Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
formerlymotherof3sons

Fireplace Built-ins

motherof3sons
10 years ago

We are having cabinets built around the fireplace to house the TV and components. Please review the drawings and provide feedback. Just another task on the "to do" list of this long building process. Thanks everyone!

Comments (10)

• motherof3sons
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is with the doors open.

• barbie08075
    10 years ago

IMHO, If you look at the real dimensions of what you have drwn, I think the drawers and cabinets will be too tiny to be of any use in order to fit the television in.

• motherof3sons
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good point Barbie. The doors will store a subwoofer and DVDs. The drawers are 36 wide x 8 deep and will store extra linens for the dining room. I currently store the linens in a buffet with much smaller drawers. Thank you for posting.

• Sidney4
    10 years ago

Motherof3sons, hello! I haven't posted on the forum in a very long time but saw your post and thought I'd jump in. I hope you are staying warm . Illinois winters are long but this one seems set to break a record.

I love the design you have chosen. We have something similar and it works quite well. What will you have on the other side of the fireplace? Is it symmetrical? The biggest challenge for me, with our fireplace cabinets, was how to decorate the space above the cabinets. We have tall ceilings which creates a large area visually to fill. Most designs like ours ( and yours) that I could find on-line had windows on both sides of the fireplace which is more interesting than the plain walls that I have.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

The dimensions aren't really there. If next to my fireplace, the storage would be a correct size. Although the TV would be too low. I am not fond of so many drawers along with the doors. Am assuming the drawers are for video storage. If doing this I would build the storage to house/hide your TV units, depending upon how much this area is being used. And have pull out storage behind doors. Is very busy to me, but may be due to a drawing rather than seeing it in real life and the total scheme of your decor. What is on the other side of fireplace?

• User
    10 years ago

We had a flatscreen for movies only behind those retractable doors that push back in along the sides of the tv. It was literally never closed, ever. Strange but true, a two step closure just didn't happen in our house. I was the only one who ever closed it, and we didn't even use it that much. If it had been a regular television that gets watched often, there would have been no reason for those doors. But-- that may just be my lazy group :-)

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

For the reasons mentioned above (wall above and "lazy" folks), I'm envisioning something like this for my rec room.

[Contemporary Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2103)

• Gooster
    10 years ago

having some dimensions on the drawing would help -- and a picture of the whole wall. Based on the description of your drawers, your TV may be slightly low (and/or the fireplace is simply just taller than normal).

I've been through this twice. One big thing is to consider the future evolution of your equipment. You seem to have small cubbies to hold the main AV equipment. Adjustable shelving may be better -- equipment changes dimensions and new toys for the boys will show up. Leave excess room around the TV for updates and changes, and be aware that the next big thing in TVs may be slightly curved. Instead of sitting on a stand, you may consider an articulating mount to the back wall. The TV will be likely sitting recessed from the front of the fireplace, and you may actually need to pull it out for viewing in a crowd. This will require a strong back panel to your cubby, which is not a normal feature of cabinet.

Also consider how power strips, Ethernet/WiFi connections and cables will get routed and where they will be located. Make sure your subwoofer storage is on a strong substrate (bottom shelf) or the vibration may be a problem. Consider where the center channel speaker will reside, and where the front surrounds will sit -- normally the center channel needs to be near the TV and the front surrounds on either side.
    My speakers are on either side of the entire wall, in a open frame cabinet with speaker cloth. The subwoofer is in one of them. The center channel is above the TV, on a shelf. All the wiring is hidden behind the unit. The rear channel surround speakers are mounted on the ceiling, with speaker cable routed and completely hidden.

Everything is prewired for LED lighting, but I have not put it in.

• motherof3sons
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to all for the comments/recommendations. This is why I stay tuned into GW. Sorry I have been absent the past few days. Here are answers to a few of the questions/comments.

*Dimensions are 69" wide by 64" tall (bottom of crown on FP). We are purchasing a TV with dimensions of 44.8w x 28.5h (50"diagonal).
    *The area is already pre-wired for sound system, electric outlets, ethernet/wifi, etc. The subwoofer will have a dedicated outlet. All other components will be plugged into outlets, no power strips. There are two 4-plug outlets that will be on the back wall of the cabinet and two on the sides.
    *The walls were blocked during construction for heavy items in the area. TV is already on an articulating arm that will be reinstalled.
    * No center channels as we have the Bose 123 system and if we decide to go another way, it will be a sound bar.
    *Construction is solid wood - custom by a local cabinetmaker.
    *The components will sit on the floor of the section housing the TV.
    *There are two pullouts in the lower right.

Sidney4 - It has been a long time! I hope all is good with you. How's the new house? This Illinois winter has been terrible! I am attaching a picture of the opposite side.

Gooster - No little boys anymore other than grandsons. So, the toys will be stored elsewhere!

KSWL & Nosoccermom - the doors probably will be open most of the time, however; when we have company I want the option to close the doors.

• motherof3sons
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I failed to add the built-ins will be painted a creamy white.