of something. He can make coffee tables but....well, I'll just leave it at that. lol

o

Cherry is beautiful wood.

Now THIS is a coffee table, and I think it would look gorgeous in your room. $375.

Here is a link that might be useful: Etsy coffee table/more views

o

I don't like the slats. :( Dh could make that. I really want a solid piece of wood on top. I know they're out there darnnit! lol

o

Look on etsy. Lots of nice coffee tables there.

o

I don't think Etsy has free shipping. It would cost a fortune to order one from there.

But look what I found. I wouldn't even have to get up to do my ironing! lol

Here is a link that might be useful: Hee

o

An ironing board/coffee table! Brilliant!

Both of the etsy tables have said "free shipping".

o

I'll take a look then. But then again, I might like to sit on the sofa with curlers in my hair, a cig hanging from my mouth while ironing. :)

o

Oakleyok, that's so 1970s, which succeeded the happy housewife ironing in heels and perfectly coiffed hair and a dress.

Come into the '00s!

Here is a pic of me ironing!

o

Your just too hot for your britches!

Here's me.

o

Oakleyok, Why don't you give Levi ( that's his name!) at Lonepine Lodgepole a call and design a coffee table with him. It'll a personal piece, an heirloom, beautiful, and designed to your specifications, including the stain color you want.

He's just the nicest guy. Their business has way expanded since I found them two years ago, which means he's done very well, which I'm happy about because he's so sweet and he was so pleasant to do business with.

He sent me photos of the finished furniture I ordered and it was gorgeous. Have him sign the coffee table. It'll be a piece much commented on and you will love it. I really recommend just giving him a call and seeing what he can do for you, i.e.: smooth top, rounded corners, drawers or no, dimensions (I like large coffee tables with plenty of room for spreading stuff out).

Nothing like a custom heirloom piece!

o

Btw, if you do call Levi, tell him the woman on Cape Cod who ordered pieces from him two years ago and whose furniture was smashed to smithereens in shipping referred you. I'm going to get the straight plank bed frame from him eventually, I hope, and probably a coffee table.

o

Here are some options from Overstock, just for purposes of finding the right look. Don't know anything about the manufacturer, quality, etc. The first one has the black and gold that jt's second table had, but obviously that one was a different tier altogether.

o

here is another. Again, just to see how this look works for you (or doesn't). No idea about the quality

o

and a third. same disclaimer

o

Bernhardt:

o

Oak, I saw a few really nice coffee tables on Ruby Lane that would look smashing. I did a quick search in the $500 to $1500 range. I'm thinking you might find something a little more special there than just the regular mass produced items of today's online or other stores.

o

I kind of like the Bernhardt. We have some bedroom furniture by B. and they're solid as a rock.

Where did you find it?

The shipping will be astronomical if the woodworker does it since he works alone. If he lived close by I'd talk to him, but it would be pretty hard to tell him exactly what I want on the phone.

I'll keep looking!

o

Bernhardt coffee table

Here is a link that might be useful: Bernhardt Coffee Table

o

Two more Bernhardts:

May be able to remove bottom shelf

o

And this one:

o

Check out the closeups of the Valencia and Durango tables, including the tops. Gorgeous!

Here is a link that might be useful: Coffee tables.

o

Funny Oak, I had the very same one and sold it at my garage sale last fall for the same reasons.

I went with a rustic round table from west elm that I found on Craigslist for a steal.

Good luck!

o

Jt, I'm going to check out Ruby Lane. I never thought of them!

Tib, I wish they'd give the prices on the tables.

o

Valencia table: $611.40 (save 40%) no taxes, free shipping, at this site

Here is a link that might be useful: Valencia

o

Bernhardt Durango table, $638.25

Here is a link that might be useful: Bernhardt Durango

o

I don't see the first Bernhadt table I put up on the Bernhardt site, so I don't know the name of it.

o

I think I really like the Valencia. They have it at Carolina Rustica too, but for $100 more than the other site. But Carolina Rustica has the closeup of the detail of the top, which is really beautiful. Also, it's about 5 inches deeper than the Durango.

o

I think we have a winner, Tib! I LOVE the Valencia, and shipping is free! It's also bigger than my big coffee table. :)

Here's my only problem and I hope others here will chime in. Go back and look at my rug and sofa again, (ignore flanking seating) and tell me if the inlay is too much pattern for the area. Especially with the rug.

The new chairs will have small print on them, but that's down the road once DS and family move into their new house.

Also, take a look at the Valencia again. Is that metal on top with cherry inlay? I wanted to make sure it's metal.

