Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jessmhow

Need advice on bathroom..

jessmhow
10 years ago

So we bought our house about two years ago, and now that our wedding is over..its time to decorate. :) So this is our master bathroom, I have attempted a panoramic picture for ya.ll :) I love neutral colors, and this green color was in the bathroom when we bought it. I.m happy with it, so for now it stays. They had white and silver pulls and faucets...which I have already began changing out, along with the towel racks, toilet paper holder and hand towel rings. My issue is there is still a lot of white. The sink and garden tub actually a cream/ivory color, but the floors, and all the cabinets are white. So my thought was this.... paint all the cabinets a light tan/beige color, then use the wallpaper you see draped over door on the cabinet doors. Just on the inside center pieces. This is a textured wallpaper...but I didn't do a good job of getting a picture to really show it. the papers description says woven..if that helps. one thing I am not sure of is if I paint the cabinets, what do I do with the baseboard. It is also white.

So another issue is doing something with this huge window. I love the sunlight that comes in it but it is so plain right now. I do have a few materials/fabrics already in the room, which all seem to be natural. There is some tweed on one of the picture frames, the baskets, hampers, and trash bins are wicker, and I have some rocks with the candles and I am making another rock art to put in. Both pics in there now are water pics, one crashing wave and one of a wooden pier at a lake. I'd like to stay on this natural, neutral, relaxing, spa-like theme...so if you could help that would be awesome!!

Comments (31)

• jessmhow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

panoramic picture of bathroom

• jessmhow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

wallpaper

• jessmhow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

wallpaper texture

• amykath
    10 years ago

I think that is a great idea! You will just want to be sure the paper does not start to warp due to the humidity in the bathroom. I think it will look great! Very cool idea.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

The wallpaper is beautiful, but I had the same thought as aktillery: make sure it can withstand dampness.

I also think that, if you go with that wall paper, painting the vanity beige might not be such a good idea. Too much beige. It sounds and looks like you're going for a Tahitian feel, in which case I would paint the vanity a very dark, rich chocolate brown to give a stark but earthy contrast to the wallpaper; stainless steel pulls to give it a contemporary, spa look; paint the wood trim in the same chocolate brown but high gloss; put a fake orchid on the vanity in a bright purple or some other bright color; white towels and bath mats (again, for the spa look and feel).

• msrose
    10 years ago

I actually like the crisp clean look of the white cabinets and I like the green paint color also. I would probably leave it the way it is :)

• tuesday_2008
    10 years ago

I like your BR just as it is. You already have a nice, soothing, spa look. Your current look is somewhat my goal :).

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I, too, love your bathroom as is. I'd add some orchids, classy towels, rug, etc.

Or since you say you like a more relaxed, serene look, I'd try to go for a slightly beachy, driftwood look,

Maybe even with a greyish cabinet.

However, if you don't like it, then you should change it.
    Can you post pictures of bath rooms that speak to you?

• sundance510
    10 years ago

I'm drooling over your bathroom. Personally, I would change the faucets.... maybe to ORB to match your cabinet pulls. I would also replace the tan electrical covers with fresh white ones. Looks like your doorknob is brass... I would either spray paint or replace that. For me little things make a big difference! Oh and I would switch out the rug in front of the vanity for one (or two... not sure how large they make them) of those wooden spa mats in a dark tone to match your hamper and provide contrast. Not sure how you feel about giving up warm and fuzzy under your feet in the morning though :)

I do like the wallpaper, but as Tibbrix said, if you go with that, don't paint the vanity beige as well. I'm just tossing this out there... maybe put the wallpaper only on the bathtub wall? It would add some interest to that wall and the blue is so pretty and soothing. I'm just beginning my design journey though, so I'm not sure if that would be a good design move.

• sundance510
    10 years ago

Oh, I would also replace the big mirror with white framed ones over each sink. I know you are trying to move away from the white, but I think they would echo what you have going on with the window over there.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

If you do go with the Tahitian thing and that wallpaper, how about an indoor/outdoor rug?

Here's one from Plow and Hearth I think would be beautiful with that wallpaper and chocolate brown vanity. Plow and Hearth has a great selection of indoor/outdoor rugs.

• jessmhow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey ya.ll! thanks so much for all the advice, and all the lovely compliments. We do love our bathroom also, but still just doesn't feel like "US" yet. I honestly didn't even think about the wallpaper warping because of the moisture. And I have never paid much attention to how dewy it gets in there, I am gonna keep an eye out. I know of mirror have never fogged up so that has to be good. :)

I love the picture posted of the Tahitian bathroom. And its the warmth that draws me to it. It looks cozy and romantic. The thought of painting the cabinets dark (honestly) scared me at first, but I started looking at the color of the little shelf and I don't think I would mind it. I did have a concern with the color of our counters in contrast to a dark cabinet...wouldn't it be to stark in change?

I have thought about driftwood also, but just a small amount. like in a piece of art. But when I had seen the prices I thought they were high and had planned to scope out the beach on our vacation this summer. :)

So..Sundance :).... here is the thing about the faucets :) I had a complete brain fart and didn't even think about them till I had already changed all the pulls. I went to use the sink and had that something is off thought...then it hit me!! these dang faucets didn't match!! And I started looking and I had no clue that the price could be so high... esp since I have a shower, two sinks and one Jacuzzi. All of the pulls are in venetian bronze and I have not found decently priced ones that match the pulls with out being to flowy(girly to me) or to blocky/square (masculine). So now I am at a stand still with these dang faucets :)

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I think you should go for that Tahitian look. It's cozy, romantic - as you say - beautiful, and unique! Everyone had white and blue/green bathrooms!

A white countertop on your vanity will be fine on a dark brown vanity because the tub and toilet will also be white enamel. Put a large indoor/outdoor rug that compliments the Tahitian thing down, since the tile floor won't work at all for that design, IMO.

