Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
demolitionwoman_gw

Cornice, Trim, Door and Wainscotting-match?

DemolitionWoman
10 years ago

We're going to paint our family room this weekend, and I need to pick out the colors soon.

The long (South wall) has one wall that is faux brick paneling, that is going to be painted a very light shade in our pallet-green and aqua. The rest of the walls have wainscotting with a chair rail trim, and the wall above is textured.

West wall has a door to another room in the center of the wall. North wall has a white vinyl slider door with a cornice box above it. To the left is a wall mounted TV, then it goes into another brick wall (faux stone, not panelling) that is behind the pellet stove (in a corner, so the brick wraps around to the next wall. This brick will be whitewashed). East wall has another white vinyl slider with cornice box in the center of that wall, it also has the wainscotting.

The south wall is brick panelling floor to ceiling, and there is an open doorway to the passage at the west end.

Currently the wainscotting, shoe molding, chair molding, door molding, ceiling trim, door and cornice boxes are stained wood the same yellowish pine color.

The wainscotting is going to be painted a darker color than the brick wall, and the upper wall will be the darkest color yet.

We're going to install new flooring, stain color TBD, but likely a darker stained pine plank and the ceiling is a reddish pine plank. I wanted to paint the ceiling white, but DH doesn't want to do that.

So, all that said, I REALLY want the trim, door, cornice, etc painted-I HATE the yellow stain, and I do not want to sand & restain. Should it be painted white (vinyl doors are white, and they're mullioned, so there is a lot of white). Paint the trim at the lower half in the wainscotting color and the upper trim/doors/cornice boxes the upper color? Because we're adding a 3rd wall color (brick wall) will that molding look weird?

The molding in the adjoining rooms is white, but in some of the other rooms it's the wall color.

Please advise-I need to get paint this week and I'm just stuck on this issue.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022