Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valinsv

Do you think my3dogs valances would work in a bay configuration?

Valerie Noronha
15 years ago

I've been debating if I should make some valances for my office and am wondering a combination of a curtain rod like Parma's with three my3dog valances would work. My windows trim-to-trim are 39"W x 50"H with 5" from the end of the trim to each corner.

My office is so small it's difficult to get a single shot of all three windows, but you get the idea:

I'd use a rod similar to what Parma has in this picture:

And one of my3dogs's valances:

I would make three and put one per window.

Then I wonder if doing three all together is going to look too fussy and I should leave it as is. For point of reference, the office is basically a nook off of the master bedroom so I don't want it to look too businessey.

Comments (21)

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    15 years ago

I'd actually treat them as three separate windows, if you decided to use that treatment, using individual rods. It's just my opinion, but I feel the style looks best used singly, rather than looking as if they are joined together over the three windows, especially since you have space between them.

• yayagal
    15 years ago

I think if you kept it simple and less ornate it could work. I'd find something in a green tone to reflect the outdoors.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

my3dogs: I was hoping you'd chime in. I went over your directions last night and I think my windows are about the right size for the 54" panels. So three spearate rods, not one? Any suggestion about which type of rod would work well? The finials would practically be touching one another with the angles--esp. when they sit out 3-4" from the wall. As a ballpark, if I measure straight across about 4" out from the wall, I get 9" from trim-to-trim between the windows. Think like a triangle with the 9" the measurement straight across.

yayagal: I agree not too ornate. I want something in green and to bring in some red and/or purple.

• ronbre
    15 years ago

i think it would look nice, if that is what you like i think you should do it..i think you have plenty of closeness to the windows to where if you have them so that the rods will nearly touch without finials hanging over, you should be able to get a solid valence if that is the look you want..otherwise do as said above and treat them as three separate windows

• Lyban zone 4
    15 years ago

valinsv,
    I love your office. I remember when you were trying to decide on the desk built-ins. The room looks good.
    I also love My3dogs valance but I would also treat each window seperate and use just planin rods like this so the only thing showing is the valance.

{{!gwi}}

• tinam61
    15 years ago

I was thinking just what My3dogs said, treat each window seperately. I think it would look great! I would love to see a decorative rod, although nothing too fancy, but I see what you mean and am not sure that would work. The rods above should.

tina

• User
    15 years ago

I like the idea of separate valances too. Are you going to go with the Bosporus fabric? I think I remember reading that in your other post. Or something more plain?

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

lyban: Thanks for the compliments on my office and rod suggestion. I hadn't considered that type. I definitely want to do 3 separate treatments--even with a bay window rod, there would be the rod showing between the treatments.

shee: I'm thinking of using the Bosporus fabric. I've admired it since I first found out about and would love to use it somewhere. I'm going to order a sample of it, first since I need to make sure it'll go with my walls since I don't plan to repaint. Did you ever get around to doing one for your kitchen?

Well I went to BBB today and bought a rod similar to Parma's. They say it is for bay windows. I would still treat it as 3 separate windows with 3 separate valances. I figured I could always return it. I prefer to have a simple decorative rod--but the thought of the finials almost touching seems odd to me. Perhaps I just need to a see a picture of the application because all the bay window treatments I've seen have been with a single rod.

Here is a what the rod looks like:

I also thought it would go with the rod that is in my master bedroom of which the office is directly off of:

• User
    15 years ago

Val - I made a valance for the kitchen but didn't get to order the Bosporus fabric for the bathroom one. I'm going to paint the kitchen and DR area this weekend so I'll post a pic when I'm all done. Still need to put trim on the kitchen valance but wanted to wait until the paint went up.

I like the rod you bought. Isn't the whole thing one piece? You said about "the thought of the finials almost touching seems odd to me" ?

Why are there highlighted words with links attached in the above? I'm looking at my preview and where I typed "kitchen" is highlighted?

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yeah, the bay window rod is all one piece. I was debating between this rod or three separate rods (which is what some here suggested). While I have room for three rods, the finials would be very close to one another which is what I thought was strange. I think I'm going to use this one since it is made for bay windows. Unlike Parma's those corner sections of the rod would show since I'll be putting up 3 separate WTs.

Do show a picture of your valance. Did you do the my3dogs style? Hers are all stunning, but I'd like to see other examples as well. I'm going to order a sample of the Bosporus--in both colorways to see which one goes better.

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    15 years ago

I think your rod will work IF you do valances with tabs, the reason being that SOME rod will show all the way across. If you do a rod pocket like my3dogs, the rod will show only between the windows, and I think that will look rather "OFF".

• User
    15 years ago

Val - Here's the valance. It is like My3dogs. My window is smaller than the examples she gave so I had to judge how much material. I wish it were a little fuller. It looked like so much fabric though! I have since messed with it more and it looks better. This was from the night I put it up. Like I said I'll be adding trim. I did buy gold (see pic) but I think green with gold would look nice I just can't find any that's the right colors. This was the first thing I ever made.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• sallymo2015
    15 years ago

{{!gwi}}

val, this is not a good representation of the bosporus toile (and maybe you wanted the blue and red one) but I did want you to reconsider using the bay rod. I also think each window treated by itself without any rod inbetween is the best look. Returns would be nice too, which would mean make the valance an extra few inches on each side to go back towards the wall, mount on the el-cheapo rods and they'll look the best. I usually mount on a board and staple to top and around the 2 1/2 inch sides, but the oval rodding will look the same. Take the bay rod back and spend that money on something else!
    sorry the valance is sloppy looking, I put two pieces of a valance together, and just very quickly. Yours would look better!

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

shee: That looks very nice for a first attempt. I think the trim will really dress it up. You could just glue it on with a glue gun. How wide did you make it? I was thinking of just doing the whole 54" width for 39" window trim-to-trim. From experience I know you need to do extra to get that fullness.

sallymo: Wow, that looks very nice. Thanks for mocking it up. It does make a case in point for separate rods. I've not opened anything up yet. I will need to make the valances first. Can you describe the method with the board and staple? Is that instead of a rod? I've been considering both toiles, though am now leaning towards the Wilderness toile with the pheasants. I thought the birds would be a better gender neutral choice. I ordered some fabric samples today.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wilderness toile

• sallymo2015
    15 years ago

The wilderness toile is very pretty, also. I did a quick search online and noticed there are some little how-to videos on youtube. I'm linking to one that shows something similar to my board mounts, although she quits just before she finishes the ends (returns) and does them a bit different than I do, but maybe I need to try something different. The gal also does more videos that explain how to cover the board, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: how to staple a curtain to a board

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    15 years ago

Val, It's so funny that you're considering the Wilderness toile, as that is what I made my office panels from. I LOVE it for fall and winter! It's beautiful, and does have a bit of a sage green in it. I agree that the rods that lyban showed above would be fine, and very inexpensive.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

my3dogs: I've always liked that pattern, though have only seen it in person in the brighter colorway. For my room I would use the cedar which I think you have in your office as well.

Your curtains look so warm, yet elegant. Do you think the scale of the print would lend itself to your valance? How much yardage do you think I'd need for 3 valances? I'd like to get some extra and make 1-2 pillows for my bed as well. I ordered a swatch today and would like to pair it with a stripe to make cushions for my chairs. Do you think it would coordinate with any of these fabrics?

• User
    15 years ago

Val - I used the 54" wide. I don't remember what length I ended up going with. I have extra fabric so maybe after my seat cushions are made hopefully I can try again.

I love that wilderness toile fabric and think it would look great in your office. I really like the first and last stripe for cushions.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    15 years ago

Yes, I do think it would be fine for valances. In fact, I have used another Kaufmann print called 'Ottomani' with elephants on it for valances in my bedroom that is the same scale.

I typically use 1 to 1 1/4 yards for each valance. The 54" width is perfect for your windows. You will need to order extra for matching the repeat from window to window, as well as for your pillows.

If you look on Fabric Guru at the picture of the fabric with the ruler on it, you'll see that the pheasant print alternates with another of two different birds. You don't know where their 'cut' will start, so since it's so reasonable there, I'd personally order a minimum of 5 yards, since you need 3.75 for your valances, and you'll need extra for that to match prints, and then extra for your pillows.

Sitting here looking at the fabric 'in person', and your stripe choices, to my eye, your first stripe fabric is the one I would use, given those choices.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

my3dogs: Thanks for the yardage advice. I really like this fabric, but will wait for my sample to come in. I'm not really sold on any of the striped fabrics. It's difficult to judge the weight/texture online. I also considered the other Kaufmann print with the elephants on it you mentioned.

• Lyban zone 4
    15 years ago

Since this is for valances only and not drapes, would you not be better off to make your chair cushions matching the valances. Or is there a reason not to do this. I do not think it would be overkill because you have a small room and I would stay with one print.