Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need fun stripes for kids room

Posted by michoumonster (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 7, 13 at 1:54

Hi all,
I have a lot of leftover benjamin moore edgecomb gray paint that I want to use for my kids' room (boy and girl will share). To make it fun, I want to do some horizontal stripes in other colors. Can you recommend some color combos to go with edgecomb gray? this is BM edgcomb grey

this is how I want to implement the different sized stripes, but not sure what colors to choose that will go well together. oh, and i have dark wood stained baseboards. Thank you for any suggestions!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need fun stripes for kids room

I might choose an orange a wee bit richer/browner than the one in your photo, and either a rich leafy green or a strong clear purple. I'd stay away from a clear yellow - warm gray-beige like that looks dingy next to it, and the gray makes the yellow look neon-ish and thin.

Something like Harvest Moon or Pumpkin Pie, and Vine Green or Jade Green for greens, or Darkest Grape or Dark Lilac for purples, for instance.

If I could figure out how to post the colors, I would ... anybody ...?

o

thank you Bronwynsmom!
I put the colors together. what do you think? do you think it feels too boyish and not unisex enough?

o

oddly, my toddlers, who usually never agree on anything, unanimously picked this stripe. It is too complicated for me to paint though, but perhaps a simpler version of it? Do you guys think it would work in a version with edgecomb grey?

o

It's funny your toddlers picked that fabric. My first thought with Edgecomb Gray was BM Bird's Egg, which is a beautiful pale aqua, similar to the color in that fabric. I think gray, aqua, orange would look great! I have Bird's Egg in my son's room and love it.

o

I think your toddlers are smarter than I am!

Try using that blue and green, but in a simpler pattern, and with a red that is more orange. I do think the stripes in the fabric would drive you bonkers to do.

o

mamorella, thanks! the bird's egg blue is almost the perfect match to that fabric color. it has a very fresh look.
bronwynsmom, my toddlers definitely have their own sense of style, not inherited from me! I figured for fun, I would let them pick their own room colors, and they both were very adamant about that particular stripey fabric. I have to scrap that first inspiration pic I posted because they both rejected it, despite my not-so-subtle recommendations to them, lol!

so I put in some more colors. Which orange, green and blue color do you guys think look good with the edgecomb gray? I prefer the aqua that mamorella suggested, but DH likes the baby blue. inspiration fabric on the left..

o

I like Pumpkin Pie and Bird's Egg. Love Sweet Vibrations too.

It will be a fun room!

o

thanks mamorella, i agree with all your choices too! now off to the paint store!

o

Here is a pic of my son's room. You can see that Bird's Egg is different in various lights. It really is a gorgeous color. We are moving and will be using it again.

jamie's room photo sparebedroom.jpg

o

mamorella, thanks for the pic! the bird's egg blue looks really good with your dark wood furniture, which is what we have also.
have fun decorating your new home!

o

Hi all,
I just wanted to share a pic of how my kid's room stripes turned out. Still have to figure out carpet now. Thank you to Bronwynsmom and Mamorella for all of the color suggestions!

photo ScreenShot2013-04-08at103921AM_zps51c189ad.png

o

Wow, you did a beautiful job! What a fun room.

o

That looks great!
Well done.

o

Great job!

o

Oh that's fabulous!
Love it!

o

love it! Well done!

ML

o

Looks great! I can tell it wasn't easy, but you did a great job on lining up the stripes
and color choices.

o

It looks fabulous!!! What a great room. I am sure the children will love it. Congrats on a great job!

o

That is such a great room for kids.
Please share all the details:
How long to do?
What brand of tape?
What order did you paint in?

o

LOL I used to have those throw pillows (the ones your kids picked out). I still like them...

o

thanks everyone! I was happy with how it turned out.
i think my kids will enjoy their new room.

mtnrdredux, would love to know where you got your pillows. i just found that stripe pic that my toddlers picked out online, so didn't know where it came from. That would be a nice touch to have matching pillows!

lyban, sorry, I didn't do the actual painting. we used our GC's paint guy because DH didn't trust me, LOL! it was probably better as that room would never have gotten done so quickly if I had done it!. but i was going to do it following the tips I found on this blog. HTH

Here is a link that might be useful: painting stripes tips

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here