Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
baroo2u_gw

Quick & dirty question: Rod pocket or Back/hidden tab?

Baroo2u
11 years ago

I think I'm posting too many question and don't want to wear out my welcome--but it's becoming apparent that color vision impairment isn't my only handicap: I also completely lack the "style" gene!

So, I'm taking my fun fabric to be made into a LR window treatment. Window is 8' wide x 5' high. Rod is 1" wood. View is rural, privacy isn't an issue--traffic is mostly deer & the odd wild turkey, few vehicles. I might get blinds or shutters for evening use. Fabric is med weave, fairly heavy 100% cotton, pic attached.

Whadda ya think: Rod pockets or hidden tab? Lined or unlined?

Thanks all!!

Comments (21)

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    11 years ago

Lined for sure! To me, I think of the hidden tabs (back tabs) as creating a slightly more formal, pleated look, where the rod pocket is a bit more more casual. Which way is your room leaning?

• bestyears
    11 years ago

Absolutely lined. I don't think you will ever be happy with the way they hang otherwise. The polka dots seem somewhat informal, so I'm inclined to go that way with a heading choice. What about the large grommets -does that look appeal to you at all? It's a very modern look, and seems to me would look terrific with your fabric. But it would be helpful to see the room.

And do not even worry about asking too many questions!!!!

• Debbie Laird
    11 years ago

I recently put backtabs in a couple of bedrooms. They do have a more formal appearance and will pleat, especially when open. They are so functional since they are so easy to slide open and close.

• Baroo2u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My3dogs, I'm hoping for a cheerful, casual & bright look--more of a cottage or family room vibe. They're more for appearance than function, in fact I doubt they'll ever be closed : )

Best Years, I posted some pics last week in a post (What color direction would YOU take?) but don't know how to link to it...which is good 'cuz the house is easily the ugliest on the whole site, and I'm just starting to make progress. I think I was in shock the first month after moving in! But the room is 10 x 18, one large window + front door, open to dining area and galley kitchen.

Not sure about the grommet look, seems a little hi tech to me? Maybe because I've only seen them for sale in metals like brushed nickel...

And thanks--it means a lot to have nice, patient people to answer the dumb questions!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    11 years ago

Here is the link to your paint color post. We are kindred spirits when I saw the dogs on the ottoman - a design necessity!

Here is a link that might be useful: What Color direction post

• Baroo2u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for placing the link, my3dogs--I think I burned out my yearly quota of brain cells figuring out Photobucket! And yes, adequate seating for our 3 dogs is vital to preserving the peace at our house, hence the new red leather sectional. I'm hoping they don't chew it like the sofa in the pictures...NEVER give dogs microfibre chew toys if you have microfibre upholstery!

• annzgw
    11 years ago

If you're going to be opening and closing the drapes on an 8' wide window, I'm not sure I'd go with either tab or rod pocket. Using a small diameter rod will help when opening/closing, but I think you may become frustrated with how the panels look when they're drawn back.
    Have you considered using rings with drapery hooks on the back of the drapery header?

Someone may have already suggested it but here's a link to pics of rooms with red sofas.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Red sofas[(https://www.houzz.com/products/red-sofas-prbr1-br~t_524~a_88-1)

• bobtheblindguy
    11 years ago

A 1 inch rod over an 8 foot span will look a little thin. You might consider looking at a 1-3/4 or 2 inch dia. rod. Will these draw? if so a rod pocket will make it difficult and as annz said, you might not like the look when it's gathered.

• Baroo2u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Annz & Bob, no the curtains are for show mostly--privacy isn't a concern. Good point about the rod diameter, 'tho--it could look spindlyonce it's up.I'll check b4 I go any further.

• Baroo2u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Annz & Bob, no the curtains are for show mostly--privacy isn't a concern. Good point about the rod diameter, 'tho--it could look spindlyonce it's up.I'll check b4 I go any further.

