Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
balego_gw

BM Wilmington Tan, can I go wrong?

balego_gw
14 years ago

My living/dining room is now painted a deep brown BM colour called Driftwood. I love it! However, all of our furniture is dark. Brown leather, dark red-brown woods. And the room itself is long and narrow, with three small windows that do not let in a lot of light. I am considering painting the room Wilmington Tan, but am a little concerned about how it will look in my room. I have seen a few photos of it in rooms when I googled it, and it looks beautiful, but those rooms are probably larger and brighter than mine. Does anyone have it in a lower light room and is it as lovely as it seems to be in brighter rooms? I would love to see photos, if anyone could show me.

Comments (15)

• peaches12345
    14 years ago

I would get a sample pot from BM, some poster paper, and put samples of Wilmington Tan up all over your lr/dr. You can't tell what something will look like in your own room by looking at others' photos- different lighting, distortion of color on computer monitor, etc. Just try it in your own setting.

• juddgirl2
    14 years ago

I agree - definitely try a sample board first. I loved the WT rooms posted here so I painted my entire foyer this color without sampling it first. It had an orangish cast in my low-light room and I disliked it so much that I made my husband repaint within a month (he was not happy).

Now, I paint huge sections of drywall and place them all over the room for a week or more before I commit to a color. It's worked out much better!

• balego_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thankyou for the replies. That is what I wanted to hear, whether a paint would have an undesirable cast to it when the light changed. I have had the experience of choosing a soft gold from the samples, and when on the walls it showed up bright coral on one side of the room and green on the other! So I was hoping to hear from people that have used WT share their experience with it in various lighting conditions, if they were happy with it or not overall. I do know my light isn't the same as other peoples' lighting, but if I hear that it shows an undesirable cast at times, I will stay away from it.

Some colours seem to remain consistantly nice, such as the colour I used in my hallway. On the mainfloor it does get some natural light, but upstairs it gets very little. Day or night, dull days or sunny days, the colour looks great, with no strange colour cast anywhere. That is what I was hoping to hear about Wilmington Tan. :)

• Valerie Noronha
    14 years ago

I have it in my living room which is Northern Exposure and only gets indirect sunlight as well as my entry which has a skylight above. There is a large window in the room opposite the pictured wall, but also a large shade tree out front. It seems to look good in all lighting conditions. Not too dark at all. We are very happy with it and get lots of compliments on it.
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• jockewing
    14 years ago

valinsv, what is that LOVELY blue/green/gray color on the other wall?????

• marybeth1
    14 years ago

I have WT in my very tiny PR with a very small window not much light. I love it and I don't think it's dark at all, I also do not see any kind of orange in it in my home. I think it's a very classic color. I really like it. BM paint stores also sell small sample jars of allot of their colors maybe you could find a sample jar and paint it on the wall the sample jars are cheaper than buying a quart.

• Lyban zone 4
    14 years ago

Marybeth,
    Please tell me where you got that shade in your PR. I like it.

• peytonroad
    14 years ago

I LOVE my WT!! I put it as my "Nuetral" throughout my home and it blends so well with the other Historic colors from BM. Here are some photos.

downstairs
    {{!gwi}}
    upstairs hallway
    {{!gwi}}

• Valerie Noronha
    14 years ago

jockewing: The other color next to the WT is Behr False Cypress.

• marybeth1
    14 years ago

lyban, thank you. I ordered them from a local shade shop but I remember they were Kirsch. I believe Jcpenney carries them.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    14 years ago

We have Wilmington Tan throughout our main living areas (recommended by our painter), and we really like it. Echoing what peytonroad said, it blends wonderfully well with other BM historical colors. It is a warm, golden tan. It does not read orange at all in our house.

Here are some pictures:

But . . . do take the advice to either paint a large piece of poster board or wall area to test it out. The sample pots are well worth it.

Hope this helps,

Jan

• balego_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thankyou, everyone, for sharing your experience and photos. It really helps me to see what it looks like in rooms, and various light conditions!
    Valinsv, that false cypress is beautiful,too!

• prairiegirlz5
    14 years ago

valinsv~I have always enjoyed looking at your room. I wasn't online for a little while, missed your posts, and wondered about your rug choice. It looks great!

jan~I love your pics, I'm looking for a neutral to go with my new furniture (similar to yours) and my red DR, very excited to see how nice the BM WT looks in a home with furniture and rooms similar to mine! I was afraid that WT might be too much like the sofa, so it just blended in, I want it to stand out. p.s. I love your rug/drapes.

balego~Please share a pic of BM Driftwood in your LR. My DD just gave us a new sectional (yay!), and now the kids want me to repaint the walls "cocoa". I really want a neutral that is darker, but not too dark. The adjoining DR is red, pillows on the sofa are red and fake cowhide (cream and brown). I know, I need to get some samples too.

• balego_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

prairiegirlz, here is a couple of photos of my living room with the Driftwood walls. I do love the colour, but as you can see, everything else in the room is dark brown. I recently hung biege curtain panels on the windows but I have an alternate set of orangey/tan striped ones that I really like with the brown walls. Melons and blues go well with Driftwood.
    As you can also see, the three dogs coordinate very well with the colours. ;)

{{!gwi}}

This last one shows the room with the orange curtain panels and light furniture, taken a couple of years ago before we changed to the dark leather furniture.

{{!gwi}}

• sunfeather
    14 years ago

I like the Driftwood - it looks nice. Have you tried it without the curtains and with a rug and light throws? Just a thought.