Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pinkpaisley_gw

Please help with bedroom bedding

pinkpaisley
11 years ago

My current bedding is about 12 years old and falling apart. I need to find something for a temporary fix. We have plans on redoing our master bedroom in 2 years (other projects are more important). Right now we have hunter green carpet in the bedroom and I need to work around that and I am stumped. I would love something with brown and aqua but obviously that would look terrible with green carpet. Any ideas on what I could do for bedding colors and choices for the next two years until we do the remodel and get rid of the carpet? Thanks for your help.

Comments (27)

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

You don't mention what style you like or whether you want a duvet cover, comforter, quilt or coverlet. Do you need a bed skirt?

My first reaction would be to buy plain white or cream and one accent pillow or sham in a pattern that includes the forest green. That's probably the most inexpensive way to go. Otherwise, I would look for a print that includes some hunter green, but lots of other colors, too.

• anitamo
    11 years ago

White as the main color will work. Then you can accent with a brighter or deeper color of your choice. Pictures of the room will bring in more responses.

• lazydaisynot
    11 years ago

I think if you stick with solids and a small dose of high-contrast prints, a pale aqua and white scheme could look fresh. You could use a few accessories with green to carry the color up from the floor: a pillow or two in a wide green/white stripe or a large scale leafy green on white print. A couple of dark brown wicker baskets would work with that. My vision of your palette would avoid small-scale prints and soft florals.

Actually, I just realized that there was a bedroom on Houzz that combined pale aqua with green (though a more leaf green) and lots of white. I wish I could find it for you. I just tried but failed.

• Faux68
    11 years ago

I think hunter green is pretty. This is at Macy's and it is on sale/lowest price of the season. I think as you pick and choose your items the orange is a must to give it that kick.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ralph Lauren

• Faux68
    11 years ago

I think there is enough green to pull this off.

Macy's is having a sale right now. The discount word is HOT for 15% off the sales price. I have snatched up some great bedding from the hotel brand on close out. The only way I could buy this gorgeous bedding is on sale.

Here is a link that might be useful: You mentioned brown

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    11 years ago

Another option would be to get a large, inexpensive area rug to help cover the carpet and allow more color options.

Beyond that, the other question is, what kind of atmosphere would you like to create? That would go a long way to help with suggestions.

• Faux68
    11 years ago

And, lastly, if I were creating this bed I would get an expresso coverlet, expresso shams, and then a decorative pillow grouping from another collection because the hotel collection doesn't have the right green for your carpet. I just ordered my 3rd hotel collection set. Then I would add a bed scarf that brings out one of the colors in the pillows. This look is more me but might not work for you at all.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hotel brand

• Faux68
    11 years ago

In my opinion there is a reason hunter green use to be the hottest color going. It is pretty. I talked to an ID recently who said the had to decorate around hunter green carpet and surprised themselves with a modern beautiful room. But, here is a pretty good example of what I am talking about. This is my taste if I had hunter green carpet. I think it looks modern.

The carpet isn't green in this picture but I think you can see how it will work.

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

Faux68, is that what you consider Hunter Green? Hunter green as far as I know is a dark forest green with more blue undertones. Definitely not a yellow green spring type green as shown in your pics. A google image search of hunter green shows the color that I picture, but I could be wrong.

OP do you have a picture you could post?

If your carpet is the color I think it is, I would get white bedding as some others recommended and add colors pillows and throws. Then you can continue to use the white bedding in the renovated room, or a guest room etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hunter green paint example

• Faux68
    11 years ago

You are right I have shown more of a grass color. That is the color I had in my minds eye. If the OP could finds the right color of green the expresso base would still work. After I mentioned expresso I found that picture. I really like the light rug to break up the carpet color. A lot of people like white bedding and it looks crisp. The point I am trying to make is to embrace the color. The OP doesn't have to camouflage her hunter green carpet.

• funkyart
    11 years ago

You don't mention your style... do you want something bright and fun, quiet and relaxing? traditional? modern?

The first thing that came to mind is an old Barbara Barry design called Springtime. It is -not- hunter green but it has a number of brighter greens on an aqua background. It would definitely brighten up the space and should look ok with the hunter. It won't be a perfect match-- but it should work. I'd rather spend money on something that I loved on it's own and that could carry forward.

I'd also check Pottery Barn.., I've been pleased with their quilts and organic line duvets. The Bird and Fig has a lot of greens in it with some brown and a robin's egg blue.. but look through all of them. There are a number of them that would coordinate with a dark hunter.

• funkyart
    11 years ago

oops. I meant to add that if you like the Barbara Barry Springtime that you'll have to get it on ebay. It's not in stores any more (as far as I know).

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

The hunter green of the 80's that I remember would look good with lots of crisp white and small amounts of light, bright green. I was actually thinking the same thing Funky posted. Maybe a piece or two of bright daffodil yellow thrown in for an accessory.

