Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pixy306

Staging help

pixy306
10 years ago

Getting ready to sell the house... (Yes, I know the debate about staging vs. not, but I want to put our best possible foot forward!)
This is the living room, and this is also the first thing you see when you walk in the door - thoughts on furniture placement? Color of pillows? Art on wall? Other suggestions? Thanks so much! I always benefit tremendously from your input!

Comments (97)

• pixy306
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok - new day, new energy! Probably what is overwhelming me is the fact that I am pregnant, and can't do the kind of furniture moving that I normally would... Which means I have to coax a certain, unwilling participant to move furniture over, and over, and over... ;)
    I did move the furniture in, off the walls, and it feels odd to me... Especially the couch. We will call this option one, modified.

• pixy306
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Original layout

• pixy306
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Option 2

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

When you're staging a home for sale, less is more. I don't think it's so much about how your furniture is arranged but more about making it look spacious enough for buyers to be able to imagine how their furniture can be placed.

• pixy306
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Option 3

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

When I suggested removing the coffee table and keeping the room the way it is, I meant to push the sofa back against the wall.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I like Option 1 - although I think you can push the couch back just a little - about 6" toward the window (still not against the wall/window though). Otherwise, I think I'd leave it as-is, including the pictures on the walls.

that goes for bathroom mirrors, TV mounts, and drapery hardware. That goes for light fixtures too. I realized too late that my wonderful irreplaceable center hall light fixture was "going with the house" when we sold our first house. As it turns out, it wouldn't have worked in any other house we've owned, but still....

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I LIKE it with the sofa and chair out a bit! It feels warmer and cozier.

I might move the chair to the other corner of the coffee table, facing the fireplace, and put the TV on a stand in the corner where the chair is now, then decorate the fireplace mantel. That would give you a full "living area" and not have one huge open corner.

However, I don't think any of that is necessary in terms of making your house more salable.

But I like it!

• tfm1134
    10 years ago

Pixy, I know this is off topic but would you mind sharing where you got your couch? I love it and couch shopping as we speak.
    TIA

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

I think spacious trumps cozy when you're trying to appeal to prospective buyers. lol.

This post was edited by k9arlene on Tue, Feb 11, 14 at 13:06

• geokid
    10 years ago

Can you take a picture from the front door? In other words, what do you see when you first come into the home? You want the first experience to be a WOW! Spend time making the foyer functional and gorgeous. Then think about what buyers will see of the living room when they walk in and make that a focal point. Even if it's just a nicely styled console with a large piece of art (or a mirror!) above it. Just something that catches their eye and draws them in and makes them want to see more of the home. So much about buying a home is emotional and you want buyers to have a very positive first impression.

• pixy306
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kitchen/family room pictures

• pixy306
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bedrooms 2 and 3

This post was edited by pixy306 on Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 23:51

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I don't think you have anything to worry about - from the pictures, your home looks very inviting!

• pixy306
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bathrooms - I like the guest, I'm underwhelmed by the master. Any suggestions?

• pixy306
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Master bedroom - worst room of the house... Would love suggestions!

• pixy306
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mudroom

• pixy306
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Entry view, living room, dining room

• pixy306
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just want to add how much I appreciate everybody's feedback! I know everyone has different opinions sometimes, but I feel like it's a great representation of the different opinions that potential buyers will have as well! Have someone coming to look at the house on Saturday... The real challenge - how to keep it clean with all the kiddos, who are far more efficient at making messes...

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I have only one suggestion - a bedspread or comforter in a print or pattern in the master bedroom. Otherwise, I think it looks fine!

• pixy306
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tfm1134 - sorry just saw your message - we got both the couch and the oversized chair at Basset furniture a few years ago. They are both the comfiest pieces of furniture I have ever owned. I've actually had two other friends go and buy the same exact oversized chair after sitting in it at our house. And if you take the back cushions off the large couch, it is about the same size as a twin bed, which is great for when company comes!

