Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mjsee_gw

Ebay find---Dragons, chalices, a tray...OH MY! (pics)!

mjsee
14 years ago

Forgive the x-post from Antiques and Collectibles...but I'm stumped with this cool thing I just bought on ebay and not getting many comments over there. I THINK it might be a cordial set. The little chalices are definitely cast in some sort of white metal and then plated with something. The tray is probably cast...but does show some marks on the bottom that MAY mean some hand Repousse or chasing...I am not an expert by any means.

The motifs are definitely Japanese-esque...but more int he style of the late 19th/early 20th c western fascination with the culture...think Whistler's Peacock room.

From Early Spring 2010

The dragons on the little goblets are surrounded by stylized plum (or cherry?) blossoms...on the tray they are clearly water dragons. The condition on some of the goblets is rougher than I'd hoped...but I bought the piece largely for the tray. My google-skills are usually pretty good...but I'm not getting anywhere. SO--do the antique mavens who hang out here have any ideas?

melanie

Comments (6)

• teacats
    14 years ago

No ideas but simply divine!

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• nicole__
    14 years ago

I'm "not" an expert....but....it looks very 1980's to me. Dragons were "big" then. Remember the blacklight posters with the muscled women wearing very little clothing? This stuff was collectable and "not" actually used to eat or drink from. The game dungeons and dragons ring a bell? It was sold at modern day trinket shops.

Here is a link that might be useful: Higher end version,but they still sell this motif....

• mjsee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

nicole...you could be right. I thought it had more age on it than that...and it's definitely been used...one can see where the finish has been worn from washing. I'll try and get a better picture of the goblets and their wear...

The design seems a little better than the typical D&D stuff I remember from the 80's...most of those dragons were 4-5 clawed, not the Japanese three...but I could be wrong.

I didn't pay much for it, so I'm not too worried about value. I just like to know what I own.

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

Are you still in communication with the seller. Would they not share the history of the object?

I am not an expert but this looks like a typical carnival prize. Dragons and serpents are a popular decorating motif for those into D&D, Harry Potter, Renaissance Faire, Bikers, and interest in modern day Satanism.

It is not solid pewter and it does not look like it was actually intended for food use.

• Ideefixe
    14 years ago

Looks Asian to me. Maybe some sort of Korean or Japanese cordial set?

• mjsee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

dilly dally--seller picked it up on a whim and has no further information...

It is definitely not solid pewter. Looks to be spelter to my eye. I agree that there's a huge dragon market these days...but this hasn't got that feel to it. Those tend to be "darker" with lots of flames/smoke...not ocean and plum blossoms. I could be very mistaken,though.

I wasn't planning on using it as a cordial set, regardless. I was thinking I'd use it as a display piece...perhaps for small beeswax votives. Use the three chalices that are in the best shape for votives and then put beeswax tea-lights in the remaing three indentations?