Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michoumonster

Need fun stripes for kids room

michoumonster
11 years ago

Hi all,
I have a lot of leftover benjamin moore edgecomb gray paint that I want to use for my kids' room (boy and girl will share). To make it fun, I want to do some horizontal stripes in other colors. Can you recommend some color combos to go with edgecomb gray? this is BM edgcomb grey

this is how I want to implement the different sized stripes, but not sure what colors to choose that will go well together. oh, and i have dark wood stained baseboards. Thank you for any suggestions!!

Modern Kids design by New York Interior Designer Amy Lau Design

Comments (21)

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

I might choose an orange a wee bit richer/browner than the one in your photo, and either a rich leafy green or a strong clear purple. I'd stay away from a clear yellow - warm gray-beige like that looks dingy next to it, and the gray makes the yellow look neon-ish and thin.

Something like Harvest Moon or Pumpkin Pie, and Vine Green or Jade Green for greens, or Darkest Grape or Dark Lilac for purples, for instance.

If I could figure out how to post the colors, I would ... anybody ...?

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thank you Bronwynsmom!
    I put the colors together. what do you think? do you think it feels too boyish and not unisex enough?

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    11 years ago

oddly, my toddlers, who usually never agree on anything, unanimously picked this stripe. It is too complicated for me to paint though, but perhaps a simpler version of it? Do you guys think it would work in a version with edgecomb grey?

• theclose
    11 years ago

It's funny your toddlers picked that fabric. My first thought with Edgecomb Gray was BM Bird's Egg, which is a beautiful pale aqua, similar to the color in that fabric. I think gray, aqua, orange would look great! I have Bird's Egg in my son's room and love it.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

I think your toddlers are smarter than I am!

Try using that blue and green, but in a simpler pattern, and with a red that is more orange. I do think the stripes in the fabric would drive you bonkers to do.

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    11 years ago

mamorella, thanks! the bird's egg blue is almost the perfect match to that fabric color. it has a very fresh look.
    bronwynsmom, my toddlers definitely have their own sense of style, not inherited from me! I figured for fun, I would let them pick their own room colors, and they both were very adamant about that particular stripey fabric. I have to scrap that first inspiration pic I posted because they both rejected it, despite my not-so-subtle recommendations to them, lol!

so I put in some more colors. Which orange, green and blue color do you guys think look good with the edgecomb gray? I prefer the aqua that mamorella suggested, but DH likes the baby blue. inspiration fabric on the left..

• theclose
    11 years ago

I like Pumpkin Pie and Bird's Egg. Love Sweet Vibrations too.

It will be a fun room!

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks mamorella, i agree with all your choices too! now off to the paint store!

• theclose
    11 years ago

Here is a pic of my son's room. You can see that Bird's Egg is different in various lights. It really is a gorgeous color. We are moving and will be using it again.

{{!gwi}}

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    11 years ago

mamorella, thanks for the pic! the bird's egg blue looks really good with your dark wood furniture, which is what we have also.
    have fun decorating your new home!

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi all,
    I just wanted to share a pic of how my kid's room stripes turned out. Still have to figure out carpet now. Thank you to Bronwynsmom and Mamorella for all of the color suggestions!

• lazydaisynot
    11 years ago

Wow, you did a beautiful job! What a fun room.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

That looks great!
    Well done.

• vickij
    11 years ago

Great job!

• bestyears
    11 years ago

Oh that's fabulous!
    Love it!

• maddielee
    11 years ago

love it! Well done!

ML

• anitamo
    11 years ago

Looks great! I can tell it wasn't easy, but you did a great job on lining up the stripes
    and color choices.

• theclose
    11 years ago

It looks fabulous!!! What a great room. I am sure the children will love it. Congrats on a great job!

• Lyban zone 4
    11 years ago

That is such a great room for kids.
    Please share all the details:
    How long to do?
    What brand of tape?
    What order did you paint in?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

LOL I used to have those throw pillows (the ones your kids picked out). I still like them...

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks everyone! I was happy with how it turned out.
    i think my kids will enjoy their new room.

mtnrdredux, would love to know where you got your pillows. i just found that stripe pic that my toddlers picked out online, so didn't know where it came from. That would be a nice touch to have matching pillows!

lyban, sorry, I didn't do the actual painting. we used our GC's paint guy because DH didn't trust me, LOL! it was probably better as that room would never have gotten done so quickly if I had done it!. but i was going to do it following the tips I found on this blog. HTH

Here is a link that might be useful: painting stripes tips

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!