Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
decor64

Updating the gold/red color scheme

decor64
13 years ago

I've always gotten such great advice from you all in the past that I thought I'd ask about my current decorating dilemna. About 5-6 years ago I decorated my home using the popular colors at the time - golds, green, reds, carmel, and a little black and cream. What I'm wondering is how I could update the color scheme a bit while keeping SW Restrained Gold as my main hallway/foyer color. Do any of the popular blues or plums go with it? I have some rugs in my hallways that have a red background with golds, brown, and a muted gray-green - basically multi-colored. Would it work to pull out a bit of this gray-green, it would be a color something like BM Paris Rain.

Anyhow, I'm trying to incorporate some newer colors without completely redoing everything.

Comments (6)

• Sueb20
    13 years ago

Well, I wasn't aware that these colors are outdated, since I have them in my house too. They're just the colors that I like; I didn't use them because of any trend. But anyway, I have SW Blonde in my LR (I think it's a lighter version of Restrained Gold?) and I have Cheyenne Green (on the same strip as Paris Rain) in my kitchen/family room, and both rooms are visible from each other. So yes, I think a muted gray-green works with the other colors you mention.

I think a plum would look really cool with the gold, but it sounds like that would be harder to incorporate without changing your rugs? Not sure, just a thought, without seeing your actual space.

• msrose
    13 years ago

I understand what you're saying. It's not necessarily that your current colors are outdated. Your just inspired by the lighter airier (is that a word?) colors that we're seeing right now. Can you post some pictures of house? To me, it depends on how open the rooms are to each other.

• tracey_b
    13 years ago

When we were building last year, there was a model home near our temp. apt. that I loved. It used SW Blonde as the over-all color (2-story foyer, halls, kitchen, b'fast sitting area). The formal LR and DR were darker on the same strip (RG or MG). The other color they pulled in was a lovely blue--it was on the ceiling in the DR. It was the wall color in the family room (w/ either Blonde or Ivoire on ceiling) and in the master bedroom. Blue was incorporated in the window treatments. If I recall correctly, some chairs (DR, kit.) had a paisley print with blues swirled in. Lovely home. I'm not a blue person, and it had me wanting to use it. I did mimic a lot of that house in ours (SW Blonde as main color, kit. cabs, etc.). Truly, the golden tan looked great with the lighter dusty blue (it was a SW color, and I might be able to find where I wrote it down), and it gave it a fresh look.

I went back recently and snapped a few pics with my iPhone. I was mostly looking at window treatments this trip.

My house has sage green in place of the blue. We also have eggplant and spice colors.

• ttodd
    13 years ago

I think that Lorib (I forget how to spell the member sign on at the moment) has a lovely house w/ these colors incorporated. Maybe if she sees this thread she will post some pics. Although her home is decorated in many of the colors that you described it is so light, airy and fresh feeling.

At first I thought blue and colors like RG may be jarring but I cleary had my head in the wrong place until Tracey B posted. I bet those dusty blues would look fabulous w/ the golds!

• bama12
    13 years ago

tracyb.....I would love to see those pics if you can come across them. I am currently getting hardwoods done, and have to pick some paint colors also really soon. My m. bdrm. is a porcelein blue now. We are adding a coffered ceiling, and I am trying to decide is I want it done in ivorie, or blonde. (All white trim) I am thinking of doing a softer blue on the walls this time. I even thought of using blonde on walls, and a soft blue in coffered ceiling. (Any of those colors go well with linens I have)..Any opinions?? DH is putting pressure on me about paint colors...need to decide!

• decor64
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, clumsy choice of words! Sorry. I guess I LOVE my Restrained Gold hallways and I don't want to change them. I actually like it all but the warm colors I chose are possibly too warm for my taste (just a tad "heavy" perhaps?) ...I'm seeing more cool-toned colors in the magazines and wondering if I could cool it off and make it a bit more airy. I don't find it particularly had to mix warm and cool colors what is harder IMO is mixing clarities.

I've been bending over looking at all the colors in my hall and dining room rugs (they are coordinating and the rooms are open to each other). The kitchen is off to the side and had curtains with gold, green, black and plum so if I brought in any plum I think this might be the best place. But then if the idea is to make it more airy, then plum might be a bad choice since plum is dark.

Well, I got to give this some thought. Thanks for your input!

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
Award-Winning Interior Designer in Loudoun County | 12x Best of Houzz