Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

different cl table and what about this plant?

User
15 years ago

This is a two part question

#1 This table was listed on my CL yesterday. I was considering getting another table for in the LR because I recently found this lamp I like. I was going to move the smaller end table that has the black lamp on it, beside the wing chair and put the new table beside the loveseat. I don't want a floor lamp. It's either get another table or take the new lamp out of the room. I'm leaning towards another table. Scroll down to see pics of the whole room.

What do you think? They're asking $15.00

"Mahogany leather top end/lamp table. This is a very nice table with tapered legs. The leather top has gold around the border. A very nice and sturdy piece. See the photos. Any questions, please e-mail me and check out my other posted ads."

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

#2 This stand was beside the bookends in the LR. I moved this stand and plant to here....

{{!gwi}}

I think the corner looks bare? Does it? Should I move the plant back there or leave it up front.? Should anything go in that back corner?

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (18)

• nicole__
    15 years ago

Thanks for posting pictures, makes this easier. The table is a steal for $15!!!!!!!!!!!!! It goes with your decor perfectly....GET IT!!!! Yes, you need somehting in that corner, maybe a large mirror? corner china cabinet in dark wood, seems redundant, but yes, something should go in the corner. Fake house plants are kinda tacky, I'd steer clear.

• threedgrad
    15 years ago

Get the table and put plant back in corner with an up light next to it.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nicole - I emailed the lady about the table since I'm curious about the height and width of the top. I wonder if it's still available at that price!
    Hmm.. my wheels are turning about the corner. I can't have real plants (or flowers) because of my cats. IMO fake plants are only tacky if they're covered in dust. :)

• ronbre
    15 years ago

the table is a steal at $15 go for it if you love it.
    I can see that some rearranging in your rooms would be quite helpful..try moving the furniture off the walls and grouping it around the entertainment center, and try moving the sofa so it isn't blocking the china cabinet.

maybe moving it on the opposite side and put the chairs together on the china cabinet side with a table and lamp either between the chairs or with each one farther apart..

a coffee table would help to anchor the sofa and love seat or other sofa (can't tell if it is two sofas or a love seat) ..and they would work better across from the china cabinet with the cabinet being more open with smaller furniture near it rather than large? Right now your furniture balance is heavily one sided with the light stuff on the left being too light and all the dark on the right

• redbazel
    15 years ago

Unless you went to look at it, it's gone. For $15? It will disappear.

Red

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ronbre - The furniture is off the walls. I could scoot them toward the middle farther though. I think I'm safe to say just about everything has been tried in this room as far as arranging goes. It's a lot more balanced than is used to be. hehe See link.

I agree a coffee table would help anchor but I don't know that I want one. Mainly because I could see if becoming a catch all for junk. If something catches my eye I might feel different about that. :)

Red - They still have it. Just got an email back from the guy. He doesn't know the measurements and is going to check tonight. I think I want it so hopefully it can be arranged.

Here is a link that might be useful: Musical Furniture

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

Just get the table sheesharee as for $15 it'll go. It looks to be very sturdy and leather top in good condition. If for some reason it didn't work you could always resell on CL. When something is priced like that you need to act fast.

Personally I like the chair you had in the entry area before better than the plant. It made more sense too as someone could sit there and put on a pair of shoes. Then put the plant back in the LR. I think fake plants look better if they are more in the background and not front and center as is the one of the plant stand.

• irislover7b
    15 years ago

I love the end table! I have the matching coffee table. I got it a few weeks ago at a thrift store for $7.

• CaroleOH
    15 years ago

I think you should get the table too. The only suggestion I have for your bare corner is to get a much bigger tree - like a ficus or something tall to put behind the sofa in that corner, then I'd do a grouping of art above the chair and I'd pull the chair a tad further away from the entertainment unit. The tree you have is nice, but I think the pot is to small and it looks out of proportion. I do like it on the other side of the room if you get the bigger tree for behind the sofa. I like to put my fake trees in bigger pots because in reality if it was a real palm, the roots would never be in a pot that size, so to make it more realistic, you need a wider based pot. Just my opinion of course!

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well I'm going to get the table. In the process of setting something up with him. The lines remind me that it's kind of contemporary? I'm still drawn to it for some reason. If it doesn't work I'll either resell it or DH can use it in his man room in the basement. Which is a later project.

I'm torn about the whole plant, plant and plant stand thing. I was fine with the chair in the foyer area before but then someone mentioned there wasn't a connection between the picture and the chair.

Caroleoh - A bigger tree? Hmmm.. that sucker is like 6 ft. I do agree the pot is wrong. I'll admit I didn't put much thought into it when I bought it. I'm not sure what style and color to get. Suggestions are welcome.
    So you'd keep the palm where it is and move the chair over and put another bigger tree beside the bookends? I did wonder if I should put any art on that main wall when you walk in.

Here's that chair I'm talking about.
    {{!gwi}}
    I will say the leg was broke and repaired but I wouldn't trust a bigger person sitting on it.
    Here's in the LR
    {{!gwi}}

• ronbre
    15 years ago

it was probably me that said you need a connection between the art and the chair, but it could be just a small table or a small plant, nothing too big is needed, just a table to sit a cup of coffee or some mail on..would be really nice there..

