Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Of upholstered refrigerators...

mtnrdredux_gw
10 years ago

I was just reading about the auction of the Lilly Pulitzer estate, and it mentioned that she had upholstered her refrigerator. Why didn't I ever think of that?

I would have chosen differently (knowing me, oyster linen, LOL) but how cool. Of course, a product of the Standard Oil fortune, Pulitzer publishing, and an entrepreneur to boot can be impractical.

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 9:47

Comments (40)

• maddielee
    10 years ago

I've seen a jeep covered with Lilly Pulitzer fabric. Cute!

ML

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

How interesting....if you can mount a wood panel to the front, there's no reason it can't be upholstered first...

• User
    10 years ago

I loved Lily and wore her dresses to graduation parties, outdoor weddings and just about every other type of summer event, even as a young adult. No one else could ever pull off an upholstered fridge....She was a force for bright :-)

Did you see all those women wearing their Lilys at the sale? Mi loved the auctioneer's bow tie!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I know, KSWL, but how about the guy in what looked like a chinoiserie tunic?

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

I've loved Lilly clothes and fabrics ever since I discovered her shop while living just south of Palm Beach many years ago. They have such a fresh, crisp, happy, tropical look to them. A fridge, on the other hand, would be a bit much for me (LOL)! I need to send this pic to DD to share with her sorority sisters. All sororities these days seem to be crazy about everything Lilly Pulitzer. They'll get a big kick out of it, I know!
    Lynn

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

International Harvester made a fridge in the 1950s that had a frame on the door that accepted fabric.

• User
    10 years ago

You mean the navy sportcoat with a white dragon print??? I LOVE it!

• nini804
    10 years ago

That is hilarious! Love it, and love Lilly!

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Of course, a product of the Standard Oil fortune, Pulitzer publishing, and an entrepreneur to boot can be impractical.

I'm sure she spend loads of time in her kitchen LOL

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

3 generations of lovin' Lily here. DGD now loves her stuff too! As to the refrigerator, just think of the possibilities for change. Not for me, but how fun!

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

I knew a woman who wallpapered her refrigerator.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

Yep, here's an ad for the International Harvester version:

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Amazing. Mostly that they were able to come up with 24 distinctly ugly refrigerators!

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

LOL, Mtnrdredux!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

LOL, mtnrdredux. That was pretty much my reaction, too. :)

EDIT But I bet if you saw that ad in a magazine, you'd remember it.

This post was edited by writersblock on Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 18:14

• amberm145_gw
    10 years ago

I looked at that ad and thought, "cool! I wonder if I can get a vinyl wrap for my fridge? Is that something I'd find on etsy? Ebay?"

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't know, but if it is really easy to change the fabric, maybe this should come back. It's the ANTI-stainless.

• teeda
    10 years ago

Reminds me of the late 60s/early 70s when housewives were going wild with contact paper. A friend of mine said her mother even covered the interior of the family station wagon with contact paper!

• Gooster
    10 years ago

Well, it only takes 7 minutes and 1 3/4 yards of fabric!. How about a modern reincarnation? Somehow, I don't think a Brunschwig et Fils fabric would take ketchup stains and brownie batter too well.

• crl_
    10 years ago

Magnetic refrigerator covers. ;) Never had one, just found via google.

Here is a link that might be useful: Magnetic covers

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

How many fridges in America look more like this?

• bpath
    10 years ago

Hey, the ad said they have foot pedals! I want!

• Miz_M
    10 years ago

Ugh, no thanks. Am I the only one who has to clean the 'fridge doors often? Water drips, etc. I can just see our cats deciding it would be a fun, new scratching surface ... at least it would give our couches a break, I guess.

This post was edited by Miz_M on Tue, Mar 4, 14 at 8:28

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

cool, crl

bp, i noticed the same thing!

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

I'm going out on a limb and assuming that is not YOUR fridge, Annie! LOL.

Now I want fabric panels for my fridge. Darn you, mtn.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

C'mon Sue, it's cool.

Plus, you have a special birthday this year! Don't you know, *0 is the "refrigerator birthday", ya know, like year 10 is your paper anniversary or whatever?

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

ya know, like year 10 is your paper anniversary or whatever?

Ha. Many [many!] years ago, I told my DH that if he ever bought me an appliance as a gift, he was getting divorce papers the next day LOL.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

"Skins" or large size magnets for refrigerators, for 119.00 s/he can be yours

There are also less polarizing (?) images, e.g.

Here is a link that might be useful: More fridge skins

• suero
    10 years ago

I want a Tardis fridge!

• amberm145_gw
    10 years ago

"ya know, like year 10 is your paper anniversary or whatever?
    Ha. Many [many!] years ago, I told my DH that if he ever bought me an appliance as a gift, he was getting divorce papers the next day LOL."

sjhockeyfan, I said something similar to my DH the first year we were together, a few days before my birthday. He sheepishly handed me a KitchenAid stand mixer (before they became common and inexpensive). I had to eat my words, it's still one of my favourite gifts.

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

OT: Amberm, I actually broke up with my fiancé, several months before our pretty much totally planned wedding for that same reason (lol). He gave me jumper cables for my Christmas present. Then, it was the right thing to do and I've never regretted it. Now, happily married for 31 years to my sweet, very romantic DH, I've been very happy with his occasional Kitchen Aid or Williams Sonoma gifts. Go figure!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jumper cables? There is a joke in there somewhere, Lynne!

• deegw
    10 years ago

When we were young and poor, DH , knowing that I love to cook, gave me a calphalon frying pan for my birthday.

I know his heart was in the right place but I had to explain to him that other people might think the gift was strange. I had several uncomfortable conversations after that birthday.

"Dee, what did you get for your birthday?",
    "A frying pan."
    "Hmm."
    "It's a nice one!"
    "Hmm."

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

Suero, that Tardis cover is so clever. I definitely want one...and the cottage to put it in.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

My husband once gave me an electric knife sharpener for my birthday. He realized immediately he had made a grave mistake. It's in my garage, having never been taken out of the box.

• suero
    10 years ago

I once gave my husband a son for his birthday. The conversation went something like this: "I'm sorry that I was unable to get you the present I planned for your birthday, but how about a kid?" And I gave birth the next day, several weeks early.
    He really liked that present. Still does.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Uh oh, kind of digressing from the fridges here, but I am guilty of giving jumper cables as a Christmas present, too. Those and an emergency kit (blanket, flares, flash light, shovel...). DS seemed to enjoy the kit, but I guess I should know better now.

• Gooster
    10 years ago

I've been guilty of giving a first aid kit for xmas. Some things are better being given as "its not your xmas/bday/anniversary gift, but I thought you would need this"

Who buys the type of "skins" that nosoccermom posted?. They are too big for dorm fridges and too small for a frat house. And I'm at a loss at the target market for the first.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

If I had to choose, would go for the coca cola skin. But can't choose, no way would that work in the kitchen. Perhaps a garage for fun.

If you do consider a skin, make sure the quality will work. There is some delicate labor in sliding them on and skimming wrinkles/air bubbles. Sticky back would be a bit tough to do well. The material which uses water for adhering is a positive, it really does stick well and can be moved around, adjusted for error easily.

Fabric is interesting, wonder where one could go with that. If anyone does, would love to see your visions.

I have an American flag for my Mini Cooper sun roof. It slides on with water and stays through all kinds of weather. Goes on during Veteran/American holidays. Would love to find the same material to match the sides of my fridge. That stuff is tough, 10 years old in the elements without scratches or color fade. Probably need to go to a sign shop and see how this is made.

Wraps can be done at sign shops too, or auto tinting/skin shops. You can take any photo/design wanted and they will wrap anything. My guess is about $350 to do this.

Gifts from husbands....Every Christmas I opened a great power tool and a beautiful gown/robe from Victoria Secret. He was the ultimate in knowing what was perfect. Always loved power tools, his gifts may have been a way to keep me out of his shop....the gowns were endearing.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Good question re. fridge skins. I feel tempted to call them and ask who orders the naked woman or the girl eating the banana. Frat house sounds like a good guess.

On the other hand, if one could buy a magnetic skin for 15.00, why not, just as a gag?

Here is a link that might be useful: deal of day/fall leaves