Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dakota01

Wallpaper Pattern Size?

dakota01
11 years ago

I Love wallpaper!
I have a tiny, tiny powder room that I want to make it look larger and give it a Wow factor.
Would a small print or large print make it feel larger and give me a Wow look?
A dark color or light color?
Toilet & pedestal sink are white , trim is cream, dark hardwood floor.
Room size is 4'9 x 4'9. 9 ft ceiling.
Thanks

Comments (11)

• Vertise
    11 years ago

I think color gives the biggest wow factor, before you see anything else. Pick colors that you absolutely love together. Something bold on the wall in a powder room can be dramatic, as can a large pattern. It's hard to know the effect without seeing the space but it's not necessary to do those things to wow. Wow simply depends on what a person likes!

• graywings123
    11 years ago

I agree - colorful and bold is the way I would go. As soon as I saw the word wallpaper, I was reminded of the paper that MarinaGal was considering.

Here is a link that might be useful: Goldfish wallpaper

• MarinaGal
    11 years ago

Jeannie - I love the look of large scale paper and color in a powder room. There are many great inspiration photos on Houzz. Some of my favorite wallpaper is by Osborne & Little. I just ordered two for my house renovation project and wish I could use more. I think you can go dark or light colors with white fixtures and a dark floor.

graywings - you are wonderful to remember my beloved O&L fish paper. I just checked that old link - wow, that was like a lifetime ago in our renovation project - which morphed from a 2 month project into a 7+ month project. I did order that fish paper - the charcoal background with white fish, and it will be installed the week after next. I can't wait to post photos of the new powder room!

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

I'd go big with the design, but restrict the bold color to a soft, somewhat neutralized variation on the same hue, rather than a mix of vivid colors. I'd choose something deep rather than pale, and include the ceiling, which will enlarge the room by softening the angles at all the edges.

You get pattern, drama, and depth that way, and you help the walls to recede rather than jump into your face. And, oddly enough, a darker powder room feels more private than a light one, particularly when it's small.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

I'd go big with the design, but restrict the bold color to a soft, somewhat neutralized variation on the same hue, rather than a mix of vivid colors. I'd choose something deep rather than pale, and include the ceiling, which will enlarge the room by softening the angles at all the edges.

You get pattern, drama, and depth that way, and you help the walls to recede rather than jump into your face. And, oddly enough, a darker powder room feels more private than a light one, particularly when it's small.

• dakota01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions , I was originality thinking of painting the ceiling a complimentary color with some shimmer added, but now I think your suggestions are right on target by papering the ceiling for a cohesive look.
    My current colors through out the house is blue/green, dark teal and brown.
    Can't wait to start looking for my paper!!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I like a large scale paper, but if you want the room to look larger, go with a light back ground color. The dark colors look great in a PR if you want it to have that small, cozy, jewel box effect....but if you want it to look larger, go lighter.

• dakota01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Anne , I had to laugh at you commet of: If you want it to have that small cozy look OMG how could it look any smaller! I'm surprised the builder could fit the toilet in there! Lol
    Thanks again

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

I think powder rooms are the place to have fun. You almost can't go wrong, esp since you are starting with classic elements.

Have fun.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

You reminded me of our overnight on the train where the potty was so small you literally couldn't sit straight on the seat as there wasn't enough room for your knees! That was a small powder room!

On Sarah's house, she went with a light but bold wallpaper in the PR.

• MarinaGal
    11 years ago

Oooh, Annie, I recently ordered that Schumacher paper for my second floor laundry room. The powder room you posted is beautiful. I am completely in love with that paper! It should be installed at the end of next week (as long as New England STOPS getting snowstorms. Grrr...)