Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purrparlor

My weekend beadboard wallpaper project/laundry room (pics)

annkathryn
14 years ago

My son and I spent the weekend refacing cabinets in the laundry room and upstairs hall using sheesharee's inspiration post as a starting point. I purchased wallpaper that looks like beadboard, some moulding, spackle and wood glue, and a $25 miter saw from Craig's List. I had some leftover semi-gloss (KM Swiss Coffee). I did the wallpaper and paint while my son handled the miter saw. We didn't have enough clamps to glue the moulding to more than one door at a time, and since the glue took 30 minutes to set it all took a while.

The steps are all documented in sheesharee's link below, as well as in Rhoda's blog that she's linked. If anyone has any questions I'll be glad to answer them

It's not a perfect job, but we're very happy with the change from boring to polished.

Still to do: some touch-up painting of the woodwork, add door knobs, and repaint the walls of the laundry room.

Before - boring doors:

The laundry chute door:

After wallpaper, adding moulding

After:

Laundry chute door:

Here is a link that might be useful: Sheesharee's original post

Comments (45)

• annkathryn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I forgot to add this last picture of the upstairs hall (before). We're not done with this yet, will finish it tomorrow.

• les917
    14 years ago

A wonderful change. I bet you are thrilled.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

What an awesome job AK!

• kiko_gw
    14 years ago

Wow, great job! It really makes a big difference. Here's an easy idea to 'hide' the water/power hook-ups too. You'll have to scroll down to the bottom for the pics.

Here is a link that might be useful: Idea to Hide Hook-Ups

• polly929
    14 years ago

That looks fabulous! I had white laminate cabinets in my first house that I desperately wanted to change, wish I would have known about this forum back then.
    Enjoy your fresh new cabinets!

• homebodymom
    14 years ago

What a wonderful project! I would never have known it was wallpaper. I had beadboard in my last home, and never get tired of seeing it.

• ttodd
    14 years ago

What a transformation! Can you tell me what beadboard wallpaper is? It looks like there are real grooves in it. This would be good to know as I'm pushing for beadboard in my kitchen.

• 4boys2
    14 years ago

ttodd
    Check this site out ...
    All beadboard wallpaper is not equal. I purchased a cheap brand and when I painted most of the groves disappeared ..

annkathryn
    I would really like to know what paper brand you used and where you got it from....GREAT JOB !!
    Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: http://southernhospitalityblog.com/beadboard-wallpaper-project/

• prill
    14 years ago

That looks wonderful. Great job.

• megsy
    14 years ago

That looks awesome!

• User
    14 years ago

It looks really great! The trim gave it the finishing touch!

What color knobs will be you adding?

• DLM2000-GW
    14 years ago

I love this kind of makeover! So much can be done if you have the courage - and a few tools ;-)

• bac717
    14 years ago

That is incredible!! I have to take a closer look at the laminate doors in my laundry room to see if I may be able to the same thing.

I don't know what you have in mind, but I saw knobs similar to this on a recent housewalk. These are very pricey, but with a little more searching, you may find something at a lower cost. Scroll down to see the shirt and socks cabinet knobs.

Here is a link that might be useful: cabinet knobs

• artlover13060
    14 years ago

Beautiful job! I missed Sheesharee's post about this, but will be sure to read it.

• annkathryn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for the nice comments.

I ordered the wallpaper from Home Depot online (link is below). I've never wallpapered before (only stripped!) but I thought it was very easy to work with.

I've been thinking for years about adding a counter - thanks for that idea of the plywood one + pictures to hide the water hookups.

I bought some plain satin nickel knobs from Lowes along with some slightly nicer ones with a leaf design. I'm not sure about either one, which is why I haven't drilled the holes yet. What do you think about the birdcage kind?

Love the knobs shaped like shirts and shorts!

Here is a link that might be useful: White paintable wallpaper from Home Depot

• jlc712
    14 years ago

Wow, I am so impressed! That is a wonderful improvement. You should be so proud.

I like either of the round knobs, don't like the birdcage knobs with the beadboard.

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

annkathryn, you and your son did a great job on that project!

I'm curious about the wallpaper you got at HD, if you don't mind? It's been probably 5 years ago someone here was doing a beadboard wallpaper project, but it was going on their walls (dining room, I think) with chair rail. I ordered a sample from the company where that member had gotten their wallpaper. It was a bit thicker than normal wallpaper and had almost, but not quite, a soft spongy feel to it. Is that what the wallpaper from Home Depot was like as well? Or was it more like 'regular' wallpaper in thickness? Thanks for any info, I have a couple small projects I'd like to try this on, and if it works out tackle some bigger ones.

Just love how creative you ladies have gotten with this!

• annkathryn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

moonshadow, yes this was thicker than regular wallpaper and did have a spongy feel to it. I can mail you a small piece if you'd like, or you can just order it from HD and return it if you don't think it will work for you.

DH thinks the laundry room needs porcelain knobs, so DS and I are off to Lowes to take another look.

• kiko_gw
    14 years ago

I agree round knobs would be best (or maybe glass ones like these from eBay if you want a little sparkle).

P.S. I'm supposed to be doing our taxes ... it's so tedious I keep coming over here for entertainment.

Here is a link that might be useful: Simple Glass Knobs

• ruthy1
    14 years ago

Awesome job! How do you think it will hold up? I would like to do this to my bathroom cupboards, if it would hold up to lots of use. Does the raised part push in?

• annkathryn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ruthy1 I hope it holds up, but this is a very small laundry room with one door out to the garage and the other to the main part of the house. We close both doors when we do the laundry and so it's often very humid in the room. I need it to hold up as long as it takes to sell the house (we'll be putting it on the market this fall or next spring).

Does the raised part push in?
    I'm not really sure what you mean, the moulding? It's all very solid - nothing's moving.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    14 years ago

Great job! I love beadboard, and it looks great with the sunshiney walls. You must be happy every time you see it.

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

WOW!! That greatly enhanced the look of the LR. That's what I call a lot a bang for your buck.

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

ak, thanks for the response and sweet of you to offer to mail me a piece! (Gotta love the helpful peeps at GW.) What you have sounds essentially like what I got long ago and can't recall now where it came from. (That sample is kicking around here somewhere.) Now that I know it's probably the same, I'll feel comfortable going through Home Depot when I'm ready! Thanks! ;D

• annkathryn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It took a little longer than I had hoped, but I finished the hall cabinets this afternoon, maybe... Looking at this picture it seems that the frame might need a third coat (it wasn't primed).

I've spoken with the manager of a prefab granite place and can get a remnant cut to fit the top of the cabinet for only $65 ($50 for the granite and $15 for the cut). I need to create the template to bring to them, and also bring a larger sample of the wall paint to make sure the color works.

• lynniemilano
    14 years ago

Hey Sis! Whole thing looks great! Can't wait to see the granite top on the hallway cabs - a darker color will really set the piece off. Ciao!

• annkathryn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Lynnie! Thanks for stopping by to check out my little project.

I was thinking a lighter granite - the remnant I saw was Santa Cecelia but I think that might be too gray. I'll take another look this weekend.

Ciao!

• loribee
    14 years ago

So very impressed!
    Bright and cheery...you must be tickled to pieces~~

• megsy
    14 years ago

Truly a transformation!

• donnawb
    14 years ago

Wow! What a transformation and who would have thought it was wallpaper. Great job!!!!

• User
    14 years ago

Glad you posted a final photo. Looks really good.

Lets chat about that prefab granite remant for $65 for a second. :) Did you go to a place like Lowes? I need to check around the area for places. I'd love to replace my bathroom countertop. (30")

• mkwag
    14 years ago

Wow! I love it! We've been thinking of ways to update our white cabinets. I can't wait to show my husband your project. :)

• annkathryn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

There are dozens of prefab granite places not far from where I live on the San Francisco Peninsula. They often have small remnants in their boneyard that have front edges already laminated. These would otherwise go to waste, and are simple for them to cut. The most common edge is a bullnose, but the piece I saw has an ogee edge that I prefer.

In constrast, I had a fabricator price out the same counter using a (free) remnant from his yard, and the fabrication was $375!

• rhoda12_bellsouth_net
    14 years ago

So glad you tried the beadboard wallpaper!! I've been shouting it to the rooftops since last year when I first tried it & there have been so many bloggers using it too. This is a perfect application for it, on your cabinet doors. I've seen that done before, as well as trimming out a desk on the sides. I've used it on my kitchen cabinets (ends), as well as the bathroom cabinet ends and a small wall in a guest bath. I've got more plans for it too.

If any of you plan to buy it, I would love for you to check out my online shop at Open Sky and it's the same $$ as Home Depot online. Someone was right, there are different versions of this wallpaper & the Graham Brown version is the BEST. There's a link off my blog:

http://southernhospitalityblog.com/

Some of you may remember me from being on here for several years. Now I don't have time, my blog keeps me hopping. Please come by for a visit!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality

Here is a link that might be useful: Beadboard Wallpaper at Southern Hospitality

• hockeymom4
    14 years ago

Annkathryn do you have a photo of the side/edge of one of your cabinet doors? We have laminate cabinets I would love to trim with molding but I am not sure how the edges would look. Did you have to fill in the "crack" between cabinet and molding with some kind of wood filler before painting?

• Valerie Noronha
    14 years ago

Wonderful transformation! Was using the mitre saw difficult?

• lynninnewmexico
    14 years ago

Wow, great reno! I love your cabinet refacing. Why don't you fly here when yours is finished and help me with mine next? ;^D
    Lynn

• annkathryn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Rhoda - thanks for coming by to take a look. I referred to your blog as I did this project and it was incredibly helpful. Keep up the good work!

Hockeymom I'll take a picture of the edges and post it. You can kind of get an idea by looking at the picture above with the clamps. I glued the moulding on flush with the edge of the door. On one of the doors I think the moulding went a little over the edge because it rubbed a little against the door next to it when we rehung them. So my son sanded both edges a bit and I had to repaint, but it was fine. I did fill in the seam between the moulding and the original door. I used spackle pretty liberally, let it dry overnight, then sanded the next morning with an electric sander to get it smooth. I think Rhoda used caulk. Any place I missed got filled in pretty well with paint. It was a little easier to have the wallpaper go almost all the way to the edge of the door (that happened on the hall cabinet doors, but the laundry room doors were too wide for a single sheet to go entirely edge to edge).

valinsv - I was a little nervous about using the mitre saw, but my son (he's 19) stepped right up and started cutting angles with no problem. I had him do a couple of trial cuts first just to be sure that the 45 degrees was exact (it was). The guy we bought the saw from showed me how to use it. Next project for my son's summer break from college: baseboards!

Lynn I might have to go to Albuquerque in the next couple of weeks. I've seen the pictures you've posted of your beautiful house - I'd love to help, but you're so talented I'm sure you'll have no problem with this kind of project.

• annkathryn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hockeymom here's a picture of the cabinet edge. My camera doesn't take very good close-ups, sorry. You can see a slight line between the frame and the cabinet. That line could probably be made invisible by a more skilled woodworker. I didn't worry about it too much because you can't see any of the edges straight on due to how the walls are around the cabinets.

• coloradomomof5
    14 years ago

I LOVE that! I will try that in my kid's cubbies in the mudroom. I had planned on adding the wood stuff, but this is way better and easier. Thanks for the great idea! Your makeover looks wonderful! You truly have inspired me.

• hockeymom4
    14 years ago

Thanks so much! I really appreciate you taking the time to get a pic for me. It looks great from the photos! Unfortunately we don't have any skilled woodworkers around here but our cabinets couldn't possibly look worse than they do now. I'm going to show DH and see what he thinks.

• annkathryn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

One last picture with the prefab granite remnant on the upstairs cabinets. The granite is called "Golden Nugget".

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

Looks great! Just wondering, what is the purpose of that cabinet? End of the hall seems like a strange place for a built-in. Is it near the laundry or something?

• annkathryn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good question! The previous owners installed it. The shelves are lined with cedar and I use it for sheets on top and blankets/pillows/bedspreads on the bottom. There's no other linen closet in the house. The laundry room is on the first floor and this is upstairs at the opposite end of the house.

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

Well, that makes sense. I guess they put the counter in for folding.