Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oceanna_gw

Exterior photoshop help please?

oceanna
16 years ago

It looks like I'm going to have to repaint this summer. Here is a picture of my house and I would really appreciate any photoshop help you can give me. I've tried, but just haven't been able to make anything look good.

The house to my left is pale green. The house to my right is white with dark brown trim in a Tudor style. My house is off-white with stark white trim and doors, and very dark (almost black) green shutters. My roof is a sandy tan with brick tones to it. I like warm tones and dislike grey. Any help you could give me would be much appreciated - thanks!

{{gwi:1622116}}

Comments (125)

• decorpas
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I thought as much!:-) still counts.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

pbbbbb, Family members!!

• CaroleOH
    16 years ago

Oceanna,

Is the roof in need of replacement anytime soon? If not, I'm not sure I'm liking the blue with the rust brown roof. I think you need to either add some brown to the house in the trim and use a warmer blue, or stick with a cream or taupe color for the house and use a warm color for your shutters like a dark brown and a red door. I love the trellis addition over the garage area. That would be beautiful in summer with a climbing rose/clematis combo.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I'd done a brown but figured it would bore them to tears! Here with the neutral and then a seafoam blue and blue-green:

{{gwi:1622170}}

{{gwi:1622172}}

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

Nice try, squirrel! :p

• hoosiergirl
    16 years ago

LOL @ nutsnseeds4ever!

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

I like that seafoam blue with the brown shutters and dark blue door, but will it clash with the green neighbor? Still like the other blue one better, but seafoam blue might be less "grey" for Oceanna.

• decorpas
    16 years ago

um, does carol make us the winner? between nuts4seeds, squirrel, me and who else? boy, we're racking up the votes.:-)

family counts, squirrel! maybe i can get decorpas1 and 2 to vote? why not!

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Decorpas,

Seattle area. If you swing by with a trellis bring a window with you that you want done. :)

In my last house I had the windows you describe, taller, thinner and with the grids. I LOVED them! It was also easy to buy or sew drapes for them. I'm not fond of these windows and grids would at least help. This house is stuck in the late '60s and I'm an antique lover.

Squirrel,

Who makes the Giverney Green, please? If I decide to not paint the body of the house, that's the direction I'll go for now. Then when I have the body done at a later date I'll switch to blue. Again, thanks for your help.

I made "dates" with two painting firms today for an estimate. One stood me up without a call. They'll never get a penny from me. The other called before coming and were very nice. $3,500 for whole house and deck. $1,200 for trim only. $1,200 for deck only. My son said "too expensive" which makes me think that means he might help me do it instead. I have another painter who's supposed to come tomorrow. We'll see what he says about the condition of the body and the price for his work.

You're right, the brown is boring. lol I'm a big fan of red and green. I like yellow added to all my colors. So I love the one you did with the green shutters and the red door... and that would go with the existing body color.

Caroleoh,

The roof looks to be in pretty good shape, I think, though I'm no expert. You make a good point about the warm blue. The blue I'm thinking of has just a very slight hint of yellow in it. The roof is a good practical color, neither too dark (hot in summer) nor too light.

~~

I looked in CL for a door and here's what I found. I ruled out the ones that I couldn't hang a wreath on. This one matches my garage doors and I can paint it any color -- so I hate to spend $ but I'm thinking about it. Maybe I can offer less. What do you all think? (I haven't checked the measurements -- and might I have a hard time getting a good fit buying not prehung??) Or should I hang out for something fancier? It still leaves me with the problem of how to get it installed; I'm sure I can't do it myself.

Here is a link that might be useful: CL door

• decorpas
    16 years ago

Oceanna,

I'm not sure about this but I want you to check the price of having it hung. In toher words, it's not "pre-hung", but you do have the existing framework so maybe it's not an issue. I wouldn't want you stuck paying more money for the install because the carpenters had to fiddle with it for a long time.

It's pretty, though! and if this isn't an issue (something Sarah the remodeler can probably answer better than I) then go for it!

