Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_459360

Final Choices for Basement: Rugs, Lighting, Fsbrics!

User
10 years ago

They've finally replaced the scrubbed bricks--- or at least enough of them to restore order to my brick floor, and grouting starts Monday. They are putting the grout in to large empty mustard squeeze bottles and piping in the mortar that way. They're estimating seven days of grouting. I don't think t will take that long...they are being martyrs about it, lol.
Decided to keep rug on advice of ID, and because I love it. Finally got sample of Karastan French Check wool carpet in green and love it, this will be area rug in front room and we are going to use it to carpet dh's study in adjoining room (that carpet ruined by frozen pipe leak). Made final choices for Lee swivel chairs and pillows for sofas, plus pillows for front room.

French check with rug purchased for basement:

Rug of bound French Check will be in front room with daybeds. Paisley for long bolsters on each bed, with lighter green pillows in front. Pay no attention to those paint samples on the wall....

Closeup of bolster and pillow fabrics (leather piping on green pillows):

Daybeds again with brushed twill cushion mattresses in honey (that's Handy Guy holding up the paisley and another fabric not being used there in the final iteration:

Swivel chairs' fabrics:....lightest green on body of chair (this is also the green of the pillows on the daybeds), the darker green linen will be the bottom three inches of the skirt, and the tweedy fabric will be a one inch strip above the darker fabric.

This is the swivel chair from the Lee industries site in coral fabrics:

Baker side table that will go between the swivel chairs, ours will be a fruitwood finish with brass legs in a burnished bronze finish. It is 27" square and 26" high:

Swivel chairs will be at end of one sofa where room widens. This Rye round end table from Hickory Chair in quartered mahogany will be at end of sofa opposite (at fireplace end, built in end tables):

These are the final choices for inglenook in back room. Cork herringbone for two sofas. Throw pillows: flattish 18" pillows in the Flanders Moss green velvet, and 16" pillows in the tartan. The moss fabric is from Lee and it has unbelievable depth, with small touches of a lighter green and light brown.
This is the sofa again:

The striped corded fabric will be upholstered onto a four piece coffee table, and will also be made into a 48" x 20" x 4" depth floor cushion for our dogs. It will be constructed like the mattresses--- a box cushion with fat cording on all edges and tufted. The coffee table will be on the Turkish rug in the inglenook and the dog cushion will be in the front room along the wall with the smaller game flat screen.

Sconces on either side of the tv screen above the mantel, and two more on another wall on either side of a rattan console (size 27" x II", black iron)

Antique finish brass swing arm lamps will be installed over built in end tables that extend out from the fireplace wall/surround/ shelving/ :

Comments (25)

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow, I love all of it! It is really going to be an amazing space.

I so wish we had some sort of basement. Some homes in our neighborhood have walkout basements, but ours is only single level. Some of our neighbors have done a great job in theirs.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, geosciencechick. We started with a palette of different colors, and worked our way to these---very different scheme, although two of the fabrics still remain in this final version. The front room will be a lot more casual, although the only super formal thing about the back room is the luxe velvet pillows and the Baker table. But those things will be balanced by a rattan table, a distressed coffee table/ ottoman, and a 3" paneled fireplace surround, etc., and the brick floor.

Still working on paint colors. Strong current contenders from Sherwin Williams: eggshell finish kestrel white walls in back room and bathroom (maybe), eggshell maison blanche walls in front room and semi gloss steamed milk on all molding, woodwork on fireplace wall, and 8" lap siding on one wall in the front room. Also keeping all doors Charleston green, and painting existing plantation shutter on window in front room Charleston green also.

This is that front wall as the siding was going up:

We are doing an upholstered runner of wool sisal look carpet on the stairs with a bound square of the green French check carpet on the landing.

This post was edited by kswl on Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 12:02

• jackson2348
    10 years ago

Kswl, gorgeous! I LOVE everything you've chosen. The Lee chairs are fabulous, as are the colors in that Jacobean fabric. I've got brick floors planned for my under construction house, so I'll be watching for pics with grout!

We have Maison Blanche in the open living spaces at our beach house. We don't get a lot of direct sun because of porches. I think it's a very good beige, light enough without leaning pink or green.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

You're choices are wonderful, you're a natural designer. I can't wait to see it all done. Perfection!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lol, yayagirl, I am not the designer, but thank you! I am a client collaborator, albeit an active one. We have had many calls, fed ex-ing of samples, photos and emails flying back and forth, as he is in New York and I'm in rural Georgia. He did an initial site visit and will come for installation, and we've worked together on several other projects, so we are both comfortable with this. We are also both Irish and stubborn as mules, lol, but he says this is ultimately what makes it my house and not his. He did draw the line when I proposed green sofas though. I already have two solid green sofas and two in a check with green as a dominant color, and he flat out refused to put any more of them in my house. And now I am so glad he wouldn't budge, as I finally put green cushion in the color I wanted on the brick floors and it was appalling....he was 100% right...;-)

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jackson, that is exactly what I was looking for in a wall color, no pink or green tones. The printed fabric is actually a stylized paisley but does look Jacobean if you don't see those signature paisley shapes. I have been following your progress on the monthly build check in threads and your house is shaping up beautifully!

• deegw
    10 years ago

I envy people who can start with a blank room and make decorating decisions in a short period of time. It would take me FOREVER to make all your lovely choices.

Looking forward to seeing your finished room.

edited to add - I just saw the post were you said that you had some professional help. That makes me feel a little less inadequate. :)

This post was edited by deee on Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 13:28

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Your choices are beautiful. I especially love the paisley. Looking forward to seeing everything in place and finished.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dee, if I hadn't had edited fields of choices I would still be looking for the type of sofa, forget the fabric! I upped the budget about 30% because I liked the higher end choices of a few items. But I believe if I were doing it all myself I would probably end up spending more for a result not as pulled together, or just copying someone else's design or room, which would never quite feel mine, iykwim.

Joanie, thank you!

This post was edited by kswl on Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 14:38

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

Love your choices. I especially like the sofa fabric and can tell you it looks very similar to our sofa fabric which has worn like iron (it is a shade of green, go figure). Love, love the tables.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That cork colored herringbone fabric is from Duralee, it is a good weight and is very well priced at $55/yd. I am glad to hear it's worn well for you. ID says he uses a heavy fabric like this on sofas that will get a lot of use. It is a great neutral and looks good with the legs and stringers of the sofas (two, facing each other).

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Everything is just lovely! I can't wait to see it all come together!

• three3apples
    10 years ago

I really love the rug, pillow, and upholstery fabrics you've chosen.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Holly and Three! It's been both frustrating and exciting. Even though we know the upholstered furniture will not be here, we are hoping the rest of it will be in place when we have a small "do" on May 1. We have larger parties planned for June and July and hope the space functions as an extension of the outside. It's funny, people usually say they want the outside to be an extension of the inside....I guess what we want is a seamless transition from one space to the other.

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

My favorite 'basement' ever! Love the end tables and fabric choices, especially love the idea of coordinating dog bed.

Regarding the Antique finish brass swing arm lamps, are these set in stone? I filed these away a while back and still love them:

• Arapaho-Rd
    10 years ago

Have always loved Karastan French Check. Everything looks wonderful - can't wait to see the actual transformation!

• teeda
    10 years ago

Wow, you are creating an amazing space! A far cry from the finished basements most of us are familiar with--congratulations--I'm sure you'll enjoy using it!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oldbat those lamps are spectacular! Unfortunately ours are set in stone, in fact they are sitting in the storage area downstairs....it is like a staging area for a Decorating War :-). However, ours may have a bit more style than I originally thought because instead of the arm going up, on this one the arm goes down and the drum shade is suspended over the table from the arm instead of being held up over it, if that makes any sense. I am hoping these do install the way I've described, not as the picture. They were very pricey though, so I can only imagine what those fab things in your photo cost! I am also loving the mini mattress for the pups. I had wanted to do built in beds on either side of the fireplace but got built in end tables instead.

Arapaho, I have also loved that carpet for years. I found out yesterday it is actually made by Helios and is private labeled by Karastan. The more I find out about this stuff the more i realize how easy it is to overpay as a retail customer.

Thank you, WMA. I appreciate that. Our basement was fairly typical and served a useful purpose for many years. I am excited to be stepping it up a notch!

Whoa, oldpbat--- just looked at the site and your lamps are from the same place mine are, and are actually less expensive. I am going to send the photo to him, thank you!

This post was edited by kswl on Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 22:50

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

I'm so glad you liked them! When I inquired about them, here is what I found out:

Cost I was quoted: $275 plus shipping.

The measurements are -

Height: 27"
    Extension: 24"
    Backplate: 2 - 2½" x 4"
    Available Finishes: AB, AN, BZ, PN
    Shade Details: 6" x 10" x 7" B, NP.
    Socket: Hi-Lo
    Wattage: 100

The shades are available in black or natural paper.
    The metal finish is available in an antique nickel or a polished nickel.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oldbat2be, thanks for that additional info. I did some checking of websites and emailed ID, and that light for $275 is an incredible bargain. The light retails in Amazon (lowest) for $482.90 each. The only thing that company has in the $275 price range is a very simple wall sconce---no swing arm, just a mounting plate, a welded arm and a smaller lampshade.

It's a moot point for me, though, as these are going over built-in tsbles at the ends of the sofa (fireplace wall end) and since the tables are built Into the wall there isn't room for that lower plate. ID says drum shade is needed there, more modern than graduated shade. So we will be stiaying with this one, but seriously, if someone will honor that price for the fixture and you have a place for them, you should get it ASAP!

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazon price for swing arm light with 2 mounting plates

• Arapaho-Rd
    10 years ago

Interesting re: Helios. Went to their website and found this!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yep, that's it..... circa 1992, or thereabouts, lol.

(The carpet is really WONDERFUL in blue and there's a great photo on Houzz of it that I hope Mtnrdredux sees. This check is a bit more buttoned up than her beach house is going to be, but it's a good anchor of blue on the floor and the wool feels wonderful underfoot....mtn, if you're out there)

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Nice!!!! I like!!!!
    Looking at the pics, I was wondering whether there was a question and couldn't imagine that there was one. It's just perfect.

• lovestowalk
    10 years ago

Your brick floor is wonderful!! All your fabric, lighting, and rug choices will look perfect with it. Great job!!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you! They are grouting now and are almost halfway through after one day. The grout looks a darker gray than I anticipated, but it will dry much lighter--- and we can make it lighter after the fact if need be, so I am not too worried.

Today we decided to do the lee swivel chairs on the lighter green with a single 4" hem in the darker green and leave off the addition al one inch of the third fabric. I really like the tweed but ID says too much, and he is right. Not everything needs to be uber detailed, some things just need to be simple and good quality, so there is no visual clutter. When ID comes down for install we will go art and accessory shopping...my favorite part!