Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Exterior photoshop help please?

Posted by oceanna (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 11, 08 at 4:10

It looks like I'm going to have to repaint this summer. Here is a picture of my house and I would really appreciate any photoshop help you can give me. I've tried, but just haven't been able to make anything look good.

The house to my left is pale green. The house to my right is white with dark brown trim in a Tudor style. My house is off-white with stark white trim and doors, and very dark (almost black) green shutters. My roof is a sandy tan with brick tones to it. I like warm tones and dislike grey. Any help you could give me would be much appreciated - thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Exterior photoshop help please?

Oceanna, I'll try out some colors after dropping kiddos off later. So when you say warm, I assume you mean some nice golden tans and light browns? That's what I'll try first.

o

I've been working on some things, too, Oceanna. I know you like cottage, so kept that in mind. I would remove the shutters, though. Yes, I would do a trellis! Would like to try one of the rectangular styled ones too.

Are you able to paint the garage doors, and the gutters? Do people paint gutters? Seems they have.

You have a tough roof color to work with. I guess this is sort of a light, warm putty color, with a tad of green to it. Who knows what you see over there! but these colors are really pretty together to me : )

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

o

squirrel, that is sooo pretty! love the green on the window box...with the terracotta front door! You have quite the eye.

so you had a good reason for no shutters, I am sure! but what if they were the color of the window box and the trellis, too? that color is one of my favorites-- I call it Giverny Green, because it reminds me of the color the French use for their outdoor garden furniture and trellis, etc. It's so gorgeous with the creamy color! Love the plants you have growing up the trellis.

did you get my post about the magnolia tree on another thread? it should work for you-- it's good for the North!

o

Decorpas, yes, I just saw your Magnolia post! and so hope that's the one. It's a professionally landscaped townhome development where I see them around here, so the people who live there didn't actually plant them to know what they are.

I usually like shutters, even on picture windows. These, I have to say, just don't fit or fit the house style. She may really want to keep them but this was my first thought.

Tough roof color, but it looks really nice with the terra and French Giverny green : ) I adore that color too.

o

Ohh Squirrel, that's pretty! I was just playing with paint and didn't add any goodies yet until oceanna lets us know which direction. Please feel free to continue your magic. I'll show what I had so far.

I always gravitate towards sunny yellow first.
Windham Cream with Black door (I would change the railing to black too)

Windham with a red door

Cabot Trail (in reality this is more of a taupe)

Woodstock Tan with Brown Shutters

Tate Olive for fun (hope it's not too close to your neighbor)

o
did i double post? i hope not...

ditto the shutters-- I know the house isn't that style. and yet, Oceanna is...so it's a tough call! If she wants them, they'd be pretty in GG. I hadn't thought about the roof color until you pointed it out, but brilliant to work that terracotta color in. updates the roof, frankly!

a link to a magnolia (under a different name) that looks like mine and the soul-- whatever one that works in the north.

Here is a link that might be useful: magnolia for squirrel

o

The garage doors are throwing me on this house. I know you're trying to minimize the impact, but they look a little weird being the exact color as the walls. What about matching them to the trim instead? The driveway is a dead give away that the garage is front and center, so trying to make them disappear just isn't working. What about a stone veneer or something on the first floor of the house and around the garage doors (or just around the garage doors) to give it more of a carriage-house feel? That might help the shutters fit in better, too.

o

lol, Sarah. Maybe this is why some people just drive right into the den.

The doors do look nice a bit lighter. The white is too much though.

o

Here's a green. The garage doors are just a tad lighter for a bit more definition. Didn't paint the gutters this time. I keep thinking of the red sofa in your lr!

o

Last 2 pics are my favs thus far - good job squirrel! & Good luck oceanna

o

That's better, but I would still take either the garage doors one shade lighter or the house one shade darker.

o

this green looks great...Like the ideas re her garage doors...if she does go cottagey, the old iron additions to make it look like a carriage door might work. I still love the first one...but that's just 'cuz those colors make my heart sing. as usual, Squirrel's landscaping rocks. the Wyndam that Lindy did looks very pretty, too!

o

I really like the last two greens. Oceana, have you thought about doing something with the front door area? It looks lonely set back with no cover at all.

o

Sarah, I was looking at that thinking, it needs something...but what? I was imaging an archway of some kind...and then I stopped because I saw the big window up there. But maybe you can think of something that works! Maybe a trellis archway? It would be great if it something she can either do herself or have done by her son.

when she gets back on here, she's going to be amazed at how we've made all of these decisions without her (lol)! Blame it on these great ps-ers who inspire such creative thoughts.

o

Would it be wierd that her neighbor is green?

How can we get her neighbor to repaint? :)

o

What about an awning or a simple shed roof over the entryway but below the upstairs window? I don't the house would look right with an arch, since there are so many horizontal lines on the house.

o

true enough. I keep going cottage. even a straight pergola roof top between the two walls would be cute. and roses climbing? hee hee...I guess I'm trying to think of something not too hard to do, too! do you think a simple shed roof would be easy enough? yes, by all means, let her neighbor know they must paint a diff color:-) we've voted, after all...

o

Wow! This thread sure has grown in a few hours. Thank you all so much!! :D

Okay, I got some things wrong in my original post, sorry. I feel like an idiot. Isn't it funny how blind we get to the things we see every day? My next door house on my right is tan brown. Duh me. I could definitely get away with yellow as no close neighbor has used it.

I just looked out the window at the roof and it's kind of a medium sandy brown, not really terracotta or gold but it's a very warm color.

This shows the green color of the house next door a litte:

Lindybarts,

Thanks for the pictures! I know the paint job is a bear to mask off originally.

Mainly what I mean by warm colors is I hate grey. :-)

I've thought about turning the house tan/pale brown with black door and shutters, and white trim... thanks for showing me how it looks... and now I see that's my neighbor's house color on the right... I can't believe I didn't think of that! I do love yellow too. I'm going to have my son comment on the paint jobs you did.

Your idea to paint the railing black might look very good! It's so skinny... so unsubstantial. Maybe it won't matter if I stain the concrete there?

Squirrel,

Thanks for all the hard work you're doing! I always love those special touches you add.

I'm not sure about taking down the shutters... I think the house looks so plain, plain, plain. I'm more the "throw more glitter on it" type. Your idea of the trellis is cool, though I'm not sure how I would do it being a grandma on a tiny fixed income. I can't do what I used to be able to do, so I have to figure out things I actually can do and being way high up on ladders doing "boy jobs" isn't necessarily my thing -- lol.

