Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thesteadyright

What is this architectural feature called? Corbel?

TheSteadyRight
10 years ago

Hi guys, first post so I apologize if this isn't in the ideal forum...

I have recently discovered the house my wife and I purchased last year is a Garrison colonial revival style. I'm currently looking for some relatively inexpensive ways to add curb appeal.

One of those items seems to be what I'm calling a corbel at this time. I'm referring to the pendant/ornaments on traditional Garrisons that hang from the second story overhang/jeddy on the corners or a few spaced evenly across the overhang.

Two examples for reference:

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/lancasteronline.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/7/ff/7ff72860-fba5-5501-bc81-4c618f40caf5/5231dfc1000c2.image.jpg

http://img2-3.timeinc.net/toh/i/g/11/reader-remodel/07-winner/orlando-colonial1-x.jpg

So, am I correct in calling these corbels? Can anyone help to point me to a vendor which sells this feature in a style that'd be right for this style of house? Currently I'm striking out on my own....

Thanks in advance. These forums have been a great resource over the past year as I ease into home ownership. :)

Here is a link that might be useful:

This post was edited by TheSteadyRight on Fri, Mar 7, 14 at 10:44

Comments (11)

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

Those are pendants or drops, I believe. A corbel is like a bracket that appears to be holding up the projection.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

Ineffable is correct, a decorative support used to hold up a table top, a shelf or just to add an element of decoration to a finished structure, making it appear to have a "prop".

• auntie_ellen boston
    10 years ago

I think they are finials. Our house had them but we pulled them off when repainting because we thought they were dated AND I couldn't find exact replacements!

Here is a link that might be useful: Finial website

• patricianat
    10 years ago

Finials set atop something, like a pediment almost, but a corbel is beneath holding something up.

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

I verified that the are called drops or pendants, or pendant drops. They are usually in the form of a pineapple or acorn.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

A corbel is a support.

Noun. It's a projection jutting out from a wall to support a structure above it.
    verb. support (a structure such as an arch or balcony) on corbels.

• TheSteadyRight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the quick clarification, guys! Very helpful.

So, I'm looking for pendant drops. Might be a little tough to source since I imagine I'll get plenty of suspended pendant lighting in my searches, huh?

@Auntie_ellen, I hear you about them looking a little dated. I'm not convinced we're going to add them yet, but our house is in some dire need of better curb appeal.

I'm not so sure a proper corbel, outlooker or knee brace under our overhang is correct for the Garrison style house...?

This post was edited by TheSteadyRight on Fri, Mar 7, 14 at 12:50

• Olychick
    10 years ago

Is that your home you pictured? I'm thinking not, but why don't you post your home and ask for ideas for curb appeal? Lots of help available and as you see, experience with different style homes.

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

Something that is architecturally/historically correct can't really be dated in my opinion. It just is what it is, which is authentic.

It's such a specific element that they are almost always a group of four (sometimes just the two corners) and rarely seen in shapes other than acorn or pineapple, on the original garrison style.

You may find what you need at Boston Turning Works. (F101, F102)

Here is a link that might be useful: Boston Turning Works.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

Oh, don't even get me started with any criticism of documented architectural elements.

• TheSteadyRight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@Ineffablespace, you have a great point. And that is why I was so happy to finally stylistically place my house. We're trying our best to align and pay respect to the architecture.

Thank you all for the feedback and links, I have some hunting and photoshopping to do.

Oh, and @olychick, you're assumption is correct,ÃÂ that is not my home. :) I do plan to share a photo of our house to get some ideas from these forums before I embark on any spring projects. We are in southeastern PA and thus still have 3' piles of snow that need to melt before our house is remotely photogenic again. Heh...

This post was edited by TheSteadyRight on Fri, Mar 7, 14 at 14:04