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

I think you need some more estimates from other painters. Who did your neighbors use? Those seem very high to me. I had our old house done 1 year ago -- 2 stories, about 2200 sq. ft. -- for $3000 including trim, doors, chimney, pergola, garage, and stucco walls and patio walls. We're in Orange County Cal., so labor prices are pretty comparable to Seattle area.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Decorpas,

Good point. I really don't know the right way to proceed, but I do know it's important that a front door fit correctly. Labor can be expensive. Thanks for letting me know you like the design for this house. Mine is just so plain, but maybe I can save money by doing a super paint job on it. I really do like some glass in a door, tbut maybe I should save my $.

Sarah,

Thanks. Mine is 2 stories and I'm thinking it's 2,600 sq ft or so (I forgot), so this might not be that much out of line, especially including the two decks (upper and lower). We'll see what the next guy says. Good idea about asking my neighbors.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Decorpas makes it. I mix it.

• decorpas
    16 years ago

Seattle...darn it. I don't see GG in my future then! All I can do is drool over the ones you've made for you and your son then...

Squirrel and I started calling it Giverny Green because it's the color of the shutters and garden furniture in Giverny:-)
    It's a bluish green, sometimes grayed down a bit.

let me get out my little dropper and tell you what the formula is, and then you can take that code to any store and get paint mixed to the Pantone number. It's number 496260!
    Oh, I do love that color combo...hey, have we won yet? :-)

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I'm going to have to try that Pantone number thing! Can you then translate to a swatch? I'm thinking when you lift a pixel, you'd be getting something lighter or darker than the overall feel of the color, due to highlights and shadows.

That's a Photoshop tool, isn't it.

• mry193
    16 years ago

Every time I am getting close to voting ... someone adds another beautiful choice and I start comparing all over. If I had to choose right now it would be from Squirrel on Thu, Mar 13, 08 at 7:44, no wait, from 11:42. Good thing I don't have to decide. I will say I like the window grids, love the GG over the front door, and really, really like the arbor over the garage doors. Oceanna, I'm thinking you and your son could make one. Easy for me to say but you have done many other large projects on your own and I THINK the arbor could be made on the ground and then raised into position. Good luck also on the front door decision. My front door is on my to do list. I need to refinish it and get new side lights installed or buy new and that's lots of $$. I do like the door you found on CL and if I thought you could just bring it home and hang it up, I'd say go for it and then list your old door and you could probably break even. But I know it's just not that simple. Good Luck!! :)

• decorpas
    16 years ago

yeah, it's ps dropper tool. click on it, take it over to the color you want to duplicate double click and the pantone chart comes up. in the bottom right corner is the pantone code....but yes, you do have to be careful regarding tones, where you lift it from. In this case, I lifted it from the picture with the shutters because it was a larger surface to work with. I hope people take these codes as a starting point and then adjust the light/dark of the color as necessary:-) as you bring up, when you paint like this in PS, you get a flat color-- no highlights or lowlights. so it's not truly a swatch like you would have IRL.

You use a different program, right? in ps, the dropper tool is what you use to duplicate a color. when you click once on the pic using it, that color comes up as the BG. click the FG/BG thing and it becomes FG.

btw,this color would look good lighter or darker, don't you think? but they are different looks! I have an EK sample of this color that I am dying to try on my house, but that means I have to repaint the whole house, and only the trim needs it.

We're winning, Squirrel! Nuts4seeds put us over the edge. go nuts!

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

I agree with mry193, if you could just hang that door without trouble, go for it. But I'm wondering about the unfinished side. How much labor to finish it? It's a nice door though!

So if you just change the shutter color to that beautiful green and then try to do a body color in blue later, won't you need to change the shutters again? Or maybe there's a nice blue that goes with Giverny Green? LOL

Good Luck Oceanna

Lindy

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Squirrel & Decorpas,

Thanks. I just thought it was a brand paint. I'll just pick out something that looks good to me -- having worked as a professional artist I have a pretty good eye.

Lindy,

Yes, if I change only the shutters and front door now and later do the whole house, I'd have to get the shutters repainted. I don't think that's a biggie.