• artydecor
    11 years ago

I have back tabs on my newer curtains from Ikea and Anthropologie, and I love how the fabric automatically forms soft, regular folds. It's not a formal pleated look, but has more style than the usual rod pocket. Especially if you plan to keep them open, I'd go with back tabs.

• Baroo2u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sonicmom you're the deciding vote--Lined backtabs it is! And Bob, thanks for the heads up about curtain rod diameter: the 1" looked a bit frail so I'll upsize.

BTW my3dogs, attached is an attempt to post a shot of the companion print to my curtain fabric--my sister couldn't resist sending some in her decor care package, and my critters had to pose in front of it. Don't worry, I won't put it in the LR : p

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Sounds like it is all coming together. Nothing to add except that your pups are adorable and I think I really like your sister!

I cannot wait to see the finished draperies-love that material as I said before!

• deeinohio
    11 years ago

I missed the vote, but I love the way my back-tab drapes hang.

Cute dogs!

• bestyears
    11 years ago

No reason that dog fabric couldn't go in the room as a pillow, or dog bed or something.... Would look great!

Yay, decision made! Are you having the drapes made, or are you making them? I found a great tutorial in case you are doing them...

Here is a link that might be useful: Back Tab Drapes Tutorial

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    11 years ago

I LOVE that fabric!!!! Did you see the chair I just re-did with some along that line? That NEEDS to become a pillow or two! Is there any info on the maker of it in the selvedge edge? I want some!

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

I have a little of everything in my house - they are all casual. My style is not formal at all. My LR drapes (a Pottery Barn paisley) are on rings and are lined. I can close them easily enough, but never do.

My DR are top tabs just because I found a good deal on a casual heavy cotton with a texture in a sage color that I needed. It works for me.

I don't usually like just valances, but they work better in my office because the desk sits under a window and I didn't want panels muddled up with all the cords,etc. I found a good deal on valances with back tabs. I never touch them and they hang very nicely at all times.
    I also have a valance on my kitchen window and they are shirred on the rod.

My spare bedroom has light-weight white cotton shir-on rod pockets which suits the cottagy look I have going on there. I have white wooden blinds uner them.

My master bedroom has white blinds with no drapes - looks fine with my "shades of beige and white".

I think it mostly depends on the look you are going for, but also the fabric of the drape.

I will NEVER have formal pinch-pleated drapes in my home in damask or silk. I love a good cotton or cotton/rayon blend.

• Baroo2u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all for your kind comments on the furkids--they think they're the ultimate decor accessory. I was thinking of making the dog fabric into a cover to protect the leather of the sofa from muddy paws and treats, etc--one I can whip off when the dogsare forced to share their home with guests.

Best years, thanks for the tutorial! Just got the cast off my arm, and maybe pining, cutting & sewing would help regain fine motor skills. Thanks for giving me the idea.

Hey 3 dogs, that was YOUR chair? I loved it, it's so witty--if you went to sit on it, you'd half expect a british countess to pop out of the woodwork and say "Nooooo! You mustn't sit on dear Muffy, that's her chair!"

My dog fabric's by Prestigious Textiles in the UK, and it's called "Man's Best Friend" but seems to be called to be called "Doggy Days" here...

This post was edited by Baroo2u on Fri, Mar 15, 13 at 8:42

• Baroo2u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

BestYears, that tutorial is fabulous! Very clear and lots of photos (yay!) But the author is hilarious...I had a good laugh reading it : )

• formerlyflorantha
    9 years ago

Thought I'd say that this fabric is similar to the fabric shown on a recent "This Old House" in which the owners are rehabbing an 1870s Italianate house yet using modern-look interior pieces.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Sorry, didn't read all the responses.

I hate rod pockets. Fabric bunches up and it's awful if you want to open and close them.

Tabs on the back are so simple if you can get them that way. If not, I just add clip rings to my rod-pocketed panels and they're good to go.