I'm not a fan of fake plants, at all, although i have used them in some cases..they never really look real and for a couple bucks, usually less than a fake you can get a real plant, didn't realize you had fake plants there..

i still think a small table by the chair would be nice..or maybe a wall shelf under the art? But it looks OK..just would complete the picture if you know what i mean...i think you have a lovely home, have you tried the upholstered pieces on an L on the left side of the entertainment center with the chairs on the right?

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ronbre - I agree that real plants are nicer but IMO the palm is pretty realistic looking IRL. Even up close. It even has some brown areas in some of the leaves. I can't have real plants or flowers because of my cats. I do have real plants at work but they're not looking too sporty. Poor things.

I don't think there's room for a small table beside the chair. Well, it would have to be pretty skinny.

I've tried a lot of different furniture arranging. Check out the link above. There were even different threads prior to that one where I tried even more. It usually interfered with the traffic flow etc. I did try some suggestions with moving tables around in the middle but then have the issue of the cords. I believe with the size of my main furniture,(sofa,loveseat, entertainment stand) cable jack location, etc. the arrangement above is probably the best. I'm sure I'm not done tweeking tables, lamps, and art. :) A work in progress that's for sure.

I do appreciate everyone's suggestions. Think I need to sit on all of if for awhile. At least until I get the new table.

• threedgrad
    15 years ago

I think your tree is fine. If it is too short put it up on a black stand. I still think you can place it in the corner with an uplight or even small Christmas LED lights which I have on my tree in my dining room.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Get a load of this crap....

I just walked in my front door. I was to go get that table tonight. It took me 30 min. to drive to his house from my work. It takes me 45 the other direction from my work to get home. He asked me to call on the way there because he has four dogs and wanted to get them put away before I showed up. I called him and nobody answered so I left a message. We got there (co worker went with me) and it looked like nobody was home. The cars that were there didn't look like there were moved. You could tell by the snow. I figured we'd wait a few min. because we were like 10 min. early. We then see a volvo driving up. The guy looked like he wasn't sure where he was going. We actually joked he was coming for my table. The guy was on his phone...then he pulls up close to the house, dissapears around the back and comes back around with MY table! He proceeds to put it in his car. I get out and ask him what he's doing. He said he was there to pick it up and I was 5 min. too late. I wanted to punch the dude in the face. He was very smug. I explained how I was to be there at 5 to pick it up! I was then so pissed I muttered some choice words and walked back to the car. I then called the seller back and started to leave an irritated voicemail and was cut off due to lack of service. When I finally got home and checked my mail he sent me a message saying,"sorry..it's sold" Like a 1/2 hour ago. I sent him an email back. Didn't swear at him or anything but I'm sure he got the picture of how I felt. I guess it wasn't meant to be but I'm amazed at this. Isn't it usually the buyer you have to worry about not showing up!? We had the email conversations last night. It was clearly agreed what time I was going to be there. What in the world. Dh can't understand why I didn't knock on the door or try to do something. It's great to say you'd do this or that but when you're in the situation you don't always think that quick.

Oh well it's just a table and it wasn't meant to be mine but it did waste my time, gas, and patience tonight. :P

• threedgrad
    15 years ago

The seller sounds like a real jerk. You will find something better, not to worry.

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

Oh, I'm so sorry you did not get the table and were treated so rudely. I've never had such a thing happen--usually once you make an appt. you assume they will keep it on hold until you arrive. If a buyer is very if'y beforehand then a seller may say whoever comes first gets it, but still it lets you know where you stand. The only item I bought I was very nervous about was my DR set where the seller had received numerous inquiries about it (which she told me) and it would take me 1-1/2 hours to get up there. I have an appt. to purchase a couple of Pottery Barn desk chairs tomorrow and I'd be pissed too if they were just sold out from under me. I do try to be very clear in my emails--if I want to check it out or if I want to buy. With the chairs I know I want to buy since I have one right now that I've used and these are the same plus he posted a couple of pics and the price is very good so I told him I wanted to buy them.

I think you handled it just right as it takes all types and there is no point squabbling about a $15 table. Just think road rage--you just never know what sets someone off. Sometimes CL does turn out to be a wild goose chase. I remember driving 1-1/2 hours for a rug--asked seller straight out beforehand if there were any stains, he said no stains, and low and behold when I get there it has lots of stains. I felt like complaining to him--but I'm at his house, so just said I wasn't interested in the rug due to the stains, but never voice my frustration how he misrepresented the rug and wasted my time and gas. Then there was the time I was trying to buy an antique footstool and the picture posted did not match (even close) to the ones they were trying to sell. Seems she had 4-5 footstools for sale (all crappy) and her son uploaded some picture from the internet. Bait and switch. I did say none of them looked like the picture and did she not have that one for sale; but did not vent my frustration at how they misrepresented the item and wasted my time and gas. I'm a lot more careful now and ask for more detailed pictures if it's a significant drive away. You can also tell a lot about a potential seller/buyer just by the way they communicate in their emails--if they are abrupt and/or courteous. I usually find when someone doesn't address my questions it's better not to bother--even if they price is good because chances are it's a waste of time.

Win some, loose some. But, in my experience, something better always comes along if only you have the patience.

• remodelqueen
    15 years ago

How terrible, and just plain RUDE. I've had good experiences with CL so far, but I know there are some jerks out there so I always prepare myself.

Keep looking, you'll find the perfect table :)

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yeah, this was my first bad experience. I'm not mad anymore but just shocked. I was clear in the email that I was coming to buy it. He seemed very clear on the day and time. He also seemed polite and wrote well. I didn't expect it. I do believe something better will show up.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm