Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homenoobie

Family Room Rug Arrived!! Thoughts?

HomeNoobie
11 years ago

Hello all!
My rug arrived and have been itching to show you guys! What do you think?!

For the background, see this post: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg0209075119984.html?42

And here it is:

Now I need curtains/art/coffee table or ottoman/accent pillows - and I can use your help!
I don't want the room to look too "matchy matchy" - I would like a layered look.

I was thinking of these curtains:

Here is a before picture just for comparison:

Comments (39)

• natebear zone 10B
    11 years ago

The rug is perfect and I like your choice of curtains. Are you planning to layer them? They may go transparent when the sun is shining through.

• HomeNoobie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Natebear!
    I didn't really want anything too opaque in terms of curtains because our home backs onto a wooded ravine, and I don't want to obstruct the view - so I'd probably leave them as is. I read that they are more on the opaque side as well - not so sheer!

• anitamo
    11 years ago

The rug goes well in your room and the quality looks great, too. I will be watching this thread to see what cocktail table you come up with, as I am frozen in deciding with which one to place in my LR. I have an ottoman now and it just looks too solid and matchy- matchy. I haven't found a table, though, that inspires me.

• jenniferPA
    11 years ago

Wow, what a difference a rug can make! That's beautiful, and I like your sofas too.

• HomeNoobie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks, antiamo! I'm really not sure what to do with the coffee table/ottoman. I really would have loved a cream tufted ottoman, something like this:

[Eclectic Basement design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic-basement-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_747~s_2104) by Portland Interior Designer Garrison Hullinger Interior Design Inc.
    or this

[Traditional Family Room design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-family-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_720~s_2107) by Chicago Interior Designer jamesthomas, LLC

or even something with a pattern like this:

[Ottomans And Cubes design[(https://www.houzz.com/products/ottomans-and-footstools-prbr0-br~t_530) by New York Furniture And Accessories West Elm

I too haven't really seen any tables that are tickling my fancy :(

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

Really nice! And quite a change with the new rug.
    A glass table with chrome/silver color?
    Also, I feel like you may want to consider one more pop of color (like an aqua or turquoise or teal or chartreuse) in a vase and perhaps in a picture; or a lot more green with plants.

• HomeNoobie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks, jenniferPA! I was pretty excited when it came in!

nosoccermom - I totally agree with the pop of color but just can't figure out how to do it without it looking random and out of place - also can't figure out what accent color to use! I have trouble visualizing things! What do you think of those curtains?

• geokid
    11 years ago

Gasp! I love it. Please don't add a big white ottoman to cover up that gorgeous rug.

Maybe something like this? (West Elm)

Or a glass-topped coffee table. (CB2)

And maybe a mirrored table at the end of the sofa. I think the reflections of your rug on the table would look very cool. (West Elm)

I like the curtains too. Would they stay open most of the time or would you need to close them?

• Sueb20
    11 years ago

Love it! I like the curtains, too.

To add a bit of one more color, I'd look for maybe a pillow (or two) in a narrow stripe pattern that has gray, gold, and one more color. Turquoise? Hmm. Then you could "pop" that third color elsewhere in the room.

I like that table above from West Elm!

• HomeNoobie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

geokid!
    I know you're opposed to the ottoman - but what about putting feet up? Maybe an alternative is going with a table like you suggested, and then getting a couple of cube ottomans (ottomen? ;) ) for either side of the fireplace to be pulled to use for putting feet up if needed?

I like the first table you suggested. I also really like that mirrored confection! Where would you put it? between the two sofas? or on the side of the sofa that is beside the hallway? It looks like the right size for the side of the sofa beside the hallway - and then I also need a table for between both sofas. Keep your stellar ideas coming!!!
    Also, I would leave the panels always open.

• HomeNoobie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

sueb20 - thank you! Yes - I definitely need many more pillows.. that yellow one is actually from my bed, but I pulled it there just to see how it goes. It seems like turquoise is the consensus on an accent color - how would you guys pull it in? with an accent pillow? I'm not so confident in my ability to match patterns and carry it off.

I also need a chair for the corner that will pull everything together.

• geokid
    11 years ago

Am I the only one that puts my feet up on the coffee table? lol I wouldn't do it with the glass-topped one, but I certainly would with the first West Elm one if it was sturdy enough. I just think a big block of white in the middle of the room wouldn't look right. Maybe I'm wrong. It's happened before. :-)

I like this idea too.
    {{!gwi}}
    é2013 Lisa Sherry Interieurs

What are you going to do with the TV accessories next to the fireplace? Maybe you could do something like the above picture but with acrylic tables flanking the fireplace with ottomans tucked under them? The tables could be used to place the cable box and as a side table for the chair in the corner.

