Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutmegxo_gw

PICS! Help me paint Master Bedroom! Green??

nutmegxo
13 years ago

(I have a previous thread on here asking for help to pick a color for my master bedroom walls....many people suggested that I choose a light shade of green and I think that is what I am going to do.)

I just purchased this French Country bedding and the challenge is to find a color to paint the bedroom walls that will not only look beautiful with the bedding, but will also flow well with the SW Whole Wheat color out in the hallway.

This is the view coming up the stairs...there are french doors opening to the master bedroom so the room is very open to the hallway (so really important to make it flow well with the hallway color).

{{!gwi}}

Straight ahead is the sitting area...

{{!gwi}}

To the right is the bed...

{{!gwi}}

Close-up views of bedding and fabric...

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

All windows in the room have coordinating curtains that match the bedding...

{{!gwi}}

Just another view of the room...

{{!gwi}}

And here is the view from inside the room looking out into the hallway that is painted Whole Wheat...

{{!gwi}}

The room is large and gets lots of light. My original idea was to paint the wall behind the headboard a lighter shade of whatever color I paint the remaining walls but I am not sure if that will make the room appear cluttered. Initially I was thinking that I would paint the walls a yellowish golden color to match the golden shams but now I am leaning towards green because so many of you suggested it would look good and I also like green because it is soothing and calming for a bedroom. Also, I am afraid that if I choose a gold color, it will clash with the Whole Wheat color (Whole Wheat IS gold, but it does have greenish cast to it) and I am afraid that if I paint the bedroom a different gold color that it will clash badly with the hallway...does that make sense?

So now the idea of green has grown on me. I do have BM's Dried Basil in the downstairs living room which I love. So I could use a lighter shade off that same card...perhaps Spanish Olive. However, when I played around with green swatches, it seems that BM's Apple Blossom or Sweet Caroline blend the best with the greens in the bedding.

What do you all think? What do you think would look best and should I paint all walls the same color or would the wall behind the headboard look nice with a paler shade of whatever color I choose? Thanks so much if you have read through this post this far!! :)

Comments (8)

• rindy96
    13 years ago

I have been wanting to use BM Baby Turtle for awhile. Do a Google Image search and you can find some pics of it on the internet.

• yayagal
    13 years ago

Now that I see it all together, I would choose the dried basil you already have and know that it will blend well in the room. I'd use it on all four walls. At least try it out.

• sheesh
    13 years ago

All I know is that in our bedroom we have sagey green walls, cranberry red carpet and drapes, and a bedspread similar to yours but with a navy blue background. It is the most beautiful room in the house.

You're going to have a gorgeous bedroom!

• perky_2
    13 years ago

Beautiful room!

Where did you get your fabulous new bedding set?

I love the idea of green with the set.

• ellendi
    13 years ago

I second using the Basil. You know it and like it. I am not sure how it works with colors on the same card, but many here know how to change the value of a color to go deeper or lighter by percentage. Maybe find out how to do this. The Wheat looks very nuetral and I feel you might be over thinking this. I think you can't go too wrong here.

• nutmegxo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much everyone! Perky - I ordered the bedding online at Bella Home Fashions..they have a large collection of French Country bedding. I knew I wanted something with red as the primary color and I fell in love with it when I saw it. The bedding is made by C&F company and I have seen it available on other websites as well...specifically The Country Porch and also Sturbridge Yankee site. There were so many pretty patterns to choose from.

I do like the Dried Basil that I have, but I need to figure out if it is the best shade of green for the bedding. The greens in the bedding are a different shade of green. I think the Dried Basil would look fine, but there might be another green that suits it better.

Ellendi - you might be right that I am over thinking this...but I do get concerned with the undertones in colors. Whole Wheat has definite green undertones in it (which I love) but I want to be careful that I am not putting up a color that totally clashes with it.

I have to go rummaging in the garage to find my mixed sample of Spanish Olive, which is one shade lighter than Dried Basil on the card. That just might work!

• les917
    13 years ago

I love greens, but with the red so hot in the bedding, I am not sure I would want green. The bedding is very pretty, by the way!

I know this is going to seem bizarre, but have you considered an aqua, as we seem to see in the center of the pointy leaves in the closeup of the bedding? I think it might cool down the room, and would certainly show off the dark furniture as well.

I think it would work with the Whole Wheat, tho I am kind of puzzled about the issue of working with it. At different times of the day, from different angles, in different light, those colors will never look the same, and at times will perhaps seem more suited than at others. But no one that I can think of would stand in the hallway and expect the bedroom to flow with a public space. That is part of the delight of bedrooms and baths - places to choose color and decor different from the public spaces, that are more personal and perhaps a little more daring.

I think your bed looks pretty, but I would try to find a place to store your sleeping pillows during the day when the bed is made - they don't go with the look of the finished bed, and kind of spoil the view from the side. Maybe you can tuck them on the floor of the closet?

Also wondering if the valances on the windows are on a separate rod, so that you could raise the valances up higher to open the window space and take the eye up above the top of the bedposts.

• nutmegxo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

les917 - thank for all your input...that is not aqua in the center of the pointy leaves...it is green but the computer screen probably is not reading it clearly. That green in the center of the leaves is what I want to do on the walls and not the other muddy greens that are in the other leaves.

The reason I was so concerned about flowing with the hallway is because the master bedroom is so open to the hallway and it is the first thing you see when coming up the stairs...this is because of the large french doors opening up to it. So the master bedroom is extremely open to the hallway and it is important to me that it flows well.

Thx for your suggestion about the sleeping pillows...LOL...I always wondered what people do with those. The valances are on a separate rod...I never thought about hanging that rod higher than the panel rod underneath it but it would open up the windows even more. Since I plan on painting the walls, we will have to reinstall the rods anyway, so I just might do that!