Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorishopaholic

Dining room decor help part 2

lorishopaholic
10 years ago

I posted awhile ago and received wonderful advice about my dining room. I now need some more opinions about my chairs in the room. I just really don't like how the chairs are looking with the new decor but I am not quite sure what direction to go. Do I recover my current chairs which I paid way too much for about 7 years ago when I was going thru my Tuscan phase? I am thinking a neutral linen for seat backs and front if I go that route. Or do I cut my loses and purchases new chairs? I really think my table and buffet would look fine with some new more modern chairs! I am really tired of the dark material and honestly never been crazy about how huge and bulky my chairs are. Here is a picture of the dining room in its current state. Thank you in advance for all your help! I posted this question under my old post but didn't receive any responses so I thought I better start a new post.

Comments (33)

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another view

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Close up of current chairs. I have arm chairs on each end.

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are chairs I am thinking about. I personally love the ring on back but I have found them with or without it. It seems pretty classic to me but would love everyone's opinion.

• theclose
    10 years ago

My first thought was reupholster. If you like the chairs. I think reupholstering will give them a whole new look. The frame color goes well with the buffet so I think just a change in fabric would do it. Of course, if you no longer like the big chairs, then don't waste money reupholstering.

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I thought about adding some color and using these as the head chairs but I am not sure how they would look with the style of the above chair.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

That set is beautiful. I think getting new chairs wouldn't do it for you because you've still got the heavy, dark table and buffet.

I think your idea of a lighter, neutral linen is a good one. I'd start there and see if it's enough.

I rug under the table might also help. Maybe something like this, which would compliment the blue and the neutral linen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Not-so-blurry pic of rug

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I would stay way from white chairs in a food setting!

Your current set is beautiful. Looking at the pic, to me what is out of place and makes the room feel heavy is the chandelier. I think it clashes with the drapes and the blue in the shades of the lamps and the painting. I think that is an area where you could modern and lighten up the look of the room.
    Maybe something like this:

And perhaps change the mirror for a more modern one.

Maybe something like this, which I think would have an interesting light effect.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mirror hangers

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Maybe pricing out reupholstery will make your decision for you since you know the cost of the chairs you like.

If you reupholster or buy, I like the idea of a neutral linen on the the side chairs and then picking up the blue in your peacock artwork for the arm chairs.

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Would you reupholster the seat as well or leave the brown leather seat? I believe I have seen some chairs at RH done wth the linen backs and leather seat and thought it looked nice but just not sure in my room. As for new chairs I have seen some inspiration pictures on houzz and other sites where they have a heavier darker table with more modern chairs like above and it seems to balance nicely. I am just not sure which direction to go.

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I would do the upholstery myself so I would only be out time and the cost of materials. Tibbrix- I love that light! I have oil rubbed bronze for all my fixtures do you think it would be o.k. to mix it up with that light?

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I think it's a great chandelier for your dining room because it's a perfect hybrid of contemporary and traditional. The chrome also goes with the lamps on your buffet, so you're already mixing up your ORB pieces with the chrome. However, the chandelier in your dining room is MUCH more of a presence than are the sconces. If you were to to switch out the chandeliers and the sconces didn't work, you could always switch them out as well.

Did you check out the mirror link too? I think that would look amazing between the two buffet lamps and behind the new chandelier. Here is the link to that chandelier, btw.

Here is a link that might be useful: chandelier

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 9:50

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

And here you go, sconces that would go with the chandelier!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sconces

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I love the chandy that Tib posted. It would look awesome in your room.

I like your furniture but I would definitely reupholster to freshen the look.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Lori, if you do get the Midtown chandelier and the matching sconces, be sure to select the polished nickel finish in the sconces so they match! Sconces come in two finishes while the chancy only comes in the polished nickel.

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tibbrex- thank you for looking all that up! I Like them a lot! I think I might try reupholstering first and see how that looks. Also, my sconces are not hard wired but just candle sconces. I wish they were! Any ideas for candle sconces that would match the chandy? I also might replace the two arm chairs with the blue wing chairs pictured above to add some blue???

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Lori,

If you've got electricity on that wall, it is not difficult to install electric sconces and would be a lovely improvement to you dining room. I LOVE sconces in dining rooms, and that set, with the chandelier, along with your buffet lamps, I think would look stunning in your dining room.

Personally, I wouldn't get the blue chairs for the end chairs. Rather, I'd look for two linens that oppose each other, and do the side chairs in one and the end chairs in the other.