I've thought a lot about staining the front walk and stairs... inspired by our Punamysike. Or tiling them or something if I can get a CL deal on materials. They are so boring, as is the skinny little metal railing there.

There is a trellis, though not the sort you pictured. It doesn't show in that pic. It's on the side of the garage, on your left as you approach the front door. The clemantis there gets glorious. I wish it stayed in bloom longer, but it does at least stay green except in the winter it's cut back. Here's a pic of it...

The taller tree/bush thing on the right corner of the house... I had it removed and I planted a pink hydrangea there.

I also put a metal grille arch thingy over the front door since the pic was taken. In the summer that front bed comes alive with big dahlias (red on the right and white on the left), daisies and a bush that flowers yellow. I also put a wreath between the garage doors which seems to help some. In the summer I have flower baskets hanging from the garage corners.

Thanks for showing me what a windowbox would look like under the living room window. It's too high to reach so all I can imagine doing would be putting fake flowers in there that were there all winter long... would that look funny? It would have to be a verrrry long windowbox,, that window is 72" wide.

Terracotta might be just the perfect color for my front door. I kept thinking "red" but you hit the mark for the current paint colors... terracotta would be much better than white.

Incidentally, there is no parking strip here. We have sidewalks that slope off to the street, if that makes sense. No place to plant a tree unless I made another planter area in the front lawn.

Decorpas,

Hahaha you pegged me! Yeah, I'm the more is more kind of girl. I drool over those Southern mansions. hehe. I am frustrated that there isn't room on the front porch for a topiary. I love topiaries! Maybe between the garage doors?

What's GG? I think of Gallery Glass and I do plan to somehow do that to the window over the door. That will really help with the curb appeal, I think/hope.

Sarah,

Yeah, my house looks like a garage with a house attached as an afterthought, doesn't it? Right now the doors are matched to the trim -- stark white -- but there's so little contrast between the wall color and the trim I'm not sure it matters. Interesting thought and I think you're right that they should contrast at least a little. You're right that I'm on a very tight budget and at my age I should stay off ladders as much as possible. I'm dreading getting on a ladder to paint the house this next summer... it will probably be the last time I do that.

Wonderful ideas, everyone! Got any more?

o
Green?

The green is pretty, but I don't see how I can go green with the house right next to me green.

o

What about a blue with a cream trim and red door? I love blue houses with siding like yours. I totally KWYM about the garage with a house attached. We have a 3-car garage with a house sitting on it. LOL. Ours is a side split level. At least you can see your door from the street. Our front door is hidden behind a big ole painted brick wall. Nothing says "welcome" quite like a brick wall. :0

Any chance you can get your DS to switch out your lights on the garage to something a bit bigger? Maybe some new house numbers in a fun font? Something to dress up the garage. What about some pretty (but inexpensive HD special) brick pavers along the driveway and some perennials to give you some color?

o

Oceanna, did you know there is a company that sells just the grids that fit onto any window? They advertise in the back of either BH&G or the country mag my electric co-op sends... can't remember which.

Anyway, I just played with some thoughts. ~Kind of embarrassed about the lousy job I did painting your house, but it is too late to be masking things off.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hope this link works.

o

Sarah, I had a neighbor at my last house that had a very pretty blue house with white trim. I really liked it. The mister was a master gardener too, so their house always looked so pretty. Are you thinking of something like this?

"Nothing says "welcome" quite like a brick wall" -- hahaha! I can imagine that giving you some challenges.

I hadn't thought about switching out the garage lights but I'll admit I don't much like the ones that are there now... they don't take normal bulbs. House numbers... hmmm... got any examples in mind?

Getting my son to do things... there is a rope light that goes under the peak above my garage. I just love it when it's lit up at night. However, it's fallen down so it lays in a straight line. Do you think I can get my son to fix it? HA! It embarrasses me every single night, as it's on an automatic timer. I keep threatening him to get up there myself. Thing is, I can go up a ladder to a roof and walk around on a roof just fine; I just can't get back down from the roof to the ladder. So if I go up there, I'll have to live up there till the fire department brings a cherry picker.

Yes, I could do bricks along the edge of the driveway -- is that what you mean? Quite a big job, with digging out the grass and all.

I do try to put in some annuals every summer. I always have pansies at the garage corner, and there is a mum bhere that blooms yellow in the fall. The picture above was taken when nothing was in bloom. The azelias under the windows bloom bright screaming pink and there are some purple Iris between them. The real show stopper is that clemantis when it blooms. Here's a closer view:

I think it's really hard to have good curb appeal in the winter, except if we decorate at Christmas. Everything is bare and bleak this time of year. But soon it will be spring and everything will begin to flower. Love that.

o

Yes -- that's the blue I had in mind, then a pale blue on the garage doors, with cream trim and a red door. Be careful on the garage door color not to go too sky blue, IYKWIM. Was thinking more of a pale cornflower blue there -- something light, stately, drawing room-esque.

For house numbers, take a look at www.westonletters.com. You can order in just about any font and size, and they're not too bad price wise. We just ordered their Neutra-esque "ribbon deep" in 8" numbers (I'm trying to take my side split in a more mid-century direction than you, though), but they have lots of different fonts. For your style, I like the Clarendon (any of them) or the Architectural fonts. Something serif, I think.

Yeah, I was thinking red brick pavers along the driveway and up to the steps to give it a little bit more "finish." But, then, I was thinking that sounds like something DS should be doing for is mum. :-)

Totally know what you mean about the ladder! I can go up just fine, but the coming back down part is not gonna happen. :-)

I forget other people have real winter where plants don't bloom. Being from Southern Arizona and living in So. Cal., seasons have little meaning except that I need to change the color of the wreath on the door. We did drive our kids to the mountains to show them snow before Christmas, though. DD was amazed that people live in houses with snow on the roofs. She wanted to know when we were getting our snow.

o

Paint Chips, I love all the yellows you did. Yellow is my favorite for this type of house. Love the blues though too for Sarschlos. Personally, I like the garage the same color as the body but both look nice. Also, I LOVE the house numbers with a metal sign like this one:

Darker Blue with lighter garage

A little lighter blues

P.S. I added some flagstone pavers but maybe not quite right? Plus, you have to convince DS to do this stuff...hmmm?

o

but the concrete staining that Oceanna mentioned on another thread is EASY to do by yourself and could add the same kind of decorative detail...You don't have to score it and frankly, when I did it, I didn't score it. I used florist's tape for grout lines and was very happy with it. FOr the effort and money, I don't think you can make a better investment. But kneeling to make grout lines might get old, in which case, she could just spray the whole walkway or driveway in two colors and that would be it!

your clematis is GORGEOUS. I planted a purple one to go up a trellis I just bought at big box (one you can stick in the ground, no work and very cheap!). It hardly grew last year and I hear it takes years for them to bloom...so thanks for the inspiration. Hope mine turns out as pretty as yours!

o

Hmmm. I like the blues, but I would go a bit lighter. Love the flagstone pavers, and the house numbers and bigger lights.