Some exciting news... I had another guy come over today and give me an estimate. I like him. His estimate was much better \-\- $2600 for the entire everything; or $280 for the trim and shutters only; $345 for the decks only. I'm pretty sure I'm going to use him. Now I just need to decide whether to have the body repainted. There are (that I know of) only two blisters to the body paint. I talked to the gal at SW and she said I could just knock those down, prime and paint and could make my body paint go longer. So that would mean $625 to get this guy to essentially give me the look Squirrel did with the green shutters and red front door and make my decks pretty. It's worth that to me to have someone else do it. BUT here's the REALLY exciting part. I had a LONG talk with that gal at SW. She's in her 20's and tall and strong. She does decorative and faux painting, just like me. So I proposed we start up a little business together (safety in numbers) and pick up a few evening jobs painting murals (we've both done those), painting flowers on folks' walls, doing faux painting, changing people's fireplace brick colors (I know how to make a painted fireplace look like brick again), and maybe even doing faux stained glass work for folks for some extra $$. We're both very excited about the possibilities! We each know how to do things the other doesn't, so we could teach each other. Neither of us want to work every night or 40 hours a week at this point, but we both need more $$. We just want to do a little job or two per week. So this might work out to be cool for us both. :D What's a good name for a decorative painting business? We need to figure out what to charge \-\- not quite sure how to do that. What should someone pay to have a little or big fireplace changed? What should they pay for a faux stained glass window or a mural? She has some good contacts through her job, and also can get quality paint at discount. Painters she already knows might be happy to throw us some decorative painting work. I figure we could also make portfolios and we can leave business cards with local interior decorators. Should we make flyers too? How else to scare up business? We want/should have VERY little initial cash outlay, as we both have painting equipment already. We live maybe 5 miles or so apart, so that's good. We want to start out small and see if we want to expand later. Any thoughts on how we can do this or if it's a bad idea?
  • oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, Liney, I'll measure for the door. I'll bet for a few extra bucks I could get this guy to hang the door for me too. I'll go do some measuring.

• paint_chips
    16 years ago

How exciting! I am very happy for you.

Remember that you will need your clients to sign a contract, for your own protection. Also, a business contract between you and your new partner is in order. If she finds the client, but you do the work who gets paid?

I knew someone who did murals that charged by the square foot. That was a very long time ago, and I have no idea what she charged, but the system worked well for her.

Maybe NutsnSeeds can come up with a clever name for you : )

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Paint Chips,

Thanks! Yes, we'll need contracts and some agreements and a contract between us about who gets ppaid what for what jobs. I already mentioned that to her about what if one of us finds the work/negotiates and another does the work.

I need to find out what that kind of painting work goes for in my area, as I assume it varies in different areas of the country.

hehe -- Ok, NutsnSeeds, you're on!

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

That is exciting, Oceanna! You've shown us some of your beautiful work, so you should do quite well if there's a market in your area. You might also try local businesses -- cafes, restaurants, shops. Esp good for evening work, I'd think.

I have no idea on pricing, but there's surely a lot of info on the net. SummnieBee had a mural done in her dd's room, by someone she knows and helped to get started. Maybe she could fill you in on some details if she's around these days. Not sure what part of the country, though. I would think time and materials would pretty well determine that. Be sure to include depreciation on your existing equipment and its eventual replacement -- not sure what the equipment is, but workers build that into their pricing when they have expensive equipment outlays neccesary to do the work).

If I think of any names, I'll pass them along, but my mind is bogged down and groaning to a halt right now, lol. Can't beat Decorpas's Haint Paint, though!

Keep us posted : ) I could sure use some advice getting started myself.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Squirrel. Dare I ask what it is you want to start?

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Ouch! double-Ouch!

• mry193
    16 years ago

Oceanna, What a day you've had, finding a reasonably priced painter that you like, and a possible new business partner!
    For your business name ..... SERENDIPITY!! This is the definition from Wikipedia:
    Serendipity is the effect by which one accidentally discovers something fortunate, especially while looking for something else entirely.
    Wishing you the very best of luck!!
    Mari

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

How exciting for you! Congrats on a good day!

• wisrose
    16 years ago

Grats Oceanna, I'm think'in start low on your prices, people are more likely to try something new or spend money if the cost is reasonable or low even, you know how people love to take advantage of a good deal. Getting your foot in the door is the hard part, but sounds like you two have one up on that with partner working in a paint store. Once you two have some quality references to show prospective clients prices can start to increase accordingly. Pricing by the square foot also sounds appropriate for this type of work. What fun you will have doing something you love and are good at and making money to boot. Best of luck!

• decorpas
    16 years ago

That's exciting and so perfect for you! Here's a few ideas you've probably already thought of:

take some pictures of work you've both done so you can start on on-line portfolio for clients to check out and you with all of your inspiration pics might put something together like that for them as well. I like the idea of making fliers and passing them out to local restaurants as well.

Names...oh dear. I've been working on my house all day after the black out all night long and my brain is slow. Faux Folly is all I got right now, and that is probably too much:-)

So happy for you! Also, I'll bet they shoot a lot of print work there, so you might want to let some photographers who do that kind of work know you're around in case they ever need backdrops, furniture painted, gallery glass, etc! You can probably register with the local film commission. I dont' know how often those jobs come around there, but when they do, they can pay pretty well.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Squirrel -- a photoshopping business?

Mari -- thanks for the great suggestion and the sweet wishes. :) Yes it was definitely serendipitous.

Kitchenkelly -- thanks! Now I need to meet the gal in person and we need to talk. I've been thinking about woodgraining my garage and front doors... but I've never seen it in person. I want to see if she knows how to do it. That might be a fun thing to do for folks in the warm summer months, and it might pay well if it really looks good in person. So maybe I should do it to mine?

Wisrose -- you're probably right about starting lower. We need to get some "hot" pics in our portfolios to be able to get the best jobs, I think. So that's a way to do it. But we want to start high enough that we don't get discouraged and give up too.

Decorpas -- thanks! I think it could be really great if we figure out some things we can do pretty easily and quickly for good bucks. I can't code a web page to save my soul... is there good s/w for it nowadays? This gal is pretty computer illiterate, she says. She never even uses her email!

Folly sounds kind of like we don't know what we're doing, doesn't it, or like a mistake? Thanks for thinking on it!

That's an interesting idea about the photographers. I never would have thought of that. Good thinkin!

• decorpas
    16 years ago

Yeah, I meant it like folly fun, but I think I'd better go back to the drawing board!

I am making (no, my partner is doing it and I'm sitting there telling him what looks good) a website right now for my business. I think you could just use an album in photobucket or a webpage that comes with your email account. It doesn't have to be a whole website deal. Just a place you can store samples of your work and inspiration pics. In the end, it will save you money and time (printing costs and time regathering this stuff every time someone asks for it). My business is a visual business and I always have to gather the samples and email them to the person each time they ask for them. It's kind of a drag after a while! Plus it helps the clients imagine possibilities.

You don't need to worry about it right now, but just be gathering your stuff for when you're ready for this step! I always bring my camera with me now on a job so I can take pics as samples, because it is hard to get them afterwards sometimes, at least in my line of work.

I'm SO excited for you:-)

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm thinking that if I'm going to sell woodgraining on front and garage doors (which is still very much up in the air right now and I need to talk to my "partner" about it), then I should have it on my own house. So I mocked this up but I dunno if the colors are the best. Ideas? Comments?

{{gwi:1622173}}

I need to decide something to tell the painter what to do within the next few days.

Decorpas

Good luck with your web site! I do have a friend who can probably make me a web site in trade for something. As you point out, that will be low priority at first until we figure out if we really want to do these jobs or forget it.

Thanks for being excited for me. My worry is that I can't physically keep up with this job. I'll have to try it to see. Right now I wish this sciatica would just go away!

• wodka
    16 years ago

Oceanna, I love your mockup with the woodgrain doors - adds so much warmth to your beautiful home!

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Wodka!

Should I go with that, or with this? I spent all night fixing this up (squared the whole thing, etc.) because I'm in a homeowner's assoc and I have to clear it with them, and the painter is waiting for an answer. I figured I'd woodgrain the front door in a reddish tone if I go with this. Anyway, if all systems are "go" I can send them this picture. But I'm not sure when they're meeting again.

{{gwi:1622174}}

I did a sloppy mockup of the blue with the woodtoned doors, but I'm not sure if I like it or not, or if it should then be in a different tone.

{{gwi:1622175}}

I still need to talk with that gal and see if she's done it and ask her if it really looks as good close up as it does in the pictures, and how hard it is to do. I've read a number of directions on how, but I hope she's done it.

