Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clueless_gw

Living Room furniture arrangement (pics, plan)

clueless
12 years ago

I have posted about this room before, and received many helpful responses, about which I am very appreciative. http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg0223000121501.htm

I am decorating this room from scratch. I will paint the walls and probably the paneling, too. I plan to buy an area rug, curtains, seating, and tables.

My problem is that no matter how many times I try various furniture arrangements, I cannot come up with a plan that looks ideal. Geokid and Suero came up with some good ideas. The reason I am posting this is that I have managed to come up with a floor plan and furniture dimensions.

I need seating for 6 adults, because my family consists of 2 parents and 4 older teens. The largest 3-seat sofa that will fit through our 30" wide front door has a depth of 38" and can be 73" - 80" long. It is likely we will put a recliner in there, too, necessary for my husband, which will be about 39" x 41" deep. I figure that a loveseat will also be needed to bring the seating up to 6 spots.

Smaller sofas and a powerlift recliner are in my photobucket account, with dimensions listed. The recliner is an example. I like all the sofas and selecting one or two of them is a matter of price only. I plan to buy either Hancock and Moore or Bradington-Young leather seating. It doesn't have to all be leather, of course.

This is the floor plan of my living room:

{{!gwi}}

This is the fireplace. The sconces have to stay. The wires coming out below them are laying on the mantel. They plug into an extension cord. They belong to the landlord and he does not want them removed.

{{!gwi}}

More pictures are here, to show you the walls and the various entrances. Also, photos of the sofas and an example of a recliner are here, with dimensions.

http://s1148.photobucket.com/albums/o576/Aileen825/Living%20Room/

If any of you have ideas about how I can fit 6 seats into this room, please tell me how you would arrange the furniture. I know that a sofa, loveseat, and large upholstered chair will fit in it, because that is either in there now, or has been.

Perhaps it would look better if it had 2 small sofas (76" x 37") and a recliner, instead. I wouldn't mind if they were all leather.

I am going to worry about tables and color scheme later. I would like each seating spot to be near a table so if someone has a drink, they have a place to put it.

Thank you for your help! I am pretty desperate. I know if I am left to my own devices, I can buy nice looking furniture and still manage to make the room look awful.

Comments (10)

• clueless
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Furniture arrangement:
    {{!gwi}}

Couches are Bradington Young Astoria, H36", W73", D38":
    {{!gwi}}

The rectangles with little dots in them are ottomans.

The upper left corner has a small armoire or chest.

All tables are glass bordered by metal rims.

Chair is a place holder -- no chair has been selected.

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

I am in no way a decorating or layout expert. The main issue I see with your space is that it has multiple traffic paths (in the front door, up the stairs, into the dining room) that cross the room. Personally, I would avoid placing any furniture that blocks these paths.

With that in mind, my first thought would be to put a small sectional (maybe around 90"x90") in the bottom right corner against the stair wall and the dining room wall. This should give you 4-5 seats without blocking any paths through the room. I would then probably put two chairs in the upper left corner of the room or pulled forward to make a conversation space. You could put a side table (maybe round?) in the corner for the chairs and a slim coffee table in front of the sectional. I would try to avoid bringing any furniture too close in front of the dining room doorway.

Possible sectional ideas (though not all dimensions appear to be posted online).

• vanillafields
    12 years ago

Not an expert here as well, but maybe having a aquare coffee table that consists of 4 smaller square tables put together would be more efficient? Then you can separate them to provide everyone with a drink or snack place, without having all those extra side tables around. Then, put together, they can serve as a good place for a family game night eg.
    Also, how about a long thin separating a sofa from the wall (it's easy to put one together and it can be as long as the sofa and no wider than 10" (just enough to rest a glass and a few knicknacks, just need 3 boards screwed together with brackets and some paint or stain).
    As for the placement of furniture, I'll leave it to the experts :).

• aloha2009
    12 years ago

Considering all the traffic paths through the yard, so IMO space is a premium.

I prefer to look at someone's plans w/o being influenced by what others say. I came up with pricklypearcactus's ideas too. I think that is exactly what I'd do too. With 6 adults mulling around the room, it would be nice to have some room in the center that remains open.

I like Vanilla's idea of a 4 piece coffee table. You can get the kind that doubles as seating or the top flips out for a table to rest drinks on.

• clueless
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Pricklypearcactus, I made a floor plan yesterday using the top picture you posted of the BY sofa, then realized it won't fit through my front door. I'll check out the H & M Campaign sectional. The sofa is actually on my list as a possibility (because it may fit through the door); I don't know how I missed the sectional. The Crate & Barrel sofa doesn't meet my needs, but it sure is an attractive piece! Thank you for posting those pictures, and somehow making them into links for me.

Vanillafields, I have never heard of a coffee table like that. I will sure look into it -- I think that's a great idea. If a sofa (or sectional side) is against a wall, I definitely will put a table behind it to save on end table space.

Aloha2009, you are right that the traffic paths are the biggest problem with this room. I am going to wait for the April Market to see if B-Y or H&M come up with a new small sectional before I buy anything.

Thank you all very much for your help. I sure do appreciate it.

Clueless

• geokid
    12 years ago

Hi Clueless!

Couple of quick questions
    -Do you have a TV in the room and where do you plan on placing it?
    -Is the table behind the sofa a desk for the computer?
    -I remember from your previous post that you were trying to make the room serve multiple functions: entryway, extra storage because of lack of closets (the armoire in the upper left corner), computer spot, and family hang out. Is this still the case?

I did a quick cut and paste in MS Paint of your layout. What about something like this?

Sectional in corner with a small ledge behind one length. Then a bit larger coffee table. Or maybe four small tables put together like has been suggested. I found this picture, maybe you could do a coffee table like this one? Round will make an easier flow pattern and there is extra seating under it to pull out when needed.

{{!gwi}}

I put two chairs where you had one sofa. I can't do 45 degree angles in Paint, but imagine them angled towards each other with a small round table between.

• geokid
    12 years ago

Here's a pic with a round coffee table.

Forgot to mention that you can get sectionals that come in small pieces, individual chairs and corners and ends, that can be arranged any way you'd like and can easily fit through your doorway. Check places like Crate and Barrel, Room and Board, etc.

• clueless
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Geokid, it looks great!

The TV is something I haven't figured out what to do with, so I'm ignoring it. We watch it maybe once every 3 months, no kidding, so I'm not worried about it yet. I may put the tv on a wheeled cart so we can put it in the room when someone wants to watch it.

The desk that used to be in my plans will now go somewhere else, too. It won't fit in the living room and still have the room look nice.

The thing behind the sofa is a sofa table. I've never owned one. It is there only so I can put a lamp on it, instead of needing another end table. Everyone in my family reads a lot, so we need plenty of light.

I think in the other thread it was you who suggested the runner, the armoire, and a bench in that area to the left of the front door. I simply replaced the bench with an upholstered ottoman so it could be used more than one way.

I plan to buy Hancock and Moore or Bradington-Young sofas. If I buy fabric-covered chairs, they will be either Taylor-King or Jessica Charles.

I think one of the chairs will be a power lift recliner by Hancock and Moore because my husband really needs one of these. We are going to a furniture store to check out recliners this weekend, to find out how long the back has to be from seat to top, since he is tall, and to make sure that a recliner would be best for his needs. It literally takes him 5 minutes to get up from our sofa, after having 4 strokes last year -- his gross motor skills aren't the greatest.

Recliners take up a lot of room; I am cognizant of that. I don't know if one that will fit him (and that he'll like) will be so big that I'll have to figure on getting a sectional to seat 5, plus a recliner, and no other chairs.

I am limited by the small size of the space and the max 30" front doorway (that is if I take the storm and front doors off).

I have a 38" wide sofa in there now, and it was a bear to move in, so I will probably buy a 37" wide sofa. For lighting I plan to use table and floor lamps.

Thank you for your help. I appreciate it so much!

• geokid
    12 years ago

I hope your trip to the furniture store was productive!

I tweaked my floor plan suggestion using the dimensions of two of the couches you said you liked as well as the recliner for your husband.

Another option is to use one 3-seater sofa and one 2-seater and then you would have more room for two chairs. It's nice to have at least one sofa for relaxing and it provides an extra spot for a guest.

You could also use a low, long bookcase instead of the sofa table to provide a separation from the entry and living area. You can use it as entry storage, book storage, or whatever. Below is a picture.

{{!gwi}}

• clueless
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Geokid, I like the 2 sofa option you posted.

I looked at sideboards on Craigslist and found some that are the correct length for a sofa, as well as being the height of a potential sofa (or an inch or so shorter). They had plenty of drawer space, too, so I'm thinking of using something like that to increase my storage space. These were mid-century modern style, rather plain, on 4 legs, which I like.

Your idea about using a bookcase is a good one, and I have it on think.

Thank you very much for your helpful suggestions.