Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finished: Dining Room wall decor (plates, lampshades, etc.)

Posted by valinsv (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 1:57

Some of you may recall I had posted a few weeks ago about updating the wall decor in my dining room to incorporate some vintage plates from my Grandmas that I had been storing in a cabinet for many years but rarely used. I imagine some may think it's a tad busy, but it makes me smile every time I walk by and remember each of my grandmas in a special way. Thank you to all who weighed in with your votes and suggestions. It really helped!

This is what it looked like before:
 photo DSC02675_zps916abd62.jpg
This was my first attempt:

photo 20130227_121341_zpsdd89a95e.jpg

And this is what it looks like now:

photo DSC03023_zpsfb224f81.jpg

photo DSC03027_zpsdacfbde7.jpg

I even managed to find a spot for the egg plate on an adjacent wall:

photo DSC03031_zps375a63e1.jpg

DH was not thrilled to have to remount the mirror in the vertical direction as it's quite heavy. He never really suggests that I replace perfectly good items with something new, but he kept asking, did I want a newer, smaller (and lighter) mirror or just keep it in the same orientation.

I felt like I also needed a different centerpiece for the dining table for spring/summer so decided to use a crystal bowl with lemons temporarily until I find just the right thing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finished: Dining Room wall decor (plates, lampshades, etc.)

Val, there's no such thing as too busy, is there? I love a room filled w/stuff, makes it cozy and interesting. I like your finished room, especially the plates closer together. The egg plate might need a couple of friends to keep it company~it looks as tho it's floating. Smaller plates would be ok too~do you have any thrift stores near you? I like the use of the lemons too~carrying the yellow to the table 'works'. I agree, re:the bowl. Something footed to raise them up would be ideal, even a cake plate. I recently bought a silver plate one for $3.98. Can't beat that! Check out your thrift stores for goodies. ;o)

o

Well done!

o

I like the finished wall arrangement very much.

o

Very fresh and lovely. I am learning a lot from what you did. I am amazed at the difference the mirror change made. I love how the colors in the room became so much more inviting with just the small changes you made. The doves are my favorite, though.

o

The mirror looks more elegant hung vertically. I have noticed in a lot of posts that switching the direction of the mirror to vertical changed the look for the better, I am doing that with a mirror in my bedroom now. I love those no money improvements. I like the arrangement also.

o

Oh, well done!

Looks great.

I am always thrilled to have a convert to the vertical mirror. Just because we can't live at Versailles doesn't mean we can't learn from it!

Make your husband a martini, put on some music and a little Chanel #5, and make him glad he went to the trouble... ;>)

o

Looks beautiful! I like the doves too. :)

o

That's a great before/after. Before, pardon me, it was dowdy. Now it looks sophisticated.

One nit though ... Id get rid of the runner on the table. I think its a little out of date and isnt laying right (most of them don't it seems!)

o

oh it's lovely! well done! I love the spot for the egg plate too....

o

It looks perfect now - what a difference in the arrangement of the same items!

o

It looks great!
Nice spacing you used for the plates & framed prints around the mirror. I like the new shade color and the bowl of lemons on the table. The egg plate looks good in it's new spot, too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here