You've already got the look started, first with the little cabinet with the basket in it, and then with your choice of wallpaper, which, if okay for a bathroom would be amazing, I think.

Also paint the wood trim - baseboards, etc., chocolate brown as well.

Get some great lighting in there, and voila! Stunning bathroom! I think your idea is a great one.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Stikwood? Reclaimed wood for about 240.000 for 20 sqft.

[Eclectic Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2104) by Sacramento Paint & Wall Coverings Stikwood

You can also stick it on cabinets....

Here is a link that might be useful: Stikwood

• jessmhow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So I winged it and wallpapered the wall near the tub. I think it turned out good. But I have never wall papered anything and ended it up with glue in my hair and on everything. My first strip took almost 25 mins to hang and cut....it was a long afternoon. :)

Also I came across a cant pass deal on a brown rug...but I just don't know. i also tried it out in the living room, in front of our love seat

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Is that the same wallpaper as above? It looks peachy in the pic, not rustic and straw like. Just the pic?

Pics of the rug?

Can you take another pic of the wallpaper but with the lights on?

• jessmhow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

wall paper

• jessmhow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I also found these leaf things today at hobby lobby

• jessmhow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

rug

• jessmhow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

again

• sundance510
    10 years ago

You've been busy!!

The wallpaper is more pink than it originally looked. What does it look like in natural light? It might just be my computer screen and not actually look like that in person.

Were you still planning on painting the vanity dark brown? If so, I think that the rug needs to be something colorful or that has a pattern. I also think the rug needs to be bigger, especially if you're going to stay with the wallpaper. On my screen, the wallpaper is reading as a pinky beige and the tiles look like they have yellow undertones. So... you need to get a fun rug that covers up most of the floor.

• jessmhow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I went looking at paint today and found bracken by pantone universe. it looks like a dark chocolate color. But I cant seem to get a good pic of it either. i will post the best two. i didn't tell my husband about wall papering the bathroom so i am gonna wait to talk to him about the paint :) I think that painting the cabinets and bash boards brown will look great. And that's what I will be gently pushing :) I think i have repurposed the rug into another room so I am back to my cream one.

in the bathroom the color is tan...i don't see any pink or peachy tones.

• jessmhow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

paint color

• kswl2
    10 years ago

Jessmhow, really like the wallpaper on the walls instead of cabinets! (Wallpaper insets in cabinet doors is a very dated look.) IMO there is no need for those leafy things on either side of the window, there is already a lot going on on that wall.

You have a very good sized, good condition bathroom. It you decide to paint the cabinets that dark expresso color is in right now., so you're right on target with the color. A rug in front of the sink, wallpapered walls, a framed mirror over the sink to replace the existing one, and really good quality towels will all be good updates for your bathroom. I would stay away from theme decorating unless your entire home ---or at least some other area---is similar.

Edited because I did not see that walls had been papered, thought that was paint, sorry!

This post was edited by kswl on Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 10:04

• User
    10 years ago

Jess,
    I love that dark paint color. It looks awesome next to the green wall color.
    I liked your brown rug. I think it looked really good and took up enough of the floor to look like it fit.
    What are you painting the chocolate brown? Your vanity cabinet? Are you going to paint the two white cabinets by the tub that color also?
    And the window, is it frosted? I was just wondering.
    The wallpaper looks great, and the decorative leaves are beautiful.

• jessmhow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you. Yes I would like to paint all the cabinets and base boarding in this brown color. I think it is beautiful. I think the white cabinets are out of place and the dark brown would bring the whole room together. I also would like to remove the mirror and put up two individual ones. But it seems my list for things i want to change keeps getting bigger and bigger :)

I do plan to paint the window frame, but the actually window parts are still going to be white. And yes the window is already frosted. I have no idea on a window dressing...curtains, shears, maybe roman blind...i.m confused. :/

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Relieved to hear the wallpaper is the straw color and not the peachy/pink it appears to be in the photos! Did you investigate putting wallpaper up in bathrooms? There might be a specific glue you should use, for instance, which can withstand dampness and keep the wallpaper from peeling.

Are you going to do all of the walls in the paper? I hate to add to the labor, but personally, I think you should. It's beautiful paper and that Tahitian thing would be so beautiful.

LOVE the chocolate browns you've picked. Make sure they don't have purple or raisin-y undertones and are truly chocolate, i.e.: black undertones.

Also agree that the rug wouldn't work. Too much dark brown. Also not sure about a shag rug in a bathroom, what with hair and powder and all kinds of small stuff floating around. I think you want a rug that is easy to vacuum and can withstand dampness, hence my suggestion you get an indoor/outdoor rug. I think that rug from Plow & Hearth I put up would be so gorgeous with that wallpaper and that brown. Do check out Plow & Heart indoor/outdoor rugs. They have an amazing selection. Also, a LARGE rug.

Not a fan of the leaves on the wall, but if you love them, they should stay.

I'd also take the ceiling fan out and just put a nice light up there. Maybe something like this:

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Instead of the leaves, how about something like this on each side. Easy to make with reclaimed wood, would look gorgeous, get a couple of pretty candle holders, and voila! Romantic and in line with the style you're going for!

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Jess, also check out the indoor/outdoor rugs at Lowes. They have some that have that jute look which would look great in your room, and they're a lot less expensive than the Plow & Hearth rugs.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I did this to my ceiling fans. In your case, you'd need a shade with three "bars". All the stuff is sold at Home Depot or Lowe's.

I probably would go for a more rustic looking shade.

Here is a link that might be useful: adding drum shade to ceiling fan

• kswl2
    10 years ago

Thanks for posting that link, nosoccermom. I am going to try that in son's room!

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz