Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charley526

Foyer update and a question

charley526
13 years ago

This is my foyer now. I know I need a pretty pot for my orchid...just haven't been out to buy one yet. And now I just need to find a small rug that can live so close to the larger one...

In this last pic I've draped the fabric I wanted to use over the table, but now I'm not so sure it looks right. Please advise me!

Comments (24)

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry, I meant to include a link to my previous post that has "before" pics. Thanks for looking!

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous post w/before pics

• tracey_b
    13 years ago

I love it!

I meant to ask in the other thread, where did you find the rug(s)? Especially this one? I, too, am looking for an area rug for my foyer. Does the "red"-looking color in the rug go well with your curtains (which appear "rust" to me)? Rust is what I need to match, and I'm having a hard time finding rugs I like with that color in them.

Thanks!

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Safavieh rug is from overstock. Best price I could find on the net. It's definitely NOT red. In person, my drapes are a little lighter than they photograph. The fabric was labeled "Terracotta" (if that means anything.) There are little "flowers" in the rug that are the exact color of my drapes, but the majority of the rust color that you notice in the rug is a tad deeper than my drapes. We are very happy with our choice.
    HTH!
    Charley

Here is a link that might be useful: overstock rug

• alex9179
    13 years ago

The fabric does blend, does it give you a "nice, but nothing special" feeling?

I like the wood but can understand why you would want to reduce the number of legs you see. What about one of the fun colors in the pillows? That blue/green color would look pretty and I can see you have used that color in the adjacent room.

Do you have a round table to use? That area has rectangle after rectangle and some curves would look nice.

I'm jealous! Your home is beautiful.

• Carol_from_ny
    13 years ago

I don't like the covering on the table. I think it looked much cleaner and professional without it.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    13 years ago

In my opinion, the table looks much better uncovered. You have completed a gorgeous entryway.

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you alex9179! The color of the fabric is bugging me. I feel like I could do better...but I can't seem to picture in my mind what color it should be. I don't have any of the couch color fabric around to test out. It's a dusty green, like my fresh eucalyptus.
    I know what you mean about the rectangles. I don't have a round table to use. I may be able to talk my husband in to cutting out a round or oval tabletop for me.
    I appreciate any suggestions I get!

• forhgtv
    13 years ago

I don't like the table covered. Was there a matching runner for the rug you bought? If not, I would look for a solid rug in terracotta or one of the other dark colors in your existing rug.

You've really put together a welcoming area. Will you use it?

• marthaelena
    13 years ago

The table looks a lot better withouth the tablecloth.

You could place "something" under the table to distract from too many legs and to conceal the wires behind. For example a nice basket that fit the space between the 4 legs. The height of the basket will depend on what you put inside and if you want it to be visible. It is a great place for books or magazines. The basket can have a lid - or you can use a small trunk.
    Pottery Barn uses this trick often.

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

marthaelena, what a coincidence that you mention this! I've just been searching this moment for a basket for this area at PB and Ballard's.
    forhgtv: Thanks. We do use it; started this weekend! Since I put the rug there, my kids love to play on it. It is very soft. I like to sit here often & work on my laptop away from the tv area. As for the doorway rug, since I was advised not to do a matching rug, I did find few solid rugs that could work. If I end up with one, I'll post a pic.

Still contemplating a tablecloth...

• User
    13 years ago

I really like the new rug. It looks like it was meant to be there with your other furnishings!

The tablecloth is ok to me. I like the look of the table w/out and I really like the idea of a basket underneath.

• cooperbailey
    13 years ago

Beautiful foyer! The rug and pillows and orchid of course are perfect. I like the table without a fabric covering.
    However- the table cloth and that table or a round fake table can give you changes very easily. It all looks good!

• tracey_b
    13 years ago

Thanks, Charley! The rug looks better in your pic than on overstock (looks too light in their pic for me).

Oh, I like your table sans the cloth, too.

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You're welcome tracey b. I agree that the rug looks better in person. The colors are richer.

• enailes
    13 years ago

Your foyer is very pretty. I agree, I like the current table best uncovered. Have you tried the rug directly in front of the door rather than under the furniture?
    I think a small round table would look great between the
    chairs as well. Also, I would try using just one chair and the table to see how it looks, ditto on the basket or pretty piece of pottery under the table.

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Do you mean a basket like this one? This size is just right...

• stilldecorating
    13 years ago

Beautiful transformation! You did a great job! Oh, and I like the table uncovered.

• karoloke
    13 years ago

Looks beautiful. Love the pillows as well. I like the table uncovered better, too, and agree that a basket would look cute.

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone! I am leaving it uncovered. I think a basket will bring in the texture I'm looking for.

enailes: I thought of putting the rug in front of the door, but decided against it because I wanted to highlight the sitting area, not the front door. Would have loved a rug to fill the entire space, but it would have to be custom bound. That's just not in the budget right now.

• hoosiergirl
    13 years ago

It looks beautiful! I'd leave the table uncovered as well, and the basket should work well there. I think I would put some type of natural rug/runner in front of the door to not call attention to it and let your sitting area be the star!

• User
    13 years ago

charley - Home Decorators has free shipping on all rugs right now. You could try the seagrass rug (from the other thread) without having to pay shipping to see if your door would clear it.

The rug is linked below again.

Here is a link that might be useful: HD seagrass rug

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks jillinnj. I'm going to look around some more. I guess I'm a little put-off by the roughness factor.

• loribee
    13 years ago

Gee I thought I posted here...
    GORGEOUS, no tablecloth.

• franksmom_2010
    13 years ago

I have to tell you, I'm not a fan of almost any shade of orange, but that whole area is just gorgeous! The wood tones with your wall color and drapes is just stunning. The funky pillows kind of break up the formality of it, and that rug is just perfect! I have no opinion about the rest, I think it looks great as-is!