So, for instance, do the two end chairs in this fabric:

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 16:58

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

And the side chairs in this:

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 16:57

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Or, you could pick up the peacock theme with this fabric (Calico Corners)

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Or this:

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am thinking I don't want a print on the chairs because the print currently on my chairs is driving me a bit crazy. I am wanting the chairs to not be as busy. That being said I might consider a stripe. I really am thinking a neutral linen but maybe I could upholster the arm chairs in a blue linen would that be weird? I am going to check about wiring for sconces that would be fabulous!

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Well, in the first example, I didn't mean the roses fabric per se, but was just trying to illustrate doing the "x-ray" thing on the side chairs and the end chairs.

I personally don't think doing the end chairs in a different solid linen would look very good. I think you do need a pattern to get away with that. But what might be interesting would be to do every chair in a different linen, but in the same spectrum, i.e.: pastels or muted colors or bold colors.

• nuggly
    10 years ago

Hi Lori...I answered under your old post but don't know how to link it to this one :( I also think the chandelier needs to be changed, but get a feel for what your room will be before you make an expensive purchase like that. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

• Mmmbeeer
    10 years ago

I may be in the minority on this but if it's in the budget, I'd opt for new, clean lined chairs. The older I get, the more I realize that simple design has the most longevity as well as being the most environmentally diverse choice you can make. It goes well in traditional style as well as contemporary. The chairs you have aren't offensive at all. But you can look at them and see that you went through a "Tuscan Phase". And who didnt? It was a great phase--15 years ago ;-)

• Mmmbeeer
    10 years ago

I apologize; I just read my reply and I sounded like an ass. You said you purchased your chairs 7 years ago in your "Tuscan phase". Then I post about how that was a good look "15 years ago" and it sounded really snarky, which I didn't mean at all. Tuscan was very popular for MANY years and had a broad appeal. That's what I wanted to come across in my original post--I'm sorry if I came off as insensitive because I didnt mean to.

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

FingNugSnug- the dining room furniture was bought as a set about about 7 years ago. I do have different styles going in that room because I am trying to phase out the Tuscan style pieces. I am hoping to try and keep the buffet and table as I have seen similar pieces put with more streamlined chairs and decor and it seems to work. I guess I tend to like a eclectic look.

Mmmbeeer- I didn't find it offensive at all! I appreciate your honesty. What are your feeling about my current table and buffet with new chairs? Do you think that will do the trick? My table is hard to see in the picture but much more streamlined than the chairs. Basically a trestle done in a dark finish. Majority of people seemed to not like the chairs with the rings on the back so maybe they are too fadish. Thoughts on that or another style of chair that might stand the test of time or at least 10 years or so. Lol!

• andee_gw
    10 years ago

How much would it cost to change out the entire set of chairs? Can you afford to do that (and the new chandelier??)? Make some temporary covering on the chairs and see if you like the big chairs better covered that way.

You might consider putting a couple of the chairs on either side of the buffet, or elsewhere, to remove the dark bulkiness at the table.

• beausrose
    10 years ago

I like your idea of re-covering the chairs with a linen type fabric.

Have you considered painting or putting a wash on the chairs similar to the RH look? A watered down pale cream or gray with the linen fabric would be pretty and lighten up the feel of the room.

Paint or wash the mirror also in the same color as the chairs.

I like the style of the current chandy and it could be painted too. But if you are considering a replacement for it, be sure to scale it the room.

Here is a link that might be useful: chair ideas

• texasgal47
    10 years ago

If you can afford it, I would completely change out the chairs to a simpler style and would use the white linen fabric from Sunbrella. That indoor/outdoor fabric is meant to handle soil and stains. I've had a chevron off-white fabric on my formal diningroom chairs for 40 years, and they still look like new. You might look at Carolina Chair as they use Sunbrella fabrics and have great pricing as sell direct from the manufacturer to the customer with no middleman. By the way, I vote for the chandelier that was suggested. It complements the lighter look you are trying to achieve.

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great ideas! Thank you! Beausrose- I do love RH ! The rest of my house is decorated along those lines. I really would prefer to have new chairs so I am thinking I will try and CL them and if I don't have any luck selling them I will try your idea Beausrose.

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

As some suggested I think I will change out the mirror as well. Here is one idea. I am not sure which way I would turn it and unsure if it is too boring because of the plain shape but I love the champagne color as it picks up the color in the painting. Thoughts?

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another idea

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Love that second mirror. If she goes with the chancy and sconces, along with the lamps she already has on the buffet, though, not sure the aged nickel will work, since the others are all contemporary chrome.

• nuggly
    10 years ago

Mirror number 1. If its big enough, I'd put it horizontally. If its on the smaller size and not too expensive, 2 hung vertically might look nice.