Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_459360

The Tiiniest Hints of Spring....Any in Your Yard?

User
10 years ago

I am beyond ready for spring! Last week we cleared out all the dead plants from pots, wheeled out the big sago palms that have wintered in the basement, replaced a potted yaupon holly, put begonias in hanging baskets which were freshened up with black paint beforehand and put out potted geraniums on our bedroom porch and around a deck. And one of my favorite flowers, freesia, went in the pots by one of the staircases.

Do you have any hints of spring to share? Post photos!!

Comments (37)

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

We live in the Boston area, so my hints of spring aren't photo-worthy, but I do have about 1/2" of daffodil foliage peeking out of the ground! Of course, we're getting more snow this week, so it will be covered up soon... ugh.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I always think daffs look so brave when they are peeking through snow, sueb20. I hope you don't get hit by another really big storm, you've had more than your share this year.

• User
    10 years ago

kswl..you will want to cover up/put away/protect all of that for Tuesday!! One last punch of below freezing and the wind will really be something on Tuesday. Our daffs are almost done and my crocus are done. Dogwoods are opening. Flowering crabs are gorgeous as are the Yoshino Cherry. Azaleas are starting and camellias have been stunning !
    Tuesday : Sunny, with a high near 55. Northwest wind 5 to 10 mph increasing to 15 to 20 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 35 mph.
    Tuesday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 30. Northwest wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Trail, I know we should have waited another week or two but I couldn't stand the bare yard any longer! We'll be out with plastic Tuesday night..

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I've got yellow and purple crocuses popping up, and the greenery of daffodils sprouting, here on Cape Codâ¦and a blizzard on its way for tomorrow night!

• tinam61
    10 years ago

It is a bit early here in SE TN to put out annuals. My star magnolia (some call it tulip tree) is in full bloom and the Bradford Pears are close. Forsythia and Quince are blooming. I saw the first bridal wreath yesterday. Daffodils have peaked, I've seen plenty of hyacinth, but no tulip blooms yet. My candy tuft is going strong! I have enough blooming to hold me over for a few weeks. We are freezing temps coming tonight and tomorrow night. Weatherman is predicting the is the last real cold for our area.

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

Early daffodils have been beautiful for a couple of weeks and others are starting to bloom now. My tulip magnolia has been blooming but the freeze tomorrow night may turn it brown, sadly. Redbuds are beginning to bloom but no dogwood yet. Lots of greening up beginning on some things I noticed this weekend.

• camlan
    10 years ago

I can now see about 4 square feet of ground, surrounded by piles of snow, in the center of the yard that gets sun all day long.

Or should I say I can now see about 4 square feet of mud?

And I heard birds chirping this morning.

• joyce_6333
    10 years ago

We had 0 degrees this morning, and still have lots of snow on the ground. So it will be awhile yet before we see anything green. Supposed to get up to freezing today, with sunshine, so hoping some of the snow melts. Long winter...anxious for spring.

• fouramblues
    10 years ago

There are lots of crocuses and snow drops in the woods in front of our house, but nothing in our yard yet. But spring sure is coming to MD - I heard the spring peeper frogs on Saturday night (I sure hope the little fellows are surviving this cold snap we're having!), and my tree pollen allergies have already started. Love your cheery pic, kswl!

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

The drift in the back yard is down from 7 feet to about 3 feet, and I can see some brown grass. Whoo Hoo.

I'm watching for hawks - they tend to arrive here before robins. And I'm told the snowy owls have headed north already.

• violetwest
    10 years ago

Yes! My fig tree that I planted last October has survived the winter and now has tiny figlets

This post was edited by Violet.West on Mon, Mar 24, 14 at 12:09

• beachpea3
    10 years ago

Yet another North of Boston report....one very brave crocus is trying to come up through the snow and ice on the south side of the house ....the rest are probably waiting to see how their little "sister" is doing...

Battening down the hatches for yet another snow storm...a nor'easter too... We are more than ready for Spring!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I guess I should not be complaining about our weather but instead should be grateful our day temps are consistently hovering around 59 or 60 lately. I do hope this is the LAST big storm you GWers in the north get this year. Your crocuses and chirping birds are definite harbingers of Spring, so surely it won't be long!

Violet, your figlette is too cute, I love it!

• violetwest
    10 years ago

Thanks -- I'd never even planted a seed or pulled a weed before I bought this house; so it's pretty gratifying to see the fig, pomegranates, vitex tree that I planted in the fall all surviving.

Planting time is here again!

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Ha! I should have mentioned the sound of lawn mowers! We noticed several near us this past week, but so far we have held off. Not gonna make it much longer though!

• woost2
    10 years ago

Ground is still frozen solid below one inch. The only green thing at the edge of the woodland is .... garlic mustard. B'ah!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tina, it sounds very pretty with the spring bulbs and trees in bloom up there is Tennessee! I'm surprised people are mowing there though, as we haven't wont need to mow for at least another month. I don't like the sound of movers but do love the smell of freshly cut grass.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

You're gonna kill me ...

Orange blossoms are still in bloom and have been for a month
    Tomatoes are setting fruit
    Chilis ripening

And I'm harvesting basil.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

I have four crocuses blooming. More snow tomorrow.

