Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gigib_08

Need help finding an apple green to go with this shower curtain

gigib_08
15 years ago

My girls, 13 and 8, share a Jack & Jill bathroom and I am trying to find a color that will tie in their rooms together somewhat. I'm always amazed at how you all find the perfect color, so I'm reaching out for all of your expertise!

We purchased the shower curtain below & I tried some blues on the wall, but I don't like the blues with the blue walls in my teens bedroom, so I would love to paint the walls a light lime color or apple green? Nothing TOO bright, but not nursery looking either. SW paint or a shade I could get at Lowes preferred, but I may be able to talk hubby into going alittle further & get BM paint.

Hubby says I get one more chance, so I appreicate your help! Thanks so much!!!

Here's pics to help...

Shower curtain

{{!gwi}}

13 year old's bedroom

{{!gwi}}

8 year old's bedroom

{{!gwi}}

And the bathroom

{{!gwi}}

the blues I tried

{{!gwi}}

Comments (25)

• gigib_08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I wanted to add that there is No natural light in the bathroom. Thanks!!

• tammy518
    15 years ago

I don't have any pics of it, but I used Behr Grasscloth in my office, and it's a pretty green that might work for you.

• daisyadair
    15 years ago

I just love blue and green together. Your teen's room is very cool. I only wish my kids rooms were as clean !
    I would feel very confident about suggesting Lowes Olive3 (laura ashley) to you until you said there's no natural light. I have it in my laundry room and had a CFL light in there that made the color look horrrible. I recently put in a new light with an incandescent bulb and it's like I re-painted the room - such a difference! So, what kind of bulbs are in your fixtures?

Have you had a chance to check out the green thread in the gallery? Lots of great ideas there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Greens

• parma42
    15 years ago

This post has rooms painted in SW Bamboo Shoot and Sassy Green.

Both are nice and lively without being overpowering.

Here is a link that might be useful: SW Greens

• gigib_08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

tammy518 - Does Lowes carry Behr paint? Not sure where to find that, but if I do I'll look up the grasscloth. Thanks!

daisyadair - I think having no natural light is what is making finding a color so hard, love the color until I get it home & on the wall. The light bulbs in the med. cabs are soft white & in the overhead light fixture Reveal, I believe.

parma42 - Definately love the Sassy green. I will check that one out. Thank you!

Has anyone used any of the Laura Ashley's apple greens?

• ronbre
    15 years ago

take in and get the paint color matched..you can take in the shower curtain or the curtains themselves and have them match the paint color excatly..i have done that a lot

• Cheryl
    15 years ago

Here is a pic of LA Pale Apple #2 paired with blue. It is very bright and cheerful, the picture looks more yellow than it looks in person.

• gigib_08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Any other greens, anyone? I'm going to Lowes & SW tonight so I'll pick up some chips.

ronbre - Thanks for the suggestion, but the green in the shower curtain is alittle too much for me. I'm looking for a lighter color that would compliment it though. I will bring in brighter darker green with my towels & other accents, but I don't think I want that exact color on the walls.

daisyadair - Meant to say thank you for your comments on my girls' rooms. My teen picked everything out, including her wall color (Mom was quite shocked but I kept telling myself "It's not my room!"), so she's been pretty proud of her room & has kept it clean (so far) LOL! My youngest has always kept everything in its place (No idea where she got that from!)

• persnicketydesign
    15 years ago

Oh my gosh! Those rooms are adorable.

Check out SW Melange Green & Hearts of Palm too. Melange doesn't have as much yellow in it as Sassy. The way the light is hitting the Sassy Green today it looks more like a dill pickle! :o)

The are pics of the same wall at different times of the day. :o)

• gigib_08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

riff3 - Thanks for posting that pic. I love that color! I will definatley check it out tonight. Love your son's name, too! (It was my Dad's name & if I had a boy I was going to pass the name on! Great name!)

• tammy518
    15 years ago

Betteratthelake, you can find Behr at Home Depot.

• gigib_08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks persnickety! It's a great compliment from you 'cause I love your rooms & decorating style!!!

thanks tammy518!

