Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting a rug to stay put on carpet

Posted by sashasmommy (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 10, 11 at 9:31

We need to put an area rug in front of the door to protect the carpet. When I did this in my old house, I tried using that sticky backing so that it wouldn't move, but it still worked its way crooked little by little and then straightening it was not easy because of the sticky thing. What are your tricks to keeping the rug in place when it's on carpet and people are walking on it alot?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting a rug to stay put on carpet

I have been looking at rug pads for 2 days for my hardwood floors. In my searches, I noticed some pads made specifically for carpet. Here is a link to some

Here is a link that might be useful: Rug pad for carpet

o

Ours for the most part doesn't move. There is just one spot that bunches up in front of the couch where the dog always lays. So I haven't used anything yet.

Now don't laugh to much....my mother got tired of her area rug walking on her carpet so she stapled it to the floor. Yes, stapled. And it didn't help the problem. Some days I question her thinking. LOL

o

I'm not laughing, I actually considered that!!! Good to know it doesn't work.

o

We have a large area rug and it was wrinkling a bit (moving) on the carpet, so we were told by the rug salesman to add a rug pad. We bought the one he recommended and there's no more wrinkling/moving.

o

There are pads for rugs on carpet and there are different pads for rugs on floor. Make sure you get the right kind.

o

I just researched this--how to get my new area rugs (I'm in a new house with hardwood floors for the first time ever) to stay put on top of their pads since the ones in my kitchen try to walk off the pad. Anyway, the answer I've found is CARPET TAPE. I haven't tried it yet--just last night found the answer (or what I hope is the answer). It's double-sided. I found some listed on amazon.com. Now to research which brand to try......

o

Thanks for all the input... tracey, please try to post a reply to this post when you decide which kind you're going to get! Thanks!

o

This one seems to have the most reviewers, mostly saying good things. It'll probably be the one I try. I'll let you know..........(if I can remember by then!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Intertape 9970 Indoor Carpet Tape

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here