Linda

This post was edited by whitelacey on Mon, Mar 24, 14 at 16:09

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Yes, it is such a pretty time of year. I think people are rushing it just a bit, but our yard has really "greened up" in the last couple of weeks and would probably look better if it were mowed. We're holding out - once you start, well you've got to keep it up! LOL

Our dogwood festival is next month. We do not have any dogwoods blooming yet but my husband and my dad swear they saw one yesterday. (I think it was another kind of tree LOL)

• deegw
    10 years ago

I'm near the GA/FL line. I have some azaleas that are ragged but blooming and our grass is about 50% green.

We have a crazy cardinal that keeps attacking our car mirrors thinking that his reflection is a rival.

• cold_weather_is_evil
    10 years ago

lazygardens, I understand. Moving on now to a hint of summer...

• rosesstink
    10 years ago

Everything is covered with snow here - and it is snowing right now. The arrival of some red-winged blackbirds at the feeders is my sign of spring so far.

• decordummy_gw
    10 years ago

I envy all of you. Yesterday we had -10 fahrenheit - yes MINUS (and that's minus 23 celsius).

Tomorrow it's supposed to go up to minus 2 Celsius (28 Fahrenheit).

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Hah! Spring? I'll believe it when I see it. I have seen robins but that is it. The road crews were applying liquid salt today in preparation for the snow that is expected tomorrow.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

When spring does finally come to the frozen U.S, you will appreciate it tenfold! I am afraid though that we will go directly from winter to summer, since the cold lasted so long. That's what happened last year and we really missed the milder weather.

Lazygardens and coldweatheris evil.... I don't blame you for a little gloat now and then... when we lived in Florida full time the winters and spring were so perfect I used to wonder how people in other parts of the US survived their winters. We've lived in some very cold places, and I am glad to be in a more temperate zone now. I spent one memorable winter in the Netherlands and thought I would NEVER be warm again. You know, just like Scarlett, all drama and swish, except with weather, not carrots ;-)

• happy2b…gw
    10 years ago

Several osprey are scouting around even though round #? of winter blast is almost upon us. Another 3-5 inches of snow is expected tomorrow and temps in the 20's and 30's this week.

• stolenidentity
    10 years ago

when I walk in our 'hood it smells so good :

• nini804
    10 years ago

Y'all, this is been the absolutely worst winter...and I am in the south! (NC) Honestly, when I hear about the horrible weather in the NorthEast and MidWest, I just feel so bad for you and try to count my blessings here...but it has been pretty awful for us, relatively speaking. I just can't seem to get warm, and every time we get a pretty day in the upper 60's or heaven forbid, low 70's...it's like Mother Nature says..."ha-ha, PSYCH!" and sends some nasty cold rain or lovely ice that we enjoyed so last week. *eye roll* I am DONE. I will NOT complain about the heat and humidity this summer, if we are even so blessed as to have a summer. No sir, I will embrace sticking to my car seat and ringing out my shoes after a morning jog. I am so tired of being cold. :(

Ah, well, we do have some Spring things trying to put on a show in our yard. Our forsythia is lovely, and my brave hydrangeas are putting out their new, baby leaves. No dogwoods yet, but cherry trees and Bradford pears are blooming. Of course, if it is cold and windy...that will decimate their blooms. Grass is green and pretty. I try to cheer myself up by looking at it from the confines of my warm house. Spring, please arrive! (I feel guilty saying that when y'all are dealing with much worse.)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Well the woolly bears predicted a long winter and a late spring...so far, so accurate.

• Bethpen
    10 years ago

I guess we should be battening down the hatches here on Cape Cod. I've heard everything from 3 inches to two feet expected for tomorrow/Wednesday. The snow doesn't scare me as much as heavy winds. This time of year the snow melts quickly, but power crews can take a while to catch up.

I'll be happy to have some warm weather.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Those hyacinths smell good even on the internet, sasafras!

Nini, I know exactly what you mean.... tomorrow night we'll be wrapping stuff up like it was January. Our dogwoods are terrified.

So sorry, bethpen, I hope it's the last.

Annie, I think we should start with that fool groundhog. Replace Phil and the rest of the wildlife should fall in line ;-)

• bpath
    10 years ago

Spring? What's that?

• jenna1
    10 years ago

We just can't believe the weather these past months in other states. My BFF lives in the NW part of Georgia and asked me when Spring is really supposed to arrive, not when the calendar said. I had to very smugly tell her that I was in shorts, tank top and barefoot all day long. I don't think she's talking to me now. :)

It was 92* here today and expected to be 91* tomorrow. I could never survive the cold, snow and ice elsewhere. And to think I was born in Wisconsin and spent a good portion of my youth living in Germany.

I'm so very thankful we now live in the western part of Arizona, on a lake. On the other hand, when the Summer temps reach 120 plus I'll be the one groaning and my GF will be the one gloating.

Jenna

• kitschykitch
    10 years ago

The plants on our balcony are still sad, valiant strugglers here in NYC.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

When in your garden, forsythia is lit in bright golden posies, take out your scissors and prune your roses. My Eastern and tulip magnolias are blooming, my flowering quince are blooming, the roses are pudding on bud, the Chinese fringe plants are fuschia and the bridal wreath are bathed in tiniest white flowers. My neighbor's dogwoods are budding, my Japanese plums are budding and tiny snakes are crawling out to meet the sun.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm