Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diy_dirk

Anyone have a valance over roller shades?

diy_dirk
15 years ago

DW is looking for a solution for formal LR and DR windows. She loves looking out unobstructed windows (70x70 inches), but likes her privacy at night. She is thinking of a valance over roller shades. Has anyone here used this solution?

Cheers,

Comments (15)

• oceanna
    15 years ago

I have, but not in my living room. I sewed a fun valance for my parrot room. Then I covered the white vinyl roller blind that was there with a coordinating fabric. If she goes to the fabric store they sell kits for roller shades, which you can cover with whatever fabric you like. That way it's pretty even when it's pulled down. In the day, you get maximum light in, and the roller hides behind the valance. Mine isn't fancy like you'd want in a living room, but it's just a matter of fabric choices. Most folks have curtains or drapes in the living room, though. Got a picture of the room and window?

• sable_ca
    15 years ago

We have a valance over the roller shades in our den. We have four tall, narrow windows, next to each other, that look out on flowering trees, so the view is pretty, but at night I have to have total privacy. I ordered them from Country Curtains and liked them so much that after fifteen years, ordered the same set of valances and rollers again.

• diy_dirk
    Original Author
    15 years ago

oceanna, here's a few shots of the LR. Thanks for all the input--everyone here is so helpful.

Mrs. Dirk

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

How about a valance over roman fabric shades? I just don't see rollers in your space, with all its beautiful traditional decor. (Love that curved piece). You could get them with the gentle flounces so you wouldn't have the visible supports for the various line dividers, iykwim (not expressing myself clearly). I've been shopping for simple window covers myself, so all these considerations are in the forefront of my mind.

Here is a link that might be useful: this look not nec. this fabric or company

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

Of course flat is cleaner, but you see the spines...but it is cleaner.

Here is a link that might be useful: another kind

• tgd2008
    15 years ago

dirk, can I ask what your pretty wall color is? Thanks.

• marybeth1
    15 years ago

I am doing a valance over a woven shade in my powder room. Sorry no pics yet just ordered it.

• yogacat
    15 years ago

I had valances over roller shades in my bedroom as a teenager. It was perfect for me at that age.

I see something softer and more formal with your lovely chest and rug. It looks like you might have enough wall space on either side of the window to have draperies that stack back to clear the window if you extend a rod well beyond the window frame. Otherwise, pleated a roman shade might work.

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

As yogacat points out, there's nothing that says the drapery rod has to end at the end of the window...if you make the rod wider by the width of the stacked drapery on each side, you'll still have unobstructed view during the day, privacy at night and very beautiful fabric to look at too :)

• diy_dirk
    Original Author
    15 years ago

tgd2008, we used BM Monroe Bisque on the walls, and Dover White on the trim.

All, thank you for the insights/observations regarding my room. I may use the weekend to reconsider my original plan for the windows.

Mrs. Dirk

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

Your room is so gorgeous and I also feel that drapes would do so much more, especially since they'll extend to the floor and give softness and richness to your room. Have a look at Country Curtains on line; they have very nice traditional curtains at very reasonable prices.

• oceanna
    15 years ago

Mrs Dirk, you have a lovely living room. Here are some ideas for you...

Those are just some pictures I've saved over time in my own files, to give you some idea of some possible treatments. I bought my LR drapes from JC Penney and so did my daughter buy hers there, and we were both very pleased. If you sew, by all means look up the Pate Meadows site and look in their gallery. They have fabulous patterns. Or you just might find something fabulous on Craigslist or Ebay, ya never know. OTOH, if you have more money than time, by all means check out Horchow's draperies -- they are divine!

Keep us posted, please, and be sure to post an "after" picture.

• jejvtr
    15 years ago

Mrs Dirk

I agree w/fly - I don't see roller shades with our without valance for your particular application - it seems it would be taking away from the formal lovely room

btw can't wait to see more of that LR looks lovely -

I had similiar dilema - I just put up solid cream colored drapery panels in our LR - my windows aren't as large. I love the old windows & trim - but the room/windows needed some softening - the panels take up minimal glass so really don't obstruct view - I really do like the outcome - just what I wanted & what the windows needed.
    I am considering putting up internal mounted flat fabric romans - as I need something to keep the hot summer sun out.

Good luck

• diy_dirk
    Original Author
    15 years ago

*Paint correction*: BM Monroe Bisque on the walls and BM White Dove for the Trim.

You all have been so helpful in charting a course for my windows. I've got some research/thinking to do. Please bear with me as I make a decision. I will post as soon as I can sort it all out.

Mrs. Dirk
    (my DH is diy_dirk and lurks in the Kitchens Forum)