Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
positano_gw

Photoshop help for Restaurant Exterior

positano
10 years ago

Hello!
I'm hoping someone can help me with this huge decision. My husband(chef at the W Hotel now) and I are opening a restaurant outside of nyc in May. We need to paint this ugly exterior!

The restaurant is going to be american casual. Fun neighborhood place, upstairs event space, cool bar. Using edison bulbs, warm woods, charcoals on the inside.

We are drawn to a dark exterior. We are in Piermont, NY. A charming water town. We are also building and out door deck to the left of the building with a new structure for the kitchen. We had to pick a color already and went with the color match for Farrow and Ball Railings.
My designer wants to do Railings All over with black for the windows. I am worried it will look too dark all over. Maybe it needs off white on the trim, then black on windows?

Could anyone do a couple versions? One with lighter trim and one with darker?
I would appreciate it!!
I have to make a decision very soon!!

Thank You,
Paula

From Exterior

From Exterior

From Exterior

From Exterior

From Exterior

From Exterior

From Exterior

From Exterior

Comments (32)

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Is that a nice stained wood? If so, I would probably refurbish it and then pick a complimentary color for the top half and window trim, etc. (cream/taupe/goldy tan?). If the wood is nothing special, I do like the gray...that second FB pic with the gray on the bottom and windows and cream on the top half looks nice. I do think all gray and black trim will be too dark and maybe not very inviting for a casual restaurant.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Personally, I wouldn't paint over that gorgeous wood. Spiff up that wood so it has a beautiful shine to it; shine up the brass kick plates on the doors; change those lights and put some nice brass sconces on the sides of the windows and doors; put a brick facade on the top and side and paint the top windows, including grids, black.

• positano
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Unfortunately this is a very old picture and the wood was damaged in hurricane sandy. The cost to refinish would be too high.
    Paint is the only option right now.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

If you are unsure about these two options, why don't you ask your designer to photoshop the options for you? Or mock the colors up on a small section of the building so you can be secure in your decision?

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

What does the wood look like now? Can you paint it to look like wood? I love the look of it as it is in your picture - so quaint and charming. It's the kind of place I look for when eating out - so anti chain store restaurant.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

What a bummer.

Am I correct to assume that putting up a brick exterior on the stucco would be too costly as well?

Those old water towns were all mills. I'd try to go for that look (hence my seeing bricks up there).

I like the second pic, with the Railings, white trim, and black windows.

Found this pic of a restaurant in similar colors.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I think a barn red with black windows would look great as well, and perhaps keep with the town's history well.

• teacats
    10 years ago

How about this color for the whole exterior -- with high gloss white for the main front door and lettering for the main sign .... plus add a couple of planters in a fun color (like deep plum or purple) with bright seasonal flowers and greenery ....

Plus a folding "sandwich" sign -- painted in chalk paint -- for the specials ....

Here is a link that might be useful: BM Stone Harbor 2111-50

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

This may help you. It has the upper half in brick, but I think the point is to have a deep but contrasting color to add brightness to the whole facade. Note too the white trim around the windows upstairs. They also went with the brighter light fixtures for "jewelry" to accent it...and of course the gold in the name.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

I really like the one Annie posted. However, it maybe me but I find commercial buildings doors painted the same as lower facade not welcoming. To me if the door were to be painted the same lovely shade as the upper color it would say "come in".

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Stone would look pretty on top too.

• positano
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Unfortunately this is a very old picture and the wood was damaged in hurricane sandy. The cost to refinish would be too high.

• positano
    Original Author
    10 years ago

• yayagal
    10 years ago

I would use the stone harbor that teacats suggested on the entire building and use a black trim. Nothing classier than taupe and black.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

I would worry about making it too classy. You donâÂÂt want your business to read âÂÂspecial occasion Restaurant &Lounge for the elite onlyâÂÂ. You have to have everyday business to stay afloat as you know. There is a happy medium though that will last you through the initial âÂÂnew place hitâ and bring in a cross section of your bread and butter people. There is a psychology to this that many miss.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 13:34

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

I like the "Trunk" building. Know it is gray, but a green/gray in the same color depth would be welcome to me. We have so many old buildings around here, the colors are anything and everything. It would be interesting to know the psycholodgy of color for commercial.

• awm03
    10 years ago

There is a popular pub/burger/sandwich restaurant in my town that was painted entirely in an off black like Railings. It looks great. It's similar to the lower storey in AnnieD's picture. I'll try to take a picture of it later today.

I tried doing a photoshop of your building, but it didn't come out well because of my poor skills. But maybe it will help anyway. Don't let it scare you off, think along the lines of the great looking haberdashery picture you posted:

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I'd follow the Farrow and Ball pic with the gray on bottom, cream on top....after all, they are paint people so they should know what they are doing! Gray and white is also a classic combination..with maybe a colorful door?

Awm....good job...but I think the all gray is to blah. And the "Trunk" shop works because it is a very small shop with not much painted exterior and a huge display window...the eye is drawn to the colorful window display.

• awm03
    10 years ago

I don't think Railings would be as oppressively dark as my mock up. And there is a lot of textural detail on the building: painting all the same color as Railings would be quite striking. I'd be inclined to take the designer's suggestion.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

There is something not a 100% right about the entry but I think this "The Pos" looks inviting! Plus, it fits an American cuisine theme.

• positano
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for the help, this is such an overwhelming decision. The railings sample definitely looks lighter than the mock up awm03 did. Thank you so much!! It's a great job, but yes it looks a little depressing.

Any chance you could do a mock up of a taupe like stone harbor with black windows?

Or do you think the railings needs white trim? would that brighten it up?

I appreciate an more photoshop options you could do.

What about a color like farrow and ball down pipe. Like the farrow and ball store picture? That might not look so dark.

• awm03
    10 years ago

I'll try to do a mock up tomorrow. Hoping someone else can step in!

In the meantime, here are some pictures of dark, monochromatic structures:
    San Francisco

A different color scheme in Cold Spring, NY:

And here's the local pub with the off black paint. I'd forgotten it has exposed brick too. I like the off black a lot.

• suero
    10 years ago

Black, cream, red and blue

Black, cream, original red

Brown, original yellow and red

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Positano , you no like the Chicago brick red shade , light taupe and dark blue/charcoal combo I take it lol.

• shanghaimom
    10 years ago

Wow, what an great building! And what an exciting venture.

The Railings color instantly reminded me of a popular restaurant in my neighborhood. Funny, I always study the paint when I'm there--have always admired the combination of colors.

I am with your designer--railings all over with glossy black for the windows. But i would sass it up a little with a little lime green--the window dividers upstairs? Flower boxes?

In this restaurant, they carried the charcoaly-blue +lime green into the interior, too-even the bathrooms! It looks fabulous. Classy with a wink.

• suero
    10 years ago

With F&B Railings lower and F&B Blackened upper level

• lazydaisynot
    10 years ago

I can't help with photoshop, but I like your designer's vision.

What an exciting project and a great location! Good luck to you and your husband.

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Positano - how very exciting! Here are two options:

All dark with window treatments that pop (not sure how this option would fit in with adjacent buidings).

• positano
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Suero, thank you so much!
    Any way you could try Farrow and Ball Down Pipe on the bottom, or a color that looks like the pictures below? Lighter and more green? Maybe the deep charcoal is too much. And for the top how about a nice neutral taupe? With white for the trim and black windows? Maybe this will give it more of an inviting look a little coastal?

I love this restaurant tavern in LA. It's always been my inspiration. We are adding on a cute little outdoor deck to the left of the building and I will have slate planters with boxwoods, flowers and maybe someday and awning.

Some of these pictures are from google earth, so not the best.

From Exterior

From Exterior

From Exterior

From Exterior

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

P.S. If you could get new pictures taken from straight on it would be SO much easier to photoshop :)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I really like the look of the princess I posted above and would use that for inspiration, except whatever color is used above on the body, I would also add it to the front door.

Looking at pictures others have posted, I think the single solid color facade will make the place seem dark and fade into the background...

• Arapaho-Rd
    10 years ago

I haven't read thru all the comments but from this photo it's not totally obvious where the entry is on the building.

Is it the set of double doors to the left? Would it make sense to have those stand out - like a front door on a home?