I'm not a huge yellow house fan, so that won't likely get my vote any time soon. :-) I liked the Cabot Trail taupe color (although, I would again probably go lighter).

Still like the garage doors lighter than the walls.

Here, here! DS needs a honey-do list and some "incentives."

o

LOL sarschols! I still like yellow tones so I was playing with something more gold. I'll go back and do a lighter blue next.

decorpas, I'm not sure if the concrete staining method you're talking about looks anything like this but I just clipped this photo off a "stain your driveway" website. Oops, forgot to paint the railing. Does everyone like the white or black railings?

Oceanna, are you feeling a tug towards any one color family yet? Or has no one quite "hit it" yet? LOL

o
Blue

Here's a lighter blue. It's hard to go lighter without getting too much gray or powder blue.

o

I really like that last lighter blue with the lighter garage doors. I see you've given Oceana a new driveway, lol. If only it were that simple!

I think the door color is a bit too bright for that blue. The shutters are looking really nice now.

Still like the flagstone pavers along the driveway (assuming Oceana's not going to repave the driveway anytime soon -- that sounds $$$). Just noticed there's another light fixture by the front door that needs to go with the new lanterns.

o

Can the concrete stain make things lighter? Her stairs are so dark. It would be nice to brighten them up a bit.

Lindy, I LOVE your three shades of blue! The garage doors are still 'there', but now screaming.

o

yes, that is the concrete stain look, with a pattern put into it (using either method of tape or grinding out the grout lines). to make it easier for her, she could just do an all over color, with no grout lines...but this pattern you put in is similar to one we used on an exterior patio. I'm not too sure it would lighten something, because I've never tried that.

I'm not a blue house person or a yellow house person so much, but they look good here and on the house that someone else just did (the san fran cutie!). My favorite here is still the one with the GG (givery green) flower boxes....and yes, Oceanna, if you don't want to care for the flowers, you could do a nice fake there, especially if the box is up high. I think there are new ones out that look pretty good, and the eye candy value could be worth it! Trailing ivy with some purple verbena or any other flowering purple something would be delicious! I am sure most will disagree, but I think it's alright in cases where the flowers won't be up close and it's practical this way. Just make sure you change them out for the winter:-)

o

Since Oceana doesn't want to go too grey (if the blue is too grey for you), what about a green with pale green garage doors? Would need a different color than the red for the door -- maybe black?

o

sarschlos...I was just working on a blue one with a black door. Something pretty with windows?? The new driveway is stained concrete that decorpas said was easy????.

I think she wanted to avoid the green due to her neighbor but maybe if it was a different shade it would be alright?

Oceanna...calling Oceanna! We have questions! LOL

Here was the blue one (I put the garage doors back to the house color) and a black door.

o

Oceanna, sorry, can't offer any help ... I'm color challenged! But you are in GOOD hands here. I just wanted to wish you good luck making your color choices. :)

o

Black door is much better. Still biased toward the lighter color on the garage doors. Totally forgot about the green neighbor. Nevermind. Besides, I'm in the blue camp. :-)

o

love the black door! yes the concrete staining really is easy. you get a garden sprayer from big box store and fill it up with the stuff and spray it on. some prep work, depending on brand you use. and some you have to brush in, others you don't. it looks like real stone.

o
Taupe

Okay, one last one and then I best find something to make for dinner! LOL

A lighter Taupe (trying to get the railings black but they keep smudging)

o

Those are all so beautiful!

Oceanna, do you like the garage windows? I keep looking at them and they throw me off because your other windows are rectangular. Then again, I like them because they say cottage. Is it just me?

BTW, I like the greens! And LOVE the clematis.

o

Wow, wow, wow! You all just blow me away with all your wonderful pictures and suggestions. I've saved all the pics and I'm keeping them all in mind.

Paint_Chips,

Our posts must have "crossed." Thanks so much for doing all that work! You came up with some great ideas. I never would have thought of making the garage a different color. I love the trellis thingies you did.

I definitely love the window grids and have been wanting some. Do you know of a good web site for them personally? Oh, the transom window above the door -- I will be doing that in stained glass with Gallery Glass.

I don't know if the stain can make the concrete lighter, but a pressure washer first can help I think. I'm likely to do the stairs first, and maybe do the driveway if that works out well.

Here, let's post what you did into the thread to make it easier for everyone to see:

Sarah,

Thanks for the web site -- those are some very cool house numbers. I 'll bet your new house numbers will look very nice -- please post a pic when you get them up. Haha! I was raised in So Cal, so I know what you mean about no seasons.

Decorpas,

Please start a thread and show us pics of the concrete work you did! Why did you use florist's tape instead of masking tape? Wasn't it expensive? I really want to read your tips and tricks and see your work.

I'm probably not going with green as I fear it would clash with my neighbor's green house, and I don't want to upset them. I love window boxes, but I'm wondering about the logistics. Around here 9 months of the year there are no flowers, and I'm getting a bit old for ladders.

Lindybarts,

Thank you so much for all the different iterations you have done of my house! Wow, big hugs to you! I love the planters at the outer corners of the garage and I can do that. The stained driveway is ooolala and just makes the house so pretty! You worked so hard -- thanks so much! You've given the house MUCH more presence and appeal than it has currently. I wish it were as easy in real life as just "photoshopping" it -- lol! It would already be done and wouldn't my neighbors be surprised.

Mari,

Thanks for your good wishes. Isn't this an incredible list? The folks here have such wonderful ideas I can't go wrong.

~~

I've worked up a couple of mockups myself based on the ones here and all your great ideas. I think considering the houses to my left and right the green and tan/brown colors are out, so it's either the yellow or the blue. I tried a few things out.

Cream with glue trim:

Cream with green trim:

Blue with white trim:

Blue with white trim and red door:

Okay Everybody... please, which is your favorite between ALL the ones on this thread (considering that the green and tan ones are probably out of the running due to the colors of my neighbors' homes)?

o
I was writing mine while you were writing yours...

Kitchenkelly,

Yeah, I do like the garage windows. They look kind of like two big smiley eyes to me. Should I paint a mouth beneath them? :)

I love the greens too, but my neighbor has a green house.

The clemantis was here when I bought the house and it brings me tremendous joy when it's in bloom. I suspect it looks prettier against the cream than it will against a dark color, but that's not a reason for a paint color choice.

o

I've made changes for my first color. Garage doors just very slightly lighter. Off-white trim. Guess the gutters can't be painted, so they're au naturale. Gutters are painted the house color. Chimney has been painted too. Since we're spending some more money here! -- Shutters stay, but are wider. I've also made them just a tad too long which, imo, looks better in this case. In Giverney Green and again with a beautiful Marine Blue, it might be called, in the second pic. And new lamps, hardware for the front door, and a fitting contemporary header trim piece above it.

The window box and trellises are down now, but there's still something in that spot to bring attention up to the door. Long-blooming roses would be nice if it's a good spot for them. Maybe a couple other clematis woven through as well, one to complement when the roses are in bloom and another to keep some color there when the roses are done their seasonal bloom.

Forgot that shrub was there when I painted the front. Looks like a great umbrella shape, similar to this. Trimmed up. Hopefully Lindy got the bloom color right, as I remembered her photo but not the color you mentioned. Just remembered reds and purples : )

I vote for this color, lol. Color and focus on a beautiful garden and its colors, and looks beautiful with the roof and shutter colors. : )

o

I like Lindy's blues of Mar 12, 12:17 and the last two blues oceanna did for herself on Mar 13, 5:09. Very rich!

If you take a pressure washer to the concrete oceanna it will brighten it like brand new ;) I use ours every spring to spruce up walkways and drive. If I stay right with it, it takes the better part of a day. If you rent one and the concrete has not been cleaned in awhile I'd suggest allowing yourself 2 days. My mother's front sidewalk gets dark every year by winter from 100 % shade and some sappy tree 'stuff', when I pressure wash it in spring it looks like freshly poured concrete! If you do your porch, be careful not to hit the siding/railing or your plants. Those things are lethal ;D I was cleaning the side drive where I have hostas planted next to the house and DH pulled in from work and I absentmindedly turned with the wand in my hand to greet him and blasted a few of my hostas. Ooowww! Looked like they had met up with a paper shredder!

o

Of the blues, I vote for the last, deepest one with all the white : )

o

love that last one, Squirrel!

Oceanna, thanks for asking me to post my concrete stain pics. Here's the deal-- We did those on our last two houses and I only took pics with my cell. when I got a new phone, I lost all of the pics (now they transfer them for you). However, I am going to do our garage this year, so I'll be sure to do it then!

o

Squirrel, that's quite pretty, thanks! It has a lot more life to it than the current scheme. Your vote is duly recorded and is a contender.

The shrub on the corner is gone, but I replaced it with a pink flowering hydrangea, and it will grow with time so you're definitely in the ballpark. Who is spending money? lol

The gutters can be painted, and in fact need it right now far more than the body does. So how would you change them?

Of the blues, I think I vote along with you. Would you do the red front door or the white one?

Moonshadow,

Thanks for your vote. The blues are high on my list too.

My son has a pressure washer and he's been known to come over and clean my concrete. :) Thanks for the warning... your poor hostas! There are a couple of cracks in the driveway. We live in earthquake country so it's almost inevitable here. My main problem is figuring how to keep the weeds out of the driveway. Darned things keep popping up.

Decorpas,

I hope I don't miss it when you post it. Now I'm wondering... for those of you in rainy country, if you stain your driveway does it still try to turn dark on you? And how come you used the florist tape instead of masking tape?

Which color scheme are you voting for? There are so many pretty ones from which to choose!

o

Gosh Oceanna, there are so many good choices and not many bad ones, how can you go wrong? LOL

I still like yellow. I like the yellow that paint chips did with the white garage door and arbor over the garage. But maybe with a black door. Is a new door in the budget or just paint? I like the doors with some glass in them.

My second choice would be the last deep blue one you did. I'm starting to like white garages on your house. When I was driving home from my girls school, I go through a neighborhood of split ranches and many of them had white garages. What did you put in the window above your door on that last one? Pretty!!!

Good Luck!
Lindy

o

I like the darker blue with the white garage doors and white trim a lot. I would do the front door in black for a spark of interest. The red door didn't look right with the blues IMO. Looking really nice!

o

Gutters in the garage door color (lighter than the body). Not bright white to draw attention.

o

okay, there it is! my favorite one! (last one squirrel posted). sigh.

oh, florists tape-- I think our local set designing store told me that is what they use for concrete stain because a) it comes in different widths and b) it doesn't lift as easily, is water resistant. You can use masking tape, it is cheaper. You have to cut strips out if you want the grout thinner, but that's no biggie. think I got my florists' tape pretty cheap at Michaels, but certainly more expensive than masking tape. Have you checked out the Kemiko site? I put a link to them in another thread. their concrete pics are soo inspiring. found them in the back of Arch Digest years ago, before anyone was doing concrete in homes (ten years ago) and did an interior floor with it then. It feels so cool on the feet.

I will ask our realtors if they have any pics left from our listings, and also check through my old computers picture storage, just in case I can find the concrete staining pics.

I no longer live by this particular store, but they had all kinds of great paint products and suggestions for using it! I could take paint I mixed there and they'd tell me why it was too this or too that. I miss them.

o

Please don't paint the pretty brick chimney. There's no going back from that, ever.

Still not a fan of the yellow.

o

Lindy's blue one on Wed, Mar 12, 08 at 13:33, but with a black front door gets my vote! So pretty.

o

I second paint_chips vote!

o

Sarah! : ) You can only vote once! ;)

o

that's right, Squirrel...after all, it's a tie right now:-) are we the only two voting for the cream color with gg? btw, noticed you used gg in another post and LOVE It!

o

I adore that color. I think they're feeding us blues out there, as it keeps tugging on me : )

o

I'm torn between Squirrel's last pic and Oceanna's blues. Squirrel's is very similar to what's on the house now (but the details make the difference), so if you want a change, I'd go with the blue. If you're okay with similar but better, I'd go for Squirrel's last pic. How's that for indecision?!

o

I saw a house years ago, that I always loved. It was more taupe than the last squirrel picture, with a darker olive for the shutters, cream trim and a burnt orange for the door. I am having a hard time trying to figure out the color of your roof...is it more red or orange?

o

I vote for Lindy's blue one on Wed, Mar 12, 08 at 13:33.

bwahahaha. stacking the deck in favor of the blues. :-)

o

llol. Listen you! lol

Maybe we should resort to alternate sign-ons.

o

wait a minute- we have a few undecideds! blues haven't won yet:-)

yeah, I'm thinking of a new name already...

o
Beware ''New'' members!

