Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dlm2000

Interesting house - Stanley Tigerman

DLM2000-GW
10 years ago

What do you think? It has all the elements that I dislike, but put together in a way that I can appreciate, although I still don't like them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stanley Tigerman house

Comments (24)

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Love the pool and the yard and trees. As for the rest, if one's dream is to live in an office-building-like setting, it's perfect.

I find it cold, austere, severe, ugly. I didn't see one thing in that house I found at all appealing.

But that is why taste is so subjective!

• Boopadaboo
    10 years ago

I love the kitchen and the master bedroom. Especially the windows. I also like the couch seating in the kitchen an the sofa nook in the bedroom. I could totally live there. Of course the pool and yard are lovely too.

I really like the big trees in the foyer. It is interesting how much carpet there is. I am not so sure i love all the grey.

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

For post-Modernism, its pretty successful.

• thankurnmo
    10 years ago

Interesting, well done, attractive, out of my price range and I would not like to live there at all. (lucky for me I couldn't afford it either) but I am sure for the right person/family it will be a dream come true.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Too cold for my tastes and there's something odd about the layout...I'm not that into swimming pools that I want it the focus of a view. The 2 tables in the dining room make the whole house feel as if it's a place of separation rather than togetherness. And I'm sorry but laying out boxes of shoes with the lids placed just so on a dresser is OTT staging. I found the mbr with the curved windows and the tree tops to be the most attractive of the rooms.

• DLM2000-GW
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annie I could not for the life of me figure out what that was until you said shoe boxes and I zoomed in on it!!

Because I know the area, the worst part is no lake view. for that kind of money I want lake frontage.

• allison0704
    10 years ago

What's with the shoes? And I've never understood why beds are placed in front of windows - unless the room is so small, has several doors and there is no other logical place for the bed.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

They look to small to be shoeboxes to me. Can't figure out what they are. I assume some kind of hospitality thing for guests, but why so many?

This is why lawyers charge $1000/hr. and more. Yuck.

• bpath
    10 years ago

Allison, our bed is in front of the window because it's really the best option (otherwise were looking in the bathroom) and I absolutely love it. It's like sleeping in a treehouse. Our headboard isn't solid which I think helps it look like it belongs.

Dim, isn't this house near Ferris Bueller's friend's house? And, remember the woman in HP about 18 years ago who had trees cut down so she could have a view of the lake...only they were her neighbors' trees?!

• sundownr
    10 years ago

Haha, at first glance the shoe box lids looked like remote controls. I wondered what the heck were they for, why are they displayed like that and why so many. :)

• crl_
    10 years ago

Perplexed as to why the house is the reason lawyers charge a $1000 and more an hour? I thought they charged what people will pay, same as other professionals.

This house is really not my style and I'm having a hard time appreciating it from afar even. I do admire the skill of the workmen who did those ceilings. They look to be painted gloss and perfectly done.

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

That's not a particularly expensive house for where it is. You would pay more to be on the water. Where I live, down the block there are new construction houses in this price range that give you a view of the ugly back end of other houses.

You can't really make assumptions about price and apply it on a national level, that's meaningless. It has to be within the context of the local market.

For example, the first Ninety listings, in my locale--excluding shore houses-- are more expensive than this house.

I think the shoes might be an art piece, they look awfully small if you consider they are in the close foreground of the shot.

This post was edited by ineffablespace on Sat, Mar 8, 14 at 11:03

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Wait a secâ¦AnnieDeighNaugh is right, they are shoeboxes! Now I see the heels of the shoes hanging out the backs of the boxes.

Odd.

• DLM2000-GW
    Original Author
    10 years ago

inneffable I'm making no price assumptions on a national level - I live 5 blocks from there and know the pricing of lake front houses. I'd take one of the smaller 60's ranches on the lake in a heartbeat - they need work and are modest but the view is what makes them worth it. Of course there are lots of houses well above that price, too. Well above!!!

bpathome you're right - it's only a couple of blocks from the Ferris Beuller house. But that tree cutting incident was only a couple of years ago. As far as I know they have not replanted but that access to the lake and boat launch has been off limits while they update the water pumping station so maybe they have. She was fined, but no where near enough.

Here is a link that might be useful: Topping trees for a view.

This post was edited by dlm2000 on Sat, Mar 8, 14 at 15:20

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

Well done, but not my style at all, so I wouldn't be interested in buying that house at any price.

As to the tree topping, I would love to cut my neighbor's trees, especially the one that fills up my gutter with leaves. I have to pay someone to clean it out...p***es me off big time.

• gyr_falcon
    10 years ago

I am not a shoe person, so I had to go back and find that photo during thread-read. There it is. What I was thinking while viewing that shot was nice view, and "Why do people put beds in front of windows?" This time my focus moved to the shoe boxes, and my brain flashed how the lids looked like giant remote controls. As I continued reading the thread, I had to laugh when reaching sundownr's post. Is this a sign that I am spending too much time in these forums?

• blfenton
    10 years ago

Way too grey and grand for me. And those 111 windows. I'd be combining a bunch of them to get rid of the distracting and interfering frames of them all.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Not at all my taste. It is very cold and impersonal. I love the trees, other than that nothing appeals to me.

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

dlm, I wasn't referring to anything you said.

Also, what's gray is mostly the carpet and textiles. I think this house would look a lot different with wood floors. I am not a huge fan of it myself, but I think this is maybe one of those cases where the interior design choices (still pretty purely 80s) are overshadowing some of the more positive aspects of the house.

This post was edited by ineffablespace on Sat, Mar 8, 14 at 14:24

• DLM2000-GW
    Original Author
    10 years ago

sorry ineffable - bad assumption on my part ;-)

I keep trying to picture the house with life in it - kids or teens running around, snacks being made, prom pictures on the stairs...... Still would never be my taste but I can see it being a house that works for the most part. That glass table in the kitchen would have to go, though. Of all the things to focus on!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I think the kitchen is fine, and I like the views and windows, especially bedrooms. The entry and dining room remind me of a conference center. And what's with that padded edge on the bar table? If you're passing out that you don't hurt yourself?

• awm03
    10 years ago

At first glance I thought, wow, that is sooo 1980s. Then I read the description, and, yep, it's 1985. That kitchen cabinet style with the glossy polyester finish, curves, and hidden hardware was all the rage for high end kitchens back then.

• detroit_burb
    10 years ago

deco moderne.

currently not in fashion. but these things change.

• bpath
    10 years ago

I didn't know about that tree-topping incident! Didn't that lady read this article from 1993? Or maybe that's where she got the idea...

Here is a link that might be useful: Trees removed in 1993

This post was edited by bpathome on Sat, Mar 8, 14 at 22:57

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022