Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
musicteacher_gw

What rules can I break?

musicteacher
10 years ago

I live in a modest but very comfortable 70's home. . I have changed some things, but I am still torn about decorating. I keep hearing that you shouldn't try to make your house what it isn't, but my house doesn't really have a "style." Other than a leaded glass window in the dining room and picture frame paneling in the living room, it is pretty much just boxes. There are no architectural features, the windows are just holes in the wall with metal windows in them, no molding. My hubby wants to keep the wood, so I have just decorated that room like a library, but don't want the whole house to be dark and heavy.
I don't plan to sell soon, but maybe someday, and while I believe I can do whatever I want in my own home, I do want it to be tasteful. We just did our master almost Victorian style. I love the soft blue and all the white bead board . It is not "appropriate" for this house but is way in the back of the house, so who cares.
The dining room though might matter more.
Would it look weird to add molding to the windows, to change out the flat brown doors for something prettier? The house feels kind of colonial but I also really like French country. Can those styles mesh or would they both seem really out of place in a ranch house? Can adjacent rooms be totally different in color and intensity?

Comments (7)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

If the rooms are open to each other, it would be good if they could relate in some way...easiest way is with color. So, say you put a deeper green in the LR, then you may want to use a lighter shade of green in the DR. Or you can do it by carrying the same accent colors in both rooms against different backgrounds. Or you can create a single color scheme and vary the weight of the same colors in each room.

You might scroll through the design seeds threads here...in there, a few times I've used a color inspiration and showed how it can be used to keep adjacent rooms united in color without going boring.

When it comes to style, I'm looser than many around here. I think the public spaces should be more consistent and then the private spaces, like bedrooms, can be more independent. But even with that, I'm pretty eclectic. What I wouldn't do is make the dining room totally victorian and the living room totally colonial. But if you have rooms that have different hints or accents from different periods, that's fine. Most important is that they be what you enjoy living with and that the rooms function for you.

The key rule that you can never break is scale. It doesn't matter what style it is, if the contents are too small or too large, it won't work. Second in my mind is balance...a room should feel balanced, not with all the large pieces up against one wall or an accent color in only one side of the room.

Here is a link that might be useful: Using design seeds

• tinam61
    10 years ago

I like my rooms to "flow" so as Annie suggested, the color scheme in our home flows from room to room. Doesn't mean every room is the same color, but they relate. This is nice too because I can move things from room to room if I choose. Our home is all one "style", which is an eclectic, traditional/cottage mix. I would not have rooms in different styles, such as a victorian room, a french country room, etc. Our home is open - the mastor bedroom can be seen from the great room, the guest bedrooms/office as you go to the guest bath, etc.

tina

• NashvilleBuild42
    10 years ago

I think all rules, even scale, can be broken. A key oversized piece or two can bring drama to a room or make it seem more modern, IMO. OTOH a undersized chandelier or chair can add a delicate touch to the room. What I hate is when ALL the furniture or accessories are oversized or undersized. However a large overly big mirror can create drama and add sophistication in a room or entry if used properly. Same could be said for a lavishly large ottoman in a tv room or a huge bed in a small room (e.g. kevinmp guest room) I don't think it's wise to break all rules at once. Feel free to paint a small room a bold color or add one undersized or oversized item to the room.

IME, it is more jarring to go from a French country living room to a bohemian dining room to a modern zen kitchen. I always feel most comfortable in a house where there is a cohesive design style in the public living areas. If you like French country then carry it through the entire public spaces.

Good luck.

• maddielee
    10 years ago

Do you have crown moulding? If not, I'd start there. We installed crown a few years ago. We were amazed at the difference it made in our house.

8 ft ceilings, 4.25" crown.

It was a easy, relatively inexpensive DIY project for us.

ML

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

Perhaps you would enjoy upgrading the shell of your rooms first by adding window casings, crown and base molding and higher quality paneled doors. Then, your proposed traditional furniture and decor might feel more fitting.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Pictures? And maybe a floor plan?

If there are no moldings around the windows, don't add crown molding ... it looks best of it's part of a suite or trims, not a trendy or vintage detail tacked up next to the ceilings with the rest of the house stuck in the 1970s.

If you upgrade moldings, do baseboard, window trim, door trim and then crown

• ogrose_tx
    10 years ago

We purchased our first (and last!) home new in the early 70's, and over the years have:

Replaced brown mouldings with white, better grade, replaced brown doors with white paneled, as well as white moulding around windows, updated all windows with better grade white casements, tiled entire house, enlarged pantry, etc. This has made a ton of difference in what was a rather dark little house. Most of this was DIY, as my DH was in the building trade. It's very comfortable, and we love it. The important thing is to do what you like, and it will all fall into place - good luck!