Hey! No fair! At least I'm blatantly cheating. :-)

Uh, oh, paint_chips, we're going to have to watch out for "new" members on this thread! :-)

o

Mom, ya gotta go blue... *PLEASE* don't paint it tan or yellow! The house is too big for yellow and tan (or taupe, or whatever) is just blah. I love the horizontal trellis idea... would you make my dear brother build that? Bwah hah hah!

We're all doing well, thanks for asking. LOVE YOU

o

Hmm... I think the blue one that Lindy posted Wed, Mar 12, 08 at 13:33 is the best.

LOL, How is that Sarah!

Do you think they will notice the votes were rigged?

o

yay, rainerdog! Connected reinforcements for the blues!

o

if all of you double voters (hee hee) out there could find a way to persuade oceanna's DS to build the trellis, I would graciously concede a loss:-)

my new name is going to be: GG4U,O! Oh, shoot...I shouldn't have told you!

Oceanna, if I were nearby, I'd swing by and throw that trellis up in exchange for a glass of organic wine.

o

You folks are all such fun!

Decorpas,

Thanks about the florists tape. I didn't think of it being narrower than masking tape. Thanks for that link. They have a ton of Gallery pictures. Sounds like your paint store was cool, and I hope you find your pics.

What an offer! If you were nearby I'd take the trellis with a smile and give you a GG stained window for your home in exchange! :)

Sarah,

I'm not likely to paint the chimney. I like the yellow too. There are so many pretty ones it's hard to decide. I asked my son which he liked best and he couldn't decide. I asked my daughter and she hasn't written back yet.

Paint Chips,

Thanks, I'll look for that ad on the window grids.

Lindybarts,

I'm going to make a stained glass window above the front door, so I mocked one in. Truth is they don't show up well during the day from outside, though they look beautiful inside. At night if they're lit they look spectacular outside.

I still like yellow too and you're right, the one Paint Chips did is cool. It's so sunny and uplifting. It's so grey here 9 months of the year, which is one of the reasons grey is my least favorite color. My daughter's house is muted gold with black shutters and she painted her front door purple. It's pretty cool looking.

No new door on the budget unless someone almost gives it away free on CL and my son wants to install it... unlikely. Money is tight. That's why paint is always such a good investment, a lot of bang for the buck. But like you I love glass. I'd like to Gallery Glass a front door. The one I have is metal and it's perfectly good. It came white and has never even been painted. I suspect it's not very old. The garage doors are the same -- metal, in great shape, and came white from the factory. There's something nice about not having to paint. But the trim around them now needs scraped, sanded, primed and repainted.

Thanks again for all you did! Where did you find the driveway poic, can you remember? I just love that driveway.

Hoosiergirl,

I hear ya. If the body doesn't need painting I'll do Squirrel's trim idea. If it does, I'm thinking I may go with the blue.

Gk5040,

That sounds pretty. I can't go with olive as my neighbor is mint green. I'm having a hard time figuring the roof color out too, and I'm looking right at it. It's a medium brown but it has flecks of golden brown and a few orange flecks as well.

Courtney!

Yay, you posted! Which blue pic do you like, honey? And which trellis? Over the garage? Or under the LR window? Hmmm... not so sure I could get your bro to build a trellis. Any ideas on that? LOVE YOU TOO!!!

o

Yep, I hear ya on the gray! I'm in Portland and I've about had it up to here with gloomy. The tease we got last week just makes me want Spring all the more. I recall you are close by in the PNW right??

I got that driveway pic off a website for Concrete stain. But not close to us. Artisan Decorative Concrete

LOL on the Blue voting crew! :c)

o

Lindy, yeah I'm in the Seattle area. We are sick to death of grey gloom by this time of year, aren't we? Well you know we can expect sunshine on July 5th... and we'll be lucky if it doesn't rain on the 4th.

Portland is so beautiful, btw. I've loved it when I visited. There is a sandwich shop there called Roses something as I recall, that makes The Best Sandwiches In The World. Do you know it? Your weather is a lot like ours... I think maybe just a skosh better?

Thanks for the link on the driveway. It sure is pretty. I could even see just doing an edging on the driveway and then doing the walk. Someone in my last neighborhood did their driveway in green and it looked goofy, but the earth toned colors look nice.

I've never had a blue house before. I've been mostly in cream colors with various trims. This house is boring. It definitely needs sprucing up. The ideas here are stupendous -- not just for the house colors but the other ideas too. It's SO hard to maintain curb appeal, especially through the winters in the PNW, don't you think? BTW, your house is stupendous. LOVE that tower! Looks like you have some of the design advantages of yesteryear but with the comforts and advances of today.

o

OK, If the green is out, I'll take the blue with window grids, lots of clematis and a smiling face on the garage door. (They do look like smiley eyes now that you say it.)

Why did I think you were in Florida?

o

Kitchenkelly,

I don't see how I can do green -- it would clash with my neighbor's house and they are such nice neighbors. It would do us both a disservice.

You like the window grids? Cool! Smiling face... I'll have to think about lip design... hehe. I need a happy looking house.

I dunno. I'm a far cry from Florida. I'm in the Seattle area where everything is grey, grey, grey and wet, wet, wet. We all have webbed feet. By this time of the year we are crying for spring flowers and sunshine! That's one reason why I hate grey. If I were in Phoenix or Florida I might love it, who knows?

So when you imagine this house, subtract all those flowers for 9 months of the year.

o

Oceanna, shoot, you're in Seattle? Too far for me to come and you've tempted me with the GG you offered! If I get that way for work, I'll be sure to swing by with a trellis:-)

I like the window grids--they go a long way toward giving you the look you want. I know many people think you need to maintain the architecturally integrity of the original design, and I usually feel that way, but in some cases those rules just don't apply. One of the architects I worked with once told me that the human eye feels better around windows with grids that are tall and skinny. That works for me.

o

Wowsers, I just love that one Squirrel did with the Giverney Green shutters. I'd love to see that arbor trellis across the garage, too, if possible.

I vote for the terra and giverney green on a neutral body. Just splendid with the roof color!

o

ROFL nutsnseeds4ever....very clever screen name! hmmmm? Should we all play detective?? I spy with my little eye....

o

hey, now...nuts4seeds4ever voted for the GG and terra!!!! never seen you b4, but I don't care-- I'm SO glad you voted. Welcome:-) I will send you many seeds for your vote (is this turning into a real election?).

I think we're about even now, if only some of the undecideds would lean in one direction ("terracotta GG trellis, terracotta GG trellis..." subliminal chant continues...)

o

o
feed the squirrel

I thought as much!:-) still counts.

o

pbbbbb, Family members!!

o

Oceanna,

Is the roof in need of replacement anytime soon? If not, I'm not sure I'm liking the blue with the rust brown roof. I think you need to either add some brown to the house in the trim and use a warmer blue, or stick with a cream or taupe color for the house and use a warm color for your shutters like a dark brown and a red door. I love the trellis addition over the garage area. That would be beautiful in summer with a climbing rose/clematis combo.

o
RRE: Exterior photoshop help please?

I'd done a brown but figured it would bore them to tears! Here with the neutral and then a seafoam blue and blue-green:

o

Nice try, squirrel! :p

o

LOL @ nutsnseeds4ever!

o

I like that seafoam blue with the brown shutters and dark blue door, but will it clash with the green neighbor? Still like the other blue one better, but seafoam blue might be less "grey" for Oceanna.

o

um, does carol make us the winner? between nuts4seeds, squirrel, me and who else? boy, we're racking up the votes.:-)

family counts, squirrel! maybe i can get decorpas1 and 2 to vote? why not!

o

Decorpas,

Seattle area. If you swing by with a trellis bring a window with you that you want done. :)

In my last house I had the windows you describe, taller, thinner and with the grids. I LOVED them! It was also easy to buy or sew drapes for them. I'm not fond of these windows and grids would at least help. This house is stuck in the late '60s and I'm an antique lover.

Squirrel,

Who makes the Giverney Green, please? If I decide to not paint the body of the house, that's the direction I'll go for now. Then when I have the body done at a later date I'll switch to blue. Again, thanks for your help.

I made "dates" with two painting firms today for an estimate. One stood me up without a call. They'll never get a penny from me. The other called before coming and were very nice. $3,500 for whole house and deck. $1,200 for trim only. $1,200 for deck only. My son said "too expensive" which makes me think that means he might help me do it instead. I have another painter who's supposed to come tomorrow. We'll see what he says about the condition of the body and the price for his work.

You're right, the brown is boring. lol I'm a big fan of red and green. I like yellow added to all my colors. So I love the one you did with the green shutters and the red door... and that would go with the existing body color.

Caroleoh,

The roof looks to be in pretty good shape, I think, though I'm no expert. You make a good point about the warm blue. The blue I'm thinking of has just a very slight hint of yellow in it. The roof is a good practical color, neither too dark (hot in summer) nor too light.

~~

I looked in CL for a door and here's what I found. I ruled out the ones that I couldn't hang a wreath on. This one matches my garage doors and I can paint it any color -- so I hate to spend $ but I'm thinking about it. Maybe I can offer less. What do you all think? (I haven't checked the measurements -- and might I have a hard time getting a good fit buying not prehung??) Or should I hang out for something fancier? It still leaves me with the problem of how to get it installed; I'm sure I can't do it myself.

Here is a link that might be useful: CL door

o

Oceanna,

I'm not sure about this but I want you to check the price of having it hung. In toher words, it's not "pre-hung", but you do have the existing framework so maybe it's not an issue. I wouldn't want you stuck paying more money for the install because the carpenters had to fiddle with it for a long time.

It's pretty, though! and if this isn't an issue (something Sarah the remodeler can probably answer better than I) then go for it!

o

I think you need some more estimates from other painters. Who did your neighbors use? Those seem very high to me. I had our old house done 1 year ago -- 2 stories, about 2200 sq. ft. -- for $3000 including trim, doors, chimney, pergola, garage, and stucco walls and patio walls. We're in Orange County Cal., so labor prices are pretty comparable to Seattle area.

o

Decorpas,

Good point. I really don't know the right way to proceed, but I do know it's important that a front door fit correctly. Labor can be expensive. Thanks for letting me know you like the design for this house. Mine is just so plain, but maybe I can save money by doing a super paint job on it. I really do like some glass in a door, tbut maybe I should save my $.

Sarah,

Thanks. Mine is 2 stories and I'm thinking it's 2,600 sq ft or so (I forgot), so this might not be that much out of line, especially including the two decks (upper and lower). We'll see what the next guy says. Good idea about asking my neighbors.

o

Decorpas makes it. I mix it.

o

Seattle...darn it. I don't see GG in my future then! All I can do is drool over the ones you've made for you and your son then...

Squirrel and I started calling it Giverny Green because it's the color of the shutters and garden furniture in Giverny:-)
It's a bluish green, sometimes grayed down a bit.

let me get out my little dropper and tell you what the formula is, and then you can take that code to any store and get paint mixed to the Pantone number. It's number 496260!
Oh, I do love that color combo...hey, have we won yet? :-)

o
ERE: Exterior photoshop help please?

I'm going to have to try that Pantone number thing! Can you then translate to a swatch? I'm thinking when you lift a pixel, you'd be getting something lighter or darker than the overall feel of the color, due to highlights and shadows.

That's a Photoshop tool, isn't it.

o

Every time I am getting close to voting ... someone adds another beautiful choice and I start comparing all over. If I had to choose right now it would be from Squirrel on Thu, Mar 13, 08 at 7:44, no wait, from 11:42. Good thing I don't have to decide. I will say I like the window grids, love the GG over the front door, and really, really like the arbor over the garage doors. Oceanna, I'm thinking you and your son could make one. Easy for me to say but you have done many other large projects on your own and I THINK the arbor could be made on the ground and then raised into position. Good luck also on the front door decision. My front door is on my to do list. I need to refinish it and get new side lights installed or buy new and that's lots of $$. I do like the door you found on CL and if I thought you could just bring it home and hang it up, I'd say go for it and then list your old door and you could probably break even. But I know it's just not that simple. Good Luck!! :)

o

yeah, it's ps dropper tool. click on it, take it over to the color you want to duplicate double click and the pantone chart comes up. in the bottom right corner is the pantone code....but yes, you do have to be careful regarding tones, where you lift it from. In this case, I lifted it from the picture with the shutters because it was a larger surface to work with. I hope people take these codes as a starting point and then adjust the light/dark of the color as necessary:-) as you bring up, when you paint like this in PS, you get a flat color-- no highlights or lowlights. so it's not truly a swatch like you would have IRL.

You use a different program, right? in ps, the dropper tool is what you use to duplicate a color. when you click once on the pic using it, that color comes up as the BG. click the FG/BG thing and it becomes FG.

btw,this color would look good lighter or darker, don't you think? but they are different looks! I have an EK sample of this color that I am dying to try on my house, but that means I have to repaint the whole house, and only the trim needs it.

