Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bakergirl_gw

Gray(ish) paints/open floor plan

Bakergirl
12 years ago

Hello,

I am new to these forums, and originally posted this in the Paint forum. Now that I have discovered this one, I think it really belongs here. Sorry for the cross-post.

We are about to start a remodel that involves knocking down a kitchen wall. So, the kitchen will be open to the dining room, which is already open to a small foyer, which also is open to the living room. Right now, we have lots of warmer, traditional colors (reds, golds, greens) and I'm looking to go in a completely different direction.

The kitchen will have white cabinets, a white built-in seating area, darker gray floors, and a grantite called portofino blue (darker gray with some blue swirls in it). We are getting darker gray couches for the living room. I will be reupholstering the dining room chairs after I choose paint colors, and ditto with throw pillows for the living room and window treatments.

I'm really struggling with paint color. I'm thinking a silvery gray for the kitchen, a darker gray for the dining room, with white from the chair rail down, and a lighter bluer gray (more blue than gray) for the living room. The kitchen is the brightest of the three rooms; I'm assuming the currently-dark dining room will be brigher with the wall down and some new lighting. This sounds like an awful lot of gray to me, but I'm not sure what else to do with an open plan (right now the rooms that are open to each other are all some shade of beige).

If anyone has specific suggestions for paint colors--bonus points for Sherwin Williams--, I would love to hear them. I have samples of Jubilee and Samovar Silver, which look identical to each other in my house. They are ok, and possible contenders for the dining room. Thanks in advance!

Comments (3)