Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Coffee Table help

Oakley
10 years ago

I've decided to get rid of my beloved coffee table because it makes the area look too heavy.

Farm style is what I want but I can't decide on what shape. I don't think round would work.

Since I want to open up the area, I don't know if I should get a table with a bottom shelf. Would that work or should I stick to a table with just the one piece of wood on top?

I do prefer wood unless you can come up with another idea.

Absolutely no glass.

Here's the room. Sorry for the mess on the left, I was sorting out journals and forgot they were there!

The seating on either side of the sofa will be gone soon, along with the white drawers in the far back of the room.

Comments (89)

• Oakley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I would have to enclose the whole thing in glass so no one would touch it, especially my grandson's trucks! lol

• kitschykitch
    10 years ago

The black and gold table really elevates the space, and it is a conversation piece, if you will. I would go for that one, or just keep what you have.

I find the reclaimed piece very discordant, unless we are missing a true sense of the room. It seems funny to me that the OP has liked two totally opposite pieces. Hard to imagine, to me, that the same room can support both.

Is this the formal living room, or is it used as a family room?

• Oakley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think I found the table, but I want your opinion first.

It's from Wayfair.com so I have to give the link. I sure hope you can see it. Check out the huge size of it. Perfect!!

I know it's on the rustic side but remember the room has a rustic FP in it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Coffee Table

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Oh, I hate to say this, but I think the legs on that table are very weird, Oakley, and unappealing.

However, if you love it, it should be your table.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, they are a bit different, aren't they? I think $700 plus is a bit too much because the wood isn't that thick. I'd love to have a 2" thick piece of wood.

My husband has a ton of wood in his playhouse...I mean "shop," lol, a lot of cherry too. I need to go out there and see if he has a large solid piece of something. He can make coffee tables but....well, I'll just leave it at that. lol

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Cherry is beautiful wood.

Now THIS is a coffee table, and I think it would look gorgeous in your room. $375.

Here is a link that might be useful: Etsy coffee table/more views

• Oakley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't like the slats. :( Dh could make that. I really want a solid piece of wood on top. I know they're out there darnnit! lol

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Look on etsy. Lots of nice coffee tables there.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't think Etsy has free shipping. It would cost a fortune to order one from there.

But look what I found. I wouldn't even have to get up to do my ironing! lol

Here is a link that might be useful: Hee

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

An ironing board/coffee table! Brilliant!

Both of the etsy tables have said "free shipping".

• Oakley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll take a look then. But then again, I might like to sit on the sofa with curlers in my hair, a cig hanging from my mouth while ironing. :)

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Oakleyok, that's so 1970s, which succeeded the happy housewife ironing in heels and perfectly coiffed hair and a dress.

Come into the '00s!

Here is a pic of me ironing!

• Oakley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Your just too hot for your britches!

Here's me.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Oakleyok, Why don't you give Levi ( that's his name!) at Lonepine Lodgepole a call and design a coffee table with him. It'll a personal piece, an heirloom, beautiful, and designed to your specifications, including the stain color you want.

He's just the nicest guy. Their business has way expanded since I found them two years ago, which means he's done very well, which I'm happy about because he's so sweet and he was so pleasant to do business with.

He sent me photos of the finished furniture I ordered and it was gorgeous. Have him sign the coffee table. It'll be a piece much commented on and you will love it. I really recommend just giving him a call and seeing what he can do for you, i.e.: smooth top, rounded corners, drawers or no, dimensions (I like large coffee tables with plenty of room for spreading stuff out).

Nothing like a custom heirloom piece!

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Btw, if you do call Levi, tell him the woman on Cape Cod who ordered pieces from him two years ago and whose furniture was smashed to smithereens in shipping referred you. I'm going to get the straight plank bed frame from him eventually, I hope, and probably a coffee table.

• nutsaboutplants
    10 years ago

Here are some options from Overstock, just for purposes of finding the right look. Don't know anything about the manufacturer, quality, etc. The first one has the black and gold that jt's second table had, but obviously that one was a different tier altogether.

• nutsaboutplants
    10 years ago

here is another. Again, just to see how this look works for you (or doesn't). No idea about the quality

• nutsaboutplants
    10 years ago

and a third. same disclaimer

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Bernhardt:

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Oak, I saw a few really nice coffee tables on Ruby Lane that would look smashing. I did a quick search in the $500 to $1500 range. I'm thinking you might find something a little more special there than just the regular mass produced items of today's online or other stores.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I kind of like the Bernhardt. We have some bedroom furniture by B. and they're solid as a rock.

Where did you find it?

The shipping will be astronomical if the woodworker does it since he works alone. If he lived close by I'd talk to him, but it would be pretty hard to tell him exactly what I want on the phone.

I'll keep looking!

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Bernhardt coffee table

Here is a link that might be useful: Bernhardt Coffee Table

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Two more Bernhardts:

May be able to remove bottom shelf

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

And this one:

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Check out the closeups of the Valencia and Durango tables, including the tops. Gorgeous!

Here is a link that might be useful: Coffee tables.

• polly929
    10 years ago

Funny Oak, I had the very same one and sold it at my garage sale last fall for the same reasons.

I went with a rustic round table from west elm that I found on Craigslist for a steal.

Good luck!

• Oakley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jt, I'm going to check out Ruby Lane. I never thought of them!