I'm *this* close to ordering it but I want to search the web to see if there are any reviews.

o

I think it's beautiful and a nice melding of all of the styles of tables you seem to have liked the best on this thread. The pattern looks so subtle and doesn't appear that it would compete with your rug.

o

I wondered the same thing, Oakleyok. I don't think the problem is so much with the rug (although the "problem" with the rug isn't the pattern but that it's a large pattern) but more that everything will have a busy pattern: the rug, table, sofa and chair.

Ultimately, I agree with Oly, though, that it will be fine. It's a beautiful and unique table, but it also has a classic look to it, so I think it'll last you forever, re: style.

If you're getting new seating, you can tone down the pattern thing going on in that room there as a start, maybe get solids but with texture. Can also always switch out the rug for one a tad more subtle if you come to feel there is too much busy patterning going on in the room.

The description says the top is wood. It also says it's a fairly hefty 165 lbs., which is a good sign!

Congrats!

o

Hey, if you get it, will you take a pic once you've got in place and show it to us?

o

It's "wood framed inset metal top with embossed pattern." I really really like it.

Luxe Decor is WAY cheaper than other places. And now I'm addicted to the website. I'm looking at their Club Chairs. What's great is they offer a lot of different fabrics for the chairs.

I could buy one chair for now and put it where another chair is that nobody sits in. Then I'll need to get a recliner I think but not one of those honkin' ones.

But that's another post! :)

o

Why have I missed that description of the top? I saw, "Top - wood".

Hmmm…..

I'm so glad you really, really like it. So nice to find a piece that you can't wait to get! I think it's an excellent choice, again because the design works so well with your room but it's so unique but also classic. I suspect you'll get a lot of compliments and comments on it. The size of it looks really good too. So many coffee tables are so narrow now. I think that is terrible!

Gonna go check out luxe decor and your club chairs!

o

LOVE the Robert Paul leather club chair on there!

o

Is the metal top green? Looks like it in photos of the top.

o

It does look green.

I see the metal top description now on the Bernhardt site.

o

I'll be watching my sick grandson today so I won't be able to spend much time online (except for Angry Birds on my iPad, lol) so tonight I'm going to check the table out again before I order.

I hope it's not green. Maybe a barely there green would be okay.

If I order it I'll definitely take a picture.

I'm also going to sell my old coffee table on Facebook. Our little town has an online classified page.

Is a $100 too much? It's very sturdy and has three good sized drawers.

o

If you do the closeup thing on the Valencia where you can move the box around and move it so you're only on the embossed part, it looks brown. I think the green effect is probably lighting and it being next to the redder wood frame of the table, so I think you're okay.

You might want to check on the Bernhardt Web site if there is a retailer near you and see if you can actually go see one, or at least if they have a book with more pics of it, or call Bernhardt and ask them what the color is.

As for your old coffee table, it probably depends on where you are. Someone here is selling a very similar table on CL for $249.

Here is a link that might be useful: Country coffee table for sale

o

Apparently the metal is black:

"Mixed materials, colors and textures make the Bernhardt Valencia Occacial Table Set a treat for any room. Sitting on turned legs are three tables with tops of solid wood covered in flat-cut cherry veneers. The metal insets have an traditional, embossed pattern. A cherry finish highlights the grain of the wood and is a nice contrast to the black-and-gold scheme on the…"

o

"Sitting on turned legs are three tables ..."

What does "three tables" mean? I looked again and it looks like one table. lol.

I'm going to sleep on it but I'm pretty sure I'll order it tomorrow. Know what I like about the table? It adds a touch of elegance to the room.

It's funny, the back of the room has a lot of pops of color while the front of the room doesn't.

I have my work cut out for me. :)

o

It's actually part of a set:

o

And this one, which is really cool, I think:

o

Oakley, I think the table is elegant, and now that we know it's gold embossed on black, I actually think it's going to compliment your carpet and look amazing.

And btw, thanks to you and this discussion, this morning I took the bottom shelf off of my coffee table, and I am so much happier with it gone! Now I can vacuum under the table easily, the shelf won't collect a ton of dust, and the dogs can't deliberately push their tennis balls and chew hooves under there. It also looks better because, as you say, it opens the area up.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 19:07

o

Ordered!

Tib, I can't thank you enough for going the distance in helping me.

o

Congrats! I love how jazzed you sound about the table.

I love spending other people's money on them! Lol.

Can't wait to see the pics.

o

Tib, I tried to email you but you don't have the link working. If you don't mind, would you email me?

I sat here for about 5 minutes staring at the "Add to Car" icon before I finally clicked it. lol

Now I need to get busy selling the other table.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here