Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kcimato

Monochromatic Color schemes

denali2007
16 years ago

Has any one here done a monochromatic color schemes in a room? Is there a secret to doing this or do you just use different shades in your wall color drapes furniture etc. I'm thinking about doing it in my dining room. Any help would be appriciated.

Comments (23)

• texashottie
    16 years ago

Yes, it's all about using different textures. That's the key.

• karenforroses
    16 years ago

I did our kitchen in a monochromatic color scheme - shades of beige - and I love it. It is calm and serene and lights up with just one vase of flowers or piece of bright pottery. Kitchens get cluttered so easily, with all the food preparation, etc. going on. They tend to be the center of the home, so they collect people's 'droppings' (mail, books, sweaters, cups, etc.), along with food prep items, dirty dishes, etc. and additional colors and decorations always seemed, to me, to add to the clutter, so it didn't take much to mess up the kitchen (I had several colors and a fair amount of display dishes, dried flower items, etc. going). So when I redid the kitchen, I focused on soft, soothing and plain. I love it, and it cleans up in a jiffy! My photos are now in the living room and inside a cupboard door instead of on the refrigerator, and I don't miss the decorative items around the counters at all - I just have lots more room to work now.

• mayvenne
    16 years ago

karen, that is so pretty and as you said so calming. frequently when I see kitchens with so little clutter it looks almost sterile, but yours looks calm and inviting.

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    16 years ago

I LOVE monochromatic rooms and I think your kitchen is a great example of a serene kitchen. I agree that kitchens become so easily cluttered; it helps so much when the kitchen itself (the clutter backdrop) is not contributing to the cluttered appearance.

Some people know how to live to keep clutter at a minimum but we don't seem to operate that way--it's a constant battle! Like you, I have cooking utensils out by the stove and I try to keep them monochromatic as well :-)

Here's a question: when you wash dishes by hand, where do you put them to dry? That is a major clutter issue for me!!

• wooderlander
    16 years ago

I got rid of my dish drainer because it had become a storage rack for dishes that no one felt like putting away, the biggest clutter item on the counter.

Now, I put everything possible in the dishwasher, and when I must wash something by hand, I dry it immediately and put it away. Turns out it's pretty easy and definitely neater. It takes only seconds to dry and put away a couple of cooking pots.

• organic_smallhome
    16 years ago

I love the idea of monochromatic rooms. And karen: I have always loved your kitchen--so peaceful. :)

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

I had saved this photo from HGTV on my computer a long time ago. I think it was an article about monochromatic rooms but I've long since lost the verbage and only kept the photo. Really, there's a couple colors in here but it might still qualify....?

• budge1
    16 years ago

Years ago I watched a french film called La Lectrice and I still remember an attic bedroom in the movie that was all blue. Blue rug, blue cotton bedding, blue paint and blue curtains and then a wooden or wicker trunk at the end of the bed. It was so simple but so gorgeous. I think the key is to throw in one thing in different colour. The shades of blue were all subtlely different.

There was also a woman on Sarah R's show that decorated all in white, but had things hanging on the walls in colour. I think one thing was a small red chair.

What colour are thinking about doing?

• pinkpetunia
    16 years ago

Here's another monochromatic living room from Florida Design:
    {{!gwi}}

• susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

I love all these monochromatic rooms that add a touch of color and/or use contrasts and shades of the same or similar colors to create a calming and inviting space.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

I love monochromatic. It's so soothing. KFR has the most beautiful kitchen by far!!

• clax66
    16 years ago

Hi there, I love monochramatic colour schemes too for the peaceful, soothing feelings that they evoke. As one poster said, using different textures is key.

My other suggestion is to be careful about mixing neutral shades. For example, many taupe shades have pinkish undertones and don't go very well with creams. Sands and creams on the other hand go very well together because of their yellow based undertones.

• denali2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I hope to do my dining room with BM Affinity paint. Ceiling in Tumeric and walls in Honeymoon. What areas can I use different textures as was suggested? All I could think of would be the chair seats and curtains.Would that be enough?

• brutuses
    16 years ago

Textures in items such as, glass ware, pottery, flowers, curtains, etc.

• texashottie
    16 years ago

Denali, even your accessories can add texture. Textured wicker baskets with glass balls, textured rugs (think sisal and seagrass or fuzzy fur), a pile of logs in the corner by the stone fireplace, recycled tapestry seat covers on an iron-framed chair, a peeling-painted wood candlestick with drippy, waxy candles, silk drapes tied back with burlap... it works best if you pair smooth surfaces with something courser. The reason you notice the textures more is because the scheme is monochromatic.

You should flip through some books/magazines for more inspiration. Here are some pics---mostly in creams:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• karenforroses
    16 years ago

We just redid our downstairs guest bedroom in a mostly monochromatic color scheme (white) with white beadboard walls, white sheer curtains, and white painted furniture (a mixture of old pieces we painted). It really brightened up the room and the soft aqua touches give in a feeling of serenity for guests. It ended up a bit Shabby Chic, especially with that great old rose oil painting that had belonged to the grandmother of my friend.

• tinker1121
    16 years ago

There was a good monochromatic post last year.
    Here is pictures I had saved:
    From HGTV:
    {{!gwi}}

I need those red pillows. Anyone seen something similar?

• sandra12
    16 years ago

I didn 't realize till reading this, that I guess our bedroom is sort of monochromatic.
    {{!gwi}}

• denali2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone. That helps. Karen I love that guest room and Sandra yours is gorgeous as well.

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Denali, from our Gallery (you really should look there)...

{{gwi:1532494}}

{{gwi:1532506}}

{{gwi:1532508}}

{{gwi:1532509}}

{{gwi:1532516}}

{{gwi:1532518}}

{{gwi:1532522}}

{{gwi:1532546}}

{{gwi:1532695}}

{{gwi:1532697}}

{{gwi:1532702}}

{{gwi:1532703}}

{{gwi:1532705}}

There are others there...

Here is a link that might be useful: Dining Room thread in Gallery

• denali2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oceanna

Thanks for the gallery site. Love those gold DRs

• oceanna
    16 years ago

You're welcome. Enjoy! I love the gold ones too. There is plenty of inspiration there for all of us.

Please be sure to post a "before" and an "after" pic here for us to enjoy when you do your project. We're also happy to help along the way.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    16 years ago

Monochromatic in any color scheme always works as long as there is at least one green item in the room: one plant or one floral display.

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
DC Area's Award-Winning Interior Designer | 12x Best of Houzz