Tib, I wish they'd give the prices on the tables.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Valencia table: $611.40 (save 40%) no taxes, free shipping, at this site

Here is a link that might be useful: Valencia

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Bernhardt Durango table, $638.25

Here is a link that might be useful: Bernhardt Durango

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I don't see the first Bernhadt table I put up on the Bernhardt site, so I don't know the name of it.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I think I really like the Valencia. They have it at Carolina Rustica too, but for $100 more than the other site. But Carolina Rustica has the closeup of the detail of the top, which is really beautiful. Also, it's about 5 inches deeper than the Durango.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think we have a winner, Tib! I LOVE the Valencia, and shipping is free! It's also bigger than my big coffee table. :)

Here's my only problem and I hope others here will chime in. Go back and look at my rug and sofa again, (ignore flanking seating) and tell me if the inlay is too much pattern for the area. Especially with the rug.

The new chairs will have small print on them, but that's down the road once DS and family move into their new house.

Also, take a look at the Valencia again. Is that metal on top with cherry inlay? I wanted to make sure it's metal.

I'm *this* close to ordering it but I want to search the web to see if there are any reviews.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I think it's beautiful and a nice melding of all of the styles of tables you seem to have liked the best on this thread. The pattern looks so subtle and doesn't appear that it would compete with your rug.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I wondered the same thing, Oakleyok. I don't think the problem is so much with the rug (although the "problem" with the rug isn't the pattern but that it's a large pattern) but more that everything will have a busy pattern: the rug, table, sofa and chair.

Ultimately, I agree with Oly, though, that it will be fine. It's a beautiful and unique table, but it also has a classic look to it, so I think it'll last you forever, re: style.

If you're getting new seating, you can tone down the pattern thing going on in that room there as a start, maybe get solids but with texture. Can also always switch out the rug for one a tad more subtle if you come to feel there is too much busy patterning going on in the room.

The description says the top is wood. It also says it's a fairly hefty 165 lbs., which is a good sign!

Congrats!

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Hey, if you get it, will you take a pic once you've got in place and show it to us?

• Oakley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's "wood framed inset metal top with embossed pattern." I really really like it.

Luxe Decor is WAY cheaper than other places. And now I'm addicted to the website. I'm looking at their Club Chairs. What's great is they offer a lot of different fabrics for the chairs.

I could buy one chair for now and put it where another chair is that nobody sits in. Then I'll need to get a recliner I think but not one of those honkin' ones.

But that's another post! :)

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Why have I missed that description of the top? I saw, "Top - wood".

Hmmmâ¦..

I'm so glad you really, really like it. So nice to find a piece that you can't wait to get! I think it's an excellent choice, again because the design works so well with your room but it's so unique but also classic. I suspect you'll get a lot of compliments and comments on it. The size of it looks really good too. So many coffee tables are so narrow now. I think that is terrible!

Gonna go check out luxe decor and your club chairs!

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

LOVE the Robert Paul leather club chair on there!

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Is the metal top green? Looks like it in photos of the top.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

It does look green.

I see the metal top description now on the Bernhardt site.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll be watching my sick grandson today so I won't be able to spend much time online (except for Angry Birds on my iPad, lol) so tonight I'm going to check the table out again before I order.

I hope it's not green. Maybe a barely there green would be okay.

If I order it I'll definitely take a picture.

I'm also going to sell my old coffee table on Facebook. Our little town has an online classified page.

Is a $100 too much? It's very sturdy and has three good sized drawers.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

If you do the closeup thing on the Valencia where you can move the box around and move it so you're only on the embossed part, it looks brown. I think the green effect is probably lighting and it being next to the redder wood frame of the table, so I think you're okay.

You might want to check on the Bernhardt Web site if there is a retailer near you and see if you can actually go see one, or at least if they have a book with more pics of it, or call Bernhardt and ask them what the color is.

As for your old coffee table, it probably depends on where you are. Someone here is selling a very similar table on CL for $249.

Here is a link that might be useful: Country coffee table for sale

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Apparently the metal is black:

"Mixed materials, colors and textures make the Bernhardt Valencia Occacial Table Set a treat for any room. Sitting on turned legs are three tables with tops of solid wood covered in flat-cut cherry veneers. The metal insets have an traditional, embossed pattern. A cherry finish highlights the grain of the wood and is a nice contrast to the black-and-gold scheme on theâ¦"

• Oakley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"Sitting on turned legs are three tables ..."

What does "three tables" mean? I looked again and it looks like one table. lol.

I'm going to sleep on it but I'm pretty sure I'll order it tomorrow. Know what I like about the table? It adds a touch of elegance to the room.

It's funny, the back of the room has a lot of pops of color while the front of the room doesn't.

I have my work cut out for me. :)

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

It's actually part of a set:

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

And this one, which is really cool, I think:

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Oakley, I think the table is elegant, and now that we know it's gold embossed on black, I actually think it's going to compliment your carpet and look amazing.

And btw, thanks to you and this discussion, this morning I took the bottom shelf off of my coffee table, and I am so much happier with it gone! Now I can vacuum under the table easily, the shelf won't collect a ton of dust, and the dogs can't deliberately push their tennis balls and chew hooves under there. It also looks better because, as you say, it opens the area up.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 19:07

• Oakley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ordered!

Tib, I can't thank you enough for going the distance in helping me.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Congrats! I love how jazzed you sound about the table.

I love spending other people's money on them! Lol.

Can't wait to see the pics.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tib, I tried to email you but you don't have the link working. If you don't mind, would you email me?

I sat here for about 5 minutes staring at the "Add to Car" icon before I finally clicked it. lol

Now I need to get busy selling the other table.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!