Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

My basement facelift

Sueb20
13 years ago

We are nearing the end of our basement project so I thought I'd post some pics. We decided to upgrade our basement space from "strictly playroom" to "family room" now that our youngest is 10. Formerly we had an ugly dropped ceiling, big rectangular fluorescent lights, a disorganized closet with a broken door, nasty carpeted stairs. All in all, not a bad room, but it never felt like an extension of the rest of the house, if you know what I mean. Anyway, in the process of our "minor" facelift, we ended up having to reroute a lot of pipes, deal with electrical issues we hadn't been aware of, and so on. Originally it was supposed to be two weeks. I think it's been about 6 weeks. But, we're very happy with the result.

BEFORE:

a href="http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y75/sbmor/?action=view&current=IMG_9257.jpg"; target="_blank">

DURING

a href="http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y75/sbmor/?action=view&current=IMG_9379.jpg"; target="_blank">

The lights will be recessed, not hanging down like they are now!

I am trying to think of something interesting/creative to do with those 2 big doors that are on the wall of built-ins. They have to be that size because of the water meter and other junk behind them, but they look sort of big and bare and boring. They will be open and closed fairly frequently because even with the utilities, there is space inside for storage -- so I don't think hanging artwork or something on the door would work. Maybe I could, however, hang a couple pieces of kids' artwork in lightweight frames attached with Command strips? Other ideas? I thought of chalkboard paint but I don't think I'd be happy with a large swath of dark paint there. All the built-ins will be painted white.

Everything is supposed to be done tomorrow! Paint is being completed today and carpeting is being installed tomorrow. I hope to be all "moved in" by Saturday night and will post "after" pics soon.

Comments (6)

• teacats
    13 years ago

Fantastic work!

Can't wait to see the finished room/spaces!

How about turning that door space into bulletin boards? You could paint the cork or cover it with fabric (which could be switched out over time) -- and then add a bunch of family photos or artwork. You could even store some craft things in the cupboard! Or create a hanging storage on the interior side of the doors!

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

Looks really great. I'm very very jealous. Our project has stalled due to the overwhelming amount of other home projects (dd2's bedroom that was promised to be completed before she got home for spring break--TOMORROW). I only have studs and some insulation up.

I clipped your post so I could show my dh and hopefully it will give him the energy to get back down there and continue on. We don't have a goal for a finish date set (maybe by the time the kids are home for the summer from college, since it going to be a hangout area for them).

Great looking built ins you have there. Can't wait to see the final photos!

• youngdeb
    13 years ago

So fantastic! I don't know if you're adding trim or keeping things more clean-lined. But if it's the second, why not paint those doors two different, bright colors to provide a little contrast? Like a Mondrian - yellow and blue, or blue and red, etc. I assume a TV is going on the lower part, and having those two hits of color calling out the rectangles could provide for some nice geometry on the wall next to the rectangle of the TV...

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I went to Ikea this morning to get baskets for the cubbies (yay! found some good ones!) and also picked up four very lightweight picture frames, all 8 x 10. The frames are black, which might work pretty well since there will also be a big black rectangle nearby -- the TV is going in that blank space on the left. If not, I can do something else with my $2 frames.

Jan, thank you SO much for the idea of putting some kind of organizer on the inside of the doors. I totally had a "why didn't I think of that?" moment.

• kathleenca
    13 years ago

Boy, what a wonderful change you are making. Though I don't have any particular hints, I did want to say what nice ideas you have - it's going to be a space you really enjoy.

• les917
    13 years ago

You might consider applying some flat wood moulding on the doors to mimic the cubbyhole shapes on the rest of the unit. It will add some interest and break up the flat door expanse, but make the doors feel like they belong in the space.

A wonderful transformation of your space. Please post pix when you are all done!