Yes, I was thinking that mirrored table for the end of the sofa near the hallway. I don't think it's big enough for the corner.

• Janice742
    11 years ago

I totally get the "feet up" thing. We have a round, copper top table in our FR - and we put our feet up on it. Granted, a soft leather ottoman would be much more comfy, but our space is small and we didn't want too much "upholstery" in the room.

But I agree with everyone who said that it would be a shame to cover up such a beautiful rug. You can try to find something with leather/fabric that has legs (like in the photo below) Kind of a compromise.

I love those panels for your windows.

Here is a nice example of using a pop of color in a gray room:

• HomeNoobie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

geokid - I want to somehow put the cable box in the basement.. I need to get an IT person to come figure this out.. I really hate it being visible and have NO idea what to do with it! The Playstation3, I was thinking of putting in a storage ottoman and the hubby can take it out when he wants to play?

I went on some of your thoughts and came up with a few ideas:
    for the corner beside the window?

ottoman idea for beside fireplace
    {{!gwi}}

I kind of have a crush on this chair for the other window corner - and put a dash of turquoise on it as per popular advice?

"out there" coffee table idea?

Janice I loveee that ottoman - its beautiful!!! Geokid is that a compromise or are we saying NO upholstered ottoman?

• yayagal
    11 years ago

This painting would look super on your wall. It's from the site 55 Downing St.

Here is a link that might be useful: art

• HomeNoobie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

also I love this picture (yellow, purple and grey) - but not sure if this would work in my room

• Olychick
    11 years ago

That rug is gorgeous!! And it really brings your couches more into a manageable scale in the room. Love the draperies with it all, too.

I have a glass table and we just keep some thinner pillows on the couch to use under our feet (shoe free house). I hide those away when we have guests, unless we all want to put our feet up!

Love that yellow chair.

• geokid
    11 years ago

If you want an upholstered ottoman, you should go for it! I'm guessing you don't want to clutter up the room with tables and ottomans and more tables. But, since you asked, I do like being able to see more of the rug, so I like Janice's example.

That chair is very cute. Maybe someone else that knows more about this can chime in about the turned legs vs the more modern style in the rest of the room. It's probably not an issue, but I don't know.

• HomeNoobie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

yayagirl - nice painting. I like it

olychick - we are also a no shoes household.. I want to stay away from a glass top because I will hesitate to put my feet up.

geokid - I agree - I don't want to cover up the rug either! I think for this room I will need something in the middle (coffee table/ottoman), one side table, one table in between the couches, and maybe two cube or smaller ottomans for under the windows (possibly storage ottomans or benches? What about this sort of idea?

[Modern Benches design[(https://www.houzz.com/products/modern-benches-prbr1-br~t_531~s_2105) by Other Metro Overstock

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

I like that rug in your room! Really changes up the whole look. Not to sound cliche, but those flowers add a breath of fresh air to the space! :)

This post was edited by cat_mom on Fri, Mar 8, 13 at 11:30

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

Love the rug! It really works well in your room and gives it a fresh, vibrant look. The curtains you posted look great too. I think they'll work very well.

I have a glass coffee table and we put our feet up on it all the time (usually bare or in socks). I agree that something (ottoman or coffee table) that's more open so you can still see the rug would be nice.

CB2:

Room & Board:
    Looks like you already have an accent of yellow going on.

• mpmg46
    11 years ago

Gorgeous rug! The room looks so inviting and cheerful with the pops of yellow now. Great choice!

• debo_2006
    11 years ago

Nice rug with your decor. Where is the yellow chair from?

• jenniferPA
    11 years ago

I was out shopping yesterday and picked up a turquoise ceramic planter from "Arhaus" that would look great on your table in the corner! Not sure if you have one near you, but they had them on display with simple green plants and some moss around the top, looked so great and easy to do. Was also in Crate and Barrel and they had a lot of turquoise, pillows, accessories etc.

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

I have to admit that I wasn't crazy about it in your earlier thread, but in your room it is just perfect and I love it!

Guess I need to be more open minded.

• allison0704
    11 years ago

What a fun space, and all because of the rug! Look forward to seeing what else you put in the room.

• gyr_falcon
    11 years ago

Hope you love your new rug as much as everyone else here! I think looks great; it gives your room a very nice feel. I'm a function over looks type, and think the modern benches idea you posted is a nice way to go, as the rectangle would be better than a square IMO.

My lamp is similar in style to the one you posted. They had them at CostCo for the amazing price of $115 at the end of last year, so I bought three for various rooms in the house. At some point I will change out the white shade. If you place yours by the window, be aware that the shade could obstruct your view of the outside more than you would like.