We're winning, Squirrel! Nuts4seeds put us over the edge. go nuts!

o

I agree with mry193, if you could just hang that door without trouble, go for it. But I'm wondering about the unfinished side. How much labor to finish it? It's a nice door though!

So if you just change the shutter color to that beautiful green and then try to do a body color in blue later, won't you need to change the shutters again? Or maybe there's a nice blue that goes with Giverny Green? LOL

Good Luck Oceanna

Lindy

o

Squirrel & Decorpas,

Thanks. I just thought it was a brand paint. I'll just pick out something that looks good to me -- having worked as a professional artist I have a pretty good eye.

Lindy,

Yes, if I change only the shutters and front door now and later do the whole house, I'd have to get the shutters repainted. I don't think that's a biggie.

~~~

Some exciting news...

I had another guy come over today and give me an estimate. I like him. His estimate was much better -- $2600 for the entire everything; or $280 for the trim and shutters only; $345 for the decks only. I'm pretty sure I'm going to use him.

Now I just need to decide whether to have the body repainted. There are (that I know of) only two blisters to the body paint. I talked to the gal at SW and she said I could just knock those down, prime and paint and could make my body paint go longer. So that would mean $625 to get this guy to essentially give me the look Squirrel did with the green shutters and red front door and make my decks pretty. It's worth that to me to have someone else do it.

BUT here's the REALLY exciting part. I had a LONG talk with that gal at SW. She's in her 20's and tall and strong. She does decorative and faux painting, just like me. So I proposed we start up a little business together (safety in numbers) and pick up a few evening jobs painting murals (we've both done those), painting flowers on folks' walls, doing faux painting, changing people's fireplace brick colors (I know how to make a painted fireplace look like brick again), and maybe even doing faux stained glass work for folks for some extra $$.

We're both very excited about the possibilities! We each know how to do things the other doesn't, so we could teach each other. Neither of us want to work every night or 40 hours a week at this point, but we both need more $$. We just want to do a little job or two per week. So this might work out to be cool for us both. :D

What's a good name for a decorative painting business?

We need to figure out what to charge -- not quite sure how to do that. What should someone pay to have a little or big fireplace changed? What should they pay for a faux stained glass window or a mural?

She has some good contacts through her job, and also can get quality paint at discount. Painters she already knows might be happy to throw us some decorative painting work. I figure we could also make portfolios and we can leave business cards with local interior decorators. Should we make flyers too? How else to scare up business?

We want/should have VERY little initial cash outlay, as we both have painting equipment already. We live maybe 5 miles or so apart, so that's good. We want to start out small and see if we want to expand later.

Any thoughts on how we can do this or if it's a bad idea?

o
Door

Oh, Liney, I'll measure for the door. I'll bet for a few extra bucks I could get this guy to hang the door for me too. I'll go do some measuring.

o

How exciting! I am very happy for you.

Remember that you will need your clients to sign a contract, for your own protection. Also, a business contract between you and your new partner is in order. If she finds the client, but you do the work who gets paid?

I knew someone who did murals that charged by the square foot. That was a very long time ago, and I have no idea what she charged, but the system worked well for her.

Maybe NutsnSeeds can come up with a clever name for you : )

o

Paint Chips,

Thanks! Yes, we'll need contracts and some agreements and a contract between us about who gets ppaid what for what jobs. I already mentioned that to her about what if one of us finds the work/negotiates and another does the work.

I need to find out what that kind of painting work goes for in my area, as I assume it varies in different areas of the country.

hehe -- Ok, NutsnSeeds, you're on!

o

That is exciting, Oceanna! You've shown us some of your beautiful work, so you should do quite well if there's a market in your area. You might also try local businesses -- cafes, restaurants, shops. Esp good for evening work, I'd think.

I have no idea on pricing, but there's surely a lot of info on the net. SummnieBee had a mural done in her dd's room, by someone she knows and helped to get started. Maybe she could fill you in on some details if she's around these days. Not sure what part of the country, though. I would think time and materials would pretty well determine that. Be sure to include depreciation on your existing equipment and its eventual replacement -- not sure what the equipment is, but workers build that into their pricing when they have expensive equipment outlays neccesary to do the work).

If I think of any names, I'll pass them along, but my mind is bogged down and groaning to a halt right now, lol. Can't beat Decorpas's Haint Paint, though!

Keep us posted : ) I could sure use some advice getting started myself.

o

Thanks, Squirrel. Dare I ask what it is you want to start?

o

Ouch! double-Ouch!

o

Oceanna, What a day you've had, finding a reasonably priced painter that you like, and a possible new business partner!
For your business name ..... SERENDIPITY!! This is the definition from Wikipedia:
Serendipity is the effect by which one accidentally discovers something fortunate, especially while looking for something else entirely.
Wishing you the very best of luck!!
Mari

o

How exciting for you! Congrats on a good day!

o

Grats Oceanna, I'm think'in start low on your prices, people are more likely to try something new or spend money if the cost is reasonable or low even, you know how people love to take advantage of a good deal. Getting your foot in the door is the hard part, but sounds like you two have one up on that with partner working in a paint store. Once you two have some quality references to show prospective clients prices can start to increase accordingly. Pricing by the square foot also sounds appropriate for this type of work. What fun you will have doing something you love and are good at and making money to boot. Best of luck!

o

That's exciting and so perfect for you! Here's a few ideas you've probably already thought of:

take some pictures of work you've both done so you can start on on-line portfolio for clients to check out and you with all of your inspiration pics might put something together like that for them as well. I like the idea of making fliers and passing them out to local restaurants as well.

Names...oh dear. I've been working on my house all day after the black out all night long and my brain is slow. Faux Folly is all I got right now, and that is probably too much:-)

So happy for you! Also, I'll bet they shoot a lot of print work there, so you might want to let some photographers who do that kind of work know you're around in case they ever need backdrops, furniture painted, gallery glass, etc! You can probably register with the local film commission. I dont' know how often those jobs come around there, but when they do, they can pay pretty well.

o

Squirrel -- a photoshopping business?

Mari -- thanks for the great suggestion and the sweet wishes. :) Yes it was definitely serendipitous.

Kitchenkelly -- thanks! Now I need to meet the gal in person and we need to talk. I've been thinking about woodgraining my garage and front doors... but I've never seen it in person. I want to see if she knows how to do it. That might be a fun thing to do for folks in the warm summer months, and it might pay well if it really looks good in person. So maybe I should do it to mine?

Wisrose -- you're probably right about starting lower. We need to get some "hot" pics in our portfolios to be able to get the best jobs, I think. So that's a way to do it. But we want to start high enough that we don't get discouraged and give up too.