• jane__ny
    15 years ago

Its hard to photograph as it appears yellow on my screen. It is the lightest lime-green, like a keylime pie color. Very soft and goes so well with yellows,greens and whites.
    Restoration Hardware Eucalyptus.
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Very pale green,

Jane

• scarlet_morgan
    15 years ago

I LOVE BM Pear Green.

• scarlet_morgan
    15 years ago

Here is a picture of BM Pear Green.

• amac
    15 years ago

BM dill pickle is a great color - I have it in our sunroom. It's one of my favorites!

• polly929
    15 years ago

Amac- I was going to suggest BM dill pickle as well, I had my living room painted that color in my last house. Loved that color!

• Nancy Fryhover
    15 years ago

You know, I actually think a bright white for the walls might be pretty cool..paint the CEILING either the green of blue of the shower curtain, .then
    find some wood boxes, paint them the colors of the shower curtain and hang them here and there on the wall, perhaps flanking the mirror for towels, accessories? Then go with a plush rug in the colors of the shower curtain. Then, find some cool old statue like a poodle and paint it white plus other whimsical statue characters to place on the counter top...maybe a big fun clock on the wall....so they know when its time to quit primping..ha, ha!

• gigib_08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone for your great suggestions! You all have been a great help in leading me in the right direction! I think the green is going to be fun! After bringing home a dozen color chips, I think I will be going with Limonata.
    {{!gwi}}

It actually is alot brighter in person! Hubby will go & have SW match it & I hope to have him painting soon! I'll post pictures when we're finished!

If anyone has any cute ideas for accessories, I'd love to hear them! I have a big blank wall across the vanities & I never seem to know what to hang artwise in a bathroom!

• dana211
    15 years ago

i love your 8 years old's room. the color is so good and so is the personalized decor :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Nina At Home

• Nancy Fryhover
    15 years ago

ideas for accessories.....How about bringing some nature in the bathroom? Get a long tree branch..paint it white and hang it on the wall, and help the girls paint some cool wood cutouts or other objects painted dark blue and silver and hang with some jute twine? Something you all can share and teach the girls to be creative with just a piece of wood from the yard?

• 3bebe
    15 years ago

betteratthelake,

What brand, color and finish is the aqua paint in your daughter's room? I have been trying to find the perfect aqua for my daughter's room and they have all been too light or too dark, yours looks perfect on my monitor! My daughter is so tired of all the aqua splotches all over her walls and my husband is tired of wasted paint I keep purchasing!

Thanks,
    Emily

• persnicketydesign
    15 years ago

That's a pretty color, BATL! Can't wait to see it on the walls.

Let them do their own artwork! Get cheapie wood frames and have the girls paint the frames the blue colors that are in the shower curtain. Use them to frame homemade paper snowflakes or inexpensive white paper doilies. Hang them on the wall with ribbons in a tight grouping like this...

Or use white frames and have the girls paint on the backside of the glass with the colors on the shower curtain. They could do anything...their initials, random shapes, flowers. Whatever makes them happy! I know they'll come up with something great! They did a fantastic job on their rooms. :o)

• gigib_08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bebe-3 - Sorry, I'm just seeing your question. I've been trying to come up with my own color, as Limonata is WAY too bright! A quart of white paint later, it's finally looking better.

Anyways- The aqua color on my 13 year old's room is a shade by Olympic (Lowes) called Aqua Chiffon A58-3. I took the paint chip to Sherwin Williams & they color matched it in their Supreme Satin finish. It's a great color - Don't let the Chiffon name full ya - it's bright enough for my teen, but not too bad that it sent Mom in a panic! LOL

persnickety- thanks for the suggestions! I think this might be a good time to try those framed initials I've seen on here. Now to find some paintable frames! Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Olympic paint

• 3bebe
    15 years ago

betteratthelake,

Yea! I'm so glad you checked back in the thread! I am definetly going to try the Aqua Chiffon and hope it is the one for her room, fingers crossed! Your description sounds perfect, teen bright, yet no Mom panic!

Good luck working with the paint to tone it down, can't wait to see the results!

Thanks for the link,
    Emily