Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
stair runners advice needed

Posted by michoumonster (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 1:19

Hi all,
we plan to have low berber-like carpet in our upstairs. Currently, our stairs are all hardwood. I want to have the look of a runner rug on the stairs, so would choose to have the carpet bound on both sides of the edges and expose wood on either side of the steps. Would it look funny to do a different carpet on the stairs from the upstairs? Something more rug-like for the runner, or should I try to match the upstairs?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: stair runners advice needed

can the "upstairs" area be seen from below?

o

They sell rolls of oriental style machine made runners that are already bound on the sides. Any good carpet store will have a wide selection of these. I would extend the same runner into the hallway upstairs and then do the berber in the bedrooms.

o

gracie, only the upstairs balcony/landing hallway can be seen from below, but that area has hardwood like the stairs. so the bedrooms are separate.
i am wondering though if all of the finishes should "relate" to each other? i plan to do beige carpet in the bedrooms, should the runner also be a beige? i am shying away from beige on the stairs due to high traffic, but don't want whatever i choose to feel random, kwim?

chispa, do you know of any good carpet brands that would offer the oriental style runners? the couple of stores that I went to did not seem to have machine made runners, but told me they could bind whatever carpet I chose for the stairs. great idea to extend the runner down the halls.
thanks!

o

Michou, I googled and came up with a site that listed several manufacturers. If you check out their sites, I'm sure you can find local rug stores/dealers that carry these products.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stair runners

o

Another site listing a bunch of manufacturers.

Here is a link that might be useful: runners

o

thanks so much Chispa! i will search for the local places that carry these brands.

o

I just purchased a commercial carpet for my stairs and it was only about $30 to have it bound. I love it, as it will hide lint and dirt and is not as thick as regular carpet.

o

gracie, any pics to share? i was thinking i can have the same berber carpet bound for the stairs, but i am afraid it will not look like a runner.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here