Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Staging help

Posted by pixy306 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 23:42

Getting ready to sell the house... (Yes, I know the debate about staging vs. not, but I want to put our best possible foot forward!)
This is the living room, and this is also the first thing you see when you walk in the door - thoughts on furniture placement? Color of pillows? Art on wall? Other suggestions? Thanks so much! I always benefit tremendously from your input!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Staging help

Too many pillows
Pull the sofa away from the window...it'll make the room feel larger.
Unlink the drapes at the top and open them so they are just straight panels hanging at the sides....it will be a more updated look and it will let in more light.
If you can, add a floor lamp or another end table and lamp on the other side of the sofa. The more light, the better.

o

It looks very clean and comfy, which will appeal. The wall color is soft and cheery and looks good with the trim color, I think. The only thing that jumped out at me were the draperies and I'd open them on the rod, take the tiebacks off and let them hang straight down at the sides of the windows.

If you had any kind of a chest or table that could go under the mirror, I might try that. The mirror looks a little disconnected where/how it's hung, all by itself.

Good luck on your sale.

o

I agree with the other suggestions. I also just mentioned on the other thread regarding staging that getting the windows professionally cleaned inside and out makes a world of difference.

I would also add that if you have a rug handy I would place it under the coffee table and front legs of the sofa. It will add warmth and ground the seating area. Also, as said I would add as many lamps as you have in that room so it brightens it up.

Very nice space! I am sure your house will do well as it looks move in ready and super neat and clean!!

o

It's a bit difficult without seeing the rest of the room.

One question. Is this the only living area or is there a family room? Is this the main tv watching area in the house?

Because the setup you have, with the tv over the fireplace, will turn some people off if this is the only room for the tv. Also, none of your seating has a direct view of the tv.

If there's a family room or other area with another tv, I'd suggest removing this tv and putting some artwork in its place. If this is the only tv in the house, then I'd try to place the sofa so that there is more of a direct viewing angle.

Also agree with the suggestions regarding the drapes and more lamps.

o

I think you need another chair in there. My guess about your tv is that one person lies on the sofa while the chair swivels to turn toward the tv.
Can you show us the actual layout of the room?

o

Alrighty:
Here are some more pics (Lighting isn't great, all are taken from my phone)
This is a second view of the living area from the dining area.
Right now, watching TV is a pain, we used to have more furniture in this room, (Have a matching end table, matching lamp, rocking chair, and computer armoire) but it made it feel pretty small. And the layout that we prefer is to have the large armchair adjacent to the couch, which is great for TV viewing, but created a divider between the rooms which I think also made it feel smaller.

The fireplace is actually fake, which means that it can migrate... I agree that a rug would add warmth, however, I am reluctant to have to buy more things if not absolutely necessary!

o

Agree with Ellendi. Other angles of the room would be helpful. Agree, also, with others suggesting you pull the curtains apart and let them hang as straight panels.

I'd put the sofa in the center of the room facing the fireplace and also bring the chair in closer.

I like the mirror where it is. A nice little table underneath it would finish it. Move the plant into the corner by the window. The other piece of artwork is way too small for where it is and looks like it was just thrown up there.

Is the TV attached to the wall or sitting on the mantel? Totally a personal pet peeve and opinion, but I am so NOT a fan of TVs being over fireplaces. 1) They're too high for comfortable viewing; 2) they're not pieces of art. I think TVs should be viewable from a comfortable angle, but not the star of any room. Again, my own opinion and peeve.

o

Here is a view of the attached dining room from the living area. Suggestions are welcome!

o

That pic wasn't published when I submitted my comment! Lol.

Yes, definitely turn the large sofa so that it is centered and facing the fireplace. Place the smaller chair inward facing the window, front of it in line with the front edge of the sofa, but not touching it (It is too small to do the "L" formation).

I'd move the mirror to either the fireplace wall or the wall facing the window, with a table underneath it, and move the two matching pieces of art to each side of the window, equidistant from each edge of the window. Plant in the corner

Turn the coffee table.

Try to not buy anything for staging purposes.

o

And this is the "family room" which is on the opposite wall of the dining area. I had to create this entire room, as previously, our family room was nothing but children's toys, which, might I say, are quite the challenge to keep hidden. The clock on the chairs is now on the wall.

o

Ha! Also turn the dining table so it is lengthwise in line with the window and room.

o

Open all curtains in each room to be hanging panels. That family room is really pretty.

o

I should also mention, the couch is 8 feet long, ang 4 feet deep, it takes up a SUBSTANTIAL amount of room. I feel like if I moved it off the wall, it would appear to take up half of the room. If I move it in the center of the room, it will completely block the passage way into the dining room?

o

If you can eliminate the TV, do it. I would put the sofa against the plain wall and then put the love seat opposite with its back to the window, but pulled away from the window so it minimizes the amount of light blocked.

I agree to rotate the DR table and get rid of the basket/plant above the hutch. Same thing with the drapes there and in the FR.

FR looks very nice...but be careful with all the plants...they can seem cluttered and act as dust gatherers. You want some, but not too many.

You're trying to create enough space so people can comfortably walk through the rooms.

o

And here is one more photo from the living room, showing the view into the entry way - (Which is filled with the previously mentioned armoire, that I am trying to get rid of... Please ignore the clutter there, haven't started on the entry yet!)

I agree about the artwork on either side of the tv... Just not sure what else to do there? Would it look better with nothing? I ran the "replace the tv with some artwork" idea by my hubby, and he wasn't thrilled...

o

It's okay. Pull it in toward the fireplace. Create a cozy sitting place which gives people a sense of closeness. Is the dining and FR area one long rectangle? The pic of the family room, facing the FP, looks wider than the one of the dining room, but presumably that is the same wall??

o

Ok... Going to post a floor plan in a minute, once I figure out how...

o

Ah, so it is wider than the dining room!

I think you want reasonable access to the sofa and chair, but these rooms are meant for gathering, sitting, chatting, watching TV, not as a transitory room or walkthrough. I think for a buyer, seeing a room as a cozy family gathering spot has real psychological appeal.

If you try the Sofa in the center and chair facing the window but pulled in, you'll need a little side table for each piece so they don't appear to just be floating aimlessly in the room.

o

Ah I see...there's not enough room to put the sofa on that wall. Ok, just pull the sofa into the room more and put the love seat opposite it with the coffee table in between. You want to be able to get around the love seat so people can sit and this way people in either can see the TV.

o

Take the TV off that dang mantel! Lol. In my suggested set up, put the TV at a diagonal, on a stand of some kind, pulled in a bit to the left of the fireplace. Decorate the fireplace with knickknacks of different heights.

I wouldn't worry too much about artwork. I think none is better than stuff that doesn't fit and looks like it was just tossed up to try to do something/anything, which is a negative, IMO.

o

What if you put the TV and the large sofa in the family room and make a conversation group with your chairs and the round table in the living room?

o

Layout of living/dining room.

o

The large couch doesn't fit in the family room. The current "couch" is about 5 ft by 2.5 feet...

If I move the couch to the middle of the room, it feels like it blocks the entry to the dining area, unless I scootch it way forward, then it feels as though all the furniture is crowded on one side of the room... It also means that when you enter the door, the first thing you see is the side of the couch, which doesn't seem very welcoming to me? Maybe I'm alone in feeling this way?

Remember, the fireplace is fake, and is moveable...

Drapes will be an easy change, along with moving the foliage from the top of the hutch. Turning the table means that it won't sit centered underneath the light, or in the window, though, because of the china hutch. We originally had it turned, with the china hutch on the wall where the three floral art pieces are right now, but didn't like how it blocked so much light and visibility from the family room into the living area.

o

Option 3... Is this any better? Fireplace where mirror currently is, and tv maybe mounted on wall where little chair currently is?

o

Hey, hey, hey, turn that dining table too!

Any idea which way you're leaning?

Personally, I like the second (of course! It was my idea, right? Yeesh). Put the TV on a table diagonally on the open corner of the coffee table.

The third one is okay;works better than the first. But the fireplace is in a very awkward spot in that one, and personally I don't like sofas facing wide open areas and openings to other rooms. I think it diminishes the effect of a warm, specific, gathering spot, which I think should be its own "unit" so to speak (not sure if that's clear).

Mounted TV in the third one is in a good place, unless sun comes in from that window, then it's not a good spot because of glare.

You need the fireplace in the second scenario but if you went with another, is there room in the "Family Room" for the FP? It would look nice in there as well.

o

Is there a tv in the family room, or could the living room tv be moved there?

The problem is that with the tv in the living room, you seem to be forced into one of two situations--to get a good viewing angle for the tv, the furniture gets an awkward placement, as regards to moving throughout the room OR you get awkward viewing angles.

If this was for living in the space, I'd have different advice. But you are trying to stage for selling, so I'm thinking about how to make the living room seem larger and more cozy, at the same time.

Removing the tv gives you several options for furniture placement that don't crowd the pieces. Keeping it there makes it look as though there is no good place for the tv in the living room, and perhaps the house.

Moving the tv to the family room frees the living room up to be staged as a place for quiet activities and adult conversation. Then the tv in the family room signals noisier activities, kids and fun.

o

I like the 3 rd option...it keeps the focus on the windows not tv when you walk into the room and it makes the seating area accessible. I think option 2 definitely closes off the room and isn't comfortable as people can come up from behind.

o

Here's how we used to have it, before our realtor said we had too much furniture in there. On the small wall is a computer armoire, (which I like, and am having a hard time selling, but it's pretty dark, and she said it "sucked the light out of the room")

And I turned the dining room table - but again, it isn't centered in the window, nor will it be centered with the chandelier above it, which I feel will look very odd...

o

I would move the china cabinet back to the long wall where the pictures are.Will this allow the tale to be centered under the light? There's two large windows in this area? Did that much light really come fro the family room to help brighten this area? Perhaps having the drapes open and not pulled closed at the top will offset this amount of light lost from the cabinet being moved.

I feel that the fireplace by the table just points out the fact that it is fake. Does the computer armoire fit there? I feel that some of the pictures look like more furniture is needed. (But perhaps I have too much in my rooms!)

o

All of your rooms look nice, so I don't think I'd worry too much! I was wondering if the fireplace and tv would fit on the short wall where the chair is now? Then move the chair where you show it in your pre-staging diagram and leave the couch in its current place, or try the chair on the long wall, "L'd" to the couch, or angled a tiny bit toward the tv is there is room.

If the table isn't now centered under the light and windows, I'd leave it as you had it before, which would also give you more room behind the chair (if you used it in that new position with back to dining room).

o

I would move the fireplace out of the room to another location and place the tv in or on a piece of furniture. That one area is just not sitting right with me

o

What if you moved the China cabinet to the wall where the mirror is hanging now?

The light has to be centered over the dining table. Table is definitely better off the new way, in line with both the room and the window, but not if the light isn't centered. The window centering matters less.

o

The TV needs to go to the family room. Formal living rooms need to be without the TV. I'm not a fan of a faux fireplace, so I'd put that in storage. Just focus on making a nice conversation zone away from a TV. For the family room, the TV can be hung on a wall or have a narrow console under it.

o

I see the family room off the dining area, so where is the kitchen?

I would be inclined to borrow furniture from family room (especially 2 chairs, end table, and ottoman) and use them in the living room. Then move the chair and a half to the family room. I think it's important that the TV face the sofa, and as others have recommended, that the sofa be pull away from the window. I like the dining table as you showed it originally.

o

Have you considered putting the fireplace in the dining room?

o

I think it's pretty important to put the fireplace in storage. Items like that, that aren't a permanent part of the home, and don't convey can become a bone of contention with buyers. Unless you're going to leave it behind anyway. Never show something that you can't leave behind, because some buyer, somewhere, will want it, and use it as a negotiating point. If it IS fastened to the wall, it's part of the real property and will be considered to convey. And that goes for bathroom mirrors, TV mounts, and drapery hardware. If you want to keep it, replace it with something that you don't care about before the home is shown. Or remove it entirely.

o

True what live_wire said. Or another option is to put it in the master bedroom.

o

You have such a pretty, cheerful home that I'll bet it sells quickly. It's very warm and inviting. I too would remove the fireplace so it doesn't confuse potential buyers as to if it goes with the property or not. I would also let the drapes hang straight down on the sides rather than pulled back, and move the tv to the family room.

Good luck to you and your family!

o

Moving the tv to the family room would require a lot... Did I mention that I have two kids? And that I watch a bunch of other kids during the week? And that I'm pregnant? The family room wall that you cannot see in the picture has an ikea expedit shelf on it, that holds the last of the "kid things." I can't even fathom where I'd put everything. BUT I agree, that it would look much better without the tv, and without the small art on each side.

With the fireplace - I could take it or leave it. I know it's kinda cheesy, but I like the warmth and anchor that even the fake fireplace lends to the space. If we had buyers that loved it, there's no way I'd miss a sale of the house over leaving it! However, if they thought it was cheesy, I'd be happy to take it too.
Kitchen is adjacent to the family room. I would put a picture but it's a disaster right now... :)
rnmomof2, I really didn't like the china hutch on that wall - it is deep enough where it took about half of the view from the door on either side, which I felt made it really seem like it was in the way. House felt much more open when we moved it.

o

All in all, I think I feel more confused about the whole thing than I did in the beginning!

o

Don't blame you. Enthusiasts for whom this is a hobby can get carried away.

Your house really is fine as it is. Do pull the curtains apart so they hang as straight panels, and pull the sofa away from the window and the chair in a bit, and it'll be fine. Anyone looking at the house is going to be imagining how they're going to place their own furniture anyway. there is nothing in any of your photos that is going to cause a potential buyer to groan because of a huge cost to be incurred, which is the real problem when selling a house. You should feel very secure about showing your house, at least the rooms you've shown us.

I have a friend who has a gorgeous house in a very desirable, affluent town; beautiful lot, desirable neighborhood, etc. But her interior design is really terrible. All of the walls are not only wallpapered, but papered with truly ugly paper; the bathrooms all have tile in colors and styles no one would want, etc. Kitchen is nice, though. But anyone looking at that house is not looking at the furniture placement but at the cost of having to strip all the wallpaper and paint or repaper, redo all three bathrooms….so expensive, rip up the full-house wall-to-wall carpeting and put down hardwood floors…That is the sort of thing that turns off buyers. They had it on the market last year…nothing. and it wasn't a market thing.

Long way of saying, your house will show nicely as it is.

o

A few years ago, we bought a really nice house from a couple in their 80's. It was full of dated furniture - but I wasn't buying the furniture. As soon as I walked in I loved the front to back living room and I could picture where our furniture would go. It was also full of wallpaper - tiny flowered wallpaper in several rooms. I did buy that and have spent many hours taking it off but that didn't deter me! The house was well made and CLEAN (very important to me) with beautiful hardwoods. Your house looks very, very nice and if I were looking at it, I wouldn't be concerned with where you had your furniture placed or what you had on the walls. I would see a clean, uncluttered, well cared for home. I agree with Tibbrix - your house will show fine just the way it is.

o

I am sorry that we have all given so much advice. I know how confusing it can be to post a question and then everyone has tons of ideas and you are left feeling lost as to what is the right choice.

Honestly, if you just open up the curtains (or even if you didn't) your home shows beautifully and I think people who see it, will see it for what it is and how they may want to arrange their furniture and how they could use the space. Just keep it clean and the beauty of your spaces will be obvious to buyers.

We definitely can get carried away here! I know I am one who can! ;)

o

I think the rooms you've shown look fine as is, clean, uncluttered, natural light filled, and move in ready with nothing really saying "future project/fix/update" needed etc.

My only suggestions would be to maybe remove a plant or two (maybe just from the kitchen) and have some fresh flowers on the dining room table.

To me (from the photos, could be different in real life) the ceiling fan in the living room seems visually heavy in color/finish against the white ceiling and hangs down a bit. Replacing it with an inexpensive white flush-mount one might blend it into the ceiling better and feel less low.

Hope you sell quickly.

o

All in all, I think I feel more confused about the whole thing than I did in the beginning!

o

i would keep the furniture arranged the way you currently have it, but I'd remove the coffee table all together and perhaps put a small end table on the side of the sofa where the plant is (with a lamp on it). I'd also remove the pictures on either side of the fireplace. Completely agree about letting the curtain panels hang straight. Pulled back the way you have it kind of looks old fashioned.

o

Well, I'd go with the one consistent advice, and that's the drapes.
The fact that you got so much conflicting advice shows that there's no "obvious" flaw in your rooms. They look nice, bright, clean. I probably would replace the boob light in the FR with something like this:

or this (I love this light, but I know others hate it), 40.00 at IKEA

also 40.00

Also, I'd pull the drapes back in the FR, and maybe not line up the chairs like in a waiting room.

o

Ok - new day, new energy! Probably what is overwhelming me is the fact that I am pregnant, and can't do the kind of furniture moving that I normally would... Which means I have to coax a certain, unwilling participant to move furniture over, and over, and over... ;)
I did move the furniture in, off the walls, and it feels odd to me... Especially the couch. We will call this option one, modified.

o

Original layout

o

Option 2

o

When you're staging a home for sale, less is more. I don't think it's so much about how your furniture is arranged but more about making it look spacious enough for buyers to be able to imagine how their furniture can be placed.

o

Option 3

o

When I suggested removing the coffee table and keeping the room the way it is, I meant to push the sofa back against the wall.

o

I like Option 1 - although I think you can push the couch back just a little - about 6" toward the window (still not against the wall/window though). Otherwise, I think I'd leave it as-is, including the pictures on the walls.

that goes for bathroom mirrors, TV mounts, and drapery hardware. That goes for light fixtures too. I realized too late that my wonderful irreplaceable center hall light fixture was "going with the house" when we sold our first house. As it turns out, it wouldn't have worked in any other house we've owned, but still....

o

I LIKE it with the sofa and chair out a bit! It feels warmer and cozier.

I might move the chair to the other corner of the coffee table, facing the fireplace, and put the TV on a stand in the corner where the chair is now, then decorate the fireplace mantel. That would give you a full "living area" and not have one huge open corner.

However, I don't think any of that is necessary in terms of making your house more salable.

But I like it!

o

Pixy, I know this is off topic but would you mind sharing where you got your couch? I love it and couch shopping as we speak.
TIA

o

I think spacious trumps cozy when you're trying to appeal to prospective buyers. lol.

This post was edited by k9arlene on Tue, Feb 11, 14 at 13:06

o

Can you take a picture from the front door? In other words, what do you see when you first come into the home? You want the first experience to be a WOW! Spend time making the foyer functional and gorgeous. Then think about what buyers will see of the living room when they walk in and make that a focal point. Even if it's just a nicely styled console with a large piece of art (or a mirror!) above it. Just something that catches their eye and draws them in and makes them want to see more of the home. So much about buying a home is emotional and you want buyers to have a very positive first impression.

o

Kitchen/family room pictures

o

Bedrooms 2 and 3

This post was edited by pixy306 on Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 23:51

o

I don't think you have anything to worry about - from the pictures, your home looks very inviting!

o

Bathrooms - I like the guest, I'm underwhelmed by the master. Any suggestions?

o

Master bedroom - worst room of the house... Would love suggestions!

o

Mudroom

o

Entry view, living room, dining room

o

Just want to add how much I appreciate everybody's feedback! I know everyone has different opinions sometimes, but I feel like it's a great representation of the different opinions that potential buyers will have as well! Have someone coming to look at the house on Saturday... The real challenge - how to keep it clean with all the kiddos, who are far more efficient at making messes...

o

I have only one suggestion - a bedspread or comforter in a print or pattern in the master bedroom. Otherwise, I think it looks fine!

o

Tfm1134 - sorry just saw your message - we got both the couch and the oversized chair at Basset furniture a few years ago. They are both the comfiest pieces of furniture I have ever owned. I've actually had two other friends go and buy the same exact oversized chair after sitting in it at our house. And if you take the back cushions off the large couch, it is about the same size as a twin bed, which is great for when company comes!

o

Show the bedroom angle towards the window, if you have to pick one picture. The built-in under the window is a desirable feature. Also, do whatever you can to make your pictures bright--bring in extra lights--whatever it takes. Dark pictures are a big drawback, imo.

I'm not opposed to talking the tv out for the picture and putting it back right after you get the picture. I think getting people to come to your house in the first place is key--you want to draw them in with great photos.

o

I would get a different blanket or comforter for your bedroom.

I think your house is lovely and warm. I can not imagine it not selling!

Here is one 3 piece quilt that would look great! Not saying you should run out and buy anything, maybe you already have a white blanket, quilt or comforter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Quilt

o

I think your house is great as is; and I understand you are asking if there is anything that is glaringly wrong or offensive, and anything that can make a good difference. In my opinion there is nothing negative at all.
Most definitely opening up the curtains falls into the category of minor tweaking but a great improvement. I also think for your master br, it's fine as is, but I would just make sure that you fluff out the comforter on the bed. (don't know how you are for storage and extra work, but I actually take off the comforter we sleep with and put it in a wicker trunk, and then put out a pretty puffy comforter and shams to make the bed. somehow even my most lazy of dh has gotten used to it). We don't sleep pretty:) so the comforter on the bed gets pretty exhausted.
Your kitchen and other rooms are great - I love your mud room!

o

Your house is beautiful. I don't think you have anything to fret over at all. The one uniform suggestion, to open all of the drapes, makes a huge difference! Wow. I'm surprised by the difference, in fact. I also really like the new placement of the mirror in the front hall and the two pieces of art where you put them over the plant, as well as the way you placed them, one slightly higher than the other. Really nice!

I do prefer the furniture in the living room pulled in. I would, though, make a full square by moving the chair to the other corner and putting the TV on a stand in the corner where the chair is now, and maybe hang the mirror that is leaning on top of your coat rack in the mudroom over the fire place. That frame looks like it would go perfectly with the FP, and in fact better than with the white cottage-y look of the coat rack.

I think that wold give that room a completed look. One of my pet peeves, though, is TVs over fireplaces. But…for your purposes, that should not affect a potential sale!

oh, and maybe replace the two burned-out bulbs in the chandelier in the baby's room. That chandelier is wonderful! When showing the house, make sure it is turn on so people look at it. That is a selling point, IMO!

o

I guess I'm not understanding the advice to pull the furniture more into the room (away from the wall) making the room appear smaller. What If potential buyers have large scale furniture or a sectional and the room gives the appearance of being too small to accommodate their furniture. I still think less clutter and less furniture is the way to go. Prospective buyers aren't buying your decorating..they're looking to get the most space for their money to make it their own. Also, if you plan to take the baby's room chandelier with you, I'd either replace it or make sure the realtor knows it does not convey.

o

Your house is really nice! It should show well.

I love your bathrooms. I really like the striking B&W toile shower curtain. Maybe a B&W shower curtain in a different pattern like stripe? But honestly, it is fine the way it is.

We have the same headboard in our guest BR. Broyhill Fontana was an extremely popular line. It was DH's set. I think a more fitted white or cream quilt would look better on the bed.

o

Thank you so much Pixy. I really appreciate the info

o

Love your house, it is warm and cheerful as is. I agree with the suggestion made about the drapes, beyond that I think it looks good to go. So much nicer than most houses listed.

We are also looking to sell within the next 6 months and I have gone to many Open Houses recently, so I have a good feel for what is selling, in my location anyway, and yours would sell very quickly. Best of luck to you for a quick sell.

o

Updated bedroom pic - Thanks for all the advice! Many of you were TOTALLY right about the white comforter - was very happy as I already had one...

o

Your bedroom looks lovely! The only thing I would suggest is taking down the hanging plants.

o

Would switching the shower curtains bring a little more color into the master and make you happier with that room? It appears that the walls are darker in the guest bath and perhaps would stand out more against the lighter curtain. The bolder shower curtain now placed in the master would break up the more monotone color pallet in that room.

Both rooms look nice but perhaps that easy switch would make you happier with them.

Good luck, your house does look nice and ready to sell.

o

Looks really great. Three things:
I'd take that mirror down from the dresser/wardrobe.
Replace one of those baskets in the shelves with books.
Pull the drapes back.
(Also, I'd pull back the shower curtains back in the bathroom, but I guess that's personal preference. It makes the bathroom look bigger, IMO)

This post was edited by nosoccermom on Sat, Feb 15, 14 at 14:18

o

I think it looks great but I'd also remove the hanging plants.

o

Great advice on the bathrooms as well! I disliked the overall appearance of the master, so switched shower curtains, then returned the light colored one and replaced it with a more striking one in the guest. I was actually hoping to find another black and white one, but couldn't find any in the stores! However, I think this one serves a similar purpose.

o

Master bath

o

Now that you've switched the shower curtains, and am using the black/white toile, why not bring a bit of black into the MB to co-ordinate a bit more. You would be surprised how dramatic the room will become! Remove the small green pillows from the window seat and add black. Any lamps in the room, use black shades~if there are no lamps, I would suggest adding at least two. Maybe you could buy a couple of yards of black toile(Jo Ann's) and make a bedskirt~a glue gun/fabric glue is just as good as sewing. Get enough fabric to make shams for the bigger pillows. or cover one of the larger pillows. This will tie it all together.

I recently used the black/white toile in a rasberry/green guestroom. I hung a large picture behind the bed with a black background, changed out the lamp shade to black, covered a bench at the end of the bed in the toile, and made the toile bedskirt from crib bedding I had. I didn't have to buy a thing!

o

The bathrooms look wonderful! And the white bedspread really makes the bedroom look more inviting. Great job with all of it.

o

It's amazing what a big difference these changes in BR and bathrooms make.

o

Wow! The bathrooms look great! What a difference a shower curtain can make!

o

You have a wonderful "eye". Great job!

o

Just in case anyone still cares, wanted you all to know that we listed on a Tuesday, and by Wednesday had an offer of above asking!! This forum was such a blessing, and I truly feel that many of the suggestions contributed to its quick sale! I did end up moving the tv into the family room, and redecorated the top of the mud bench, as someone had suggested. Got lots and lots of compliments from the finished product!
Thanks again everyone!

o

Congratulations (job well done)!

o

Oh Pixy, that is wonderful! I love your home and your love and care of it really showed!

Did you have your baby yet? If so lots of well wishes to you and your family!!!

o

Congratulations, Pixy! What a vote of confidence for you! Bonus to boot!

o

Very happy for you and if I had been looking at your house as a potential buy, I think it would have been at the top of my list! You are a very tidy person who has a good eye for staging and selling. You just needed confirmation and a few tips as well. We sellers often cannot see what is under our noses as we are so concerned about other nonimportant things and these folks at this forum have a keen eye to see the little minutia that makes it sell and fast. Congratulations to you and all those who participated!

o

I LOVE quick sales -- I LOVE offers above asking prices!

I'm just getting back to GW after being away... did I miss reading to what new place you are moving?

o

Well, I may have done a bit too much while pregnant, and am paying for it now on bed rest - baby is scheduled to arrive on Monday, though! We are currently living in a short term rental (which is still filled with boxes, due to the aforementioned bed rest...) for another month and a half, then moving up to northern wis to be near family. Our dream would be to eventually build something once life is a bit more settled.

o

Good luck with the baby and the move!

o

That is amazing news!!! Congrats on the baby! So glad it all worked out. Hope the move goes smoothly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here