Here is a link that might be useful: NOVA Plimptom Arc Lamp

• teacats
    11 years ago

Gorgeous room -- LOVE the new rug!

A vote for the white leather-topped ottoman -- so comfy! :) And then bright yellow trays for the summer months -- and old silverplate tray for the cooler months ....

• HomeNoobie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I love you guys!! So much love over here! I'm at work now but can't wait to Go home and respond to all of these awesome posts and ideas!!
    Someone asked where the yellow chair was from- I'm in Canada- so it's from a store called urban barn!

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

LOVE that rug and I like that drapery pattern with it. Awesome choices.

• deeinohio
    11 years ago

I didn't comment on the rug in your other thread because I wasn't sure I liked it, but I have to say you made a great choice. The rug looks fabulous in your room!

I have two smaller glass coffee tables in my main living room, and really like how little visual space they take up. I formerly had a 36 inch round wood and glass table. DH does sometimes put his stockinged feet on the table.

In the den, I have two smaller leather ottomans, and they work well. I have two club chairs and a chesterfield sofa in there, and an ottoman can be pulled up to a chair and the sofa when DH and I are both in there. You might consider that since you have two sofas.

But, I would want to maximize the "wow" factor your rug offers and use one like geokid showed.

Dee

• User
    11 years ago

I think yellow is your accent color with the gray and white. Turquoise would just dilute the graphic impact of your current 3 color scheme. The rug looks great with your sofas, and I like the idea of something lighter and higher in a cocktail table. Lucite would be ideal--- you'd put your feet on that, wouldnt you? Love the mirrored tables from West elm as end tables,

• localeater
    11 years ago

I think your rug is gorgeous. And, I need to buy a rug and was going to go classic but think I have just been swayed.
    Love the curtains you posted. Love the 1st coffee table that geokid posted, but if you want the ottoman, get the ottoman. While the rug is gorgeous it is still a rug and your room needs to be functional and comfortable. I vote no "pop" of turquoise. I think gray, yellow and white are enough. The room someone posted with the 'pop' of green has all plain elements, it has a boring rug. Your rug is the pop in my opinion. I think you should also get that lovely yellow chair.

• HomeNoobie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thank you all for all of the feedback and comments! It really helps a lot hearing all of your wonderful thoughts and ideas! I wouldn't have gone with that rug to begin with had it not been for your support. I am checking out all of your ideas as I type this and will update you as I make these purchases! It seems like everyone is in consensus about the drapes- so those may be next! I also really love that yellow chair.. so maybe that too (my bank account begs to differ). Thank you again and keep the comments coming!!

• geokid
    11 years ago

Yep, the tufted bench/coffee table you posted is great. Good compromise on showing the rug but also getting comfort. I like teacats idea of switching out the tray on the ottoman depending on the season. I do that currently in my home. I'm hoping spring will come early this year, so I've skipped over my late winter indigo phase and have gone right to spring green.

I think turquoise is a safe choice for an accent color. I also think you can definitely make purple work in your room. Or the right shade of green. You just want to be careful that you don't go into NFL colors (Vikings or Packers). :)

• HomeNoobie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I like it too - except the description says its a brown fabric top? I can't tell if it will match and I can't visualize it in the room - also I've been on the search for something similar (upholstered top, open bottom), but am not coming across much. I think this is going to be the hardest part of this room :(

• busybee3
    11 years ago

love the new rug!!! it looks great!

it still seems that the couch isn't centered on the fireplace, and the end of the rug extending on the close side would bother me i think...... i would pull the sofa so it is centered and pull up the loveseat up abit too so it ia a similar distance from the couch... put a console table behind the loveseat if you don't want the space empty.

i love the panels and the colors... don't feel the particular need for an energizing 'color pop' - it's very soothing as is...

• HomeNoobie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Busybee- the couches are both the same size and the one facing the fireplace is centered, I promise.

I just bought one of the panels today to see how it would work. I'll post them in a bit!

• lizzie_grow
    11 years ago

That is a beautiful rug & I love it with your sofas & window treatments. What about a round table/ottoman? Or a square one to be accessible to both sofas? I see an upholstered ottoman to soften up the leather, but that will interfere with the rug showing thru like it would with glass. I like that Ikat West Elm ottoman...I think they're quite low, but I personally like that look & would use one in my space, but I don't have enough room.

I've been going back & forth with coffee table/ottoman decision myself & just ordered a coffee table that is MCM with sort of kidney bean shape in a charcoal grey stain. It is called the Tibro from Dania. It's made in Oregon out of ash wood & if you google it, there are other stores that carry it too. You have 14 days to return it, so if it doesn't work, I will probably go the ottoman route.