• alisonn
    10 years ago

Show the bedroom angle towards the window, if you have to pick one picture. The built-in under the window is a desirable feature. Also, do whatever you can to make your pictures bright--bring in extra lights--whatever it takes. Dark pictures are a big drawback, imo.

I'm not opposed to talking the tv out for the picture and putting it back right after you get the picture. I think getting people to come to your house in the first place is key--you want to draw them in with great photos.

• amykath
    10 years ago

I would get a different blanket or comforter for your bedroom.

I think your house is lovely and warm. I can not imagine it not selling!

Here is one 3 piece quilt that would look great! Not saying you should run out and buy anything, maybe you already have a white blanket, quilt or comforter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Quilt

• User
    10 years ago

I think your house is great as is; and I understand you are asking if there is anything that is glaringly wrong or offensive, and anything that can make a good difference. In my opinion there is nothing negative at all.
    Most definitely opening up the curtains falls into the category of minor tweaking but a great improvement. I also think for your master br, it's fine as is, but I would just make sure that you fluff out the comforter on the bed. (don't know how you are for storage and extra work, but I actually take off the comforter we sleep with and put it in a wicker trunk, and then put out a pretty puffy comforter and shams to make the bed. somehow even my most lazy of dh has gotten used to it). We don't sleep pretty:) so the comforter on the bed gets pretty exhausted.
    Your kitchen and other rooms are great - I love your mud room!

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Your house is beautiful. I don't think you have anything to fret over at all. The one uniform suggestion, to open all of the drapes, makes a huge difference! Wow. I'm surprised by the difference, in fact. I also really like the new placement of the mirror in the front hall and the two pieces of art where you put them over the plant, as well as the way you placed them, one slightly higher than the other. Really nice!

I do prefer the furniture in the living room pulled in. I would, though, make a full square by moving the chair to the other corner and putting the TV on a stand in the corner where the chair is now, and maybe hang the mirror that is leaning on top of your coat rack in the mudroom over the fire place. That frame looks like it would go perfectly with the FP, and in fact better than with the white cottage-y look of the coat rack.

I think that wold give that room a completed look. One of my pet peeves, though, is TVs over fireplaces. Butâ¦for your purposes, that should not affect a potential sale!

oh, and maybe replace the two burned-out bulbs in the chandelier in the baby's room. That chandelier is wonderful! When showing the house, make sure it is turn on so people look at it. That is a selling point, IMO!

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

I guess I'm not understanding the advice to pull the furniture more into the room (away from the wall) making the room appear smaller. What If potential buyers have large scale furniture or a sectional and the room gives the appearance of being too small to accommodate their furniture. I still think less clutter and less furniture is the way to go. Prospective buyers aren't buying your decorating..they're looking to get the most space for their money to make it their own. Also, if you plan to take the baby's room chandelier with you, I'd either replace it or make sure the realtor knows it does not convey.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Your house is really nice! It should show well.

I love your bathrooms. I really like the striking B&W toile shower curtain. Maybe a B&W shower curtain in a different pattern like stripe? But honestly, it is fine the way it is.

We have the same headboard in our guest BR. Broyhill Fontana was an extremely popular line. It was DH's set. I think a more fitted white or cream quilt would look better on the bed.

• tfm1134
    10 years ago

Thank you so much Pixy. I really appreciate the info

• jill302
    10 years ago

Love your house, it is warm and cheerful as is. I agree with the suggestion made about the drapes, beyond that I think it looks good to go. So much nicer than most houses listed.

We are also looking to sell within the next 6 months and I have gone to many Open Houses recently, so I have a good feel for what is selling, in my location anyway, and yours would sell very quickly. Best of luck to you for a quick sell.

• pixy306
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Updated bedroom pic - Thanks for all the advice! Many of you were TOTALLY right about the white comforter - was very happy as I already had one...