• lazydaisynot
    11 years ago

Funky, that's pretty. This example is an exception to my statement that I'd avoid florals. I was thinking of muted florals or florals with lots of varied tones. The crisp and clean look of your fabric is something I would, indeed, have chosen. I think crisp/fresh is key here.

• pinkpaisley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions. Many have asked if I would post a picture. HOnestly there is not much to post. My furniture is old and I don't even have a headboard. The set we bought when we first got married 22 years ago was a queen. We upsized to a king and got rid of the headboard. My dream is a farmhouse bed as I prefer a more country/farnhouse feel. I always tease my husband I want a farmhouse bed and farm animal mural painted on the wall to go with our "pasture" green carpet. I think in the mean time I will order an ivory comforter and look for some colorful accent pieces. Seems everything I have found on the internet that I like and would look good with the green carpet is no longer available. I have never really decorated with solids. I am so accustomed to pattern. Maybe I could find some pattern drapes for the windows and coordinating pillows. One of the hard things is all the green I see in patterns is either olive, sage or a yellow green. There is not much out there in the 90's hunter green. I know decorating is not about matchey matchey but I am a bit of a matchey matchey person so thanks for the help in getting me to think out of the box.

• always1stepbehind
    11 years ago

IMO, the green in the above picture isn't a "hunter" green, its more of a olive-green, but it's very pretty. I used to have "hunter green" carpet in my old house. I've been wanting to use a green to accent my dark brown leather furniture but I'm going for the more olive-green color like the pic above.

• funkyart
    11 years ago

I don't know.. if you want more of a country/farmhouse look, I think you could do it.. but I wouldnt use an ivory duvet to get there. (At least not alone).

I'd start with an awesome quilt-- you can get great deals on them at TJMaxx but it's hit or miss what colors and styles they have. I'd also check out LLBean and still, yes, I'd suggest Pottery Barn. A quilt can totally set the design tone of a room IMO and its the perfect way to bring the look you are seeking into the room without much expense.

From there, I'd get a duvet that works with both the quilt and your rug. MANY colors can go with hunter green-- pumpkin, brick red, dusty rose, various greens, navy, tan and, of course, ivory.

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

Link below to a bunch of bedrooms with hunter green carpet, and
    {{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: hunter green floor

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

I used hunter green in my home w/burgundy many 'eons' ago. It's a much darker green than many of the pics portray. If memory serves me right, think it looks like this.....

Here is a link that might be useful: this

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

patty_cakes, yup that's the 1980's Hunter Green I recall too. My parents had this color carpet at some point.

OP, for a farmhouse look perhaps something white or cream but with a handmade texture, like candlewicked, embroidered, or matelasse.

How about something like the link below?

Here is a link that might be useful: Pottery Barn Candlewick quilt

• tarhlfan
    10 years ago

I like the idea of a contrasting area rug, like the zebra or something modern. Then go from there. I'd get as far away from the '80's "and/or country look as I could. I like that above post from PB.

• skywatcher
    10 years ago

Wow, pinkpaisley, I could have posted the very same question last year. We had a beat-up, 10 year-old comforter set and a hunter green area rug. No headboard, either, lol.

No white bedding for us--we have two black cats. A friend of mine suggested something in the neutral brown family. I ended up going with a "greige" comforter it works pretty well with the hunter green.

Here is a link that might be useful: Something like this

• alex9179
    10 years ago

You've gotten a bunch of bedding comments. I want to encourage you to think about making your headboard. I like the rustic/Euro country look and built mine from Ana White's plan on Knock-Off Wood, link below

I had NO experience and did it by myself with basic tools. I was so proud that I posted it here after I was finished!

Here is a link that might be useful: Plan for King size headboard

• rosie
    10 years ago

Just to keep on the same page with the name "hunter green" attached to the color that was very popular once, it was a dulled or "dirtied" dark green, with a slight trend to the yellow side that had to be considering in working with it. I say dirtied because it's more like brown was added than like muted but still fresh greens. It was often combined with a dull off red, especially in "rustic" and "country" style items, like coffee cups and wallpaper strips with bears and hearts on them. I never bought anything but a shirt for my husband in this color, even though it was all over the place, because it definitely didn't go with the more vibrant and pure colors I was using at the time.

Of course, the name's been attached to millions of items from millions of dye lots since then, but that's the base notion for this color.

• Tmnca
    10 years ago

How did this oldish thread get revived? I am glad it did because alex9179, your headboard is gorgeous! I wish I'd seen that before buying one, I think I like yours better than the upholstered Costco one we got. And thank you for posting the link to the website, what an amazing resource! Thoughts of building my own bathroom vanities are spinning through my head...

• alex9179
    10 years ago

Man! I didn't even look at the date. I thought it fit with her country style.

Tinan, it was such fun building and a kick in the pants that I was actually able to do it, lol. I'm going to make headboards for my two boys and then practice on drawers so I can do my own vanity, too!

I think all of my materials came to around $150 vs $900 for Pottery Barn's version.

• bomama123
    10 years ago

Go 100cottonbedding.com to find some bedding which you make like.