Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheryl_hays3290497

Frosted glass window film?

Intoodeep
12 years ago

X-post w/ Bathrooms:

We are 80% done with the remodel in our master bath. We have a large picture window over the tub and we put a small window in the potty room.

Do any of you have experience with the frosted glass window films?

Our bathroom is very "exposed" to the whole neighborhood and we had an opaque cell shade there pre-remodel. Now, I am thinking that I would rather "frost" the glass so that the light can still come in, but no one will see me running around naked in the bathroom!

The window has mullions between the panes of glass, so applying should be easy. I am also considering only "frosting" 3/4 of the window height and stopping at the top section leaving it clear for direct sunlight. Would that look dumb? I would give the potty window the same treatment.

Thanks!!

Comments (20)

• nanny2a
    12 years ago

I have the film on our front door and the sidelights on each side, to give some privacy to our open floorplan. It works well and should be a good alternative for you.

• lolauren
    12 years ago

We also did this on a front door in our old house. You just have to be precise/careful to cut and then apply the adhesive piece without leaving any bubbles.

I think it looks good if you are especially careful, since it can look like a real frosted window (Except right up close.) If you only did 2/3 of the window, it would be obvious it wasn't a real frosted window. Would there be a way to add a mullion where the frosted part ends? If so, I think it would look a lot better and more finished.

• Intoodeep
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lolauren- yes, If I did 3/4 of the window, it would stop at the mullion.

Is there a brand that you recommend?

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

We didn't use frosted but a pattern on our front door. It was extremely easy to install just with a spray bottle of water. I highly recommend Wallpaper for Windows. They also can cut the film for you if it's a large piece.

I would do the whole window. They have a variety of translucency in their films.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wallpaper for Windows

• Sueb20
    12 years ago

I also have it on my front door/side lights. It has held up really well and is the best solution for me since I didn't want curtains or blinds flapping around on my door. I think you should do the whole window -- it will look odd to have only part of it done.

• lolauren
    12 years ago

I just used the product from one of the big box stores.

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

The big box stores do generally carry the frosted. If you want other patterns, you usually have to go online.

One thing to check is that if your window is glass vs. plexiglass. Some films are not designed for plexiglass. Our front door is plexiglass, and the ones from Lowe's said specifically not to use it on plexiglass.

• busybee3
    12 years ago

another option is 'frosting' that comes in a spray paint can. i also wanted bathroom windows that were frosted on the bottoms and clear at the top. i used to have the top down pleated shades, but since those windows are casement windows with cranks, it was a pain to open and close them. i saw a picture in 'traditional home' of bathroom windows similar to mine that had cafe type of curtains hanging to cover the bottom half of the windows--i decided i wanted a sheer fabric like that, so i sprayed the windows that would be covered with the frosting and hungs little curtains. can't see the 'frosting' under the curtains and can't see it from the outside either. and, very effective!

• kareen
    12 years ago

Nate Berkus said there is a film that lets light in and is a mirror on the outside so any one looking at the window from the outside just sees reflections of the outside . Said it was at the big box stores but I havent found it yet .

• sis3
    12 years ago

We tested a lot of designs at the big box stores. The only one we could find that truly obscured 'the view' was Gila's "Crackled Glass" from Lowes. We used it in 3 bathrooms, some on the lower sash only. It works great, even at night with all the lights on in the bathrooms, and looks just like real obscured glass.

When a 2 story home was built to replace the original single story cottage 11 feet from our side windows we used the same "Crackled Glass" film to obscure the arched windows at the top of our plantation shuttered windows. It prevents our neighbors looking from their second floor directly into our kitchen and dining room. It isn't noticeable, lets in all the light and yet shields us from view. I was worried that it might look 'tacky' but it doesn't at all.

• kswl2
    12 years ago

Why wouldn't you just use etching cream and have an actual "frosted" glass there instead of using a temporary product?

• kelpmermaid
    12 years ago

Don't use the "mirrored" film for this purpose; at night with the light on inside, people will be able to see in clearly from outside.

• lolauren
    12 years ago

Etching cream = "Warning: may be fatal or cause permanent damage to skin, eyes, or respiratory tract. Vapor harmful, causes severe burns which may not be immediately painful or visible."

• yayagal
    12 years ago

I just used it for my bathroom redo and I found it easy to use and had no problem cutting it. I cut 1/8 inch larger on one side and the bottom and then scored those sides into the window frame and cut them with a razor. They came out perfect, every one thinks I put in new glass. I got mine on Amazon. Just put window film in the search box.

• kswl2
    12 years ago

Lolairen, I understand it is a dangerous chemical, but the same could be said about all sorts of substances we use. I can Also understand using a temporary solution if you're not sure what you want permanently, But If the reason for the need for privacy isn't ever going to change and for some reason window treatments aren't wanted, etching the window is a less expensive, permanent solution. We are considering etching the panes of the French door to our bathroom, that's why I asked.

• nosoccermom
    12 years ago

How much do you see from the outside when it's dark and the lights are on inside?

• sis3
    12 years ago

The film we used will allow you to see only an indistinct shape and some movement when it is dark outside, the subject is illuminated brightly and only when the subject is standing within inches of the window. It does not allow you to see detail or clear outlines. In other words the most you see is a moving blurry blob! Our modesty when using our ground floor bathroom is protected!

I remember at Lowes they had small samples, like tiny windows, that you could test for the level of obscurity. The film we chose was the only one at the time that offered that degree of privacy.

• CooperGalway
    10 years ago

Actually, window frosting will let light through so you donâÂÂt have to frost just 3/4 of your window. But if you really want to, then itâÂÂs okay. I donâÂÂt think it would look stupid at all.

• chibimimi
    10 years ago

Our bathroom has the frosted film that is applied with soapy water. I believe it is Artscapes "etched glass," definitely from HD. It was very easy to apply (and reapply, if you get it a little crooked). We also left the top bit of the windows unfrosted, not for light, but for the view of the treetops.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz