Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutmeger_gw

Durability of Annie Sloan paints on dining room furniture

nutmeger
12 years ago

Hello,

I just purchased a really cool, older Ethan Allen dining table and chair set. My goal is to refinish the table top, and paint and glaze and/or distress the table pedestal and chairs (which have caning on the back and cool chunky legs) 2 of the chairs are "captain" or chairs with arms. The pedestal and chairs would be in a white-ish color. I have heard wonderful things about Annie Sloan paints but would like to hear more about durability in a dining room setting (think: little kids with messy fingers!) Can you scrub the piece down? Wouldn't that remove the wax, which I've heard protects the piece? I'm looking to resell the piece after its done and I'm a bit of a nit-picker for details :-) Thanks for the help!

Comments (8)

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    12 years ago

Hi nutmeger,

I have several of her colors in the sample sized jars, and have enjoyed using them. I have waxed all my pieces, but have not had to scrub them. I'd suggest contacting one of her 'stockists' in the USA. I have put a link to a state by state list of them below, so you may find one in your area to ask.

I have read that they are well-trained in the products, so could probably answer your question on the durability of the wax. You CAN poly over her paint, too; I just don't care for that look as I prefer the 'softer' look of wax.

Here is a link that might be useful: Find AS chalk paint sellers in USA

• andreadeg
    12 years ago

I had never heard of Annie Sloan paints before; very interesting! The soft look of waxed furniture is right up my alley. Maybe I'll give her paint and wax a try.

• lolauren
    12 years ago

The wax cures well, when it's a thin coat. I used the paint and wax for a buffet and foot stool and the finish is tough. The key is using that thin coat and giving everything time to cure before you use the piece.

I have some pieces that I didn't wax, and it feels like enough water could remove the paint. I don't get that feeling with the waxed pieces.

I think you'll be fine, especially if you want a distressed look.

• nutmeger
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the tips!

• WallartistryStudio
    12 years ago

I have done a lot of testing with the Annie Sloan Chalk Paint and Soft Wax in regards to durability on a table. I have a sample that I have let water, coffee, smoothies, and various foods sit on for hours at a time. The liquids have remained as a "pool" and never soaked in. I was able to clean with soap and water very easily but also tested Windex and Simple Green very successfully. As a professional finisher for over 12 years (and have been dabbling for 20!) I have found the Annie Sloan products to be the easiest to use and the most durable. I will still take out my professional spray system and use other paints and clearcoats if my clients insist, but after I show them how durable the waxed Chalk Paint is and how much more affordable, they are sold everytime! Enjoy the process!

• catkin
    12 years ago

Can anyone share pix of the projects you used Annie Sloan paint/wax on?

Are her products worth the price in your opinion?

Thanks!

• tinam61
    12 years ago

I have a couple of pieces and have a few more that I intend to paint myself. I love the feel and patina of her paint and waxed pieces. The wax IS wonderful and you should never need to "scrub" anything. Simply wiping it will be enough. We're lucky to have a stockist in the city where I work, so no shipping. The paint is a little pricey - but you can paint alot with one quart. For smaller projects, you may get away with a sample jar.

tina