Decorpas -- thanks! I think it could be really great if we figure out some things we can do pretty easily and quickly for good bucks. I can't code a web page to save my soul... is there good s/w for it nowadays? This gal is pretty computer illiterate, she says. She never even uses her email!

Folly sounds kind of like we don't know what we're doing, doesn't it, or like a mistake? Thanks for thinking on it!

That's an interesting idea about the photographers. I never would have thought of that. Good thinkin!

o

Yeah, I meant it like folly fun, but I think I'd better go back to the drawing board!

I am making (no, my partner is doing it and I'm sitting there telling him what looks good) a website right now for my business. I think you could just use an album in photobucket or a webpage that comes with your email account. It doesn't have to be a whole website deal. Just a place you can store samples of your work and inspiration pics. In the end, it will save you money and time (printing costs and time regathering this stuff every time someone asks for it). My business is a visual business and I always have to gather the samples and email them to the person each time they ask for them. It's kind of a drag after a while! Plus it helps the clients imagine possibilities.

You don't need to worry about it right now, but just be gathering your stuff for when you're ready for this step! I always bring my camera with me now on a job so I can take pics as samples, because it is hard to get them afterwards sometimes, at least in my line of work.

I'm SO excited for you:-)

o

I'm thinking that if I'm going to sell woodgraining on front and garage doors (which is still very much up in the air right now and I need to talk to my "partner" about it), then I should have it on my own house. So I mocked this up but I dunno if the colors are the best. Ideas? Comments?

I need to decide something to tell the painter what to do within the next few days.

Decorpas

Good luck with your web site! I do have a friend who can probably make me a web site in trade for something. As you point out, that will be low priority at first until we figure out if we really want to do these jobs or forget it.

Thanks for being excited for me. My worry is that I can't physically keep up with this job. I'll have to try it to see. Right now I wish this sciatica would just go away!

o

Oceanna, I love your mockup with the woodgrain doors - adds so much warmth to your beautiful home!

o

Thanks, Wodka!

Should I go with that, or with this? I spent all night fixing this up (squared the whole thing, etc.) because I'm in a homeowner's assoc and I have to clear it with them, and the painter is waiting for an answer. I figured I'd woodgrain the front door in a reddish tone if I go with this. Anyway, if all systems are "go" I can send them this picture. But I'm not sure when they're meeting again.

I did a sloppy mockup of the blue with the woodtoned doors, but I'm not sure if I like it or not, or if it should then be in a different tone.

I still need to talk with that gal and see if she's done it and ask her if it really looks as good close up as it does in the pictures, and how hard it is to do. I've read a number of directions on how, but I hope she's done it.

o

Oceanna, I'm not nearly as talented as you, so don't go by what I think. But, in my very humble opinion, I like the dark woodgrain garage doors and front door with the lighter house colors; it comes off too dark with the dark blue. Even your beautiful stained glass gets lost in all of that blue, whereas a lighter background makes everything "pop."

o

Thanks, Wodka. I agree the wood doesn't look good with the blue. I suspect if I do the blue I should stick with all white trim, white doors. Maybe I should stick with the paler color. It's just that so many houses around me are some various shades of tan. There are no blue ones anywahere close to me. Still thinking!

o

Oceanna,

What do you use to do the woodgraining? It looks great on your house!

I used "zar" to give low grade trim some pop and I was really happy with it.

Congrats on the business! I know painting can be physically tough, but maybe mural painting and faux work is more contained? The work you did in your house that I saw seemed perfect scale wise!

good luck and keep us informed about your choices!

o

Try the wood graining with the lighter blues. Maybe try it with the seafoam blue or seafoam green? My preference is still the more traditional looking lighter blue, but the seafoam might look very nice with the woodgraining and your brownish roof.

o

Hi Sarah,

Here it is with the lighter blue. Remember my net door neighbor's house is green, so I'm avoiding green.

o

OK - I'm voting for the last one! I just love how the GG looks over the door! So, Oceana, have YOU made a decision?

o

I forgot about the green. But it doesn't matter because that's the one! It's perfect with the gallery glass and the faux wood painting on the garage doors and the front door. LOVE IT.

o

Love it, Oceanna- also like how you have repeating squares with the window grids and concrete stain:-) a very nice meeting of the architecture with your style.

o

Thanks everyone. No, I haven't made up my mind yet Mari, and that's based partly on my uncertainty about my ability to make woodgraining look like the doors I've pictured here. I want to be sure that if I can't pull it off I can still make the house look great with a solid color on the doors as a backup plan.

Seems to me that the wood toned garage doors go better with the warm colors -- the tans and golds, or even the greens than with blue -- kinda like we think of our kitchen cabinet wood?

o

---Seems to me that the wood toned garage doors go better with the warm colors -- the tans and golds, or even the greens than with blue --

I've always been partial to blue so I may be a little biased, but I understand what you are saying and wish I could give some help or advice. I just don't have the color talent that others who visit here do. So, lets bump this up a little and see if we can get another opinion. :)

o

Squirrel - just go for it! Could you eBay the service to start? Have you thought about a price yet? Ask for business start up advice on here. I know there are plenty of knowledgeable people who might owe you a favor or two!

o

Thanks, Mari.

Squirrel... do you want to be an Interior Decorator? You sure could be one from what I've seen of your ideas!

Augh... I need to make up my mind on this soon.

o

(whispers) blue, blue, blue, blue :-)

o

Oceanna, I woke up the other morning thinking about you and your new business.

If your area does community education classes during the summer, they usually beg for teachers. You should do a faux finishing class. You generally make a little money, but more importantly, the word of mouth is great.

Just a thought for you : )

o

Squirrel would also make a great consultant for new construction company, helping clients pick exterior colors (as well as interior, obviously!).

Oceanna, I see what you mean about the warmer colors and the green with the woodtones, and as you know, that is my vote anyway, so I hardly think I am being unbiased! I just thought those colors brought out your style-- the warmth and friendliness of you:-)

o

Sarah -- hehehe

Paint Chips -- turns out the potential partner gives lip service to being interested but has failed to return calls or answer emails. Methinks she's too young and/or not in a position to take it seriously. I don't think I'm qualified to teach faux finishing, truly. If I teach anything it should be dog training and parrot training.

Decorpas -- Yes... Squirrel should be making lotsa' money for her obvious talents. I know the painter wants to do the whole house, but I'm thinking I'll just have him do the trim because money is tight. That will leave me the option to do the doors or not, at my leisure. I still keep looking at CL for a better front door. My measurements are strange on the existing one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here