Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
begoniagirlcalif

I've been 'decatur buffed'....our living room photos....

begoniagirl
14 years ago

Many thanks to 'peytonroad', eagertopaint', 'dawn t', and 'newhomebuilder' for the suggestions and inspirational photos in answer to my quest for a rich golden color for our living/dining/foyer areas. I'm confident in my individual decorating style, but cannot pick a paint color to save my life, probably why I usually opt out for wallpaper.

We live in a 1989 California cookie-cutter tract house in a fabulous ocean-close location between LA and San Diego, and, after being here for ten years, have done some deferred maintenance, updating, and remodeling. We're thrilled with every aspect of the finished product and credit GW for our paint success.

Since I can't decide which photos to post, I'll include them all. My only hesitation is that the color looks a bit green in the photos and so much better in person. It's warm, rich, golden, traditional, and sets off our decor perfectly.

Comments (20)

• patty_cakes
    14 years ago

Begoniagirl, you have a gorgeous home, and have done a fantastic job of decorating it! A professional decorator could not have done any better. The color enhances your beautiful furnishings quite well, giving off a golder glow. Absolutely lovely. ;o)

• deeinohio
    14 years ago

Beautiful! And, a fellow Roseville lover. I especially like that you actually use yours.
    Dee

• redbazel
    14 years ago

Gorgeous! That's how gold should look. Pretty, pretty, home!

Red

• Sheeisback_GW
    14 years ago

So, so pretty. I saw pic #2 you posted the other week and was drooling then thinking 'beautiful home'!

I really love the color.

• anele_gw
    14 years ago

Oh, I LOVE it! You have somehow managed to make your home completely elegant while also making it a welcoming sanctuary. I think this is probably one of the hardest things to do in decorating!

I am going to study your pictures to see how you were able to use your multitude of wall decor without it having a "too busy" feeling. Absolutely charming. You have such an amazing style.

• anele_gw
    14 years ago

I want to add, I don't usually like the popular "open floor" concept because I haven't understood how to make it have that vintage/cozy feeling, but looking at your home, you've managed a sort of English manor look that completely works.

• loribee
    14 years ago

Wow...truly lovely!

• jjam
    14 years ago

What a beautiful home you have. The color is perfect. Thanks for sharing your photos. They are inspiration pics for me and many others, I'm sure.

• msrose
    14 years ago

I just love Decatur Buff! It always looks goldish yellow in the pictures I see, but I remember someone saying it didn't actually look that color when they painted their walls. Are the picture above pretty true to color? It just looks so warm and welcoming.

Laurie

• DLM2000-GW
    14 years ago

I should be so 'buffed' ;-)

Beautiful home, wonderful pieces.

• mzdee
    14 years ago

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that staircase! And you have some absolutely drool worthy pieces of furniture. Your home is beautiful.

• Oakley
    14 years ago

First, I need you to get over to the African Violet topic to answer my question. :)

Can I move in with you? lol. Your walls are stunning and I'm in love with the "pumpkin" color in your MB.

I'm not sure if you answered this before, but what style would you call your decorating? Is it Traditional? It looks like you have a lot of old pieces along with new. Whaver it is, you have tremendous taste!

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

Beautiful in every aspect! It looks like a victorian bed and breakfast. Southern CA near the ocean? I'd love to make a reservation!

• sherwoodva
    14 years ago

Begoniagirl, I love it. The color, your furniture, your style. Your house is amazing. I agree with anele, you have managed to make the open floor plan look very traditional and cozy. I'm glad you hung so many pictures. Our house is like that (but not as pretty as yours) and I was starting to wonder about all the homes that have nothing on the walls. I am drooling over the furniture, too. Are the wooden pieces antiques?

Thank you for posting. You should be a professional decorator; you have great taste.

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

Completely fabulous. So much to love in it, including that there is so much of you in it! The color works perfectly, I agree. Anele's comments are mine, pretty much. LOVE how the firebox line echoes the frame line of pieces above it...I'd pay for a house tour just to be able to look at your artwork. This is an *instructional* decor. Thank you so much for posting it.

• patty_cakes
    14 years ago

I forgot to mention that I love your obvious 'more is more' thinking. I sometimes feel i'm over accessorized or over-the-top, but that's *my* comfort zone. Too much of a good thing *is* a good thing. ;o)

• tracey_b
    14 years ago

The color looks great! I'm wanting a similar color for the main rooms in our new house, and Decatur Buff is on my list to check out.

What is the lovely color of your master bath? I'm wanting a "pumpkin-ish" color in my kitchen. Do you think that color goes well with D. Buff?

Thanks.

• tracey_b
    14 years ago

:-) Never mind. I found the post about the color: BM Greenfield Pumpkin.

• haley_comet
    14 years ago

Very very beautiful! I too 'decatur buffed' my LR and it is a great easy to coordinate color.

Super beautiful home.

Haley

• livvyandbella
    14 years ago

WOW!! Your home is beautiful. You have done an amazing job with it.