• wodka
    16 years ago

Oceanna, I'm not nearly as talented as you, so don't go by what I think. But, in my very humble opinion, I like the dark woodgrain garage doors and front door with the lighter house colors; it comes off too dark with the dark blue. Even your beautiful stained glass gets lost in all of that blue, whereas a lighter background makes everything "pop."

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Wodka. I agree the wood doesn't look good with the blue. I suspect if I do the blue I should stick with all white trim, white doors. Maybe I should stick with the paler color. It's just that so many houses around me are some various shades of tan. There are no blue ones anywahere close to me. Still thinking!

• decorpas
    16 years ago

Oceanna,

What do you use to do the woodgraining? It looks great on your house!

I used "zar" to give low grade trim some pop and I was really happy with it.

Congrats on the business! I know painting can be physically tough, but maybe mural painting and faux work is more contained? The work you did in your house that I saw seemed perfect scale wise!

good luck and keep us informed about your choices!

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

Try the wood graining with the lighter blues. Maybe try it with the seafoam blue or seafoam green? My preference is still the more traditional looking lighter blue, but the seafoam might look very nice with the woodgraining and your brownish roof.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Sarah,

Here it is with the lighter blue. Remember my net door neighbor's house is green, so I'm avoiding green.

{{gwi:1622176}}

• mry193
    16 years ago

OK - I'm voting for the last one! I just love how the GG looks over the door! So, Oceana, have YOU made a decision?

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

I forgot about the green. But it doesn't matter because that's the one! It's perfect with the gallery glass and the faux wood painting on the garage doors and the front door. LOVE IT.

• decorpas
    16 years ago

Love it, Oceanna- also like how you have repeating squares with the window grids and concrete stain:-) a very nice meeting of the architecture with your style.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone. No, I haven't made up my mind yet Mari, and that's based partly on my uncertainty about my ability to make woodgraining look like the doors I've pictured here. I want to be sure that if I can't pull it off I can still make the house look great with a solid color on the doors as a backup plan.

Seems to me that the wood toned garage doors go better with the warm colors -- the tans and golds, or even the greens than with blue -- kinda like we think of our kitchen cabinet wood?

• mry193
    16 years ago

---Seems to me that the wood toned garage doors go better with the warm colors -- the tans and golds, or even the greens than with blue --

I've always been partial to blue so I may be a little biased, but I understand what you are saying and wish I could give some help or advice. I just don't have the color talent that others who visit here do. So, lets bump this up a little and see if we can get another opinion. :)

• deegw
    16 years ago

Squirrel - just go for it! Could you eBay the service to start? Have you thought about a price yet? Ask for business start up advice on here. I know there are plenty of knowledgeable people who might owe you a favor or two!

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Mari.

Squirrel... do you want to be an Interior Decorator? You sure could be one from what I've seen of your ideas!

Augh... I need to make up my mind on this soon.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

(whispers) blue, blue, blue, blue :-)

• paint_chips
    16 years ago

Oceanna, I woke up the other morning thinking about you and your new business.

If your area does community education classes during the summer, they usually beg for teachers. You should do a faux finishing class. You generally make a little money, but more importantly, the word of mouth is great.

Just a thought for you : )

• decorpas
    16 years ago

Squirrel would also make a great consultant for new construction company, helping clients pick exterior colors (as well as interior, obviously!).

Oceanna, I see what you mean about the warmer colors and the green with the woodtones, and as you know, that is my vote anyway, so I hardly think I am being unbiased! I just thought those colors brought out your style-- the warmth and friendliness of you:-)

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sarah -- hehehe

Paint Chips -- turns out the potential partner gives lip service to being interested but has failed to return calls or answer emails. Methinks she's too young and/or not in a position to take it seriously. I don't think I'm qualified to teach faux finishing, truly. If I teach anything it should be dog training and parrot training.

Decorpas -- Yes... Squirrel should be making lotsa' money for her obvious talents. I know the painter wants to do the whole house, but I'm thinking I'll just have him do the trim because money is tight. That will leave me the option to do the doors or not, at my leisure. I still keep looking at CL for a better front door. My measurements are strange on the existing one.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz