Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tract Light For Dark Corner?

Posted by TheFoxesPad (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 31, 12 at 9:54

New sofa time is rapidly approaching (come on May!) and I can see in my families eyes that they really want the sectional. I would love a sectional but essentially talked them out of it for one reason: Our LR is too small to place a light in the corner where the corner part of a sectional would have to go. And our LR is very dark w/o lights on in all 4 corners. We have a decorative chandelier put it really is for decorative purposes only and doesn't really help 'shed light' if you will, in any dark corner.

So I thought what about a simple tract light system instead of the chandie in addition to a table lamp on each end of the sofa and floor lamp in the 3rd corner? I would focus 1 or 2 of the tract lights directly into the dark corner.

Will a tract light be sufficient in lighting the dark corner that a sectional would go in? Does that sound like a viable option?

Thanks for your input - I want us all to be happy w/ our decision.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tract Light For Dark Corner?

Track lighting could work, but what about wall lamps that are plug-in, not hard-wired on the walls behind the sectional?

A much warmer lighting, and if you get swing-arm lamps, adjustable for where people are sitting, great for reading.

Check some out here:

wall lamps

o

Les - thank you so much for the link! I was getting quite frustrated when I was looking for plug in sconces earlier. What are your thoughts on 'head bumps' into the shade if I would choose a swing arm? At what height do you think that I would place a mounted sconce? Same shade height as the table lamps?

o

I like the wall sconce idea and you could also check out floor lamps that are sleek in design. If you're just wanting to light the corners and not have light for reading, then consider up-lights behind the sofa.

I would choose either of the mentioned ideas over track lighting for a corner.

Here is a link that might be useful: floor lamp

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here