each side. But I've been reading about the "rules"
for placement, and it seems the mirror plus sconces
should not be wider than the sink itself. Does that mean
my idea won't work?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Size of bathroom mirror and sconces

Aw hooey. Position everything on the floor the way you like it, and hang that way. I don't believe you necessarily need to follow rules just as long as things aren't too high, low, far apart, or close, and scale is appropriate for what you're wanting to,do.

o

Sometimes the rules don't work for your situation. Do a mock up and see what proportions are pleasing to your eye, as patty_cakes suggested.

Here is an example where the sconces are outside of the sink's width. Still darn cute!

o

Thanks, pattycakes! That makes more sense.
And Alex, that picture is very helpful.

I notice that the majority of sconces are chrome.
Does anyone like a white finish? I'm concerned about
the chrome rusting.

Another question: If the mirror is oval, what's the best shape for the sconce backplates? Most of the ones I've seen are either round or rectangular.

Thanks!

This post was edited by jacquelynn on Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 17:27

o

I think a polished 'version' of chrome would be just as good.

I love this fixture! Just an example of a style that would keep with the vintage look but isn't necessarily shiny chrome.

Here is a link that might be useful: light fixture

o

Pattycakes, that fixture is beautiful! Thanks again.

o

I think picking a finish is dependent on your taste and the style you're going for in the room.

I picked a satin brass for my bath fixtures because I wanted some warmth mixed in with the distressed/satin nickel plumbing fixtures I'll have. Obviously, I'm not someone who matches finishes.

Here are some porcelain ones that are adorable for a vintage bathroom, if that's the direction you're heading. Glass shades, too! Important for cleaning toothpaste splatter. And, up to 100 watts bulbs. That's something I looked for, as well. I needed adequate light in my dark bathroom.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bellacor-and they're have discounts avail

o

Alex, I appreciate your comments. And Bellacor is a great
resource! Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here