Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn_r_ct

Free Paint at Ace!!!!!!

lynn_r_ct
12 years ago

Don't know if this is nationwide, but the local stations in CT have been showing an ad indicating that Ace will be offering a free quart of their 2 in 1 paint on Saturday. It is a Clark & Kensington brand which I have never heard of but heck, I love free!

Comments (21)

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

will have to check it out in my area - thx!

• rufinorox
    12 years ago

Heard the same in NY/NJ area

• movinginva
    12 years ago

Yes they are! Or at least that's what the lady in the paint department told me. It started last week and of course I made it there too late (about noon) so it was all gone. She said that they were doing it every Saturday in March. They only give away 40 quarts each Saturday. I plan on heading over there this week again.
    Southeastern VA area.

• moonshadow
    12 years ago

I'm in the Midwest and just got an email from my local Ace for a freebie quart of this new brand (says it's paint + primer). Faron can probably tell us more about it if he sees this thread.

• lascatx
    12 years ago

I've been trying to figure out what I can do with just a quart.......

• andreadeg
    12 years ago

Thank you for posting this! My sister is trying to choose a color for her bedroom so she can go get a quart and try a color as a large scale patch! Look out Ace, here we come!

• moonshadow
    12 years ago

I've been trying to figure out what I can do with just a quart.......

Chair, small chest, odd little jobs. I bought a gallon to do a rocking chair (special paint not sold in quarts). Two coats and I barely put a dent in what was in the can. I think a quart is enough to do a small vanity, too. (It's been years, but am almost positive it took just shy of the whole quart for 2 coats -after priming.)

• lynn_r_ct
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks movinginva... I know to get their early before they run out. We have two Ace stores within 7 miles of one another - think I will try to hit them both. Maybe I can get my daughter to go with me, and pretend I don't know her (she is 20 so there are days when... LOL) for 2 more free quarts.

• HIWTHI
    12 years ago

A quart is great for a furniture painting project.

• Faron79
    12 years ago

We tinted ~ 150 Qts. last Sat.!!

It's an INTERIOR FLAT though. DON'T use it for furniture, trim, etc.

Yes-
    The new C&K label is new from ACE. They still make their OWN paint in Chicago!
    The C&K name came from the 2 street-corners where the 1st "ACE" store was!

Faron

• lynn_r_ct
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Pooh!!! The two hardware stores near me are True Value and not Ace as I had thought. Unfortunately, if I went to the Ace stores near me, I would spend more in gas then the price of a quart of paint. Oh well, I hope there are more of you out there that can take advantage of this. Lynn fr CT

• HIWTHI
    12 years ago

Faron, I had them tint mine black today and I'm going to use it as a primer on a furniture piece I'm painting black. That should be OK, right?

We want to give Ace's paints a try. Benjamin Moore is pricing themselves out of business. They want $50 for a gallon of eggshell paint and that's not their top of the line. It's great paint but becomiong cost prohibitive.

How does Ace paint compare with Benjamin Moore's?

My store had cases and cases of the paint and also had a tear pad right there on the counter. The form I printed out and brought in wasn't even necessary.

Faron, are they going to have this offer next weekend also? My store had it last weekend and this weekend.

• cindyandmocha
    12 years ago

They're doing it here in TN too this weekend for sure. I'm off to grab some to test in my bedroom as well.

• ghostlyvision
    12 years ago

Ours had it in interior flat enamel, I just got the quart in white figuring I can tint it with the craft enamel paints I have. I have some leftover metal flashing that I'm going to try to make old-style tin signs for the kitchen, this paint should come in really handy for that. :)

• rafor
    12 years ago

Every Sat in March. But go early since they run out of the lighter base first. That's what happened to me today so they told me to come in next Sat since they were doing it all over again.

• Faron79
    12 years ago

HI HIWTHI-

No....paint is not primer!!!
    (oooooppss....did I just say that....;-0)

> Also-
    Flat PAINT makes a bad primer....sorry!
    You're not "wrong" to do it, but in this case, there's better choices.
    > Also II-
    Flat paint shouldn't be anywhere NEAR furniture...;-)
    > Also III-
    A TINTED black will take maybe a MONTH or more to fully cure through, because of the high colorant load.
    > Also IV-
    ACE v. BM...I'll put the 2 top ACE lines up against 90% of BM's stuff. The Regals & AURA are better, especially AURA. It SHOULD be...for $60-ish/gallon!
    * That stuff makes our C2 look cheap! After a couple price increases though, C2 has now hit the $50/gal. barrier for some bases....ugh.

If it's bare wood, AND because it's furniture, use a different primer.

Faron

• HIWTHI
    12 years ago

Thanks for the advice Faron, I shall follow it and not use it on the furniture pieces. Now what do I use it on? Hhhmmmm, not a clue. LOL

• ghostlyvision
    12 years ago

I wonder if you could use it to make home-made chalk paint?

• HIWTHI
    12 years ago

ghostlyvision that thought came to me being it's flat paint, but I'm not sure how it would work.

I remembered I do have some other small crafty projects I could use the paint on. I'm not letting it go to waste that's for sure.

• ghostlyvision
    12 years ago

Me either, free paint doesn't come along every day. lol

The only thing I know about enamels for sure is they won't cure on items like polymer clay, I would suppose that might go for all plastic things, but it does seem to be a natural base for chalk paint. Good luck with it, HIWTHI.

• Faron79
    12 years ago

Remember "Guys"...

"Enamel" is a meaningless term relative to paint! It's always been only a "Marketing" label, slapped on everything from paint to nail-polish to appliance paints to the coating on your teeth.......ad-infinitum.....

Sadly, many people think it's some "magical" ingredient!

Faron