Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellyeng

Bedroom, turned TV room - does it work?

kellyeng
11 years ago

Well, not quite a TV room since we still need to move it from the living room - opposite wall is blank. I also see this room as a good place to read a book or play games.

I tried to go in a different decorating aesthetic than I'm used to. I lean towards a darker, more masculine look and I really tried to brighten up this room. Did it work? Does it look cohesive? Does the red table need to be painted a different color?

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (34)

• anitamo
    11 years ago

I think it's a great use of a spare room. Love that it has a bathroom. Do you need to use that outside door often? It just seems that the chairs are squished to the right and might look better if they were centered on that wall. I assume the tv is directly opposite those chairs? I love the red table.
    You've created an inviting cosy room.

• bebetokids
    11 years ago

I think it looks great!

• Valerie Noronha
    11 years ago

You've created a cozy and relaxing retreat! I love it and the red table looks great! I think you can scooch your rug out from under the front legs of the chairs so you can see the pretty rug better. Also, the two pictures over the red table look unbalanced to my eye. Try swapping them and lining up the tops instead of the bottom or centering the smaller one with respect to the larger one.

• nancybee_2010
    11 years ago

It looks great. I love your plants and art.

• User
    11 years ago

I have been thinking of doing just the same. Right now the tv is in the basement would love to live on one level for a while. Thanks for the inspiration.

• kellyeng
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I do want the outside door to be functional so the chairs are a bit squished and not centered. I tried to draw away from that by hanging different sized pictures on the wall, kind of playing with a more asymmetrical look. Not sure if my idea is successful tho . . .

Oh, didn't even realize that the pictures were so uneven. I hung them kind of haphazardly late last night. So align the tops or center? That is a good question. Any votes?

Thanks for the vote of confidence so far!

Forgot to mention, that this room shares a jack and jill bath with the guest room so I wanted it to also function as the guest room's private sitting area when we have overnight guests.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

You certainly did pull it off, the room is very inviting and a perfect spot to settle down for a good read or gab on your phone etc.
    Love it.

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

I love it.

• Faux68
    11 years ago

I like a lot of things about this room. I think the dog picture is adorable!! You might have easier passage to the door if you remove the plant. There is enough going on in the room that you really don't have to have it. It would open it up just enough. You did a good job and I think your guests will never leave!!

• meghnjosh
    11 years ago

It looks wonderful! I am amazed at how fast you work. Your previous thread caught my attention as I am working on the same exact project - turning a spare bedroom into a TV room...I am a long way from completion though :)

I had a question about your rug. Is it from Overstock?? I've been haunting O.co looking for the perfect rug. I saw this there and passed on it as it looks so different in the site. Can you pls post a close up pic of the rug, if its not too much trouble? It looks like it might work in my room. My walls are painted BM stratton blue, btw. Thanks so much :)

• Vertise
    11 years ago

Your room looks great! That is the rug I did not like but it looks beautiful in person! The image in the other thread looks very different. That's why I hesitate to buy online.

Things do look a bit crowded with the chairs. I think it might be too many accessories more than anything else. Maybe you can reduce the number of pillow and throws to open the chairs up a bit.

Great job! Your colors look beautiful together and it looks very comfortable in there.

• kellyeng
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I wanted a rug that would be a place-holder until I could find one (I like antique/vintage rugs) better but I think this one looks great. What's even better it was the cheapest one ($230, no tax and free shipping from Amazon!) while still being 100% wool and handmade. I did take a chance on it because the online pics were way brighter than the rug actually turn out. The colors are very accurate in the pic below.

I moved the rug out a bit, centered the chairs on the wall a little bit more (still not totally centered but close) straightened the framed pictures and moved the plant. What do you think?

I didn't know my phone had a panorama shot feature!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: rug

• andee_gw
    11 years ago

I like the guest sitting room idea. I'd take away the hamper with books on it, and move the chair more into that corner (or get a slim magazine rack to put between the wall and chair. That will give you some more breathing room between the chairs. I think a taller lamp between the two chairs will be more conducive to reading.

• anele_gw
    11 years ago

I love the way the blues/greens are interwoven throughout the space. What gorgeous light, too.

Is the tree picture a print/painting/litho/etc or is it a photo? I love that.

I had a feeling that was a Safavieh rug-- I think they are a great buy. Very pretty. Lucky guests!

• anitamo
    11 years ago

Yes yes yes! Beautiful. Now pick up a book, get a glass of wine or coffee ( my choice) and enjoy your hard work.

• Miz_M
    11 years ago

Beautiful, cozy room! Love it! I appreciate the inspiration, we have a guest room connected to a Jack and Jill bath, too, and this is something we'd get a lot of use from.

• meghnjosh
    11 years ago

Thanks for the closeup pic of the rug. The blue seems more intense and i am not sure it will work in my space. But I absolutely love the way it pulls together your room. I also love the tree pic.... So pretty :)

• chickadee2_gw
    11 years ago

I love your rug. It works great picking up all the other warm colors in the room creating a cozy spot to read or watch TV. The problem I'm seeing is that things look a bit squished together to fit into that space. Is it possible to put your TV on that wall and move the furniture to the wall across the room so you wouldn't have to contend with the openings of those 2 doors? I think the chairs would look better if you could bring them out from the wall a bit, but it looks like they'd get in the way of the traffic flow entering and exiting the room. If you keep the chairs there, maybe raising the pictures higher would open that space and lift the eye. It could just be the camera, but it feels like everything is compressed to a low level except for the plant.

• texanjana
    11 years ago

The room looks really cozy and inviting.

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    11 years ago

I love everything about your room! Especially the rug and the dog picture. What is the plant/tree in the corner? Almost looks like a fig.

I love the little red table but think it would awesome painted a light aqua.

Thanks for sharing your pretty room.

• kellyeng
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I kind of like the chairs close together, makes it feel more intimate. As far as moving the chairs to the opposite wall, that won't work because the doors make that wall even more restrictive.

That tree picture actually came from Hobby Lobby! I usually like more custom/original art but I thought the colors and subject would work really well.

The chairs recline so they are a couple feet away from the wall. The pictures above the chairs are at eye level so I think if they were any higher they would look disconnected. The ceiling is 10 feet high so maybe it gives the illusion that everything is really low. That's why I picked the tall plant for the corner, which is a Fiddle Leaf Fig.

Thanks for all the feedback, very helpful! I'm having guests tomorrow (hence the quick work!) but as soon as they leave, it's all mine.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

Have you considered a lamp suitable for reading?

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

I absolutely LOVE your room. Also very much like the red table but am wondering whether a slightly less dark red shade might work better, e.g. a coral? I can't tell from the picture, but is the red in your rug more of a rust or could it read like a coral? Perhaps a red like in your pillow case?

• lolauren
    11 years ago

I think it looks fabulous. I like where the chairs are, the red table, the pillows, the throws, the fig... everything. Also, I think the art works with how it is hung. I think the coziness of everything close together is appealing for sitting areas (and this is coming from someone who can't stand clutter.) The space looks inviting.

• kellyeng
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LuAnn, it's 7pm right now and the room is facing east and I just sat down with a book to test it out. The lamp is pretty bright and I can see the page just fine. But then, I do have perfect vision ;-) What else do I need to consider for those with not so perfect vision?

Nosoccer, the rug is more orange. That being said, I'm not sure I want to go through the pain of painting that table unless it looks horrible and the consensus so far is that it doesn't - thank goodness! If I did get up the gumption to paint it, I'm thinking an aqua like someone above thread posted.

Lolauren (you're so sweet!) and everyone else, thanks again.

• User
    11 years ago

Kelly, it looks very nice!

• anele_gw
    11 years ago

Wow about Hobby Lobby! I only have succeeded in finding craft materials and a few decorations. I will have to take a closer look!

• anele_gw
    11 years ago

Wow about Hobby Lobby! I only have succeeded in finding craft materials and a few decorations. I will have to take a closer look!

• mpwdmom
    11 years ago

Pretty room!! Those leather chairs are so comfortable looking...who makes them?

• hoosiergirl
    11 years ago

I think it's a very cozy, inviting room! The only things I would change would be balancing the artwork and scooching the chairs out just a bit further apart (but if you like the chairs close, then leave them as they are).

Both sets of pictures look "off" to me. I would probably center the larger print alone over the red table, align the dog picture alone above the table (maybe centered between the plants? or centered above the table? I'd have to play with it), then move the two smaller pictures to the opposite wall from the dog picture (either stacked or directly side by side -- I can't tell how much room you have there).

Enjoy your lovely room!!!

• patricianat
    11 years ago

two thumbs up!

• luckygal
    11 years ago

Looks great! I love your rug.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

"LuAnn, it's 7pm right now and the room is facing east and I just sat down with a book to test it out. The lamp is pretty bright and I can see the page just fine"

Okay, then just ignore my suggestion :-) LOL!

The lamp looks low in the photo, and it looks like the reader would have to scrunch to the side of the chair to get light onto the pages.
    Glad it is not that way in real life.

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

Pretty room Kelly. I need a room like that for ME when DH is watching basketball games (it's tournament time..YEH) and NASCAR!

I may have to copy your rug for my DR. Love it and that is a great price!

You asked about the red table - it must work because I had to look for it! I thought it was an orangy/red wood tone when I first looked. It works fine.

I think the reason the room might look "squished" as someone said is not necessarily the chairs, but the ottomans side by side. I certainly wouldn't stress one bit over it - they look cozy and comfortable to me. It's a room to read and watch TV in so enjoy!