• amykath
    10 years ago

Your bedroom looks lovely! The only thing I would suggest is taking down the hanging plants.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    10 years ago

Would switching the shower curtains bring a little more color into the master and make you happier with that room? It appears that the walls are darker in the guest bath and perhaps would stand out more against the lighter curtain. The bolder shower curtain now placed in the master would break up the more monotone color pallet in that room.

Both rooms look nice but perhaps that easy switch would make you happier with them.

Good luck, your house does look nice and ready to sell.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Looks really great. Three things:
    I'd take that mirror down from the dresser/wardrobe.
    Replace one of those baskets in the shelves with books.
    Pull the drapes back.
    (Also, I'd pull back the shower curtains back in the bathroom, but I guess that's personal preference. It makes the bathroom look bigger, IMO)

This post was edited by nosoccermom on Sat, Feb 15, 14 at 14:18

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I think it looks great but I'd also remove the hanging plants.

• pixy306
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great advice on the bathrooms as well! I disliked the overall appearance of the master, so switched shower curtains, then returned the light colored one and replaced it with a more striking one in the guest. I was actually hoping to find another black and white one, but couldn't find any in the stores! However, I think this one serves a similar purpose.

• pixy306
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Master bath

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Now that you've switched the shower curtains, and am using the black/white toile, why not bring a bit of black into the MB to co-ordinate a bit more. You would be surprised how dramatic the room will become! Remove the small green pillows from the window seat and add black. Any lamps in the room, use black shades~if there are no lamps, I would suggest adding at least two. Maybe you could buy a couple of yards of black toile(Jo Ann's) and make a bedskirt~a glue gun/fabric glue is just as good as sewing. Get enough fabric to make shams for the bigger pillows. or cover one of the larger pillows. This will tie it all together.

I recently used the black/white toile in a rasberry/green guestroom. I hung a large picture behind the bed with a black background, changed out the lamp shade to black, covered a bench at the end of the bed in the toile, and made the toile bedskirt from crib bedding I had. I didn't have to buy a thing!

• Olychick
    10 years ago

The bathrooms look wonderful! And the white bedspread really makes the bedroom look more inviting. Great job with all of it.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

It's amazing what a big difference these changes in BR and bathrooms make.

• amykath
    10 years ago

Wow! The bathrooms look great! What a difference a shower curtain can make!

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

You have a wonderful "eye". Great job!

• pixy306
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just in case anyone still cares, wanted you all to know that we listed on a Tuesday, and by Wednesday had an offer of above asking!! This forum was such a blessing, and I truly feel that many of the suggestions contributed to its quick sale! I did end up moving the tv into the family room, and redecorated the top of the mud bench, as someone had suggested. Got lots and lots of compliments from the finished product!
    Thanks again everyone!

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Congratulations (job well done)!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Oh Pixy, that is wonderful! I love your home and your love and care of it really showed!

Did you have your baby yet? If so lots of well wishes to you and your family!!!

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Congratulations, Pixy! What a vote of confidence for you! Bonus to boot!

• patricianat
    10 years ago

Very happy for you and if I had been looking at your house as a potential buy, I think it would have been at the top of my list! You are a very tidy person who has a good eye for staging and selling. You just needed confirmation and a few tips as well. We sellers often cannot see what is under our noses as we are so concerned about other nonimportant things and these folks at this forum have a keen eye to see the little minutia that makes it sell and fast. Congratulations to you and all those who participated!

• missmary - 6b/Central Maryland
    9 years ago

I LOVE quick sales -- I LOVE offers above asking prices!

I'm just getting back to GW after being away... did I miss reading to what new place you are moving?

• pixy306
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I may have done a bit too much while pregnant, and am paying for it now on bed rest - baby is scheduled to arrive on Monday, though! We are currently living in a short term rental (which is still filled with boxes, due to the aforementioned bed rest...) for another month and a half, then moving up to northern wis to be near family. Our dream would be to eventually build something once life is a bit more settled.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Good luck with the baby and the move!

• amykath
    9 years ago

That is amazing news!!! Congrats on the baby! So glad it all worked out. Hope the move goes smoothly.