Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwlolo

Light bulbs 101

gwlolo
11 years ago

My electrician wants me to buy light bulbs for all the lights so that I can get "the kind of light I want". A trip to home depot has me very confused. What is the best kind of bulb to buy for incandescent fixtures? There are soft white, reveal bulbs, I will live longer than you bulbs and screw on CFLs. I know I don't want CFLs as we already have LED cans in many places. Here s my shopping list

Candelebra bulbs for foyer lights and chandelier. The bulbs will be visible
Bulb for bathroom chandys
Wall sconces (you can see the bulb)
Bulbs for exterior sconces

Comments (6)

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

You may have to shop several places to find a full selection of bulbs. A lighting store is going to have the best selection, but you'll pay more. HD and Lowe's both have a decent selection, as do WalMart and Target.

1: Foyer lights and chandelier: Is there any crystal inwvolved? If so, a clear bulb will make it sparkle more than a frosted bulp. Plus clear bulbs are less intrusive when they're turned off. Do you need chandelier-base bulbs? Look for a flame-tip or (my favorite) auradescents, which have an embossed flame shape . The auras cast beautiful light patterns on the walls and ceiling. All clear bulbs cast stronger light-and-shadow patterns, which can be interesting or distracting, depending on what you want If you don't want the clear glass, look for a frosted flame-tip. I don't think you will have any choice as to whether it's soft-white, reveal, etc.

2: As above.

3. Is this general room lighting, or are you relying on it for putting on make-up and other tasks? Do you need a special shape? A frosted bulb will cast fewer shadows, so would probably be the best choice here. There are displays at the big-box stores that can help you choose the color you want -- again, that depends on what you will use the bulbs for.

4. There are special bulbs for outside fixtures that are tougher and will take temperature extremes. I don't think you have a choice of soft-white, etc.

• cloudy_christine
    11 years ago

Personally, I hate the Reveal bulbs. They have a cooler light and supposedly "truer" colors. I use soft white incandescent everywhere.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Don't do CFLs outside if you live in a cold climate...they won't light in the very cold.

Below is a kelvin chart....look for "k" on the packaging and it will tell you how warm the light will be from the bulb...

Also CFLs do not dim well so if you have dimmers, go with incandescents.

If you see the bulbs then you might want frosted to reduce the glare, but in chandys, you might want the clear if they are reflecting light from crystals.

Perhaps the link below will help...

Here is a link that might be useful: Light bulb buying guide

• gwlolo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks folks.
    Chibimini - I had not heard of auradescents before. How cool is that! Will definitely try that.

Annie - that color chart is very helpful.

• User
    11 years ago

I just use fluorescents everywhere----for energy conservation. The light is not perfect, but you do get used to it and it is better for the planet :-)

• randomdeight
    11 years ago

GWlolo,

Do you have a chandelier in your bathroom? If you do, you might want to choose cooler color temperature of the light bulbs (around 6000K = sunlight). This is the best temperature for applying the make up, for example, because it makes everything more visible. And as a result you will look great outside and even better in warmer white temperatures.

Please don't buy CFLs like kswl suggested. The quality of light from CFLs is terrible and you "don't have to get used to it" (here are 100 reasons to choose LEDs instead of CFLs

For all other applications that you described, may I recommend SEXY LEDS LED candelabra bulbs. They look PHENOMENAL in open fixtures. And they possess all the environmental and energy-efficient qualities of LEDs. Color temperature is 2700K which a most common (and ideal) temperature for indoor decorative lighting.