Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gray lamp shades, turn yellow when lit?? help?

Posted by mom2sethc (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 9:53

Hello,

I just bought new lamps that have gray silk shades. When the lamps are off, the shades are gray, when the lamps are on, they turn yellow!!
What kind of bulb can I use so that the shades appear gray when lit? Is there any hope?
The lamp specs call for a candelabra 60 watt bullb.
Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gray lamp shades, turn yellow when lit?? help?

Try a blue bulb.

60 watt candelabra bulb?? Only means you shouldn't go higher than that wattage, but you can go lower.

You can also try a Sylvania "Day light bulb" and see if that helps. Something like these:

Here is a link that might be useful: full spectrum bulbs

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 10:03

o

Do the bulbs show or can you use something other than a candelabra bulb? Both compact fluorescents and LEDs can be found with less yellow and more blue in the light color, and I know that there are CFLs with a bulb-shaped outer covering. I'd also check the color of the liner on your shades if it isn't the same fabric as the outside. If it has any yellow to it, there will always be some yellow tone to the light coming through the shades.

o

Hello,

The bulbs do not show, we did try a CFL and it still appeared yellow. We also tried a clear glass bulb and a regular incand bulb, same yellow hue.
The inside of the shades are white.
I'l check out the bulbs Tibbrix suggested.
I can live with the yellow hue as my walls are yellow, so they work with the room, however I would prefer to have them look gray!

Thanks!

o

That tends to happen unless your shades are lined with a material that blocks the light from showing through. Unfortunately, that sort of shade means that the only light throw is above and below the shade which may not be enough illumination in your room.

o

Hello,

Fun2BHere - yes, I agree, I'm not sure that the lamps give us enough light. What type of shade should I look for that would illuminate better? White shades?
We have 2 of these lamps on a sofa table behind our loveseat, we'll also be hanging a chandelier in the room.
But I do plan to read by these lamps.

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here